HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Graf G5 10' VS Graf G5 11' skates

Old
02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Graf G5 10' VS Graf G5 11' skates

I currently use the G5 10's and I'm looking for new skates. I am in general quite happy with my current black/white G5's. But two things that I'm not that happy with are the lack of ankle support and the lack of protection. So I wonder if there is someone here who maybe uses the 11' model or at least maybe has some knowledge about if some improvements have been done in those two particular areas.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Have you tried on any other Grafs? If you're lacking ankle support, it could be you would be better suited to another model. Protection wise, I don't think anything has changed.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Have you tried on any other Grafs? If you're lacking ankle support, it could be you would be better suited to another model. Protection wise, I don't think anything has changed.
No, the G5's are the only Grafs I've tried on. When it comes to Grafs in Sweden it's almost impossible to find them retail, you have to order them. I ordered the new G75 last week but the Swedish supplier was out of them, and didn't know when they would get new ones home. It depended on if they had to produce new ones.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Stickmata

The reason I ask is that they have different skates for different heel/backstay shapes. The G5 is made for a straight backstay. If yours is more pronounced, you might fit better in a different model. Not much you can do though if you don't have a local dealer. One thought, if you like the G5, is to mail order two skates, the G5 and then another model with the same parameters except for a more pronounced backstay, see which fits better, and then return the other one.

Assuming by lack of ankle support, you mean that your ankle doesn't feel locked down, I would guess the alternative model to try would be a G35 or a 735, though both skates have a narrower heel in addition to a more pronounced backstay.

I had the opposite problem. I've been skating on a 703 with a pronounced backstay when I really needed a 705 with a straight backstay.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:46 PM
bp spec

Nah, the G5 heel shape is perfect for me. I had to use a pair of Vapors this season due to the teams sponsorship. My heels were destroyed after about a month or so. I couldn't skate at all until I changed back to my Grafs.

I need a stiffer tongue and a little bit stiffer boot.

The only con my G5's have is that they run a little little bit narrow at the outsides of my feet right before the toe cap. About where the "G" is.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
AIREAYE

If the pressure is on a general spot, then you can get them punched out at your pro shop.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If the pressure is on a general spot, then you can get them punched out at your pro shop.
Yes, I've punched them out myself. Haven't had a problem since.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Nah, the G5 heel shape is perfect for me. I had to use a pair of Vapors this season due to the teams sponsorship. My heels were destroyed after about a month or so. I couldn't skate at all until I changed back to my Grafs.

I need a stiffer tongue and a little bit stiffer boot.

The only con my G5's have is that they run a little little bit narrow at the outsides of my feet right before the toe cap. About where the "G" is.
Same here. Had to have my 703s punched twice before I got em right.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:44 AM
bp spec

So, is it anyone who knows if the boot and tongue is stiffer on the 11' model? I know that they've changed to a quite thick white felt tongue, don't know if it's stiffer though.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Stickmata

The tongue on the new 705s I'm buying feels identical to the tongue on my '10 703s. Not sure if that's relevant to the G5 or not, but when I tried on all the Graf skates, I didn't notice any difference in the tongues across the models. But I wasn't really focusing on it though.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Getting a pair of G70 this week, i'll pot a quick review if you want to.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:08 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Getting a pair of G70 this week, i'll pot a quick review if you want to.
Actually, that would be great. Im choosing between the G5's and the G75's and from what I know the G75's has more or less the same fit as the G70s. So that would be nice, please explain what type of foot you have too

Old
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Actually, that would be great. Im choosing between the G5's and the G75's and from what I know the G75's has more or less the same fit as the G70s. So that would be nice, please explain what type of foot you have too
I have the G70s and they fit superbly, a very comfortable skate.

That said, I was looking for another pair as I'm on the ice 4-5 days per week and didn't want to blow them out, but I learned that the G70 was discontinued over a year ago, and given that I'm probably the most popular size (8.5) have had no luck finding them even after calling 25-30 stores...

Anyway, I am also considering the G75s, so I called Graf and they said that the G75 fit and last is different than the G70. The primary change is that the G75 boot is not as deep a fit, so trying them on is really a must. You can't assume the G75 size will be the same as your other Graf model.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Got the skates today, but they were the wrong size so i had to send them back. Hoping to get them on tuesday.

Quick impressions - snug as a pug in a rug

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote