HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Chicago @ Nashville - I get knocked down

Old
02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
VFL615*

vCash: 500
I got an idea. How about we beat the tar out of the Blackhawks everytime they come to Nashville. That is the quickest way to keep another teams fans out of your building. Also how about a step up by Preds fans in buying tickets so their are not as many for the last minutes Hawks fan who figures out they are playing in Nashville on so and so night.

The Blues game on Saturday all you heard was "lets go bluuuuues" before the game. Nashville quickly shut them up in the first period. I walked all over that arena and did not hear 1 peep of "lets go bluuuues" between the 2 and 3 periods.

Beat them at home and fans of the other teams will not be in the stands to be loud and annoying.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I got an idea. How about we beat the tar out of the Blackhawks everytime they come to Nashville. That is the quickest way to keep another teams fans out of your building. Also how about a step up by Preds fans in buying tickets so their are not as many for the last minutes Hawks fan who figures out they are playing in Nashville on so and so night.

The Blues game on Saturday all you heard was "lets go bluuuuues" before the game. Nashville quickly shut them up in the first period. I walked all over that arena and did not hear 1 peep of "lets go bluuuues" between the 2 and 3 periods.

Beat them at home and fans of the other teams will not be in the stands to be loud and annoying.
Agreed!!! But that's a little out of our hands. The boys on the ice need to take care of business.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
hasn't scored enough on the 4th line I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
What's up with this Halischuk scratching nonsense?
Might be hurt - a nagging injury that needs time to heal and they want him ready for a playoff run. He could be part of a trade package and they don't want to risk injury.

Based on his production, I'm not sure why he would sit.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Newlywed?? No fancy pants restaurant for me. I'm taking my wife to cozy little venue on Broadway.
Not really. Got married a year ago after living together for 16 years. We didn't want to rush in to anything. If we lived in Nashville we'd be dinning tonight at Paradise Park tonight before the puck drop. We will be there on the 25th for the Sharks. She loves Joe Thornton and given the chance she'd have his kids So I thought this would be a win/win kind of gift. She gets to see #19 and I get to see a game.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Sleazoid
Who needs offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I made my first ever bet with vcash. Don't let me down boys.
Same here. WIN THIS!

Sleazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:46 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Agreed!!! But that's a little out of our hands. The boys on the ice need to take care of business.
I know. The fans are here to support them now its time for them to give 110% for 60 minutes.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Not really. Got married a year ago after living together for 16 years. We didn't want to rush in to anything. If we lived in Nashville we'd be dinning tonight at Paradise Park tonight before the puck drop. We will be there on the 25th for the Sharks. She loves Joe Thornton and given the chance she'd have his kids So I thought this would be a win/win kind of gift. She gets to see #19 and I get to see a game.
We decided to move back to Middle TN 2 years ago. She wanted to be closer to her family. I wanted to be closer to Nashville (and the Preds). If we still lived in East TN, I'd be on the hook for a nice dinner as well.

Hope the replay will be worth watching for you.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
ChiHawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
For instance, what if it were a tradition in Nashville for the lower bowl to throw garbage on the ice after a victory? You know, a celebration by just letting loose. No one is getting hurt. The game is over, so it won't be delayed. It's just a tradition, and the only harm done is some folks have to work a bit of overtime sweeping it up. Does that suddenly mean it's ok for Nashville fans sitting in the lower bowl of another arena to toss their garbage on the ice if the Preds win? No! It's disrespectful because it isn't their own arena.
there is a huge difference in throwing garbage and cheering. Nashville fans do the "you suck" chant in chicago. It doesnt hurt anything its a chant that your fans use.

Is it disrespectful when detriot fans come to chicago and yell lets go red wings? not because its just fans cheering...Its what they are supposed to do.

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:21 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of people cheering during the anthem at all. It always bothers me when people start cheering during the last line, but a lot of the time I can write it off as "well, the song SHOULD have been over 2 minutes ago".

With that said, if Chicago fans want to cheer during the entire anthem, fine. Let them... IN Chicago. Just because it's a tradition does not mean it's acceptable to carry it around to other arenas.

For instance, what if it were a tradition in Nashville for the lower bowl to throw garbage on the ice after a victory? You know, a celebration by just letting loose. No one is getting hurt. The game is over, so it won't be delayed. It's just a tradition, and the only harm done is some folks have to work a bit of overtime sweeping it up. Does that suddenly mean it's ok for Nashville fans sitting in the lower bowl of another arena to toss their garbage on the ice if the Preds win? No! It's disrespectful because it isn't their own arena.

Similarly, going to another arena and shouting "Blues" in place of "brave" in the line "home of the brave" is disrespectful. Stars fans shouting "stars!". Chicago fans cheering throughout the entire thing. Those things are perfectly fine in their respective home cities. When you visit another arena you should be respectful of that arena and those fans. You are not expected to cheer for the home team, learn the chants, and otherwise partake in our traditions, but if your own tradition is viewed as disrespectful you should shelve it for that one game.

Traditions are meant for home town crowds. You participate with your fellow fans in your shared city the way you always have.
Forcing others to be a part of your traditions is rude.
Why aren't we doing this?

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:22 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Got a bad feeling about tonight. Hawks are due one and we are playing poorly. Not a good combo!
agree. we broke Ottawa's losing streak, then got Boston back on track after they were embarassed by Buffalo.

Im not feeling too confident today... would love to be wrong, of course...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of people cheering during the anthem at all. It always bothers me when people start cheering during the last line, but a lot of the time I can write it off as "well, the song SHOULD have been over 2 minutes ago".

With that said, if Chicago fans want to cheer during the entire anthem, fine. Let them... IN Chicago. Just because it's a tradition does not mean it's acceptable to carry it around to other arenas.

Forcing others to be a part of your traditions is rude.
Well said, TMI. I don't mind the chanting during a game. It just makes our fans that much louder, and our crowd should be loud enough to drown out visitors, anyway. But I am bothered by disrespect for the Anthem. I understand that, a number of years ago, this "tradition" of yelling during the Anthem got started at the United Center and that's how it is there. However, it is not appropriate and even though it may be done with the best of intentions, it does not show proper respect:

United States Code, 36 U.S.C. 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. Recently enacted law in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.

The recent additional clearly shows this is not something that was just written down at one point and is no longer in vogue. Ignorance doesn't make someone less rude.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
there is a huge difference in throwing garbage and cheering. Nashville fans do the "you suck" chant in chicago. It doesnt hurt anything its a chant that your fans use.

Is it disrespectful when detriot fans come to chicago and yell lets go red wings? not because its just fans cheering...Its what they are supposed to do.
You have to understand that Southerners are more patriotic than Northerners, and they see interrupting the National Anthem as disrespectful. It's a different culture, and when you visit different cultures you adapt to theirs, not the other way around.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
You have to understand that Southerners are more patriotic than Northerners, and they see interrupting the National Anthem as disrespectful. It's a different culture, and when you visit different cultures you adapt to theirs, not the other way around.
I wouldn't throw that accusation around too much. It's not a proven fact, and although the south is portrayed as being certain ways in "loving our country" (call it what you want) but I wouldn't go off calling people in certain geographic areas "less patriotic" than you. I agree that the culture in the south is different than up north but that really at the end of the day has nothing to do with how much people love their country.

I grew up in Nashville and I don't personally see anything wrong with with Chicago fans do because it's their tradition and they aren't doing it to be obnoxious. I don't see it as disrespectful. I think the Stars and Blues anthem 'traditions' are more obnoxious than the Hawks'. They're just blurting out parts of the song that coincidentally share the name of their teams. I think that's dumb. And speaking of regional stereotypes, that dumb Stars one is full of Texans and St. Louis isn't really peoples' definition of a "northerner", so by your theory, Dallas fans should never say anything during the anthem because they love their country so much.

Last edited by Drake744: 02-14-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I wouldn't throw that accusation around too much. It's not a proven fact, and although the south is portrayed as being certain ways in "loving our country" (call it what you want) but I wouldn't go off calling people in certain geographic areas "less patriotic" than you. I agree that the culture in the south is different than up north but that really at the end of the day has nothing to do with how much people love their country.

I grew up in Nashville and I don't personally see anything wrong with with Chicago fans do because it's their tradition and they aren't doing it to be obnoxious.
I wouldn't throw that accusation around too much.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Preds311

Quote:

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever about the patriotism thing. In fact, I would challenge it being the other way around.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

I grew up in Nashville and I don't personally see anything wrong with with Chicago fans do because it's their tradition and they aren't doing it to be obnoxious. I don't see it as disrespectful. I think the Stars and Blues anthem 'traditions' are more obnoxious than the Hawks'. They're just blurting out parts of the song that coincidentally share the name of their teams. I think that's dumb. And speaking of regional stereotypes, that dumb Stars one is full of Texans and St. Louis isn't really peoples' definition of a "northerner", so by your theory, Dallas fans should never say anything during the anthem because they love their country so much.
I'd much rather have fans yell a random word once and than making noise the entire song. Honestly though, I don't care either way.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever about the patriotism thing. In fact, I would challenge it being the other way around.
Just my observation from living in both places. I probably shouldn't have brought it up since it's a sensitive subject

Old
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post

I would suggest that if you don't know the difference between cheering during the game and during the NATIONAL ANTHEM then perhaps you need a Civics refresher.

this might help ya as a start..... http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/36/I/A/3/301

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:32 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
I think I agree with most regarding Blackhawk fan's disrespectful behavior during the National Anthem but I think your statement is false. I have lived in both and, though Northerners and Southerners might express patriotism in different ways, saying that one is more patriotic than another is just goofy.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
PhoneGuy

I guess my question would be "are they cheering the anthem (and thus the USA)" or are they just trying to pump the Hawks up?? I've read that the tradition started as the latter.

Regardless, I do find it disrespectful.

A tradition I wouldn't mind seeing get started would be the fans all singing the anthem, like our brethren to the north do. Tres cool!

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
My brother serves on a Navy destroyer and my sister and uncle are in the Air National Guard. All have spent considerable amounts of time outside of the US.

I take my cue from them, and they aren't jumping up and down like idiots while the words "What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming" are ringing through the arena air.

anyway, can't wait to get back on track tonight against the Hawks.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I think I agree with most regarding Blackhawk fan's disrespectful behavior during the National Anthem but I think your statement is false. I have lived in both and, though Northerners and Southerners might express patriotism in different ways, saying that one is more patriotic than another is just goofy.
Poor choice of words on my part. "Different" is what I meant.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
ChiHawk21

So far i have gotten throwing garbage on the ice is pretty much the same thing as cheering and that southerners like america more then northerners.

fans also stand and cheer when they highlight the military men in the crowd that they bring in for free to each game. they also cheer when they are brought down to the ice for the signing of the anthem. also when the flag is pointed to by the singer. Saying the cheering is fans trying to be obnoxious is rediculous.

If that was your tradition you know good and well that you wouldnt think it was disrespectful. At least no more then the southern (love america more) Dallas stars yelling in the middle of the anthem.

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:00 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Let's just be honest....most hawks fans that come to games here are obnoxious. Notice I said "most." But, hey, it makes the games fun and spirited.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I may have an issue with the Hawks fans in our building-- there was never an issue before they won the cup, so I suspect there's a lot of "new-jersey" type fans. No big deal. If we win, we'll have the same thing.

Prior to the death of Bill Wirtz, we never had an issue with the Hawks fans in our arena.

With all that said, the cheering during the anthem is annoying as a home fan, but I don't think it's "disrespectful" and i don't begrudge their tradition.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote