HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Senators Prospect Info 2011-2012 Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 03:35 PM
WayneBruce

vCash: 500
Yeah, Zibanejad should play in the AHL or NHL next year, Djurgården is not the right place for him right now. He is not playing bad at all, he has actually been very good the last few games but the style of hockey doesn´t really suit him. The AHL would have been perfect for him this year, the SEL is to passive these days and his team has been struggling all season, it might not even be a SEL team next season.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Yeah, Zibanejad should play in the AHL or NHL next year, Djurgården is not the right place for him right now. He is not playing bad at all, he has actually been very good the last few games but the style of hockey doesn´t really suit him. The AHL would have been perfect for him this year, the SEL is to passive these days and his team has been struggling all season, it might not even be a SEL team next season.
Has DIF ever been relegated?

Old
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Has DIF ever been relegated?
Yes, once in 1976 but that was right after their first season in the SEL.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Exalted User

Quote:
You aren't disagreeing with me because I agree with you on the matter.
Got that.

Quote:
But the argument about Joakim Lindstrom was faulty, if you're interested in getting into a debate with firenze about point production as a predictor of NHL success (which I realize you don't want to) you'd be better off finding a player at comparable age who hasn't scored like Silfverberg has.
Omark comes to mind, scored at ppg at 21. Not that they are similar players or that i write Omark off. But does he have 70-80pt potential? I know you get what i mean but i don't know if he does.

Quote:
Silfverberg looks to be like a 50-55 point player who's defining quality is his overall two-way play, smarts and competitiveness. Like I said, best case scenario he's the next Jere Lehtinen, and I emphasize best case scenario. His development curve has been very impressive though, you never know what could happen if it continues.
I'm thinking something along these lines as well. I'm obviously hoping for more but i just don't expect it.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
KRM

Claesson made the highlight reel tonight.

http://www.hockeykanalen.se/1.253609...mot_djurgarden

Couldn't resist.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Minister of Offence

delete

Old
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post

Couldn't resist.
Oh man.

I'd have preferred you just got involved with the Silfverberg conversation.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Interesting discussion. There is no clear equation for SEL production over to the NHL. In particular for a 21 year older still on the development curve. Adapting isn't consistent, and development isn't linear.

On one hand Silfverberg might be our 3rd most skilled winger when he arrives (saying more about our lack of talent on the wing, to a degree). On the other hand, he'll likely have difficulty to some degree doing what he does in the SEL, in the NHL. Who knows.

But my guess is he'll be slotted ahead of Zibanejad, at least. Not sure where Petersson, Hoffman, Da Costa and even Filatov, fit, but all could have a say about who is in our top 6 next year.

As to a 70 point scorer, perhaps in a career year, when Spezza or his center is getting 90. But that is pretty elite company for a winger. Ovechkin, Parise and many other elite forwards are on a 70 point pace. Even Spezza is just ahead of that. If you aren't getting 1st line minutes and 1st line PP time, pretty much impossible to get to 70 points in this day and age. And even then, no guaranteem, even for the elite. If he ends up averaging 25-25 in his five best years, I'd be pretty pleased with that production from the Sens perspective. As a team, we'll probably only have three 20 goal scorers this year. We could definitely use another.

Either way, my hope is Greening and Condra are down on the third or fourth line with Smith, Neil, and perhaps one of Winchester or Daugavins. Maybe one of Petersson or Hoffman slips in there, and perhaps Foligno bounces between Turris' line, and Smith's, once again next year. Da Costa could actually fit on a 3rd line with a full season under his belt.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
starling

Quote:

Couldn't resist.
He still got best +/- among all junior players even on a crappy team.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:11 PM
KRM

Quote:
Oh man.

I'd have preferred you just got involved with the Silfverberg conversation.
Sure thing. Silfverberg = Alfredsson 2.0, he's a beast. Don't underestimate him just because Rundblad produced similar points and can't hack it in the NHL. Silfverberg is money, and his game will transfer well to the NHL.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Sure thing. Silfverberg = Alfredsson 2.0, he's a beast. Don't underestimate him just because Rundblad produced similar points and can't hack it in the NHL. Silfverberg is money, and his game will transfer well to the NHL.
Stop by anytime, KRM.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
What you wrote was:

I interpet that as: If a completely nhl-unprooven player scores 50 points in the SEL he has the potential to score 70-80pts in the NHL. Silfverberg is just that. Unprooven in the NHL!

Just because he's Silfverberg does't mean he has some magical advantage over any other unprooven player that comes in to the league.

I love the guy to death but let's get real!
Hey kid, no one penciled backstrom to score over 100p either. When silfverberg hits 26-27 years old who is to say what he can do?

Old
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
Hey kid, no one penciled backstrom to score over 100p either. When silfverberg hits 26-27 years old who is to say what he can do?
Well, Backstrom's top end potential was certainly regarded as significantly higher than Silfverberg. He was close to a ppg player in the SEL as a teenager. Silfverberg was doing about what Zibanejad is right now at that age. Very different development curve.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:02 PM
alfstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
Yes i watch every Brynäs game. And it's six games by the by. But i still don't see how 50 points in the SEL guarantees 70-80pt potential. Joakim Lindström won the scoring race in the SEL last year with 60pts, does he have 90-100pt potential? I think you're missing something in you train of thaught.

I know but i still think it's way to optimistic.
Seems like every goal I see from silfverberg seems to be an absolute lazer! hes likely to get time with spezza when the top line doesn't produce for a few games in a row and whos to say he wont end up getting a full season on the top line/pp if he produces well there.

It is very possible that over his career he would produce 70-80 points on spez's wing with pp time. Is anyone here actually guaranteeing he will achieve this?? no. I think 50 points on the 2nd line while playing loads of pk is a realistic assumption for silf in as early as 2 years from now. If you haven't noticed the sens are desperate for top wingers and im sure they're willing to give anyone a try to see if someone can step up.

No harm in having a little faith in a prospect who seems so get exponentially better every year!!

Old
02-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, Backstrom's top end potential was certainly regarded as significantly higher than Silfverberg. He was close to a ppg player in the SEL as a teenager. Silfverberg was doing about what Zibanejad is right now at that age. Very different development curve.
That's misleading.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:14 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
I've read KRM's posts across this board and he always seems bang on in his analysis towards SEL players' readiness to the NHL like his predictions on Karlsson and Rundblad. So hearing him say this gets me excited, real excited.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I've read KRM's posts across this board and he always seems bang on in his analysis towards SEL players' readiness to the NHL like his predictions on Karlsson and Rundblad. So hearing him say this gets me excited, real excited.
I only asked because I know he's high on Silfverberg

But to be fair he's not a Swedish prospect homer by any means...he can actually be pretty harsh at times.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
I only asked because I know he's high on Silfverberg

But to be fair he's not a Swedish prospect homer by any means...he can actually be pretty harsh at times.
Haha, I didn't mean my post to be indirectly towards you, I was just talking to the general posters on here of why we should get excited about what he just posted.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Pellegrino

It's typical youth enthusiasm to hype Silfverberg as a 80+ point player. He's a guy with potential, but NHL is a much higher level than SEL, which his team mate Ekholm has learned during this season. Bäckström was always a much bigger talent than Silfverberg, it would be better to compare his potential to someone like Huselius who obviously is a 50-70 point player which by the way is decent in the best league in the world.

Silfverberg could obviously end up as a 80 point player, however what I'm saying is that he has a long way to go and you can't take that for granted as you could with someone like Crosby. From Ottawa's perspective, Silfverberg was a great draft pick. Afterall, you don't have to be superstar-material to be a great second round draft pick. PP-icetime will be the key for him to succeed in the NHL.

Last edited by Pellegrino: 02-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old
02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Zibanejad is much better right now than Silfverberg was at the same age, honestly its not even close. Silfverberg has made huge improvements to his game since then, Zibanejad could become a real monster if his development curve follows Silfverbergs. But again, it remains to be seen how well they can make the transition to the NHL.

The Backstrom comparison is a bit off. Backstrom has more pure talent than either Silfverberg or Zibanejad but all three are pretty talented players. Backstrom is also a completely different type of player, a pure playmaker.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Zibanejad is much better right now than Silfverberg was at the same age, honestly its not even close. Silfverberg has made huge improvements to his game since then, Zibanejad could become a real monster if his development curve follows Silfverbergs. But again, it remains to be seen how well they can make the transition to the NHL.
And this is why I said it's misleading.

It's like people are trying to convince themselves Zibanejad's production is a disappointment. You watch the kid play you see how good he is already.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Afro Thunder*

Agreed, Silfver is now a much more polished well rounded prospect while Zibby is still a raw talent that needs time to put it together like Silfver has but has a much much higher upside and more offensive tools.

Old
02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Agreed, Silfver is now a much more polished well rounded prospect while Zibby is still a raw talent that needs time to put it together like Silfver has but has a much much higher upside and more offensive tools.
If Zibanejad can take anything away from Silfverberg he may be a perennial all-star. The talent level in Zib is elite....but that doesn't always make for an elite NHLer.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would bet against that, they liked Gryba before & I don't see any reason why they still wouldn't like him & give him an opportunity. So many on here gave up on O'Brien & now that he is playing in Ottawa they are saying how good he loooks. .
The other than that needs to be understood is that most people writing O'Brien off were probably barely watching him and/or just watching statlines.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
The other than that needs to be understood is that most people writing O'Brien off were probably barely watching him and/or just watching statlines.
Agreed. O'Brien was pretty good in the playoff run too, however, Ottawa already had Winchester under contract & they (Maclean) wanted Konopka as well. O`Brien now looks ready to be an NHLer.

Closed Thread