HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does the reffing in the NHL hurt your enthusiasm?

Old
02-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's been brutal around the league. There's a reason why they asked McCreary and Fraser to stick around longer than they wanted to. The non call on Giroux last week and Corey Perry the other day were awful. Hebert, Auger and Lee are hideous but who is coming up behind them?
That was unreal

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Absolutely have cared less about the games across the league as a whole. Ever since the new imposed rules and the way the game is called since the lockout it's painful to watch at times. As a fan of the sport I enjoy the fluidity of the game most of which is a rarity to get for more than a few minutes a game before some form of obstruction is deemed worth calling. Obviously it's nice this season that the Flyers have had more calls go their way, but I don't enjoy watching powerplays all game long for either team. Never have I sat down before a game and thought to myself, "I really hope each team gets to go on the man advantage 3 or more times a period." it's stagnant, and slows the game down.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:02 PM
iamcanadian23

I'm not blaming officials, they are human - mistakes will be made and inconsistencies will appear. Just like every other sport too!

Would be interesting to know their reasoning behind more calls though. For example, why does one player leave a seemingly equal scrum with a double minor for roughing and another just two minutes? And, in a game like today where they are handed out like candy - misonduct penalties seem far too subjective and influenced by far too many variables. Seems to depend too much on the score, the player, the time of the game, the temperment of referee and so on.

If you are going to complain about officiating, don't forget the supplemental discipline too. Hiring one guy - with deep-rooted ties to at least one team in the league - is ridiculous. Neutrality is important, as is having multiple view points - perhaps a committee.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
2minutes4slashing

Throwing Sestito and Prust out of the game right after the Rinaldo Dubinsky scrap was pointless , they didnt even hardy have any contact with one another.. so what if they wanted to go later on?? gosh this sport is so pansified these days .. the fans pay a hundred bucks a pop to be entertained not disappointed .

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:59 PM
jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Not here, I follow soccer and Rugby just as closely, and while some refs have shockers in each game, it's very rare. The NHL seems to have problems every night in this regard, so much so ,that when the whistles are put away everyone comments on how good they have been. It's a bit of a joke.

I understand the whole homerism comment, but it's just not the case. I'm fed up of watching games decided by the refs. There is no doubt that penalties are "evened" up over the duration of the game. It's just plain to see.
No doubt, and that is a problem. But, as I said, to some fans that's "fair" of course depending on what side of the calls you are on during what part of the game...

The refs are consistent, the fans' demands for how they want the refs to call things is even worse. There are only a few calls in this league that are cut and dry, and the rest is all about perception. That changes from ref to ref and that is frustrating, but it happens in every league. And the NHL (despite what ESPN likes to imply) is doing very well for itself economically, so I think this frequent PP style will continue. Not saying I totally agree with it, but I think the real problem is when you have referees that are actually biased (like for example that assclown in the NBA who was betting on games he was reffing), but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

Like all fans, I get pissed about the refereeing too. But I truly do think it's made out to be a much bigger problem than it actually is by the fans.

jmiller010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:05 PM
jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
What happened with Sestito happens to every team in the league. It happens more often to players have have poor reputations and the Flyers aren't unique in dressing these players.

From your OP:

The bold is ********. To reiterate what I posted above, the Flyers have had more than 30 more powerplays than the team with the 2nd most powerplays (Detroit). If we're going to rant about why the Flyers are penalized so much, what would the other 29 teams' fan bases think about why the Flyers are given so many powerplays?

Blaming the refs is essentially making an excuse. You normally don't make excuses if you're winning. Bad calls happen every game. Some have advocated that the refs should put their whistles away, but then the refs end up letting penalties go.

Sestito takes dumb penalties and he'll also be called for some things that other players will get a pass on. He also draws a lot penalties. It's the price you pay for dressing **** disturbers.

I think the bolded is all a great point. Don't care about the debate between you and the other poster, but I agree with what you're saying as a whole.

Basically when calls (deserved or not) go against your team, the reaction is "oh, why don't the referees put their whistles away". But then, OBVIOUSLY if they something happens on the other side it's "oh my God, I can't believe they missed that." It's ironic how people talk about how they don't think the refs are held accountable, but in reality, not being held accountable is the reason fans complain non-stop about refereeing no matter how good or bad it is. You can just yell at your TV or at the arena and it's all good. Refs actually have a real job to do, and whichever way they do it is perceived the wrong way by a certain group of people at any given time.

As I said before, the real problem is if or when they find out there are refs actually "fixing" games, but I really don't believe that to be the case. This is just the way the game is called now, and given how the league has consistently grown since the lockout, I don't see it as a problem or "what's going to break the NHL" as some imply.

jmiller010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:15 AM
BillDineen

I view the ref issue in similar light to soccer. In soccer they do not use instant replay and there are blown offsides calls, missed goals etc that get screwed up. While the NHL uses video replay, they do not use it efficiently.

Rugby does it right IMO. ONE ref does not make the call on the field and can ask the video judge to make the call.

Step 1: One ref on the ice. Fire half of them! The difference between the best and worst is wide. Get rid of the worst ones.

Step 2: Do not make the call on the ice ahead of indicating a goal and ask the video ref to do it. This includes potential penalties ahead of a goal.

One and two are necessary IMO. Step 3 would be even better:

Step 3: Allow one challenge with the video ref per game.

Last night Sestito got an extra 2min for being Sestito and Rinaldo got an extra 2min for being Rinaldo. Being able to at least challenge the first would make a ref reluctant to make another obviously biased (against the player not team) call.

The Giroux slash from a few games ago would have also been reviewable because it led to a goal.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Orange Crush 89

My number one pet peeve is when people say "we" when referring to the Flyers (or any sports teams, for that matter). My number two peeve is the officiating in some of the Flyers games. I do not know how some of them still have jobs.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:17 AM
kimmofan44

yes we do have 30 more powerplays for than any other team but it seems like these pp only happen when a game is way out of hand due to some bad calls( or non calls) look at the boston game, we had almost 4 or maybe it was five bad calls and went down by 3 before the refs started calling things in our favor, by the end we had 2 more pp than boston but the damage was done.

the devils game, trip on giroux and a goal and then another before the frustration was over THEN we got some decent calls.

ny non call on schenn being interfered with and then giroux is taken down on a breakaway with no contact to the puck, then once its to late we get some calls.

all i'm saying is that we seem to be the team who gets the make up calls more than the bad in our favor calls

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Does the reffing in the NHL hurt your enthusiasm?
Short answer: Yep. Not just against the Flyers, but in the whole league.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:35 PM
captainpaxil

honestly? id replace the linesman with ice girls. offsides and icing arent that complicated. secondly id take one of the refs off the ice and put him upstairs, the ice is way too damn crowded and the view is better up there. im also a big fan of crosschecking,slashing and hookin all being called "stick penalty" id have a league review of any conflicting penalties(unsportsmanlike and a call) with suspension to follow

frankly if i feel like the refs had an impact on the game, its ruined

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bad calls happen in all sports all the time. They go both ways. Sometimes you benefit, sometimes you get the screw job. Move on. If you can't beat the refs you probably weren't going to beat the other team anyway.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Ryker

To be honest, I was never bothered by reffing when watching NHL games. Sure, questionable calls happen here and there, but in general, I don't think it's bad enough to detract from me enjoying the game or the league.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
To be honest, I was never bothered by reffing when watching NHL games. Sure, questionable calls happen here and there, but in general, I don't think it's bad enough to detract from me enjoying the game or the league.
The bad reffing really bothers me.

One night I turned on a game to watch two teams who had Dmen the Flyers might be interested in.

There was a bogus hook called in the first minute, and another penalty as soon as that guy got out. I realized the refs weren't going to let them play and turned it off.

The league doesn't want refs who let the players play. They got rid of all the laissez faire guys, like Fraser.

It's a deliberate policy. Every time you see a jack@ss calling a parade to the box, you can't blame him, he's just doing what he needs to to guarantee his job.

Why they want so many penalties is hard to imagine. The best games this year have been when the Flyers and their opponents have had only a couple PPs between them.

I still think it's an attempt to have hockey more resemble basketball for American viewers. PP hockey is basically like half court play, so it's easier for new viewers to follow the puck - it's always in one end.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote