HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Old
02-13-2012, 06:29 AM
northvanman

vCash: 500
OUA Schedule Mostly Set

Wed Feb 15 Brock at Waterloo 7:30 pm EST
Thu Feb 16 Waterloo at Brock 7:15 pm EST
Sun Feb 19 Brock at Waterloo 7:30 pm EST *

Wed Feb 15 Lakehead at Guelph 7:30 pm EST
Fri Feb 17 Guelph at Lakehead 7:30 pm EST
Sat Feb 18 Guelph at Lakehead 7:30 pm EST *

Wed Feb 15 Queen's at McGill 7:00 pm EST
Fri Feb 17 McGill at Queen's 7:30 pm EST
Sun Feb 19 Queen's at McGill 7:00 pm EST *

Wed Feb 15 UQTR at Ryerson 7:30 pm EST
Sat Feb 18 Ryerson at UQTR 2:00 pm EST
Sun Feb 19 Ryerson at UQTR 7:00 pm EST *

Wed Feb 15 Nipissing at Ottawa 7:00 pm EST
Fri Feb 17 Ottawa at Nipissing 7:00 pm EST
Sat Feb 18 Ottawa at Nipissing 7:00 pm EST *

Wed Feb 15 Toronto at Carleton 7:00 pm EST
Sat Feb 18 Carleton at Toronto 7:30 pm EST
Sun Feb 19 Carleton at Toronto 7:30 pm EST*

Thu Feb 16 Laurier at Western 7:35 pm EST
Fri Feb 17 Western at Laurier 7:30 pm EST
Sun Feb 19 Laurier at Western 7:35 pm EST *

Thu Feb 16 York at Windsor 7:30 pm EST
Sat Feb 18 Windsor at York 7:00 pm EST
Sun Feb 19 Windsor at York 7:00 pm EST*

I think it's very likely we'll see teams other than Western and McGill win their divisions. In the East, watch out for Nipissing, Carleton, and Toronto (Toronto has very quietly had a pretty good season - if they could have found a way to beat Ryerson, they might have finished second in the East). In the West, watch out for York and Windsor, both of whom finished the season strong (Windsor on a six game winning streak) - shame they are playing each other in the first round.

Last edited by northvanman: 02-13-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Carleton/Toronto and York/Windsor games added
northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I guess the Wednesday thing is just a "suggested start". Here I thought it was an AUS "standard" or "rule". For the second year in a row the quarter-finals have been pushed to a staggered Thursday-Friday start and could creep into Monday.

Thu. February 16th StFX @ Moncton 7:00 PM
Sat. February 18th Moncton @ StFX 7:00 PM
Mon. February 20th StFX @ Moncton 7:00 PM (if necessary)

Fri. February 17th Acadia @ UPEI 7:00 PM
Sun. February 19th UPEI @ Acadia 7:00 PM
Mon. February 20th Acadia @ UPEI 7:00 PM (if necessary)

I wish it was at least best of 5 but oh well.

02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Webcasts

Not to justify the broadcasters, but these guys are basically volunteers trying to see if maybe they can get a job in the real media. The quality varies greatly from one place to another. The quality also gets better every year. So maybe one day we will get pros to do the broadcasts.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:20 AM
cishockeyfan

im very Intrigued this year by the Playoffs and what could happen, more than recent years seems the CIS has been much more balanced this year than at least the previous few years.

-Not only could any team become the 2nd team in the AUS to Qualify for the University Cup, but each team in the Playoffs is capable of Going to the University Cup as the AUS Champ and UNB going in simply as the Host.

-In the Canada West, I would say the favourites are manitoba and Alberta, saskatchewan is right their and I dont think you can count out Calgary. the Horny ones would be the only team without a chance to Make it to Fredericton. Of course Home Ice is Huge out West, and I think if Manitoba Clinches 1st, they are the front runner, but its still wide open much like the AUS

-The OUA East and West are very much up for Grabs, I would have Said Western is the Obvious favourite after their 2 Game sweep of Lakehead, but their two losses this past weekend show its anyones game. McGill Has Not been as dominant in their Conference as they have been in the Past Few Years, great record but close games. UQTR is right their with them. But to be honest Im cheering for Nippising to grab a nationals berth, theyve shown they can score with any team in the OUA, they will just have to get some timely goaltending, and hopefully the D will tighten up

My Predictions to be at the University Cup

Manitoba
McGill
Lakehead
Nippising
UNB
St Mary's

Pools will likely be
UNB, Lakehead, Nippising
Manitoba, McGill, St Marys

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:38 AM
cishockeyfan

With that said and no University cup Thread yet, who is a contender to host the university Cup the next times after saskatchewan?

In The Canada West, UBC has a perfect size Venue to host it, but would their ever be interest in Vancouver enough to support it? Manitoba and the MTS Center anyone? Be Great but is their interest now with the Jets in Town, and could they make the room for the tourney to be hosted in March with the NHL Schedule prob Not, so does Winnepeg have a rink to support the round robin before using the MTS Center for the final? return to Edmonton is possible for sure, what about calgary?

Mcgill could certainly host, multiple Venues around Montreal to use, Nippising would be a great host but is the rink large enough? Ottawa/Carlton with rotating berths maybe?

Lakehead could do it again, Kitchener/Waterloo by size and rink are good, but they didnt seem to show any type of interest or respect to the tourney in the early 2000's. The Toronto area could do it, but same thing the support got brutal last time they hosted for years, and the University teams in the city seem to have taking a back seat to anything going on around there

Fredericton could do it again but I dont see a third time happening soon, Moncton could do it again. Halifax is a high possibility with the Metro Center with Dalhousie trying last time, and now with Beliveau on the Manager side of things only wouldnt be surprised to see him try again, Its my feeling St Mary's Should go for it as well, or maybe a dual bid and rotating berth between the two schools. Acadia and St FX could in the terms of Interest but their rinks don't support the size of the Event. St Thomas could not, because they would have to use UNB's Rink. UPEI could, the Civic Center is just Big Enough, but Ive never heard of such a interest from their

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
nosl

Anxious for playoff hockey here. I hope the Lakers can get past the first round against Ottawa, and then hopefully face l'UQTR in the second round. I would love to see a series between les Patriotes & les Lakers. For those who are interested, 600 CKAT broadcasts all Lakers games live online.

Memorial Gardens is more than suitable for accomodating a championship of this size. Attendance has been down this year though (which I will post the final numbers this week -- I have had troubles signing onto my account).

The facilty can accomodate 4000 spectators, has 5 dressing rooms + two for the anchor tenants (Lakers & Jr A Trappers). Though, some of these dressing rooms are incredibly small even for Midget AAA teams. The Lakers also put in a bid to host the CIS championships, losing to Saskatchewan.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah..it might be time for a CIS Playoffs/University Cup thread.

As for possible hosts after Saskatchewan...like you have pointed out, there aren't really that many places that would have the combination of fan support and a viable arena...let alone having the school interested in hosting it. After being hosted by the AUS and CW I could see it going to the OUA next though. What about Western? What is their rink like? From the couple of webcasts I have seen it doesn't look that big. I could see Nipissing getting it if they bid again...I don't believe an OUA east team has ever hosted.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
northvanman

I think the only two Ontario cities who could successfully host the University Cup are Thunder Bay and North Bay. You would think that K-W would be a good spot, given that Waterloo, Laurier and Guelph are all local and that Western, Brock and the three Toronto teams are all within an hour, but they really didn't get the crowds when they hosted a few years ago - shame too, because the Sun Life Arena is a great facility. I wonder if Ottawa could host, though.

Seating capacity at Western's Thompson Arena is actually quite high - close to 5,000. On the webcasts it looks smaller because all of the seats behind on the penalty box side (i.e. opposite where the camera is) of the rink and at the end of the rink are portable (roll out, high school gym style) because there is an indoor track around the rink. However, I think if Western ever hosted the University Cup, they'd probably do it at the John Labatt Centre downtown. Having said all of that, I don't think they'd get the crowds either - this is a team that has been at or near the top of the standings for most of the past three decades and they struggle to get more than 500 people out to most games. It's a London Knights town.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Rob

Does anyone know where Dal is going to play next season?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:14 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Does anyone know where Dal is going to play next season?
I read this or heard it on the Dalhousie webcast...they are playing from the Forum and practicing from another rink in the City. They are spending some $$ to fit up the dressing rooms for the Tigers.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:35 PM
AUS Fan

That would probably be the Civic Arena, which is attached to the Forum. It would be a two minute walk with skate guards on from where they will have their dressing room.
SMU will take the prime practice time in the Forum (4 pm -7 pm), so Dal would need to skate somewhere else.

I understand that they're spending around 50K to upgrade the dressing room and put in some office space, as everything related to hockey is in the old rink.

SMU is reportedly spending upwards of 400K on their side of the Forum, meaning that they are there for the long haul. No new rink in my lifetime.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
That would probably be the Civic Arena, which is attached to the Forum. It would be a two minute walk with skate guards on from where they will have their dressing room.
SMU will take the prime practice time in the Forum (4 pm -7 pm), so Dal would need to skate somewhere else.

I understand that they're spending around 50K to upgrade the dressing room and put in some office space, as everything related to hockey is in the old rink.

SMU is reportedly spending upwards of 400K on their side of the Forum, meaning that they are there for the long haul. No new rink in my lifetime.
is there even enough space for two teams there, plus visitors?

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:55 AM
SnipeShow91

Friday, Feb 10. RMC 0 @ Toronto 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5CA89Ig6Y
Sat, Feb 11. Toronto 3 @ RMC 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDRNT4grVD4

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
STUTOMMIES

What ever happened to Jack Walchassen at UPEI? Never played a game for the Panthers and he was their big Xmas recruit.

Island Husky, did you hear?

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
What ever happened to Jack Walchassen at UPEI? Never played a game for the Panthers and he was their big Xmas recruit.

Yeah I did, turns out he was/is a great student and all, basically he was available, may have even inquired of UPEI, not the other way around. So Forbie just sort of allowed him to come along, kind of nothing to lose, looks good for the program academically. I believe AUS Fan was talking to Forbie about him specifically. I would say if we don't see him in the lineup next season, ( UPEI stands to lose about a half dozen although Knox and Locke haven't really decided yet ) I don't think we ever will. Even McQuaid and Taylor saw more time, so they'll be looking to jump in too.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post

He did play at Dal over Christmas in exhibition. Did not play a lot; maybe 8 shifts. I was talking to Forbie before that game and he said that he (Walchessen) was a very good student and leader ( captain of the Petes). I was expecting to see him in the second half and forgot until I read this your post. He was with Trenton Titans prior to coming tomthe AUS. Can't find any stats on hime.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote