HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors)

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Nash is a 60 point player and has a horrendous contract.

They'd be lucky to get Dubinsky, a B level prospect and a 2nd. Lucky. He's nearly a salary dump for them at this point if they weren't bottom feeders.

Kreider? MDZ? What a joke.

You remember that Gomez/Pyatt/Busto trade for Higgins, McD, Vtank? This was our Nash deal a few years back. CBJ is attempting the same.

Granted, Nash is a much better player than Gomez. But at the time, they were putting up similar points and their contracts aren't too far off either.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
He isn't aggressive, has no defense or shot blocking skills. Only thing he really has is his shot. Gaborik is a lot better than Nash. Nash is comparable to a Nedved.
That's not what the team is looking for, they're looking for a guy to put the puck in the back of the ****ing net.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
God, I can't believe you guys want his 7.8 million.

Let's just get rid of some our core for his overpaid hide.

Sounds like the Rangers of old. Glad none of you are GMs.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's completely untrue. If we could sign Parise for 7M/year this summer (as we've shown works) we could do the same with 7.8 for Nash. The point is whether he's worth 7.8M for 6 more years AND losing the assets it will take to obtain him. That's a different story.
it is completely true. you have to reasonably assume that the cap will be coming down a good amount after this round of cba negotiations. even if the cap gets set down to 52% of hockey related revenues (with hrr pegged at 3 billion) that leaves a salary cap of 52 million. not sure how you re-sign all those guys and get nash..

Old
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Give me Carter over Nash for the price. Pretty easily. Nash is easily one of the most overrated players in the entire league.

A very good player, for sure. Probably a 70 point player on the Rangers, even. But a superstar? Nope. And CBJ is going to want a return like a superstar would bring. Well, at least their fans will.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
it is completely true. you have to reasonably assume that the cap will be coming down a good amount after this round of cba negotiations. even if the cap gets set down to 52% of hockey related revenues (with hrr pegged at 3 billion) that leaves a salary cap of 52 million. not sure how you re-sign all those guys and get nash..
The cap isn't going to simply drop without either rolling back players salaries and/or allowing teams to buy players out without taking a cap hit. Just not happening. You actually think that teams spending right at the cap are all of a sudden going to simply get screwed? Come on.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I don't see why everyone just says "you have to reasonably assume that the cap will be coming down a good amount ... ." Makes no sense to me. I don't see the cap drastically dropping, because the players would just as well force another missed year. They won't agree to a hugely cut cap. That hurts their bottom line. And teams near the cap won't want it, since they'd have to jettison contracts.

In all reality, the cap as it is now works well. The small market teams really can go **** themselves. Stop whining about the ****ing cap. You were the *******s who wanted it. Now live in the bed you made. Either ****ing sell tickets or get the **** out to Kansas City.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
LyNX27

For the package being offered for Nash I'd rather wait till the off season and then take all those pieces (Dubi/Ani/etc...) and flip them for draft picks then sign Parise.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The cap isn't going to simply drop without either rolling back players salaries and/or allowing teams to buy players out without taking a cap hit. Just not happening. You actually think that teams spending right at the cap are all of a sudden going to simply get screwed? Come on.
Bingo. None of those teams would ever ratify a CBA that just rolled the cap back with nothing else. I don't even think buyouts would be enough. Would probably demand contract restructuring. Something. Just assuming the cap is going to go down is silly.

Old
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Give me Carter over Nash for the price. Pretty easily. Nash is easily one of the most overrated players in the entire league.

A very good player, for sure. Probably a 70 point player on the Rangers, even. But a superstar? Nope. And CBJ is going to want a return like a superstar would bring. Well, at least their fans will.
Well yeah, and considering the relative asking price between the two i'd take Carter over Nash any day of the week.

Nash is a dynamic player, Carter is a sniper. Odd as it may sound, we need a pure goal scorer more than a Nash type player.

Trxjw
Bored.

Not to get too involved in this, but the amount of people doubting Nash's skill is pretty absurd. Sure, he's a 60-70 point player, but it's kind of important to note that 50-80% of those points are goals. The guy is one of the best pure goal scorers in the game today. Don't kid yourselves.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
of course theres going to be amnesty buyouts.. at least 1 without a cap penality. but, ok so who do you buy out? you going to buy out gabby? richards? lundqvist?

Old
DutchShamrock

Dubinsky, Kreider, Sauer, 1st for Nash in some of these proposals? For Nash? I've never seen a more overrated one dimensiona player.

Sather isn't adding that contract and subtracting all of that youth. Not happening.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Serious question...is there anyone out there who actually wants this to happen?

Theres something out there to hate for everyone from Nash's silly cap hit to including Kreider.

Personally, I dont really give a **** about dealing Kreider - in the best case scenario, Kreider becomes Nash, and thats a pretty rosy outlook.

I think Dubinsky is a much bigger part of this team and its core than his numbers dictate and, perhaps more importantly, I dont want to have anything to do with an almost $8M cap hit over the next 7 years.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't see why everyone just says "you have to reasonably assume that the cap will be coming down a good amount ... ." Makes no sense to me. I don't see the cap drastically dropping, because the players would just as well force another missed year. They won't agree to a hugely cut cap. That hurts their bottom line. And teams near the cap won't want it, since they'd have to jettison contracts.

In all reality, the cap as it is now works well. The small market teams really can go **** themselves. Stop whining about the ****ing cap. You were the *******s who wanted it. Now live in the bed you made. Either ****ing sell tickets or get the **** out to Kansas City.
right but thats not the way its going to work. the cap the way it is now doesnt work for small markets. its going to drop no matter what, lets face that fact. even with the cap at the level it is now, its still tough to bring nash in here

Old
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not to get too involved in this, but the amount of people doubting Nash's skill is pretty absurd. Sure, he's a 60-70 point player, but it's kind of important to note that 50-80% of those points are goals. The guy is one of the best pure goal scorers in the game today. Don't kid yourselves.
He's in Kovalchuk territory... a compliment and a knock at the same time. It's no coincidence that he has never been on a good team, never won a playoff game, gets tons of points on bad, bad hockey clubs. Scary similar. Skill and winning do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Maybe so, but what's the difference? If I have someone who consistently puts up 70 points, albeit assists or goals, he's helping the team get goals isn't he? If we have the brass (we do for the most part), a 70 point player is a 70 point player.

Bottom line here isn't whether or not Nash is a great goal scorer or player, it's that he makes nearly $8M a year for a long time and is at a cost that is absurd. Rangers back off and no way give in to anything close to this deal.

This is the Rangers of old attempting a trade like this. Fans should forget this ever even was mentioned. Focus on the playoffs and the cup, we actually have a shot for once. Any movement will be the acquisition of a cheaper top-9 forward and maybe a mean 3rd pair D to bolster the cup run.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Theres something out there to hate for everyone from Nash's silly cap hit to including Kreider.

Personally, I dont really give a **** about dealing Kreider - in the best case scenario, Kreider becomes Nash, and thats a pretty rosy outlook.

I think Dubinsky is a much bigger part of this team and its core than his numbers dictate and, perhaps more importantly, I dont want to have anything to do with an almost $8M cap hit over the next 7 years.
Well, 94now does...

But he's also the infamous one that said that Chad Johnson was going to surpass Henrik Lundqvist.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Best case scenario is Kreider puts up 25-35 goals a season on an ELC and an RFA contract... not at $7.8m.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
That's not what the team is looking for, they're looking for a guy to put the puck in the back of the ****ing net.
and he's been pretty damn ineffective at that this year. I know a guy who can put the puck in the back of the net for exponentially cheaper. His name is Teemu Selanne.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Affinity

If they trade away a bunch of the young core for Nash, who is seriously overpaid, during our best season in a while, in which we have a 7 point cushion on the 2nd place team in the East, I don't think I'd be able to watch hockey for a while. Carter would be easier to get here and cost less. I'm hopeful it's Carter they're going after and not Nash.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Cmox

This Nash talk has popped up way too much for me to feel comfortable.I don't like it. I'm not willing to see the Rangers part with whatever the asking price is/ also what it would take meet his cap hit. Here's to a boring Trade Deadline Day.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
yea but he is also big and not physical at all. Rangers fans get on players who has size who doesnt use it...

dont really want a player that has size but fights like Brian Boyle..

Old
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
right but thats not the way its going to work. the cap the way it is now doesnt work for small markets. its going to drop no matter what, lets face that fact. even with the cap at the level it is now, its still tough to bring nash in here
The cap now works fine for ALL but the smallest of markets. Not many teams are outright struggling to make end's meat. This isn't Communism. Some teams will always be poor (like the Islanders and the Coyotes). Just saying it's "going to drop no matter what" is ludicrous at best. There is a LOT more to the cap than that. Why do you think the players brought in Fehr? They are going to play this to the bitter end. They have the upper hand with this round of negotiations because they already allowed for the cap. Why give in to more demands from the owners?

If anything, the owners are the ones that owe the players something this round and you can be damn ****ing sure that the players are going to collect.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
and he's been pretty damn ineffective at that this year. I know a guy who can put the puck in the back of the net for exponentially cheaper. His name is Teemu Selanne.
Also to his credit he has neither of a 7.8 cap hit or six years remaining.

Does he want to come to NY? That is another story.

Closed Thread