Boychuk Resigns 3yrs/3.36m per

Old
02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
we had 3 game 7's despite outrageous goaltending and a killer effort by our forwards to check check check

our defense often looked like swiss cheese at inopportune times. he wasnt the culpret usually but he sure couldnt shut the gates either

hes definitely not an elite top 3 guy
You need to research the teams and their #3's...Boychuk is better then most. Plus,, he is a fit for this system. Look how Kaberle and Corvo have fared in this system...HORRIBLE. You go to war with the people you know. Boychuk is a proven spring time player. Shut down Kesler pretty damn good along with Ference, when it counted..

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
cat400

During last years play-offs, HNIC's Kelly Hrudey was remarking how far Boychuk had developed as a NHL defenceman and he was comparing it to the learning curve experienced by Kevin Bieksa after he 1st entered the league.

Chia was proven right on the Ference contract and hopefully in a couple of years we will be calling Boychuk's contract a steal.

Last edited by cat400: 02-14-2012 at 05:46 PM.
cat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
misterjaggers

Do people really think that Boychuk's new deal will make it difficult (if necessary) to move him? I don't.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
Overpayment by $500k-$750k. I don't mind having him back, but he's not worth more than Seidenberg or Ference.
Look up my post earlier in this thread. You have to keep in mind the circumstances that were in place at the time of each player's signing, the value, and the length of contract.

Seidenberg was essentially traded for Byron Bitz with Craig Weller as a throw away. The fact is, Seidenberg's stock was not that high back then. He didn't warrant top-2 money, so Chia gave him $3.25M for 5 years. As I and others recall, this board wasn't exactly thrilled about giving a #4 defenseman from Florida that much money. It seems to have worked out quite well in the long run, no?

Ference was resigned after missing significant time for his third consecutive season which likely factored into him making just over $2M per (in addition to being a mid-bottom pairing defenseman). So, not only was his value not terribly high to begin with (playing a #4-5 role for the small time he was healthy), his health was never a guarantee. Thus, less money.

Boychuk has been a #2-3 defenseman for 2 1/2 years now, and despite how some around here see it, he's been damn good against the toughest scoring units a team has to offer. This is a contract year for him, there are limited assets on the FA market and few teams are willing to part with top-4 D-Men. Rather than let the guy walk and hope to pick up a modest or lateral upgrade for $4-4.5 in FA, you resign the guy who already lives in the city, is a positive influence in the locker room, and understands the system, for less money in the long run.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
ranold26
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Do people really think that Boychuk's new deal will make it difficult (if necessary) to move him? I don't.
I don't either. I think his deal isn't all that bad, given he was a scheduled UFA.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
Maybe this isn't the thread, but I'd love to hear your justification for letting Ryder walk. 3.5 million was perfectly reasonable money for what he brings and the Bruins could certainly afford him.

for 3 years we wanted him gone.. for most of last year 99% of this board was saying put him in the ahl

ryder was asked numerous times to step up when we needed him. he was paid to be our first line guy and let us down again and again when put onto the first line. i know eventually he had a good playoff for us, and he did outplay sturm for us last year.. but at training camp we all wanted to keep sturm and ship out ryder to the ahl. we all knew he was completely untradable... so we all said buy the bum out...

then he managed one good playoff run... but in NO WAY did that mean we should resign him to a long term deal again. if he manages to have a good 30-50 game stretch with dallas.. then wonderful. happy for him...

but im very very very happy not to be stuck on the hook at 3.5 mill on another multiyear deal for a guy that was never better then a streaky 3rd liner for us

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
PJ StockBB

i like it. he would have gotten more on the open market and we wouldn't have had a replacement for him. he fits here, we've experienced plenty of defensemen who have not. i think everyone will call this a steal eventually

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
we had 3 game 7's despite outrageous goaltending and a killer effort by our forwards to check check check

our defense often looked like swiss cheese at inopportune times. he wasnt the culpret usually but he sure couldnt shut the gates either

hes definitely not an elite top 3 guy
The only series that went 7 games that you can pin on defense and/or goaltending was the ECF against Tampa.

The Bruins had a grand total of TWO GOALS in three losses to Montreal and a grand total of THREE GOALS in three losses to Vancouver.

Not only did we have the worst powerplay in the history of the Stanley Cup playoffs, but there were stretches where our offensive was just plain anemic. Its tough to blame a "Swiss cheese defense" for not putting more points on the board.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Are you kidding?

The opposite. He's a FAR more attractive option to other teams signed at these dollars.

I don't believe he will be dealt. Or that that was the strategy. But without a doubt, he's a valuable asset made even more so by agreeing to this contract.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
BostonBeatdown87
Not While I'm Here.

Meh, a tad high for my liking but as many others have said, with the FA market the way it is for legit NHL caliber D-men he could have gotten even more. At the end of the day, I'm definitely pleased with the signing. Honestly, I couldn't wait to get rid of Boychuk at the end of last year but I think he's really improved his game and become much more consistent.

Either he's making less stupid plays this year, or Corvo's making so many it's taking the heat off Johnny.

BostonBeatdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
You need to research the teams and their #3's...Boychuk is better then most. Plus,, he is a fit for this system. Look how Kaberle and Corvo have fared in this system...HORRIBLE. You go to war with the people you know. Boychuk is a proven spring time player. Shut down Kesler pretty damn good along with Ference, when it counted..
I agree with all of this. I think Boychuck is sometimes underrated on these boards. A little off topic, but that hit he threw on Kesler in the final was devastaing. After seeing that play and the grimace on Kesler's face, I knew the B's had the final in the bag.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
not saying he wouldnt be used as a 3 on other teams... just saying cup contending teams dont target guys like boychuck to be their number 3

we arent happy being an average team here... we want to win cups. teams like detroit and philly and washington and san jose and pittsburgh and new jersey and etc... dont try to lock in guys at top dollar on long term deals if the guy doesnt really fit the team need.

what is our need?

i think we what chara/seidberg together at crunch time... i know i do
hamilton will fit into plans soon
ference is a team leader... mcquaid is willing to play tough

imo we got 5 spots kind of accounted for here... and the one open spot is sort of a guy that will compliment hamilton. now i realize hamilton might play with chara or seidenberg.. and thats ok during regular season.. but im not talking regular season now

we are a team trying to win cups...

if chara gets hurt.. and suddenly our defense is
seidenberg/boychuck
hamilton/ference
mcquaid/kamfer...

how confident are we that its good enough??????

if boychuck was a 5-6 million dollar guy like strait... or vishnovsky... or bouwmeister... or someone of that ilk... it becomes better for us.

and where is our pp qb if we keep boychuck and work hamilton in?

is boychuck the right number 3 guy for us? is his skill set the right skill set we need? chara/mcquaid are both monsters... and ference/seidenberg are both hard nosed... is team toughness our biggest problem on defense?

or do we totally lack a guy with advanced puck moving skill and talent to run a pp?

id rather have found an extra 2 mill to bring in a legitimate highly rated number 3 guy to help our cup chances... then settle for boychuck at a bit less simply because alot of other teams would not have the depth to play him in their bottom pariing either.

for me i remember the days of montreals big 3... anaheims success with pronger and neidermayer and the great job they got out of beachemin. jersey of course with all their studs. colorado being able to play foote in their second paring for their runs at the championship. and so on.. and so on...

having at least 3 very well rounded offensively talented dmen on the team is usually a very good thing if you want to win the cup. we won one with boychuck in the role last year, but we sure didnt blow anyone away while winning. the year before we blew a 3 game lead in the second round when injuries hit guys like seidenberg and boychuck had to step up to be our number 2 guy.

boychuck played amazing... but he isnt a real number 2 guy and we did lose that series being the first team ever to blow a 3 game lead.

i do hope for the best... but we are settling for less then the best here. it might be good enough, but it could have been much better.

i like the guy so i hate feeling this way... but i do. lets hope we dont see 'boychuck to the ahl' posts in the next couple years, cause that is how this contract and peverlys contract feel to me right now.

when winning.. with cap room.. its not a problem... but neither was ryders contract when we actually won. it only sucked so much when we had our cap maxed out and he was failing to be a legitimate top 6 guy for us during our struggles.

so now boychuck simply has to earn the money i guess... and then even people like me wont complain. lets see him step up if asked if chara goes down... and have him lead us to success... cause thats what i personally want to see from whoever my number 3 guy is on the cup team id be trying to build here

Old
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
patty59

Quote:
not saying he wouldnt be used as a 3 on other teams... just saying cup contending teams dont target guys like boychuck to be their number 3
Uh, ya they do. The Bruins are a Cup winning team and Boychuk is the #3.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
The only series that went 7 games that you can pin on defense and/or goaltending was the ECF against Tampa.

The Bruins had a grand total of TWO GOALS in three losses to Montreal and a grand total of THREE GOALS in three losses to Vancouver.

Not only did we have the worst powerplay in the history of the Stanley Cup playoffs, but there were stretches where our offensive was just plain anemic. Its tough to blame a "Swiss cheese defense" for not putting more points on the board.
i guess maybe in the first series too there was alot of talk about firing julien and chiarelli and how much our defense sucked and how it sucked because of chiarelli and julien and how regular season success didnt translate to playoffs

and that our d wasnt talented enough and karberle wasnt working... and no one else could move the puck...

i will admit philly rolled over for us.. so hard to say the defense played bad there.

then agaisnt vancouver... i think our defense had a really really really really difficult time moving the puck in those first couple games in vancouver... and the confidence was so low in them after tampa, that our forwards were holding back alot more

confidence is important.. and when the d got so badly exposed against tampa... we tightened up alot against vancouver.

you are very right our pp sucked last year... and isnt a hell of a lot better this year. our biggest problem continues to be a truely elite level qb from the point. giving boychuck all this money and holding a spot open for hamilton sort of means we wont be adding a pp qb anytime soon

unless something else breaks for us...

im not saying boychuck sucks.. and i agree with those here that say hed be a number 3 on many teams.. and i agree he got fair market value on his deal.. and i agree he has played well in our system

im not debating any of those points. im just saying that our biggest hole on our team the last couple years is our weakness in our 3/4 pairing not having a puck moving pp qb type there and now we arent going to have one for the near future either.

boychuck as a 5/6 guy or a 4 guy partnered with the right 3 guy would be wonderful... i think hamilton is our future 4 guy though and ference/mcquaid are paid like 5/6 guys. boychuck is now very much paid like a 3 guy and he just doesnt fit the puzzle imo

Old
02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
RaybCamn

Good for him, I like the deal, a little high but making a big deal over 250k in hockey terms is kinda dumb.
He is our best hitting D, hes turning in day after day of solid d and has become far more consistant. He is trying more and more to jump up into the offense and getting better at it. The only way is up for him. I think this is one of those deals when we look back we will say it was a good signing.

RaybCamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
if boychuck was a 5-6 million dollar guy like strait... or vishnovsky... or bouwmeister... or someone of that ilk... it becomes better for us.
All three are perennial minus-players. No toughness, no grit, and porous defensively.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
wensink

I am more than fine with it.

As others have said, has anyone not seen what proven D-Men get when they get into free agency?

I wish there was a way to compare him to anyone else that plays 20+ minutes, is a big hitter with a very good shot, to see what they are getting.

Sure he occasionally gives the puck away...but I can definitely live with this.

wensink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Greatest Of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesse View Post
Good call, man! Always love seeing folks posts rumors here that end up happening.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Uh, ya they do. The Bruins are a Cup winning team and Boychuk is the #3.
if we win another cup without upgrading our defense i guess you are right and im wrong. i know we won a cup but montral wasnt really that good of a team.. it would have been disgraceful not to beat them and we still went 7 with them...

philly... just fell apart right before our eyes. i will take it cause they humilated us the year before... but it was more about them crapping then us playing amazing hockey when we beat them

then tampa... had really horrible defense themselves... very shaky goaltending.. and still we struggled to a 7 game decesion against them

i know.. i know... i know.. all we can do is beat the teams in front of us and we did...

in the finals... everyone knew we were massive underdogs. and the main reason was no superstar scoring up front... no effective offense from our blueline... no pp

the thing people didnt remember is louongo turns into a sieve if someone gets into his head. he is mentally fragile. chicago knew this... we learnt this

and their whole team is kind of mentally fragile to be honest.. once the diving and stuff started they sort of self destructed too

but still there was 3 games we simply couldnt score against them on their ice cause our defense couldnt move the puck. they were ripe for the killing, and we had to go to game 7 cause our pp was non exisitient and our defense couldnt help any fast break offensive attack play and our forwards were terrfied to leave the defense alone cause of all of its failings earlier against tampa.

we almost didnt beat tampa when we ran-and-gunned. and vancouver was a much better offensive team.

we had to play smash mouth defensive hockey to win.. and rely on lougon turning in an incredibly horrible performance...

luckily it happened. we won a cup. we were the better team for 4 games when it mattered most.

but vancouver sucked quite a bit in those 4 games. we got into their head and they self destructed.

it was no sure thing we would have won the cup if one extra break went against us... montreal had us to game 7 in overtime... we didnt steamroll ourselves to a cup win...

and we blew a 3-0 lead against philly the year before.

yes, we won a cup.. yes we are allowed to be happy.. but lets not say we are preniel cup contenders cause we only were for 1 single season.. and half the fans here predicted us to be like an 8th place team and said we should fire our gm and coach even after the playoffs had started.

so its easy to be snippy and say that now that we won.. everything is golden here... but the truth is we have often been unhappy with chiarellis decesions. we all wanted ryder sent to the ahl when we were in cap hell last year. i didnt.. i can say i suggested we play the guy and let him get some value back... but thats me.. i sure had no support when i posted that idea

everyone else wanted him bought out or buried.

now i have raised the possibility peverly and boychuck are both overpaid according to team needs/depth chart.. and what they can deliver. i guess i might end up wrong. i sure wasnt wrong when i ws one of the only voices wondering why the hell we were giving hunwick so much contract. but he got dealt.. so props to chiarelli getting rid of that stiff

i was sad to see sturm lost to cap mismanagement last year... but turns out he never got really healthy again and has sucked... so i suppose we didnt lose a good player there.

we dont have many bad contracts anymore... but i dont want to start adding a bunch either. cap room is worth its weight in gold.

seguin is going to be wanting 5-7mill per year on his next deal.. thats the going rate for all ppg top 2 picks on their second contracts. rask will want a huge raise on his next deal if hes the starter. lucic will be worth a huge raise on his next deal.

we got cap room today, but we got guys coming up the next couple years that need raises

and the cap is artifically too high... they claw back 10% of it cause real revenues dont match projections. the players are very upset at losing their money. theres a new cba coming and this will be a battle point. maybe the players will continue to allow the league to set unrealistic cap ceilings but im not certain of that.

all in all... if a team that wants to be a cup contender... is making a huge long term deal to a guy they expect to be in their top 3 on defense.. they dont make this type of offer to a guy like johnny boychuck normally

it feels like defeat to me. like settling for second choice.

i hope he has some bigger plan, cause if this is all there is then im concerend. and my concern is on record

Old
02-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
All three are perennial minus-players. No toughness, no grit, and porous defensively.
true which is why i suggest we bring them in as 3/4 guys instead of the number 1 guys they have been forced to be their entire careers.

id want them here as a luxery to overmatch their pairups... to be studs playing in the shadow of chara who is tough and gritty and plays wonderful defense.

these guys would compliment what chara does not.. by adding skating speed to the blueline... lugging the puck more... and all our horses able to eat mins in games we have huge leads and can rest chara more... keep him fresher.

and all could step up as a number 1 in a pinch...

vishnovsky and strait are among the top 5 pp qbs in the league over the past 5 years... bouwmister is not, but hes also not pourous defensively either.

i realize these guys arent hof reincarnations of orr or bourque... but for me they are the types of guys i was hoping for to see as our new number 3 guy once boychuck/corvo moved on.

and im sure there are other names out there id be happy with... these are just 3 i think were available that would have worked for me too

Old
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
I don't either. I think his deal isn't all that bad, given he was a scheduled UFA.
Been waiting for you to check in. I like to validate my thoughts with yours. Glad we are on the same page on this.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
RussellmaniaKW

I haven't encountered a poster on the internet who says so much while saying so little.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
FutureConsiderations

Meh.

Slight overpayment, but that's only an issue if it costs them another player.

Overall, I'm glad he's in the fold. Good for Johnny.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 02-14-2012 at 05:38 PM.
FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
Two thumbs up for Chiarelli.

I just think back to the days of fee agent snubs and acrimonious contract negotiations, and I couldn't be happier with the current state of affairs.

Chia has built an environment where his own players want to stay, and other players want to join.

Oh, and they win, too!

This post is all that needs to be said. Well done!!

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote