HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Face Wash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
You mean the goal where Ericcson was behind him and the puck went off of Jacks skate and went right to him?
Yeah, the play where JJ hadn't controlled Ericcson's stick or took the body, which on a "home plate" defensive team is cardinal sin #1. Something tells me if that was Willie or Scuds, that goal isn't scored. Don't get me wrong JJ is getting better, but he's not worth the money they're paying him.

Quote:
I am looking at it objectively. I see a lot of hype but not a lot of substance. Sures hes shown to be a great goal scorer a few times but beyond that what is there? Hes not a guy whos going to make his teammates better. Hes a guy that needs a star on his line to help him get his stats. And theres no guarantee hes would come in here and produce at a rate higher than hes shown. Im looking at all the factors involved. His contract, his production and the cost of trading for him.
A few times? He's scored 30 goals or more 6 of his 8 full seasons. He's scored 40 or more twice. He's going to be 28-years old in June? There aren't many players in hockey that can boast numbers like these. Certainly none on the trade block. He needs a star to get his points? I doubt he's ever played with a guy as good as Kopi or Richards yet he's still gotten these numbers.

His contract? who cares? are you paying it?

His cap hit? The asset cost to get him? Like I say, The problem the Kings have had in recruiting top UFAs is they're not willing to spend the extra dough or add a year here and there to these deals. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Mainly because they're TOO cap conscious. Because of this, they now have to give up team assets to get what they need. A shame, but still a necessity.

You need stars. This team is doomed to underachieve each year they don't have a star player or two on offense. they have to get this guy.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I'd love Rick Nash. I don't see how people think he's overrated. Every game he's played against the Kings, he's probably been the best player on the ice. His combination of skill, size, and speed is second to none.

Bernier+JJ+pick/prospect.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
I want Rick Nash to be a King so bad. I just hope there is a way to get him without giving up Brown. We need to add to our wingers.

How much more on top of Johnson, Bernier, and a 1st would CBJ want?
If they want more than that then Dean needs to hang up

Old
02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Some of you are crazy! Look at it this way - DL wouldn't pay $7.8m/yr for Gaborik, Kovy or Brad Richards. If he'd offered that money to any of the three, they'd be Kings right now. But you think DL is going to send 3-6 assets to another team just so he can take on a that contract?

Think about it logically, people.

I 100% agree that Nash is an incredible goal-scoring talent. But would a smart GM handcuff himself just to have that piece? We're talking about the 5th highest cap hit in the league. Is Rick Nash REALLY worth that on top of trading a buch of assets to get him?

Old
02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
SFKingshomer

Nash is your typical good player on a terrible team. I rarely see him use his linemates and doubt he would thrive playing here

Old
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Some of you are crazy! Look at it this way - DL wouldn't pay $7.8m/yr for Gaborik, Kovy or Brad Richards. If he'd offered that money to any of the three, they'd be Kings right now. But you think DL is going to send 3-6 assets to another team just so he can take on a that contract?

I 100% agree that Nash is an incredible goal-scoring talent. But would a smart GM handcuff himself just to have that piece? We're talking about the 5th highest cap hit in the league. Is Rick Nash REALLY worth that on top of trading a buch of assets to get him?
Actually, Dean offered more money for Richards than the Rangers did. Besides, Rick Nash is the prototypical Dean Lombardi forward. No doubt in my mind DL will go hard after him.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:19 AM
SuperAlmeida

If we got Nash, would you then give him the role captain?

Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
If the guy gets to 500 goals he sure as hell will be. more than halfway there, 27 years old. Man you people....not looking at this objectively AT ALL!!!
So as long as Nash averages 40 goals a year over the next six seasons he gets there.

Who is looking at this objectively?

Old
kingpest19

Quote:
Yeah, the play where JJ hadn't controlled Ericcson's stick or took the body, which on a "home plate" defensive team is cardinal sin #1. Something tells me if that was Willie or Scuds, that goal isn't scored. Don't get me wrong JJ is getting better, but he's not worth the money they're paying him.

A few times? He's scored 30 goals or more 6 of his 8 full seasons. He's scored 40 or more twice. He's going to be 28-years old in June? There aren't many players in hockey that can boast numbers like these. Certainly none on the trade block. He needs a star to get his points? I doubt he's ever played with a guy as good as Kopi or Richards yet he's still gotten these numbers.

His cap hit? The asset cost to get him? Like I say, The problem the Kings have had in recruiting top UFAs is they're not willing to spend the extra dough or add a year here and there to these deals. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Mainly because they're TOO cap conscious. Because of this, they now have to give up team assets to get what they need. A shame, but still a necessity.

You need stars. This team is doomed to underachieve each year they don't have a star player or two on offense. they have to get this guy.
Hes finished a full season at or above ppg once in his career. He had one season above 70 points once in his career. Yes hes one of the better goal scorers in the league but at that cost no thank you. 5th highest cap hit in the league and one ppg season? And like I said theres no guarantee what so ever that his production increases here. As it is his goal scoring has dropped the last two years and hes looking at another down year this year.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Face Wash

Quote:

Unfortunately, because he DIDN'T offer what he should have to Gaby, Kovy, Richards, Chara, he put himself in a position where he has to trade assets. You need stars to win. Kings don't have any.. they have very good players (could be stars some day), they need a star or two or this is all a waste. They won't win in the playoffs with this team.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
No and I highly doubt they would even consider thinking about it

Old
02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:

He is worth it. Gaborik had been injury prone, Kovy wanted $100M, and Richards isn't a goal scorer. Nash is big, durable, a winger, young, and signed long term. He is the perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
No chance.

Old
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
So as long as Nash averages 40 goals a year over the next six seasons he gets there.

Who is looking at this objectively?
So Nash is only going to play 6 more years? His career will be over at age 34?

I think you need a calculator and some common sense.

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:

Sometimes you have to. What you fail to realize is that superstars aren't coming here via free agency, just ask the players you mentioned above. The only way to do is through trade, but don't tell the tight-fisted one that.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Who are the star forwards for Boston?

Old
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Actually, Dean offered more money for Richards than the Rangers did. Besides, Rick Nash is the prototypical Dean Lombardi forward. No doubt in my mind DL will go hard after him.
You missed the point - we may have offered more than NY, but we didn't offer a contract with a $7.8m/yr cap hit. If we had, he'd likely be a King (that's be $10m MORE than what he signed with NY for).

The point is that DL wouldn't take a contract with that cap hit when it DIDN'T cost him additional assets.

Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
So Nash is only going to play 6 more years? His career will be over at age 34?

I think you need a calculator and some common sense.
Exactly what rate do you think he will produce goals as he gets older, considering he has already started to decline over the last few years?

You think Nash is going to put up huge numbers after he hits 30-31 years of age? Don't lecture me on common sense.

Old
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Hes finished a full season at or above ppg once in his career. He had one season above 70 points once in his career. Yes hes one of the better goal scorers in the league but at that cost no thank you. 5th highest cap hit in the league and one ppg season? And like I said theres no guarantee what so ever that his production increases here. As it is his goal scoring has dropped the last two years and hes looking at another down year this year.
He's paid to score goals... his points mean very little to me...I mean, sure he should have assists like any top-6 fwd, but if he has 50 points and 35 goals, I'm thrilled. Kopi would have 90 points probably.

Guarantees? Hell there's no guarantee you and I will be alive tomorrow. Life is full of calculated risks. DL has missed on all of his lately. He needs to make this one or his career in LA will be finished I believe.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
I honestly believe that was an out-liar. Tim Thomas was the reason they won.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
I think a deal could land Nash and Sanford would be Brown, Bernier, Martinez, draft pick
I'd be all over that if I was DL.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Re read my post. I said the only team that didn't have star forwards was BOS, but they had a Norris winner and Vezina winner at the top of their games and amazing DEPTH scoring.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Sometimes you have to. What you fail to realize is that superstars aren't coming here via free agency, just ask the players you mentioned above. The only way to do is through trade, but don't tell the tight-fisted one that.
And what you fail to realize is that we don't need a superstar via UFA to win a cup. You need a team that has the talent to win a cup. HOW you get that talent does not matter. What matters is that you can put together a COMPLETE team.

Let's say we get Nash - that eat's up all the cap space that Stoll/Penner would free up (who cares, right, sounds good to me) but then you are stuck with what you have. There's no money left to add veterans to the bottom 6. And let's be honest, our bottom 6 is not the bottom 6 that you find on a Championship team. And we haven't even gotten to Quick's next contract yet.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Exactly what rate do you think he will produce goals as he gets older, considering he has already started to decline over the last few years?

You think Nash is going to put up huge numbers after he hits 30-31 years of age? Don't lecture me on common sense.
So the team he's playing on has NOTHING to do with his goal output. The fact that he is playing with NO ONE!

And you think players are dead when they reach age 30? Don't make me list the number of players who AFTER their 30th birthday are still huge point producers and goal scorers in NHL history.

I'll stop lecturing you on it when you start using it.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
SFKingshomer

A winger short of Ovechkin will not be the Kings highest paid player while DL is in charge

Old
02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
You missed the point - we may have offered more than NY, but we didn't offer a contract with a $7.8m/yr cap hit. If we had, he'd likely be a King (that's be $10m MORE than what he signed with NY for).

The point is that DL wouldn't take a contract with that cap hit when it DIDN'T cost him additional assets.
Your math is a little off there. 5 years at 7.5 is 37.5, 7.8 over 5 years is 39.

Quote:
He's paid to score goals... his points mean very little to me...I mean, sure he should have assists like any top-6 fwd, but if he has 50 points and 35 goals, I'm thrilled. Kopi would have 90 points probably.

Guarantees? Hell there's no guarantee you and I will be alive tomorrow. Life is full of calculated risks. DL has missed on all of his lately. He needs to make this one or his career in LA will be finished I believe.
Youre right and at that cost he should be scoring 40 every year but hes not. This will be his third straight year of his goal scoring declining. Will it go back up to 35-40 goal level if he were traded here? Quite possibly and its just as possible that it doesnt go back to that level. For what he brings and what it would cost thats just too big of a risk.

Closed Thread