HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Helm

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
  #1
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 500
Darren Helm

I cover the Medicine Hat Tigers for one of our local radio stations and so I thought I would drop a post to all you Detroit fans...your scouting staff has done it again and this time his name is Darren Helm.

Lots of people, outside of Medicine Hat, never thought Helm would even get drafted (especially in an abbreviated draft) but you guys chose him in the 5th round. He now leads the Tiger's in goals and points (12 goals, 14 points), is a huge presence on the ice and in the dressing room and is a fan favorite.

He didn't get a whole lot of ice time last season but caught alot of attention with his play in the playoffs. With the departure of Meyer and McArthur, Darren is getting tonnes of ice time.

He is a player.

Peter is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 12:56 PM
  #2
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
That sounds great, I've been wondering how his play was since he's putting up a lot of goals, but what do you say for the 2 assists? is a he a selfish player or we should'nt read too much into that?

Birko19 is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
  #3
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19
That sounds great, I've been wondering how his play was since he's putting up a lot of goals, but what do you say for the 2 assists? is a he a selfish player or we should'nt read too much into that?
Selfish?? No. This team is so short of natural goal scorers it is ridiculous. This years version of the Tiger's is very balanced with scoring but Helm is turning out to be a natural goal scorer. He is always in the right place at the right time.

The other kid to watch out for is Michal Psurny. He is a free agent and is playing in his first year of the WHL but as a 19 year old (he is the brother of Tiger player and Ranger draft pick Roman Psurny).

Peter is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 01:16 PM
  #4
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,663
vCash: 500
That's great to hear, thanks for the update Pete

Birko19 is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
  #5
TomHBlain
Registered User
 
TomHBlain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Selfish?? No. This team is so short of natural goal scorers it is ridiculous. This years version of the Tiger's is very balanced with scoring but Helm is turning out to be a natural goal scorer. He is always in the right place at the right time.

The other kid to watch out for is Michal Psurny. He is a free agent and is playing in his first year of the WHL but as a 19 year old (he is the brother of Tiger player and Ranger draft pick Roman Psurny).
How is Roman doing? I met him on a plane from Vienna earlier this year. I think he and a bunch of other WHL guys from Eastern Europe were making the trek over for the 2005 season.

TomHBlain is offline  
Old
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
  #6
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHBlain
How is Roman doing? I met him on a plane from Vienna earlier this year. I think he and a bunch of other WHL guys from Eastern Europe were making the trek over for the 2005 season.
Roman is doing really well...he and his brother are in the top 5 of scoring for the Tiger's...and he is looking just that much better this year than last. With the new rules and changes in the NHL I see Roman making it to some team in the bigs (if not with the Rangers).

Peter is offline  
Old
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
  #7
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I cover the Medicine Hat Tigers for one of our local radio stations and so I thought I would drop a post to all you Detroit fans...your scouting staff has done it again and this time his name is Darren Helm.

Lots of people, outside of Medicine Hat, never thought Helm would even get drafted (especially in an abbreviated draft) but you guys chose him in the 5th round. He now leads the Tiger's in goals and points (12 goals, 14 points), is a huge presence on the ice and in the dressing room and is a fan favorite.

He didn't get a whole lot of ice time last season but caught alot of attention with his play in the playoffs. With the departure of Meyer and McArthur, Darren is getting tonnes of ice time.

He is a player.
If you'd be so kind, tell us about his skills. Skating? Speed? Hitting? Shooting? Passing? Defense? Grit? Leadership?

Thanks.
I like stats. But they don't always tell the story.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
  #8
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
If you'd be so kind, tell us about his skills. Skating? Speed? Hitting? Shooting? Passing? Defense? Grit? Leadership?
Skating - first watching him I was like "Hmmm he looks kind of akeward" but as the season progressed his raw footspeed is amazing. He's quick, not exactly fast, but quick.
Speed - straight out he's not the fastest on the team, Roman Psurny probably is the fastest, but Helm isn't that far behind.
Hitting - The little bugger will hit anything that moves and doesn't shy away from being hit.
Shooting - Quick and accurate wrist shot. Decent slap shot.
Passing - Great passer and great team player.
Defense - Played a checking role all last year. Is comfortable in both ends of the ice.
Grit - Posseses tonnes of grit and will use it when need be.
Leadership - Last year the leadership was weighed heavily on Blanshan and Marr. Don't know how he's faring this year.

Ti-girl is offline  
Old
12-04-2005, 11:19 PM
  #9
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl
Skating - first watching him I was like "Hmmm he looks kind of akeward" but as the season progressed his raw footspeed is amazing. He's quick, not exactly fast, but quick.
Speed - straight out he's not the fastest on the team, Roman Psurny probably is the fastest, but Helm isn't that far behind.
Hitting - The little bugger will hit anything that moves and doesn't shy away from being hit.
Shooting - Quick and accurate wrist shot. Decent slap shot.
Passing - Great passer and great team player.
Defense - Played a checking role all last year. Is comfortable in both ends of the ice.
Grit - Posseses tonnes of grit and will use it when need be.
Leadership - Last year the leadership was weighed heavily on Blanshan and Marr. Don't know how he's faring this year.
Thanks man.

Keep us updated.
Best description I've seen yet.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
  #10
Hendo2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
after reading this Darren is quickly becoming somewhat of a dark favorite of mine. i have yet to see him this yeaqr but i do anticipate seeing him soon in the future. thank u guys for a great description of him.

one quick question howtall is he and does he have aframe to carry added weight in the future without the loss of skate speed

thnx!

Hendo2k is offline  
Old
12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
  #11
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Darren could carry more weight, but he is a smaller built guy. He could use more upper body weight

Ti-girl is offline  
Old
12-31-2005, 02:24 PM
  #12
O'shizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
He's listed at 6'0" and 182, but those stats aren't always accurate are they?
http://www.tigershockey.com/

O'shizzle is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 02:26 PM
  #13
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
He's put on some weight since last year, because last year a strong gust of wind could knock the kid over.

THe few games that I got to see this year, wow. He has floored me. Stefan Meyer and Clarke MacArthur got all the attention last year and everyone thought that the Tigers were going to suck this year because they turned pro.

Not so.

Helm has turned into a pure goal scorer and a pure talent. He is able to go into the corners and come out with the puck. It's actually quite amazing to see. The more I watch the more he reminds me of Jarret Stoll. His hands, his grit, his leadership.


Ti-girl is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
  #14
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
It would be great if the Wings could start drafting quality guys from this side of the pond on a regular basis. Quincey might be the first of many - Howard is on track, Helm is looking good, McGrath is lighting it up, etc. Now if only they could figure out how to take FIRST and SECOND rounders they'd be perfect.....

sarcastro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.