HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

T. Connolly for J. Stoll

Old
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Boondock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
That's funny, you almost make Stoll sound like something more than a warm body here. Connolly > Stoll everyday of the week, for his penalty killing ability alone. Stoll is terrible; at least Connolly has a niche he excels at. Also, everybody *****ing all over Connolly is getting old. Yeah, he's overpaid, that doesn't mean he suddenly sucks at hockey. He's been useable on the first line and just fine centering the third. Calm down people.
Now I'll admit that I don't watch enough LA games to comment on Stoll's penalty killing but LA has the 4th best PK in the league and Stoll has the 2nd highest PK time of any LA forward. Toronto has the 2nd worst PK in the league and Connolly averages almost 30 seconds less PK time per game then Stoll. So to me I would think that Stoll is probably a more productive PKer then Connolly. Add to this that Stoll is much more physical then Connolly, plays the same amount of time on the PP and is one of the best face off men in the league - I would argue that even when Stoll isn't scoring he contributes more to the other aspects of the game then Connolly does. Now factor in contract amount and length and I would say that Stoll is a more attractive player to LA then Connolly and by a significant amount.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Its not like LA has ever been a big winner on July 1st. They cannot get anyone notable to sign there, so what do they need the cap space for on July 1st?

I suspect Lombardi is under tremendous pressure to have this team rise to the next level which means bringing in some offence.

I think you will see Lombardi taking on a contract or two before the deadline. I dunno if it will be Connolly or not however.
While its true La didnt land the kolovchuk richards or the star player wille mitchel , simon gagne and rob suderi all want to say hi to all the stars toronto has signed but umm who would that be? ummm connelly ? As for the reason they want the cap space we have a all star goalie name quick that needs to be resigned Also they need space to add a scoring winger or two. ie nash or carter doan parise someone along thoses lines.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Now I'll admit that I don't watch enough LA games to comment on Stoll's penalty killing but LA has the 4th best PK in the league and Stoll has the 2nd highest PK time of any LA forward. Toronto has the 2nd worst PK in the league and Connolly averages almost 30 seconds less PK time per game then Stoll. So to me I would think that Stoll is probably a more productive PKer then Connolly. Add to this that Stoll is much more physical then Connolly, plays the same amount of time on the PP and is one of the best face off men in the league - I would argue that even when Stoll isn't scoring he contributes more to the other aspects of the game then Connolly does. Now factor in contract amount and length and I would say that Stoll is a more attractive player to LA then Connolly and by a significant amount.
Meh. The Leafs have gone something like 23-24 on the PK in 2012. That's a little something I like to call regression to the mean, so I'm not going to put a massive amount of stock into the Leafs actual PK rank right now. Yeah, Stoll just cracks the top 20 in FO%, but Steckel sits at 6th overall for the Leafs and I can attest to the fact that his penchant for winning faceoffs has been marginally helpful at best. I guess you can argue for "intangibles" all day long, but at the end of the day, Connolly's offensive upside and ability to produce given the right linemates puts Stoll firmly in his rearview. And I fail to see how a third line grinder in Stoll would be more attractive than an offensively capable centre to Los Angeles, who's offense is hyper-anemic at best.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchupinPiestany View Post
Are you joking, Stoll, Penner a first and a second for Kulemin and Macarthur ?? Did you forget this
You mean bad for the leafs right? Mac who is on pace for near 30 goals (out of 82 games) and Kulemin who sored 30 last season and does all the little things is worth more than 2 salary dumps, a mid first and a second. Not to mention it destroys the Leafs scoring depth.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Is there any particular reason for this? Wondering if the team is in financial trouble.

They've been rebuilding for a decade now
and have yet to make any noise in the post season.
Actually its been about 5 or 6 years now that theyve been rebuilding.

This time ten years ago they were making a surge into the playoffs after picking up adam deadmarsh. Would go on to knock the wings out of the playoffs, and take colorado to 7 games in the next series. Not exactly stuff legends are made of, but one of the few good memories for kings fans and my first memories as a kings fan

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Boondock

Quote:
Meh. The Leafs have gone something like 23-24 on the PK in 2012. That's a little something I like to call regression to the mean, so I'm not going to put a massive amount of stock into the Leafs actual PK rank right now. Yeah, Stoll just cracks the top 20 in FO%, but Steckel sits at 6th overall for the Leafs and I can attest to the fact that his penchant for winning faceoffs has been marginally helpful at best. I guess you can argue for "intangibles" all day long, but at the end of the day, Connolly's offensive upside and ability to produce given the right linemates puts Stoll firmly in his rearview. And I fail to see how a third line grinder in Stoll would be more attractive than an offensively capable centre to Los Angeles, who's offense is hyper-anemic at best.
LA has Kopitar and Richards as their top 2 C's so what type of linemates do you think their 3rd line C play with? Those other intangibles are what you need for a defensive C. I don't think the Kings would want to add to their total cap number this year and still have the very fragile Connolly making 4.75 next season.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Hockey 4 Life

What about Connolly to Calgary for a 3rd and an impending UFA cap dump. This allows Calgary to make a playoff push without sacrificing anything significant as well as not committing to a long term contract. Now before I get jumped on let me also say that I don't mind Connolly I just don't think he is the right fit for this team at this time, and I believe that in Calgary with Iggy he could find his stride again.

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:40 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
LA has Kopitar and Richards as their top 2 C's so what type of linemates do you think their 3rd line C play with? Those other intangibles are what you need for a defensive C. I don't think the Kings would want to add to their total cap number this year and still have the very fragile Connolly making 4.75 next season.
I'm just quoting your last post, because this and your post above are exactly Stoll's situation and the Kings. For someone who said they don't watch a lot of Kings games, I have to . So you are exactly right!

Stoll, while not being great, is better at the overall game than Connolly and will walk at the end of the year, so we don't need need to worry about it. No reason to take on a player a lot like Stoll (or worse) with a longer cap hit. People seem to forget, Stoll's numbers are down this year partly because he went from our #2 center to our #3 and sometimes #4 center because of who is in front of him. Also, they just tried to put him on wing and it was a complete failure.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Connolly has 25 PTS in 44 games...
Leino has 15 PTS in 44 games...

Connolly is gone after next season at worst case scenario.. Leino's contract is unmovable for 5 more years after this..

I can't help but laugh...at the irony.
What a lame argument. Without mentioning other teams "bad contracts", defend Connolly's salary vs. his overall production and effect on the ability to help string wins together. Funny how some point to other players to deflect any criticism against someone on the team they follow. This isn't a thread about Leino's bad contract. Those that don't watch players most games, often have the biggest mouths.

Defending the indefensible is

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:16 AM
VerySuperFamous

Leino replaces connoly in buffalo so it kinda makes sense

VerySuperFamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:41 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
That's funny, you almost make Stoll sound like something more than a warm body here. Connolly > Stoll everyday of the week, for his penalty killing ability alone. Stoll is terrible; at least Connolly has a niche he excels at. Also, everybody *****ing all over Connolly is getting old. Yeah, he's overpaid, that doesn't mean he suddenly sucks at hockey. He's been useable on the first line and just fine centering the third. Calm down people.
This is a great post. A fine example of a "true Toronto stereotype"
You ridicule Stoll as being terrible for he has no niche he excells at when that is the one thing he is known for. CLASSIC! Keep up the terrific posts Toronto. They make my day

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
What a lame argument. Without mentioning other teams "bad contracts", defend Connolly's salary vs. his overall production and effect on the ability to help string wins together. Funny how some point to other players to deflect any criticism against someone on the team they follow. This isn't a thread about Leino's bad contract. Those that don't watch players most games, often have the biggest mouths.

Defending the indefensible is
You won't find many Leaf fans who like Connolly or defend him. I'm not denying that most don't want Connolly.. I just thought it was ironic that a Sabres fan would criticize him... Especially using salary vs production considering Darcy signed a 3rd liner to a 6 year 4.5+..

If a Leaf fan criticized someone with a playoff drought, how might you respond? If a Yotes fan criticized someone for lack of fan support, how might you respond? Naturally, if a Sabres fan mentions albatross contract or disgusting ratio of salary vs production, you think Ville Leino.

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Connolly is underperforming and overpaid... But you won't find a single GM who takes Leino instead.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:04 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
This is a great post. A fine example of a "true Toronto stereotype"
You ridicule Stoll as being terrible for he has no niche he excells at when that is the one thing he is known for. CLASSIC! Keep up the terrific posts Toronto. They make my day
You do realize there's more then one poster, right?

Opinions vary. One may want Stoll, another may think he's garbage..

You're taking separate opinions and grouping them together.

Amazing, but opinions will differ when it's 6+ million people.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:19 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Its not like LA has ever been a big winner on July 1st. They cannot get anyone notable to sign there, so what do they need the cap space for on July 1st?

I suspect Lombardi is under tremendous pressure to have this team rise to the next level which means bringing in some offence.
Thats what people don't seem to understand.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Thats what people don't seem to understand.
Hmn, Gagne, Mitchell, Scuderi were FA signings. Also Handzus and Stuart. Both Doughty/Johnson were Kings fans growing up.

Which big FA has Toronto signed in the past few years? ........Exactly.

And there is the question. Is Conolly a top line goal scorer? If the answer is no, then there is no fit.
And also because Lombardi striked out on Chara/Kovalchuk/Hossa/B. Richards you think he should take on a stupid contract for a player that doesn't fit the teams need? Think again.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

I know the meaning of stereotype. I am the one that used the word in reference.

If the sum of intellectual arguments out-weighs those of of mass hysteria the stigma surrounding leafs posters could be lifted. All it takes is a truthful & wise group and the sheep will follow.

When Connolly is not scoring what does he bring? Does any Toronto (or any hockey enthusiast) fan justly believe Connolly could be of service as a 3rd line center? He is lazy, HOPELESS on the boards and wont be surrounded by finishers. Teams hoping to make the playoffs are looking for just the opposite at this time of year. He was a desperation mistake but lucky for you he is often injured so you might get out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
You do realize there's more then one poster, right?

Opinions vary. One may want Stoll, another may think he's garbage..

You're taking separate opinions and grouping them together.

Amazing, but opinions will differ when it's 6+ million people.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote