HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor-phx

Old
02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Makaveli

vCash: 500
Tor-phx

To Toronto:

3rd/4th round pick

To Phoenix:

Matthew Lombardi

This allows Toronto to call up one of Kadri or Frattin. It also gives Phoenix some extra depth.

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:20 PM
IBLeaf*

Sure.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Toastman

Phoenix really doesn't need lombardi. Not to mention he hasnt done anything productive this season

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You have to take Derek Morris if you want us to take Lombardi.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Toronto was basically given franson to take him so what are the leafs adding to sweeten the deal..

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Toronto was basically given franson to take him so what are the leafs adding to sweeten the deal..
Different situation. The reason the Leafs got Franson in the deal with Lombardi was simply because of Lombardi's concussion situation, and his contract situation. Lombardi's contract wasn't insured, meaning Nashville, a budget franchise, had to pay Lombardi his full salary while he was on LTIR. Nashville had no idea when and if Lombardi would be back, so his salary was a burden on the team.

Now am I saying Lombardi has value? Not necessarily, because simply put, he hasn't been very good.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:48 PM
hawkeyguru93

Maybe the leafs can get Kyle Turris out of this deal.....oh wait Ottawa already overpaid lol

hawkeyguru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Perd Hapley
Ya Heard With Perd

Can't see Phoenix doing it when they already have Hanzal, Langkow and Gordon at center when Lombardi isn't enough of an upgrade to justify taking his contract on.

Perd Hapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:54 PM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

Only way I can see the leafs doing this is if Burkie had another deal on the table where he needed some cap space, if their wasn't then their is no need for this when Lombardi has been eating PK time for us and is more useful than Kadri or Frattin would be.

khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
BlueBaron

If we are going to trade Lombardi I suspect it will be in the off season to a team that actually needs a center.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Different situation. The reason the Leafs got Franson in the deal with Lombardi was simply because of Lombardi's concussion situation, and his contract situation. Lombardi's contract wasn't insured, meaning Nashville, a budget franchise, had to pay Lombardi his full salary while he was on LTIR. Nashville had no idea when and if Lombardi would be back, so his salary was a burden on the team.

Now am I saying Lombardi has value? Not necessarily, because simply put, he hasn't been very good.
If he was to get injured again same situation and not only is Phoenix a budget franchise they are owned by the league probably not a risk they can take right now

veganhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:23 AM
seanlinden

No reason for the Leafs to do this -- they're not sellers.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I would do it as a Leafs fan, Lombardi is a waste of a roster spot and I had much rather have Kadri up with the big club than ride one of Lombardi/Connolly/Armstrong in the line-up.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:34 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Any other bad player/contract you'd like to give us, instead? We'd save some on the cap by trading Morris <=> Lombardi, but he's a RHS defesemen, he'd see the ice as much as Ray Charles.

Also, has he been that bad? Shame, since he really wanted to play in Phoenix, righ?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
if he is LHS sure if not, no thanks.

Aside didnt he want to play over there first and foremost?

02-13-2012, 07:49 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
If we are going to trade Lombardi I suspect it will be in the off season to a team that actually needs a center.
or as a salary dump in a deal that brings us (leafs) a #1 center.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
bobbyt91
you must quote me :P

Why are us Leaf fans soo hard on Lombardi He was out for almost a whole season and not expected to play until the All star break. Lombardi has awesome speed and I'm sure he will eventually find his hands. He is a nice luxury to have at the moment on the 3rd line. Eventually Connolly and Lombardi will start to generate points, they are skilled enough that the points will come. As a Leaf fan I get really upset at the certain Leaf fans who act like the sky is falling after a streak of sub par play. Sure the game against the Habs the Leafs played one of their worst games of the year, absolutely 0 effort, factor in Price's good play of late and you get a 5-0 loss to the Habs. A team that the Leafs should beat 85% of the time. But then you see the comments from the Leaf fans acting like they just went on a 10 game loosing streak, "blow the team up", "fire everyone" etc is just retarted. I understand the fans expected a better effort with the raising of Sundin's #( i was crying like a baby) but poop happens and the Leafs will come out like gang busters on Tues!. The Leafs will beat CGY and EDM but Van, I don't know.

bobbyt91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I wouldn't do this from the leafs. We don't need to dump Lombardi, and I think his game has been improving recently.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

RE: Morris, he hasn't been BAD per say, but more like terribly inconsistent. He's solid some nights and a train wreck other nights. He's made a lot of very simple, very avoidable, rookie type mistakes.

His contract isn't that bad but he's got to start having fewer bad nights and more frequent solid nights.

Yes he wants to be in Phoenix. But only if the NHL remains there, obviously.

He is a RHS but TO can certainly afford to waive him and assign him. They can scratch him, re-enter him or buy him out this summer. Whatever they want.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:02 PM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Sens will take lombardi (negative value)& a second for,

well nothing.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Taylor Pyatt went face first into the glass last night and did not return. I'm obviously not a doctor but it sure looked a whole heck of a lot like a concussion.

Let's say he's expected to miss to miss anywhere between ten and twenty five of Phoenix's remaining twenty five games.

To TOR:
Injured, Pending UFA Taylor Pyatt

To PHX:
Matthew Lombardi

Leafs cover the roughly 250k due to Pyatt but never actually bring him into the organization. He can just chill in Phoenix and recover here before becoming UFA after the season, anyway. Never even has to set foot in Toronto if he doesn't want to.

Phoenix is on the hook for about a million to Lombardi(an extra 750k, considering Pyatt is off the books) this season. Next season, he's obviously due a hefty overpayment of like four million. Which is exactly the kind of overpayment we took on in Langkow this season, anyhow. Langkow is unrestricted this summer.

Lombardi basically replaces Pyatt this season and Langkow next season.

Phoenix wins because they get cheap depth.

Toronto wins because they clear a ton of cap space for next season.

Pyatt wins because he can recover for the rest of the season and only play in TO if he's one hundred percent ready. He's UFA anyway.

Lombardi wins because he gets to come back to the site of his last successful seasons. He gets to get back with Tippett and the gang that he enjoyed so much quality play with.

Thoughts?

02-14-2012, 02:03 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Taylor Pyatt went face first into the glass last night and did not return. I'm obviously not a doctor but it sure looked a whole heck of a lot like a concussion.

Let's say he's expected to miss to miss anywhere between ten and twenty five of Phoenix's remaining twenty five games.

To TOR:
Injured, Pending UFA Taylor Pyatt

To PHX:
Matthew Lombardi

Leafs cover the roughly 250k due to Pyatt but never actually bring him into the organization. He can just chill in Phoenix and recover here before becoming UFA after the season, anyway. Never even has to set foot in Toronto if he doesn't want to.

Phoenix is on the hook for about a million to Lombardi(an extra 750k, considering Pyatt is off the books) this season. Next season, he's obviously due a hefty overpayment of like four million. Which is exactly the kind of overpayment we took on in Langkow this season, anyhow. Langkow is unrestricted this summer.

Lombardi basically replaces Pyatt this season and Langkow next season.

Phoenix wins because they get cheap depth.

Toronto wins because they clear a ton of cap space for next season.

Pyatt wins because he can recover for the rest of the season and only play in TO if he's one hundred percent ready. He's UFA anyway.

Lombardi wins because he gets to come back to the site of his last successful seasons. He gets to get back with Tippett and the gang that he enjoyed so much quality play with.

Thoughts?
It makes sense for us, but a GM's rep would take a big hit it they did that

In this situation Leafs are pretty much throwing Lombardi, a guy who missed almost a full calendar year with a concussion under the bus.

If Lombardi gets traded, it will be for picks or (and less likely) as part of a package

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
It makes sense for us, but a GM's rep would take a big hit it they did that

In this situation Leafs are pretty much throwing Lombardi, a guy who missed almost a full calendar year with a concussion under the bus.

If Lombardi gets traded, it will be for picks or (and less likely) as part of a package
Are they throwing him under the bus if they ask him if he'd prefer to be in Phoenix and he said yes?

He was quite happy here last time around. Plus, if the team relocates, he gets to go home. He's from Montreal and played his Jr. hockey in the Q.