HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Helm

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Peter

vCash: 500
Darren Helm

I cover the Medicine Hat Tigers for one of our local radio stations and so I thought I would drop a post to all you Detroit fans...your scouting staff has done it again and this time his name is Darren Helm.

Lots of people, outside of Medicine Hat, never thought Helm would even get drafted (especially in an abbreviated draft) but you guys chose him in the 5th round. He now leads the Tiger's in goals and points (12 goals, 14 points), is a huge presence on the ice and in the dressing room and is a fan favorite.

He didn't get a whole lot of ice time last season but caught alot of attention with his play in the playoffs. With the departure of Meyer and McArthur, Darren is getting tonnes of ice time.

He is a player.

Old
10-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Birko19

That sounds great, I've been wondering how his play was since he's putting up a lot of goals, but what do you say for the 2 assists? is a he a selfish player or we should'nt read too much into that?

Old
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
That sounds great, I've been wondering how his play was since he's putting up a lot of goals, but what do you say for the 2 assists? is a he a selfish player or we should'nt read too much into that?
Selfish?? No. This team is so short of natural goal scorers it is ridiculous. This years version of the Tiger's is very balanced with scoring but Helm is turning out to be a natural goal scorer. He is always in the right place at the right time.

The other kid to watch out for is Michal Psurny. He is a free agent and is playing in his first year of the WHL but as a 19 year old (he is the brother of Tiger player and Ranger draft pick Roman Psurny).

Old
10-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Birko19

That's great to hear, thanks for the update Pete

Old
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
TomHBlain

Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Selfish?? No. This team is so short of natural goal scorers it is ridiculous. This years version of the Tiger's is very balanced with scoring but Helm is turning out to be a natural goal scorer. He is always in the right place at the right time.

The other kid to watch out for is Michal Psurny. He is a free agent and is playing in his first year of the WHL but as a 19 year old (he is the brother of Tiger player and Ranger draft pick Roman Psurny).
How is Roman doing? I met him on a plane from Vienna earlier this year. I think he and a bunch of other WHL guys from Eastern Europe were making the trek over for the 2005 season.

Old
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHBlain
How is Roman doing? I met him on a plane from Vienna earlier this year. I think he and a bunch of other WHL guys from Eastern Europe were making the trek over for the 2005 season.
Roman is doing really well...he and his brother are in the top 5 of scoring for the Tiger's...and he is looking just that much better this year than last. With the new rules and changes in the NHL I see Roman making it to some team in the bigs (if not with the Rangers).

Old
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I cover the Medicine Hat Tigers for one of our local radio stations and so I thought I would drop a post to all you Detroit fans...your scouting staff has done it again and this time his name is Darren Helm.

Lots of people, outside of Medicine Hat, never thought Helm would even get drafted (especially in an abbreviated draft) but you guys chose him in the 5th round. He now leads the Tiger's in goals and points (12 goals, 14 points), is a huge presence on the ice and in the dressing room and is a fan favorite.

He didn't get a whole lot of ice time last season but caught alot of attention with his play in the playoffs. With the departure of Meyer and McArthur, Darren is getting tonnes of ice time.

He is a player.
If you'd be so kind, tell us about his skills. Skating? Speed? Hitting? Shooting? Passing? Defense? Grit? Leadership?

Thanks.
I like stats. But they don't always tell the story.

Old
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
If you'd be so kind, tell us about his skills. Skating? Speed? Hitting? Shooting? Passing? Defense? Grit? Leadership?
Skating - first watching him I was like "Hmmm he looks kind of akeward" but as the season progressed his raw footspeed is amazing. He's quick, not exactly fast, but quick.
Speed - straight out he's not the fastest on the team, Roman Psurny probably is the fastest, but Helm isn't that far behind.
Hitting - The little bugger will hit anything that moves and doesn't shy away from being hit.
Shooting - Quick and accurate wrist shot. Decent slap shot.
Passing - Great passer and great team player.
Defense - Played a checking role all last year. Is comfortable in both ends of the ice.
Grit - Posseses tonnes of grit and will use it when need be.
Leadership - Last year the leadership was weighed heavily on Blanshan and Marr. Don't know how he's faring this year.

Old
12-04-2005, 11:19 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl
Skating - first watching him I was like "Hmmm he looks kind of akeward" but as the season progressed his raw footspeed is amazing. He's quick, not exactly fast, but quick.
Speed - straight out he's not the fastest on the team, Roman Psurny probably is the fastest, but Helm isn't that far behind.
Hitting - The little bugger will hit anything that moves and doesn't shy away from being hit.
Shooting - Quick and accurate wrist shot. Decent slap shot.
Passing - Great passer and great team player.
Defense - Played a checking role all last year. Is comfortable in both ends of the ice.
Grit - Posseses tonnes of grit and will use it when need be.
Leadership - Last year the leadership was weighed heavily on Blanshan and Marr. Don't know how he's faring this year.
Thanks man.

Keep us updated.
Best description I've seen yet.

Old
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Hendo2k

Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
after reading this Darren is quickly becoming somewhat of a dark favorite of mine. i have yet to see him this yeaqr but i do anticipate seeing him soon in the future. thank u guys for a great description of him.

one quick question howtall is he and does he have aframe to carry added weight in the future without the loss of skate speed

thnx!

Old
12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Ti-girl

Darren could carry more weight, but he is a smaller built guy. He could use more upper body weight

Old
12-31-2005, 02:24 PM
O'shizzle

He's listed at 6'0" and 182, but those stats aren't always accurate are they?
http://www.tigershockey.com/

Old
01-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Ti-girl

He's put on some weight since last year, because last year a strong gust of wind could knock the kid over.

THe few games that I got to see this year, wow. He has floored me. Stefan Meyer and Clarke MacArthur got all the attention last year and everyone thought that the Tigers were going to suck this year because they turned pro.

Not so.

Helm has turned into a pure goal scorer and a pure talent. He is able to go into the corners and come out with the puck. It's actually quite amazing to see. The more I watch the more he reminds me of Jarret Stoll. His hands, his grit, his leadership.

Old
01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
sarcastro

It would be great if the Wings could start drafting quality guys from this side of the pond on a regular basis. Quincey might be the first of many - Howard is on track, Helm is looking good, McGrath is lighting it up, etc. Now if only they could figure out how to take FIRST and SECOND rounders they'd be perfect.....

Closed Thread