HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Radio discussion (ESPN1050 moving to 98.7)

Old
02-14-2012, 12:25 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
I grew up listening to Mike and the Maddog and still listen to Francesa to this day. The bottom line is he doesn't know ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING. In today's world of following sports, the only way to be on top of things is to be on the internet, on twitter, checking live box scores, etc. Francesa's knowledge base is by watching the games (NFL and MLB mostly) and talking to his contacts when he needs some inside info.

I wouldn't be offended as a hockey fan. Francesa probably couldn't name 10 college basketball players right now either. Lets say he sees a part of a Kentucky game...he'll come in the next day and say "you know who's gonna be a great pro. The big kid from Kentucky. Not a good pro...a great pro." Meanwhile I have some ****** accounting job while my unparalleled sports knowledge goes to waste. Ay dios mio.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:04 AM
kennglin13

I have learned Don Lagreca on the Michael Kay show sneaks hockey in (he used to do NHL Live).

Yesterday somebody called in on the Mike Lupica show and told Lupica that he wanted him to "open the show with hockey one day this week" and Mike Lupica agreed to it, even said he would mention it in the tease.

Francesa puts me to sleep, after Benigno and Roberts I switch to 1050 to get me through my work day

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Yeah, come on guys. BOS had plenty of fans before the Cup too.

Now, Pittsburgh and DC on the other hand...
Boston was near the bottom of the league every year in attendance until 08-09 when they won the East. Half the city boycotted the Bruins even though they were usually a playoff team.

In 03-04 Boston finished #2 in the East, #21 in attendance. In 01-02 Boston finished #1 in the East, #25 in attendance.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

I'm a die-hard Ranger fan who lives in Toronto......our sports radio stations(590 & 1050) talk Leafs and hockey 24/7 with a sprinkling of Blue Jay and Raptor discussion(both teams have shows dedicated to them though).I am surprised to hear no stations in NY talk hockey.I get the local Buffalo station and they talk tons of Sabres(granted they only have 2 pro teams)....It's sad as the Rangers are an original 6 team with lots of history and a great team this year with some excellent young talent and a most likely a HOF goaltender.
I guess with the Giants SB win,the Yankees and Mets and now Linsanity(seriously after 5 games people are ga ga for this guy),there's no room for this 1st place Ranger team.*sigh*

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Crease

Honest question: How do Canadian stations spend so much time discussing hockey on the radio? I mean, what do they talk about? Most NY Sports talk is centered around controversies. Aside from the occasional bad call, there's not much in the way of controversy in NY Rangers land. Maybe trade talk?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Honestly, I don't want to hear most of these people have to say about the Rangers. Even those commentators who are fans, such as Steve Somers or Joe Beningo come off cartoonishly uninformed. Somebody called Somers about what the Rangers should do at the trade deadline, and I'm thinking, really, you need Steve Somers' opinion on what the Rangers should do?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well shouldn't the same be said for any kind of sports talk radio? I mean why should anyone care what any of these analysts care or think? They're wrong most of the time anyway and their opinions aren't worth any more than anyone else's here. It's nice to hear an interview from a member of your team, but they never say anything special or unexpected anyway.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Tundra

Scoot Ferrell on Sporting News radio (now on Sirius doing an all-around format) used to talk hockey all the time but that was 6 or 7 years ago. I think he did color for the Thrashers for a year as well. As far as local personalities no one talks hockey and forget about any in-depth discussion of the game. It's all Knicks, NY football and baseball. It puts me sleep hearing about who should be the Yankees' lefthanded DH for the 1200th time.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:47 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Honestly, I don't want to hear most of these people have to say about the Rangers. Even those commentators who are fans, such as Steve Somers or Joe Beningo come off cartoonishly uninformed. Somebody called Somers about what the Rangers should do at the trade deadline, and I'm thinking, really, you need Steve Somers' opinion on what the Rangers should do?
This. Even guys who "know about hockey" like LaGreca spend half the show making statements like, "the key to winning tonight is Richards breaking his slump" or "Lundqvist is the best goalie in hockey". I don't need obvious statements as filler hockey talk. Now, granted, I've heard LaGreca talk on NHL live and he definitely knows hockey, but he dumbs it down when he's on ESPN radio. It's like listening to NFL announcers when they drone on: "if the FOOTBALL giants are going to win this FOOTBALL game, they will have to run the FOOTBALL and outscore the other FOOTBALL team!" Fake insight is something I can do without in hockey, and LaGreca (on NHL Live), Somers and Joe and Evan all provide fake insight..."Callahan is a true leader in the locker room"...Really? No way! Tell me more o wise one! Is Lundqvist the key to our season? Do wins only happen when we score more than the opponent? If we score a PP goal but nobody sees it, does our percentage still go up?

As far as I'm concerned, if I listen to 20 minutes of sports talk and I don't learn anything new (ESPN TV does this to me a lot), I consider it fluff insight and a waste of my energy. Francesa IMO is very good at avoiding this fluff when it comes to NFL and MLB. He cannot do this with NHL..he understands this as do his listeners. His Lundqvist interview was enjoyable, but there were no tough questions (Mike is famous for those questions) that give you some kind of insight that you might not get from a normal interview by someone who is afraid to ask tough questions. Even with some of the horrid callers at WFAN, once in a while you get one that provides an interesting viewpoint or statistic that makes listening worth while. I enjoy that Francesa loses patience with dumb callers that provide nothing because just as he doesn't want to waste his time, I don't want to waste mine.

To the poster who is going to call Francesa and complain about the lack of hockey on the radio...I'd personally prefer if you didn't...I don't want him to talk about hockey and I don't want to listen to you wasting time on his show to complain (because some NHL fans cannot get over their inferiority complex without some kind of public acknowledgment or validation of hockey) so he can shoot you down.

Francesa doesn't owe you anything...you (and I) enjoy a niche sport - deal with it. For the forseeable future, it is going to remain a niche sport.

If you want to watch a sport people talk about, watch football or baseball.

If you don't like what Francesa does, don't listen....or write a letter to the station.

Last edited by sousuffer: 02-14-2012 at 04:57 PM.
sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
dimi19

great post sousuffer

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:37 PM
ratdog07067

When was the last time the Knicks and Rangers were both playing on the same night and the Knicks were bumped to 970AM or pushed down the dial to MSG+2?

Unfortunately, MSG brass knows as well as the local sports talk stations that hoops just does better ratings so gets better coverage.

Like sousuffer said, it is a niche sport.

ratdog07067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog07067 View Post
When was the last time the Knicks and Rangers were both playing on the same night and the Knicks were bumped to 970AM or pushed down the dial to MSG+2?

Unfortunately, MSG brass knows as well as the local sports talk stations that hoops just does better ratings so gets better coverage.

Like sousuffer said, it is a niche sport.
a few years ago actually.. they got bumped off msg also

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
varanger94

This subject is one that I am so passionate about. I constantly let WFAN and 1050 know how I feel. There is strength in numbers. I feel like so many Hockey fans have given up and just except this bull. The reason so many hosts choose to ignore Hockey is very simple. Itís the jerks, who know nothing about the sport, that would rather talk about a Table Tennis match before Hockey. There biggest fear is coming across like an idiot on the air. The next biggest reason is that they consider it too much work to put the time in to watch both a Hockey game and something they know about, Basketball. Iíve Emailed them and suggested that there is a thing called Rangers in 60. Benningo is an example of a host that talked hockey when he did overnights, but now that heís a big shot, he all but ignores Hockey.

Fatcessa and Carton are my two biggest irritating a holes. If I have to hear Nobody loves Hockey Boomer one more time. I wish Boomer would put a stop to it. Then thereís Fatcessa. The biggest ego in the world could never allow himself to look foolish. I used to love, even back in 94, whenever he and the Dog would put a caller though, it was always right before a break, so that when they came back they would just change the subject. 1050, the teams home. Listen to who ever is on right after a Ranger game. Nothing. You hear nothing about the Rangers.

Take a few minutes and let these stations know how you feel!!
Strength in numbers.

[IMG][/IMG]

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:24 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

simple ... ratings ... sad but true

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

SiriusXM NHL Home Ice is a hockey fan's best friend regarding radio.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:10 PM
DolphZiggler
Rookie User

I remember when Mike and Maddog were together and Russo in one afternoon would talk more about tennis then the two of them would about hockey for the whole year. Even now there are days when Mike will talk about golf or horse racing all day but God forbid a mention of hockey.

I guess though I'd rather not hear it talked about at all if the people doing so aren't knowledgeable. Joe and Evan mention it once in a while but they don't know much. And Mike's interview with Henrik earlier this year was terrible, how many times leading up to the interview, during the interview, and after it was he going to say well I'm not much of a hockey guy so..... The worst part of the interview was when he said to Henrik something along the lines of I'm not much of a hockey guy so I asked some of the hockey guys around the station for some questions to ask. And the question they came up with was something like do you think this team has what it takes? Really that's the best they could come up with?

DolphZiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Watching sportscenter, they just went over the Rangers Boston game

Lundqvist is apparently pronounced Loonquist, and Artem's last name is Asimov.

These ****s have no idea what they're talking about, and it's painfully obvious.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:47 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Boomer is wearing a Lundqvist sweater right now, what a poser.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:50 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

The worst is when any of these talking heads make an analogy to another sport when talking about hockey. They do this because they've no clue on how to analyze it for what it is a hockey game/play.

Old
02-15-2012, 05:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
SiriusXM NHL Home Ice is a hockey fan's best friend regarding radio.

Yup, Scott Laughlin and the PowerPlay is great listen.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:58 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Jeremy Lin is great for the Knicks, but terrible for the Rangers. It's really stealing a lot of the attention that should be given to the blueshirts.

Old
02-15-2012, 06:09 AM
BlessThisMess513

Boomer just said that "Theres no one else I'd rather have for the up coming big games than Rick Nash"

BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:57 AM
bumrusherer

I dont think its ratings. I mean, look at Francesa for example...he will go off on tangents for certain sports that are not as popular as Hockey but every year, without fail will dedicate shows to these niche sports.

Like others have said, it comes down to knowledge and the interest of the host. The Rangers may not be as popular as the Knicks but we damn sure have enough of a fanbase where decent dialogue could be struck up on the radio, if someone would make a commitment to it.

Heck, just an hour the day after a game or the day of a big game would suffice.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:25 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I wonder how this coverage compares to our 94 cup run? I can only imagine it was better then.

Old
02-15-2012, 07:29 AM
rick063092

I've listened to Joe B. since his overnight days, even he always admitted he doesn't pay attention to hockey until after the all-star break and more likely closer to playoff time..

Mike and the Dog never talked hockey except 94..Mike'll still bring up how many playoff games him and Dog went to between Knicks/Rangers in 94 (in the 30's)..

rick063092 is offline   Reply With Quote