HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Could the Flyers be interested in Nash?

Old
02-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
Do you have any LOGIC as to why this is such an absurd suggestion?

Howson has been talking to Philly. Columbus pretty much has nothing defensively that would interest us, Johansen won't be moved, Carter isn't coming back, so Nash is a logical target.

But we would never trade for Nash as long as Briere is here because of his ridiculous cap hit.

At the same time as Howson is talking to us, Gauthier has been a constant at our games. Danny Briere is from Montreal. He frequently goes back to Montreal. He has said numerous times that it is important to him that his kids learn french. His ex-wife is also from the Montreal area.

Sylvie and Danny have a joint custody agreement. If the entire family were to move to Montreal, there is absolutely no problem there.

Since Danny and Sylvie both seem to love Montreal, it seems like the most logical destination.
Do I have logic? Sometimes I do.. Briere said f.... Montreal I want to play in Philadelphia in 2007.

Ever since that time Briere has been booed by Montreal fans. So you saying Gauthier is going to do what?

Now you are saying what?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:43 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
That 3 team deal seems pretty interesting. CLB would need a boatload of picks and prospects to ship off Nash and only get Bob in return. Plus I think they'd be better of with Bernier, but none of us really know where Bob will peak.

CLB gets:
Bob
Kadri (or similar forward prospect)
Franson (or similar defensive prospect)
TOR 1st
PHI 2nd
Komisarek (cap dump)

PHI gets:
Schenn
Sanford/Dekanich

TOR gets:
Nash
PHI 4th
CLB 6th

something similar to that?
Not to hijack this thread, but the idea of getting Komisarek as a salary dump intrigues me. I have to watch more TML games to see if, as some have said, he stinks; I am of the uneducated opinion that he stinks for a $4.5 mil cap hit, but could be the big body (6'4", 243 lb) crease clearer this team doesn't have right now. Komisarek was a bruising defensive defenseman in Montreal, and he would cost less than nothing. Yes, it's a big cap hit for a 3rd liner, but if Lilja went the other way ...

I'll just wait here for someone to tell me how wrong I am.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
DumpyD

I think Nash's contract is doable, considering the two pieces we'd most likely be sending the other way (JvR and Bob) would only be making 1.8 million less than Nash next season.

Then again I'm crazy.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I agree, Komisarek is intriguing. He was good in Montreal. We've all seen Ron Wilson ruin players. Maybe a change of scene would help.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but the idea of getting Komisarek as a salary dump intrigues me. I have to watch more TML games to see if, as some have said, he stinks; I am of the uneducated opinion that he stinks for a $4.5 mil cap hit, but could be the big body (6'4", 243 lb) crease clearer this team doesn't have right now. Komisarek was a bruising defensive defenseman in Montreal, and he would cost less than nothing. Yes, it's a big cap hit for a 3rd liner, but if Lilja went the other way ...

I'll just wait here for someone to tell me how wrong I am.
you sir are so very wrong!!!!111 He doesn't even crack the line-up over the rookies on their team. He just has not had a good year, actually two years now in Toronto. Also he just isnt signed for this year but two more after it. I would be a shame for us to get him, but in good news he would look good with Matt Walker as our top pairing in the AHL!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
I think Nash's contract is doable, considering the two pieces we'd most likely be sending the other way (JvR and Bob) would only be making 1.8 million less than Nash next season.

Then again I'm crazy.
Two million dollars more for one player instead of two.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
I agree, Komisarek is intriguing. He was good in Montreal. We've all seen Ron Wilson ruin players. Maybe a change of scene would help.
Every time I watched Komisarek in Toronto he looked like a bum. Guys.. remember our 1st games against Toronto.

Komisarek was victimized by Jagr. He looked like deer in the headlights and this was just one game. Leafs benched Komi and played better without him, I am sorry to say but Komisarek without Markov ainít ****.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Two million dollars more for one player instead of two.
So once we sign a backup goalie we're looking at around 2.5 million. We have an elite player for a guy who may or may not be elite someday, but definitely not contributing this year. At the expense of 2.5 million, it's feasible.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:58 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
you sir are so very wrong!!!!111 He doesn't even crack the line-up over the rookies on their team. He just has not had a good year, actually two years now in Toronto. Also he just isnt signed for this year but two more after it. I would be a shame for us to get him, but in good news he would look good with Matt Walker as our top pairing in the AHL!
My thought was that, with Phaneuf and Schenn throwing the body around, Komisarek was redundant. And the good thing of Komisarek over Lilja is that Holmgren can get cap relief by stowing Komisarek in Adirondack.

I'm lukewarm over the idea, but it would be nice to have a Dman who would actually move forwards out of the crease area.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
My thought was that, with Phaneuf and Schenn throwing the body around, Komisarek was redundant. And the good thing of Komisarek over Lilja is that Holmgren can get cap relief by stowing Komisarek in Adirondack.

I'm lukewarm over the idea, but it would be nice to have a Dman who would actually move forwards out of the crease area.
The only problem is Komi can't even get to the front of the net to push people out of there. His skating seems slow and just gets beat badly sometimes you wonder why he is even in the NHL. Komi should not be an option for the Flyers, especially with that contract. I hate to say it about players but man he just sucks.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:11 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Do I have logic? Sometimes I do.. Briere said f.... Montreal I want to play in Philadelphia in 2007.

Ever since that time Briere has been booed by Montreal fans. So you saying Gauthier is going to do what?

Now you are saying what?
Briere did indeed choose us over Montreal. At the time, the Flyers appeared to be a destination that he could win a cup at and we also threw the most money at him.

With Pronger perhaps done for his career, Timonen likely retiring next year, the core of the team all in their young 20s, etc. that no longer looks to be the case. He could very well be amicable to a move. Especially to his hometown. Especially if it is in the best interest of the Flyers (and I think it is).

Sure Montreal fans booed him. He was largely responsible for beating them in the playoffs. You boo any opponent regardless of where they are from. We booed Talbot and Jagr viciously. We hated those two more than Montreal could ever hate Briere. But we welcomed them with open arms.

It would be stupid to think Montreal would do anything different. You always hate your opponent's good / pesky players until they are no longer your opponent. They would cheer vigorously for Briere as soon as he scored that first goal and flashed the fist pump.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Komisarek would become the new whipping boy within weeks of the trade.

I like the inventive proposals and thinking outside the box though.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Komisarek would become the new whipping boy within weeks of the trade.

I like the inventive proposals and thinking outside the box though.
Carter for Kaberle. I'm calling it now.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
If we traded anything of value for Rick Nash, I would be even more upset than the day we traded both Richie and Carter.

If Nash cost 5-6 million (because that's the kind of money a Rick Nash should be making) for 2-3 years then cool. 8 MILLION? FOR THE REST OF HIS CAREER? FOR A 65 POINT PLAYER? Absolute falderal.

"But Nash has never played with a center... but he won the Rocket 7 years ago with 40 goals.. but..but..." blah blah blah. Playing with nobody never stopped Ilya Kovalchuk from putting up 50 goals and 90 points. The crutches people have to use for Rick Nash are pathetic.

If I was given the option to take Rick Nash, his 65 points, and his 8 million cap hit for FREE I would not do it. I do not want 8 million in cap held hostage by a glorified 65 point player. As it is we have goalie holding money hostage until he's 40.
Thanks for the new word.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
Briere did indeed choose us over Montreal. At the time, the Flyers appeared to be a destination that he could win a cup at and we also threw the most money at him.

With Pronger perhaps done for his career, Timonen likely retiring next year, the core of the team all in their young 20s, etc. that no longer looks to be the case. He could very well be amicable to a move. Especially to his hometown. Especially if it is in the best interest of the Flyers (and I think it is).

Sure Montreal fans booed him. He was largely responsible for beating them in the playoffs. You boo any opponent regardless of where they are from. We booed Talbot and Jagr viciously. We hated those two more than Montreal could ever hate Briere. But we welcomed them with open arms.

It would be stupid to think Montreal would do anything different. You always hate your opponent's good / pesky players until they are no longer your opponent. They would cheer vigorously for Briere as soon as he scored that first goal and flashed the fist pump.
You're basing the idea that they would both be fine with moving off of nothing other than the fact that Sylvie "whatever her maiden name is" would be fine with that because her family is from there. Unless you know them personally or had a conversation with them about it, you really don't know if he or she would want to go there. It is also possible that their kids may not want to leave the area where they have lived for the past 4.5 years .

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-15-2012 at 01:12 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Would Read hold more Value right now than JVR?

Read+Carle+2nd for Nash?

Does that even work.... I'd rather keep JVR than Read - I'm a huge fan of Read too... but I'd prefer the size.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

Read+Carle+2nd for Nash?

Does that even work.... I'd rather keep JVR than Read - I'm a huge fan of Read too... but I'd prefer the size.
Not even close, or in the same hemisphere, to what we would have to give up in a trade for Nash.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:

Read+Carle+2nd for Nash?

isn't nash a pretty big guy?

there is no way we should get rid of matt read given his current contract, he will go on to be patrick sharp/justin williams.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Not even close, or in the same hemisphere, to what we would have to give up in a trade for Nash.

Then I don't want Nash - UNLESS - Bob + Carle/MEz + 2nd gets it done.

Edit: I don't like rumours... ****! I like to speculate tho... haha... damn brain won't stop thinking what MAY happen
Edit #2 - Nash & Lebda & FOR Bob + Carle/Mez + 2nd - that would be okay, b/c we WILL need another D man.... altho this doesn't help with the 'stud' finder

Old
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Then I don't want Nash - UNLESS - Bob + Carle/MEz + 2nd gets it done.

Edit: I don't like rumours... ****! I like to speculate tho... haha... damn brain won't stop thinking what MAY happen
Edit #2 - Nash & Lebda & FOR Bob + Carle/Mez + 2nd - that would be okay, b/c we WILL need another D man.... altho this doesn't help with the 'stud' finder
No chance either of those proposals get done. My guess, if there is any chance of this happening, Bob is definitely involved and one of Schenn, Couturier, or JvR is involved, along with probably a pick or another prospect like Gus. They aren't going to have any interest in Carle because he is a UFA and they aren't looking to trade the face of their franchise for a guy that is leaving in two months.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No chance either of those proposals get done. My guess, if there is any chance of this happening, Bob is definitely involved and one of Schenn, Couturier, or JvR is involved, along with probably a pick or another prospect like Gus. They aren't going to have any interest in Carle because he is a UFA and they aren't looking to trade the face of their franchise for a guy that is leaving in two months.
True.

With all the changes this past off-season, I haven't looked too much, yet, into contracts and the like.

I still don't think we pull the trigger on this, if it's an option. Just doesn't make sense to me. Intriguing yes. Rather have a D man. But alas, most everyone else does too.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
John Flyers Fan

I don't want Nash at all. Way overpaid. He's a $5.5 million player making $7.8 mill.

Paid like a top 3 player, when he's more like a top 50 player.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I don't want Nash at all. Way overpaid. He's a $5.5 million player making $7.8 mill.

Paid like a top 3 player, when he's more like a top 50 player.
I think people are really underrating this guy. You can't just look at point totals. The guy has never had anyone even close to good playing on his line.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think people are really underrating this guy. You can't just look at point totals. The guy has never had anyone even close to good playing on his line.
Look more at the minutes/opportunity to produce.

I weigh that heavier than talent around/against.

He's good. He's a first line forward. He's what we want JVR to become, but he's not 7.8m/year.

I don't consider that unless Briere and Bryzgalov's contracts both vanish somehow.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
The only problem is Komi can't even get to the front of the net to push people out of there. His skating seems slow and just gets beat badly sometimes you wonder why he is even in the NHL. Komi should not be an option for the Flyers, especially with that contract. I hate to say it about players but man he just sucks.
Yep, fair enough. I'm guilty of projecting what I want the guy to be. It's amazing, though, how a player can just fall off a cliff ability-wise.