HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rinaldo gets 2 games for hit on Ericsson

Old
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 500
i'd rather have no suspensions league wide than these unfair and inconsistent suspensions that we have now.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
DUHockey9

Am I the only one who doesn't have much issue with the Rinaldo suspension or the Moore non-suspension?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't have much issue with the Rinaldo suspension or the Moore non-suspension?
Seconded. I don't see anything wrong with Rinaldo being suspended.

Slew-foot on Parise last weekend.

High hit that was a charge this weekend.

IMO, that's a suspension to me.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post

Thirded.

Without the incidents in the NJ game and his comments afterwards, he doesn't get suspended.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

so from now on, every Rinaldo charge or board will lead to suspensions. You will be ok with that? might as well stick him in the pressbox. the league will try to nueter him. if he cant hit then well he isnt effective.
I didnt have an issue with the fine on the slewfoot. I didnt like him doing that, that was stupid. But to suspend him for this was just stupid. It was a 2 minute minor for charging and even that was questionale. I think the impact of the hit lifted his skates up more then anything.
no contact with the head. 2 game suspension. very, very weak IMO

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:08 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Thirded.

Without the incidents in the NJ game and his comments afterwards, he doesn't get suspended.

I agree here with this. If he didn't slew foot Parise, and then admit it after the fact. He wouldn't of been suspended for the hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so from now on, every Rinaldo charge or board will lead to suspensions. You will be ok with that? might as well stick him in the pressbox. the league will try to nueter him. if he cant hit then well he isnt effective.
I didnt have an issue with the fine on the slewfoot. I didnt like him doing that, that was stupid. But to suspend him for this was just stupid. It was a 2 minute minor for charging and even that was questionale. I think the impact of the hit lifted his skates up more then anything.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I was stating because the SLEW FOOT happened last weekend, and he admitted to it being a slew foot. The next weekend, he takes a questionable charging, where he took about 6-7 strides to make contact with Ericsson. I don't see how it's questionable, he took 6-7 strides and then made contact with Ericsson slightly high. I'd be willing to say that if he didn't slew foot Parise and then admit to it, he doesn't get suspended for this hit on Ericsson.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I dont know why people are surprised. Look, a reputation throughout your hockey career is going to be noticed anywhere you go. Happens in every single sport. Im a ref in a different sport, and honestly, it just happens. Human nature. He is going to get called for anything borderline and above. This is going to happen throughout his however long NHL career.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Yeah I'll be ok with that. You're not supposed to be charging or boarding in the sport to begin with. They're illegal hits. If Rinaldo starts getting suspended for legal hits, then I'll mind. Don't act like he can't still throw his weight around, that's a crock. As much a crock as everyone still *****ing about the suspension in this thread. It's not that hard to understand...

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I was stating because the SLEW FOOT happened last weekend, and he admitted to it being a slew foot. The next weekend, he takes a questionable charging, where he took about 6-7 strides to make contact with Ericsson. I don't see how it's questionable, he took 6-7 strides and then made contact with Ericsson slightly high. I'd be willing to say that if he didn't slew foot Parise and then admit to it, he doesn't get suspended for this hit on Ericsson.
It was a 2 minute minor for charging. nothing more. thats what I am trying to say. the suspension is quesionable due to Shanahan's inconsistancy. he didnt have to admit to the slewfoot. its on tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yeah I'll be ok with that. You're not supposed to be charging or boarding in the sport to begin with. They're illegal hits. If Rinaldo starts getting suspended for legal hits, then I'll mind. Don't act like he can't still throw his weight around, that's a crock. As much a crock as everyone still *****ing about the suspension in this thread. It's not that hard to understand...
My point is if he knows he may get suspended for every charge or board that he commits then he may be thinking well, I better not hit this guy then. I am not saying he wont be able to throw his way around, I am just saying he may not hit as much now knowing that he is now on a very short leash. even when its just 2 minute minors hes commiting. He is a young player and he start backing off hitting guys.
The refs know who he is obviously. You dont think there is a chance he is going to get sent to the box more now for legal checks? Its going to happen.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
It was a 2 minute minor for charging. nothing more. thats what I am trying to say. the suspension is quesionable due to Shanahan's inconsistancy. he didnt have to admit to the slewfoot. its on tape.

My point is if he knows he may get suspended for every charge or board that he commits then he may be thinking well, I better not hit this guy then. I am not saying he wont be able to throw his way around, I am just saying he may not hit as much now knowing that he is now on a very short leash. even when its just 2 minute minors hes commiting. He is a young player and he start backing off hitting guys.
The refs know who he is obviously. You dont think there is a chance he is going to get sent to the box more now for legal checks? Its going to happen.
I really don't think he's been called for that many reputation calls this year. From the games I've seen this year, they've let him play for the most part. Now suspensions are another story. As long as he doesn't turn into a Matt Cooke softie (which I still think is BS, he'll be back to his old ways next year once his name moves off the books)

Old
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
mirimon

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with the Rinaldo suspension, but I can understand it. I don't think it's a hit that should result in a suspension, but considering his slew foot and late hit just a little while back it makes some sense that things add up after a while, I suppose.

I thought the Moore hit looked terrible at first, and was sure that he would be out for a long time, but I hadn't seen that other angle. I'm ok with that not being a suspension for sure.

The only real problem I have with these things is that they take into consideration if the guy getting hit is injured or not. I don't think that should really be important when handing out suspensions/fine.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
no, it really didn't. they froze the video at the moment of impact and he was quite clearly off the ice at that point.

and he won't get suspended every time he charges, but when he does it less than a week after committing a dirty play against a very good player, he probably will be suspended.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
no, it really didn't. they froze the video at the moment of impact and he was quite clearly off the ice at that point.

and he won't get suspended every time he charges, but when he does it less than a week after committing a dirty play against a very good player, he probably will be suspended.

Suspensions shouldn't be built on cummulative actions. They should be based on each action and the player be punished accordingly. This is no different than before Shanahan came along.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

somehow i think we'll survive

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
iHateDonovan

Quote:

Get over the slew-foot on Parise. It was a dumb mistake, everyone takes "idiotic" penalties. This is hockey, not some cutesy figure skating pageant. As for the "high hit" he got called charging on; it was a debatable call that I can see going both ways. He was penalized for it, and that should be the end of it.

I don't understand how you can justify a suspension for a "charging" call where the other player wasn't injured. Ericsson is 6'4 while Rinaldo is 5'11. Of course he's going to have to hit high on a guy that's 5 inches taller than him. The video shows Rinaldo leaving his feet; or as Shanahan so lovingly puts it "launching himself." Sure, call it a charge that's fine with me, but there is absolutely no need to hand out a 2 game suspension.

Bottom line: Ericsson should have been more aware of his surroundings on the ice and should not have left himself susceptible of getting hit. Rinaldo did his time in the cubical of shame, and it should of ended there. Now more so than ever Rinaldo will have himself a bad(er) reputation around the NHL. So, whenever Rinaldo delivers a big hit or has a questionable penalty Shannhan will sit in his 8 bedroom, 5 bathroom Duxbury estate, slip on his most comfortable silk robe, crack open a Sam Adams, light up a Don Arturo cigar and ponder to himself "how I can **** Rinaldo in the ass this time."

iHateDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateDonovan View Post
Get over the slew-foot on Parise. It was a dumb mistake, everyone takes "idiotic" penalties. This is hockey, not some cutesy figure skating pageant. As for the "high hit" he got called charging on; it was a debatable call that I can see going both ways. He was penalized for it, and that should be the end of it.

I don't understand how you can justify a suspension for a "charging" call where the other player wasn't injured. Ericsson is 6'4 while Rinaldo is 5'11. Of course he's going to have to hit high on a guy that's 5 inches taller than him. The video shows Rinaldo leaving his feet; or as Shanahan so lovingly puts it "launching himself." Sure, call it a charge that's fine with me, but there is absolutely no need to hand out a 2 game suspension.

Bottom line: Ericsson should have been more aware of his surroundings on the ice and should not have left himself susceptible of getting hit. Rinaldo did his time in the cubical of shame, and it should of ended there. Now more so than ever Rinaldo will have himself a bad(er) reputation around the NHL. So, whenever Rinaldo delivers a big hit or has a questionable penalty Shannhan will sit in his 8 bedroom, 5 bathroom Duxbury estate, slip on his most comfortable silk robe, crack open a Sam Adams, light up a Don Arturo cigar and ponder to himself "how I can **** Rinaldo in the ass this time."
I don't think everyone does take dumb mistakes, actually...most slew foots are calculated. 2 game suspension was fair. Rinaldo was in position to lay a legal check, and decided to leave his feet.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
rx7dryver

Redwing fan here. That was a borderline minor penalty and did not in any way deserve a suspension.

rx7dryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Flyerfan4life

to me its starting (or has been for awhile) when it comes to Rinaldo and how effective he is at massive checks.

its more likely then not, penalty's by the ref are handed out depending on the crowds reaction, if the crowd is loud and they usualy do get so, the refs seem to rethink about calling it.

some of the calls have been well after the fact.

i swear the refs only make the penalty call because of the noise the crowd makes..

if its loud, surely it must have been a penalty..

its ****en bogus.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote