HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[Feb. 13] Ian Schultz sent back to Hamilton

Old
02-14-2012, 10:42 AM
go_habs_go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
**** Andy its not that complicated to understand where i am going ! ITS PG THAT PROVIDES THE SOLDIERS. And well he is ****in useless at providing the proper soldiers.
Yes and no. Yes, Gauthier is the one in charge of call-ups and demotions and what not, BUT, IF Cunneyworth wants or thinks he can use a Ian Schultz in the lineup he will go up to Gauthier and make his point. Pierre would then call-up the player Randy wants.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Yes and no. Yes, Gauthier is the one in charge of call-ups and demotions and what not, BUT, IF Cunneyworth wants or thinks he can use a Ian Schultz in the lineup he will go up to Gauthier and make his point. Pierre would then call-up the player Randy wants.
Because Pierre is famous for calling up toughness.

Beendair Donedat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
OpenIceHit

Who needs Schultz on the 4th line when you already have Gomez, Palushaj and a 7th D playing on it? Besides, our D squad is so good that it would be unfair for the 7th D to sit in the press box. 4th line next game against the softest team in the NHL :

Youppi-Gomez-Budaj

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Mrb1p

**** OFF !!!!!!!!! I WANTED SCHULTZ TO MANHANDLE CHARA, LUCIC, THORNTON AND EVERY OTHER YELLOW *******!

sad i wanted to see him

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Sigh... I could have said "been responsible for a goal every time he stepped on the ice", which would have been another exaggeration that should be easily understood, but obviously that would have been too many words to throw into your malfunctioning readingcomprehension-o-matic. Let me put it another way: it's entirely possible that putting
Schultz on the ice in the NHL
might effectively turn even strength
into a "4 on 5", and teams
"expect" to give up a goal roughly
1 in every 5 times when "short-
handed". Palushaj has, at the very
least, had the chance to prove that
he's nowhere near that level of
liability in the NHL.
What if he played well and scored 5 goals on 5 shifts?

Old
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
habsrock76

The callup of Schultz was odd to begin with, I think a trade fell through yesterday or today thus Schultz sent back down.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
What if he played well and scored 5 goals on 5 shifts?
And what if I win the lottery tomorrow? Let's keep it reasonable here. In his position, if he went out for his first shift and screwed up royally, being partially responsible for a goal against, he might get benched for the rest of the game. Happens to better players, doesn't it? And if the same thing happened the next game, that would make 2 goals against in two shifts played. He probably wouldn't stick around long if the pattern started growing toward 5 games of the same thing. Obviously I exaggerated to make a point, but let me just clean the coffee off my keyboard from you suggesting I seriously consider a scenario in which Ian Schultz scores 5 goals in his first 5 shifts.

And what's with the weird editing that makes my original post look like a poem, or something? lol

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
And what if I win the lottery tomorrow? Let's keep it reasonable here. In his position, if he went out for his first shift and screwed up royally, being partially responsible for a goal against, he might get benched for the rest of the game. Happens to better players, doesn't it? And if the same thing happened the next game, that would make 2 goals against in two shifts played. He probably wouldn't stick around long if the pattern started growing toward 5 games of the same thing. Obviously I exaggerated to make a point, but let me just clean the coffee off my keyboard from you suggesting I seriously consider a scenario in which Ian Schultz scores 5 goals in his first 5 shifts.

And what's with the weird editing that makes my original post look like a poem, or something? lol
You want us to be more reasonable but you keep saying that Schultz will get score on everytime he's on the ice.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
You want us to be more reasonable but you keep saying that Schultz will get score on everytime he's on the ice.
Yes, because 4th liners a) don't get that many shifts anyway, and b) typically have short leashes when it comes to coaches tolerating errors. Add in c) that everyone should be well aware that he is much, much, more likely to be poor defensively in the NHL than he is to be great offensively, so I really don't get where you're going with this counter-attack.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
brokentwigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Didn't he call up White and Schultz?

If RC doesn't play them over Palushaj, well then it's the coach not the GM.

Nothing stopped Randy from playing Schultz over Palushaj yesterday. Also nothing is stopping Randy from telling the GM then Palushaj isn't ready and that he preferred Schultz. What;s next you are going to tell is Gauthier's fault Randy played Palushaj over Ak?

use your head.
I guess Eller is next to be traded as he came out and criticized the way the team played yesterday!!

Sadly, this teams priorities are waaaaay out of whack!

brokentwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Yes, because 4th liners a) don't get that many shifts anyway, and b) typically have short leashes when it comes to coaches tolerating errors. Add in c) that everyone should be well aware that he is much, much, more likely to be poor defensively in the NHL than he is to be great offensively, so I really don't get where you're going with this counter-attack.
I'm just saying that when you're saying that Ian Schultz's gonna get score on during his first 5 shifts, it is complety unreasonnable.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Keep it coming guys. I need a laugh this morning after last night's loss.

Wonder how many of the whiners have actually seen Schultz play.

Bet you they're the same lovely people who wanted Konopka and Stewart signed.
Yeah, dude, I agree with you so much! Picking up Anthony Stewart (who makes 200k more than Darche) is damn stupid. The guy is a bigger, meaner Darche, a better scorer, but who'd want that on this team's bottom six? Especially with proven players Palushaj and Engqvist always ready to take over injured players. That is far-fetched right there.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I'm just saying that when you're saying that Ian Schultz's gonna get score on during his first 5 shifts, it is complety unreasonnable.
Hint: best way to counter something you think is "unreasonable" probably isn't by using something that is even more "unreasonable". Suffice to say, Palushaj is at least overall a positive +/- player in his current "role", meaning his line at least doesn't get scored on very often, and I don't think the same would be true of Schultz if he suited up for 20 games this year, but obviously have no "proof", just "rationalization", for that expectation.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

Quote:
Having said that, you probably have absolutely no idea whether or not other teams around the league dealing with injury/illness have made similar moves, do you. I'm sure if you actually poke around, you'll find that moves like this are not only fairly common around the league, but there's also a pattern of choosing players that possibly could fill in if it comes down to an emergency, but also won't be terribly missed by the AHL team they're being taken from. Players brought up for a look most often get to play. Players brought up to fill in emergency spots don't. In general, of course.

And if you think Schultz is getting a bum deal, you should check out the recalled/reassigned history of Jason Williams on the Penguins. Now true, HE ended up 8 games out of the whole deal, but I think he was recalled/reassigned after 1 day something like 6 or 7 times already this year, and at least 2 of those times he didn't even play a game before getting sent back down.

I know you don't want to hear about stuff like this, because it's easier and more fun to be mad about something for nothing, but it really, really does happen all the time around the league. And chances are you just don't understand the operational logistics/reasons behind it.

Yes, Jason Williams...an NHL veteran of 455 NHL games. Not a young guy who has never played before. Hence why I said they should've called up Willsie, Engqvist, etc. Not sure if you poke around, but that is extremely uncommon for a guy to get called up who has 0 NHL games experience and get sent down. I can only recall it once in recent times (Steve Pinnizotto - Washington) two years ago. I'm not saying to not call up a guy for emergency reasons (Moen may have been hurt, who knows), I'm saying you call up a vet, you don't do that to a rookie.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Hint: best way to counter something you think is "unreasonable" probably isn't by using something that is even more "unreasonable". Suffice to say, Palushaj is at least overall a positive +/- player in his current "role", meaning his line at least doesn't get scored on very often, and I don't think the same would
be true of Schultz if he suited up
for 20 games this year, but
obviously have no "proof", just
"rationalization", for that
expectation.
Uh huh. Great you've got a crystal ball. There's a reason they play the games, because nobody knows how it will play out... Saying Schultz would have 5 goals scored on him is nothing more than speculation. Palushaj's one point in 19 games isn't ultra impressive, considering he doesn't add much of a physical presence.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
Yes, Jason Williams...an NHL veteran of 455 NHL games. Not a young guy who has never played before. Hence why I said they should've called up Willsie, Engqvist, etc. Not sure if you poke around, but that is extremely uncommon for a guy to get called up who has 0 NHL games experience and get sent down. I can only recall it once in recent times (Steve Pinnizotto - Washington) two years ago. I'm not saying to not call up a guy for emergency reasons (Moen may have been hurt, who knows), I'm saying you call up a vet, you don't do that to a rookie.
Just the opposite.

Young guys like Schultz don't have to go thru waivers.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Uh huh. Great you've got a crystal ball. There's a reason they play the games, because nobody knows how it will play out... Saying Schultz would have 5 goals scored on him is nothing more than speculation. Palushaj's one point in 19 games isn't ultra impressive, considering he doesn't add much of a physical presence.
Nobody knows how it will play out? Then why call up leblanc over schultz? Why didn't we call up Tinordi or morgan ellis instead of St-Denis? Why play Budaj when we could call up Mayer, just to see if maybe, just maybe all the evidence collected at the AHL could be invalidated by a short stint at a higher level.

There's a reason some players are called up over others, and there are reasons that some players are kept over others. Nobody is complaining that Leblanc was kept over Engqvist or that he'll likely be kept over Palushaj. Would you have been happy to see White sit for Schultz? I wouldn't.

Posters who have seen Schultz play more than most of us combined (such as Montreal) have commented on how his skating and conditioning weren't up to snuff. Be patient, we'll likely see schultz in call ups next year.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
IF, big if, you have a veteran suited for the role you might need him in. Or maybe even just being around the big club for a day made more of a difference than a mid-year AHL game, as far as management was concerned. Seriously though, I don't think there's a cookie-cutter formula that all GMs use to decide these moves, as teams have different team comps, team expectations/direction and cap situations. Also, Hamilton has a leadership group established (Henry, Willsie), so you're not going to remove guys like that from the AHL team "just in case". Also, potential candidates likely had to be a winger as back up for a winger, so Engqvist wasn't likely to be asked to fill those duties, as I think they might actually be trying to develop his centre game.

Maybe they were willing to use him if they had to because of a game time situation, but maybe they're also glad they didn't have to use him - even if a look at him against NHLers would have been interesting if nothing else. Every point counts right now, though, and I could understand putting a guy like Schultz on an injury reserve list of sorts but still being glad they didn't really need him in the end.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Aurel Joliat

The call-up (and re-assignement) of a tough guy create 590 new posts to HFboards. And everybody was happy (and now sad) about it... Even in the media

I think it's the proof that everybody prefer to have a player like Schultz on the 4the line than Palushaj. Noboday said that it was a bad idea to called him up sunday night. Our reaction was : FINALLY !!!!

People who think that a 4th line with Leblanc, Palushaj, Weber, darche or Gomez is better than one with Schultz or White are completely blind.

We don,t need to wait until Schultz is completely ready. If he is not right now, bring someone else !!!

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Nobody knows how it will play out? Then why call up leblanc over schultz? Why didn't we call up Tinordi or morgan ellis instead of St-Denis? Why play Budaj when we could call up Mayer, just to see if maybe, just maybe all the evidence collected at the AHL could be invalidated by a short stint at a higher level.

There's a reason some players are called up over others, and there are reasons that some players are
kept over others. Nobody is
complaining that Leblanc was kept
over Engqvist or that he'll likely be
kept over Palushaj. Would you
have been happy to see White sit
for Schultz? I wouldn't.

Posters who have seen Schultz
play more than most of us
combined (such as Montreal) have
commented on how his skating
and conditioning weren't up to
snuff. Be patient, we'll likely see
schultz in call ups next year.
You're taking one piece and running off, although I agree with most of what you say. My main point was that there's no way you can make the claim that Schultz would be a detriment on the Ice - to the point of having 5 goals scored against him - without him actually playing a game. Purely speculation.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
things i've learned from this thread = everything is PG's fault.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
You're taking one piece and running off, although I agree with most of what you say. My main point was that there's no way you can make the claim that Schultz would be a detriment on the Ice - to the point of having 5 goals scored against him - without him actually playing a game. Purely speculation.
Well, yes. But I don't think Ohashi meant it that way. Suffice it to say, Schultz is not ready. Not defensively, not offensively, and not even athletically. That being said, I'm one of his bigger fans on this board and I can't wait until he becomes a regular. I think his fighting ability is underrated. I'd hate to have to go against that guy.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Relax guys. If palushaj and the rest fail to provide wins, moen and others may be traded and we might be seeing Schultz again sooner than later.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
things i've learned from this thread = everything is PG's fault.
How dare people criticize the person in charge of a team that will finish in the bottom 5 of the league.

Blasphemy.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Coldplay
Courage

600 posts about Ian ****ing Schultz.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote