HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
  #926
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Sloan also played the nottom e lines for the last half of huscareert he will do just fine on the 3rd line

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:11 PM
  #927
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Just curious on peoples thoughts on Pulford at 309?
Great player he was a key player on the leafs teams of the 60's

I posted ny line up cause I like my strenght up the middle


Last edited by seventieslord: 02-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:15 PM
  #928
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Leafs Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Sloan also played the nottom e lines for the last half of huscareert he will do just fine on the 3rd line
It's not that he can't play bottom-6. It's that Jarvis, because of his defensive ability, is better suited for a 3rd line role. Sloan has no real defensive ability at this level, but toughness/energy is more suited for a 4th line role.

What lines they played in in real life gets somewhat thrown out the window with the talent level of the ATD as well.

Leafs Forever is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:17 PM
  #929
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
It's not that he can't play bottom-6. It's that Jarvis, because of his defensive ability, is better suited for a 3rd line role. Sloan has no real defensive ability at this level, but toughness/energy is more suited for a 4th line role.

What lines they played in in real life gets somewhat thrown out the window with the talent level of the ATD as well.
Where is the stone tablet from the hockey gods upon which it is written that the 3rd line in an ATD has to be the "defensive shutdown forward line"?

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:18 PM
  #930
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
I'll take two-way right wing sniper, Danny Gare
Here's a guy who I think would have worked well as the RW on a Brindamour led two-way line.

jarek is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
  #931
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Sloan also played the nottom e lines for the last half of huscareert he will do just fine on the 3rd line
by that logic, he'd also do just fine on a 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Where is the stone tablet from the hockey gods upon which it is written that the 3rd line in an ATD has to be the "defensive shutdown forward line"?
It's absolutely not written anywhere. There are many different formulas. We were simply providing suggestions. He can do with them whatever he chooses. It's not like we typically advance further in the draft than he does or anything...

seventieslord is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
  #932
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
It's absolutely not written anywhere. There are many different formulas. We were simply providing suggestions. He can do with them whatever he chooses. It's not like we typically advance further in the draft than he does or anything...
And it isn't like you have a pre-existing clique that is dogmatic about a formula and therefore is inclined to support teams built in that image..

Not that I am saying that blueprint for a team is wrong, it is very common.. I just think we need to shake stuff up around here a bit and see where the chips fall if we want to learn anything.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
  #933
Hawkman
Moderator
Deacon Blues
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Where is the stone tablet from the hockey gods upon which it is written that the 3rd line ... has to be the "defensive shutdown forward line"?
The traditional lines are 1. Scoring 2. Two-Way 3. Checking 4. Momentum.

Hawkman is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
  #934
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Leafs Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
Hey, I've built unconventional third lines as well in the past (in the LC ATD anyway); I don't mind shaking things up.

The other issue there, and why I prefer Jarvis on the 3rd, is that I think his talents are wasted there a lot more than Sloan's. Unless LL intends to play his 4th line a lot.

Leafs Forever is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
  #935
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
The traditional lines are 1. Scoring 2. Two-Way 3. Checking 4. Momentum.
Everyone here knows this.. at least I would hope haha

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
  #936
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
The traditional lines are 1. Scoring 2. Two-Way 3. Checking 4. Momentum.
Hmmm...my formula was always Scoring - Scoring - Two-way - [don't suck]

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
  #937
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Hmmm...my formula was always Scoring - Scoring - Two-way - [don't suck]


That is the hard part.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
  #938
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Hmmm...my formula was always Scoring - Scoring - Two-way - [don't suck]
I'd only change "don't suck" to adding something that might be missing above. Could be a PP or PK specialist. Could be some toughness. Could be extra offense if your top end is weak.

Dreakmur is online now  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  #939
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
The traditional lines are 1. Scoring 2. Two-Way 3. Checking 4. Momentum.
Assuming I get the guy I want here with this pick after papershoes, my lines are going to look.....different lol.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
  #940
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,558
vCash: 500
I've had a lot of fun (and decent success) filling my 4th line with guys who were more like the "BPA who isn't one-dimensional". If you're playing 4th vs. 4th I think it is nice to know that for those 8-10 minutes you should be running the table. I can't name names right now but a lot of those guys I've had in the past few drafts I am pretty proud of. Martin St. Louis is one for sure.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
  #941
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
selects

Tod Sloan C

SEASONS 13
RS:745 220 262 482 831
PO:47 9 12 21 47

OHA-Jr. MVP (1946)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1956) Played in NHL All-Star Game (1951, 1952, 1956)
Stanley Cups 2


Coach: Scotty Bowman

Bobby Hull-Max Bentley-Cam Neely
xxxxxxxxxx-Darryl Sittler-xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx-Tod Sloan-xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx-Doug Jarvis-xxxxxxxxxxx

Carl Brewer-Nikolai Sologubov

Turk Broda
I honestly think you'd be better off with Sittler centering Bobby Hull, rather than Max Bentley. Bobby Hull loves skating the puck up ice himself, which limits the amount of dipsy-doodling Max can do.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:06 PM
  #942
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
bentley is a top 60 player of all time sittler is top 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Hey, I've built unconventional third lines as well in the past (in the LC ATD anyway); I don't mind shaking things up.

The other issue there, and why I prefer Jarvis on the 3rd, is that I think his talents are wasted there a lot more than Sloan's. Unless LL intends to play his 4th line a lot.
I feel the defensive line plays the 2nd most to the 1st line


Last edited by seventieslord: 02-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
  #943
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I've had a lot of fun (and decent success) filling my 4th line with guys who were more like the "BPA who isn't one-dimensional". If you're playing 4th vs. 4th I think it is nice to know that for those 8-10 minutes you should be running the table. I can't name names right now but a lot of those guys I've had in the past few drafts I am pretty proud of. Martin St. Louis is one for sure.
You can see this IRL when a good forward gets put on the fourth line and looks like a star against opposing fourth lines. Nick Foligno has done that for Ottawa a couple of times this year. He's not so good that he can't get bumped down for a couple of games but he's a lot better than the Konopkas of the NHL. The main thing to keep in mind about fourth liners is that they usually only get about 30 second shifts to make an impact at ES if they aren't filling in elsewhere, and some players may find that harder than others.

Looking at LL's lineup, he could roll an old-school five forward PP with Bentley and Hull on the points.

overpass is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
  #944
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 500
Even more happy with the Jere Lehtinen pick than I was before.. it hadn't even occurred to me he lead the Stars in goal scoring twice for example..

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
  #945
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Even more happy with the Jere Lehtinen pick than I was before.. it hadn't even occurred to me he lead the Stars in goal scoring twice for example..
I guess he'll score 5 goals in an ATD season instead of 3.

jarek is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 02:48 PM
  #946
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
bentley is a top 60 player of all time sittler is top 90
If anyone has Darryl Sittler in their top-90, please speak up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
ARRRRR

(I don't get it)
see post 920


Last edited by seventieslord: 02-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
seventieslord is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:11 PM
  #947
papershoes
Registered User
 
papershoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenora, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
sorry folks - crazy busy day...

the kenora thistles are pleased to select:

dino ciccarelli (rw)

can someone please pm the next gm? thanks

papershoes is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
  #948
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
If anyone has Darryl Sittler in their top-90, please speak up now.
He's a possible 1st round pick in the all-center draft.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
  #949
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
sorry folks - crazy busy day...

the kenora thistles are pleased to select:

dino ciccarelli (rw)

can someone please pm the next gm? thanks
Good pick, Ciccarelli is criminally undervalued here IMO. The guy was one of the better goal scorers of his time, gritty too.

__________________

Last edited by tony d: 02-14-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Playoff record not as bad as I thought, thanks Dreakmur.
tony d is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
  #950
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
If anyone has Darryl Sittler in their top-90, please speak up now.



see post 920


Easy with the chirps, Blackbeard.

Velociraptor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.