HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Last year his line in Dubuque was down right scary. Zemgus Girgensons at center with Gaudreau and Vinny Saponari on the wings. One of the most complete forward lines I have ever seen in the USHL.

The big red head in the picture is Luke Curadi.......he is now at RPI.
Not sure why but the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was "That big red head is probably a great student"

Old
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
The only thing holding him back is size, if he hits a growth spurt he could turn out to be a steal.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:25 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
The only thing holding him back is size, if he hits a growth spurt he could turn out to be a steal.
Nothing is currently holding him back, he has been the most impressive freshmen in all of hockey east.

But I get what you are saying, size will be the one thing that could potentially hold him back in the future for sure.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Nothing is currently holding him back, he has been the most impressive freshmen in all of hockey east.

But I get what you are saying, size will be the one thing that could potentially hold him back in the future for sure.
Flames will probably take it real slow with him. Let him rip up the College level, hopefully gain a little height and weight and learn how to play with some more physically mature players, then some AHL time.

Give him lots of time to learn how to play against players that could pick him and fling him with one hand.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Flames will probably take it real slow with him. Let him rip up the College level, hopefully gain a little height and weight and learn how to play with some more physically mature players, then some AHL time.

Give him lots of time to learn how to play against players that could pick him and fling him with one hand.
The college guys typically play out their college careers, so Gaudreau has a few years left - 2-3 more years of college and as you said at least one year in the AHL.

So far he looks like he was a solid pick, but it's far too early to tell how his skills might translate to the NHL.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
What are the rules regarding NCAA players and NHL camps? Are we going to potentially get a chance to watch Gauds play in the development camp/preseason this year?

Old
02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
What are the rules regarding NCAA players and NHL camps? Are we going to potentially get a chance to watch Gauds play in the development camp/preseason this year?
they can attend but have to pay their own way, Development camps are fine but most NHL training camps interfere with the college schedule.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
they can attend but have to pay their own way, Development camps are fine but most NHL training camps interfere with the college schedule.
Thanks. That sucks, though. Really hate how draconian some of the NCAA rules are.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Jeez, I hope I can see him at camp soon

Old
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
RA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Yeah but his mother is around 6'5".
Damn..can you imagine how it went down?

This guy is very talented and makes fools of the bigger guys on other teams, hopefully once he hits 23-24 he can be something like St.Louis.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:08 AM
HockeyGuy1975

Gaudreau was awarded tournament MVP of the Beanpot. This guy is unreal. I have no doubt he will make the show (barring injury). As for all the talk of size, he definitely looks bigger out there (to my unscientific eye watching a couple of BC games).

I'm willing to say he will be the best offensive player on the US WJC team next year. I like his offensive instincts more than Grimaldi's -- who is an absolute sensation himself.

Last edited by HockeyGuy1975: 02-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
Gaudreau was awarded tournament MVP of the Beanpot. This guy is unreal. I have no doubt he will make the show (barring injury). As for all the talk of size, he definitely looks bigger out there (my unscientific eye watching a couple of BC games).

I'm willing to say he will be the best player on the US WJC team next year. I like his offensive instincts more than Grimaldi's -- who is a absolute sensation himself.
Didn't Arnold also pot the game-winner in that tourney?

Flames have some decent U.S. college prospects in Arnold, Gaudreau and Ramage. They're just going to have to wait a bit on them.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Didn't Arnold also pot the game-winner in that tourney?

Flames have some decent U.S. college prospects in Arnold, Gaudreau and Ramage. They're just going to have to wait a bit on them.
Yes, Arnold got the winner in OT on a beautiful top shelf shot. It's interesting how guys develop in college. Arnold has surpassed my expectations in development and I think he will be a high-end 3rd line center for the Flames. Gaudreau is an offensive prodigy and it looks like BC was the right choice for him. Kreider hasn't developed as I thought he would but I think he is one of those guys that will moderately produce regardless of hockey level. On the other side, I don't really like the development of the BU guys - Clendening and Nieto, although Nieto has been good for most of the year.

Anyway, this thread is about Gaudreau, so let's stay on topic.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Quote:
Kreider hasn't developed as I thought he would but I think he is one of those guys that will moderately produce regardless of hockey level.

Lol, you make a crazy statement about another player then caution to stay on topic? . Not sure how anyone couldn't be happy with how much better kreider has gotten, unless they're only a stat watcher.

Kreider's gone from looking lost at times as a freshman to the best player on the ice, and he's going to be a very good NHLer. He's a rare type that will be a better pro than college player

As for Gradreau, I've been saying he's filthy since the first game I saw him play. Oozing skill. Size may be an issue but if he gains 15 pounds I see him being an NHLer one day

Old
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCollegeFan View Post
Lol, you make a crazy statement about another player then caution to stay on topic? . Not sure how anyone couldn't be happy with how much better kreider has gotten, unless they're only a stat watcher.

Kreider's gone from looking lost at times as a freshman to the best player on the ice, and he's going to be a very good NHLer. He's a rare type that will be a better pro than college player

As for Gradreau, I've been saying he's filthy since the first game I saw him play. Oozing skill. Size may be an issue but if he gains 15 pounds I see him being an NHLer one day
You're right. As for Krieder, I like him a lot. What I bolded is what I was trying to say about him producing at any level. I wasn't very articulate in my response. But let's stay on topic.

I love Gaudreau's game. USA Hockey doesn't typically produce guys like this so I'm hopeful for the kid.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

Quote:
Yes, Arnold got the winner in OT on a beautiful top shelf shot. It's interesting how guys develop in college. Arnold has surpassed my expectations in development and I think he will be a high-end 3rd line center for the Flames. Gaudreau is an offensive prodigy and it looks like BC was the right choice for him. Kreider hasn't developed as I thought he would but I think he is one of those guys that will moderately produce regardless of hockey level. On the other side, I don't really like the development of the BU guys - Clendening and Nieto, although Nieto has been good for most of the year.

I honestly think Clendening and Nieto (both second round picks) are doing quite well now and developmentally.You have to remember that there are a good deal of experienced overagers in college as well, and on top of that the talent pipeline is being distributed pretty evenly. We all can't be Paul Kariya.

As for Gaudreau, the cat is out of the bag. I think we've seen the very last morsel of teams underrating him due to appearance. For the rest of the season, and more so next year, he'll be under a microscope and he'll have to respond accordingly (I know Northeastern is going to be after him for the rest of his collegiate career). Gaudreau certainly has the skill set and IQ but he'll need to toughen up over the offseason. He's an exciting player to watch and I'm glad I can be here for the ride.

On a side note, I don't think he should have been awarded the Beanpot MVP. I feel like Bill Arnold or Brian Dumoulin should have won the award instead.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Noori

vCash: 755
After BC's win over Massachusetts tonight, Gaudreau has 35 points in 38 games, good for third on the team and just three back of the team's leading scorer Chris Kreider. It seems like he really got his feet settled towards the end of January, potting 20 points in the last 15 games. He has played extremley well for a freshmen and is also one of the younger players in his draft.

On the Eagles website, Gaudreau is listed at 5-7/150, while at the draft I remember he was 5-6/~140. I'm not sure if he has grown, or if BC just upped his numbers. Guys can grow up up until they are 21, so if Gaudreau has a late growth spurt, it should really help his chances of being able to translate his game to the pro ranks.

That being said, I'm very impressed with what he has done so far.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
After BC's win over Massachusetts tonight, Gaudreau has 35 points in 38 games, good for third on the team and just three back of the team's leading scorer Chris Kreider. It seems like he really got his feet settled towards the end of January, potting 20 points in the last 15 games. He has played extremley well for a freshmen and is also one of the younger players in his draft.

On the Eagles website, Gaudreau is listed at 5-7/150, while at the draft I remember he was 5-6/~140. I'm not sure if he has grown, or if BC just upped his numbers. Guys can grow up up until they are 21, so if Gaudreau has a late growth spurt, it should really help his chances of being able to translate his game to the pro ranks.

That being said, I'm very impressed with what he has done so far.
also with the lighter playing schedule in NCAA Gaudreau should have more time to spend in the weight room adding a bit of bulk to his frame. I am looking forward to his progression over the next few seasons at BC

Old
03-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Noori

Gaudreau is the H-East Championship MVP as he leads Boston College to a 4-1 victory over Maine with two goals and an assist.

He finishes second in scoring for Boston College behind only Chris Kreider. What a great rookie season for him especially when you think about the other two rookies in Wilson and Karlsson, who are 15 and 32 months older respectively. Some great accomplishments for someone so young.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
bigbadbruins7

cant wait to see what he is going to do in the NCAA tourny. go eagles

Old
03-17-2012, 11:16 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
In the last month or so he has really turned it on I hope he continues to get better, gotta think at this point he is a lock of the world jr's for the americans.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:22 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
In the last month or so he has really turned it on I hope he continues to get better, gotta think at this point he is a lock of the world jr's for the americans.
He sure has

Last 13 Games Played
10 Goals
11 Assists
21 Points
+18

Including:
Beanpot MVP
Hockey East Tournament MVP (Only the fifth freshmen to ever win the award)
2012 Hockey East All-Tournament Team
Hockey East 2012 ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Good Stuff Johnny!

Old
03-17-2012, 11:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He sure has

Last 13 Games Played
10 Goals
11 Assists
21 Points
+18

Including:
Beanpot MVP
Hockey East Tournament MVP (Only the fifth freshmen to ever win the award)
2012 Hockey East All-Tournament Team
Hockey East 2012 ALL-ROOKIE TEAM

Good Stuff Johnny!
Holy **** I didn't realize we was that good lately. Has he committed to finishing his degree at Boston College for could he potentially leave early for the ahl?

Old
03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Noori

I doubt the Flames are in any rush to get him to the pros. He'll spending at the very least next season in Boston College.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:58 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I doubt the Flames are in any rush to get him to the pros. He'll spending at the very least next season in Boston College.
I agree, I was more wondering what his opinion was on leaving early for the ahl.

Closed Thread