HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres' Adam learning how to deal with failure

Old
02-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Funny that two players we have been expecting the most from who have been demoted to Rochester recently have taken it so poorly. (Kassian and now Adam.)

Not that they didn't deserve it but we can all see there are others who are just as well qualified for a demotion who apparently are untouchable (helps when you own a fat contract I guess....).
the character of the players in the organization is an extension of their coach... the guys who have only known Lindy, have a different attitude then guys who come in from the outside (see Leino, Regehr, Ehrhoff... or in the past Drury, Briere, Grier)

Adam is on the path to being Roy....
Kassian on the path to being Stafford...

yay!

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
unte93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the character of the players in the organization is an extension of their coach... the guys who have only known Lindy, have a different attitude then guys who come in from the outside (see Leino, Regehr, Ehrhoff... or in the past Drury, Briere, Grier)

yay!

spot on

that´s why i want to see a new coach

unte93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Adam has no right to be upset with anyone but himself. If he can't figure out why he's being sent down -- I mean, no goals in 20 games when you're suppose to be creating offense is pretty clear cut -- then he most definitely needs to be sent down to get his head straight and his game in order.
He's been playing fewer minutes than just about everybody. He's been played out of position on the 4th line with McCormick and Ellis.

Of course he wasn't scoring.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
He's been playing fewer minutes than just about everybody. He's been played out of position on the 4th line with McCormick and Ellis.

Of course he wasn't scoring.
And when he wasn't scoring, he wasn't good at anything else. It's easy to see why his minutes went. There are players who get that when they lose their spot, it takes working harder to make a difference and be noticed to get it back. He didn't do it. It is still up to him to use this to his advantage and get himself going. But it is still what he has to do, not the coach or his linemates. Effort is individual and he wasn't giving it.

02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And when he wasn't scoring, he wasn't good at anything else. It's easy to see why his minutes went. There are players who get that when they lose their spot, it takes working harder to make a difference and be noticed to get it back. He didn't do it. It is still up to him to use this to his advantage and get himself going. But it is still what he has to do, not the coach or his linemates. Effort is individual and he wasn't giving it.
That should all make a ton of sense, and I do agree with it. But because Ruff coddles certain players, and gives those certain players a leash with an infinite length, it makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:22 AM
ShaPow

By the way, is Adam playing center in Rochester or left wing?

Old
02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
By the way, is Adam playing center in Rochester or left wing?
Reportedly on Chewy's left upon his return.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
That's a shame. Why is our only current skilled, drafted center that measures over 6 feet tall being converted into a winger?

This organization really makes me scratch my head, far, far, far too often.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
nivek
Rookie User

Quote:
That's a shame. Why is our only current skilled, drafted center that measures over 6 feet tall being converted into a winger?

Look how long it took the team to finally move Ennis back to his natural position.

nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Look how long it took the team to finally move Ennis back to his natural position.
Left wing in Portland, in 2009?

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
nivek
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Left wing in Portland, in 2009?
He was a center in juniors and played some in Portland.

nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

It could be so that he's on a line with someone who has just been on fire lately, as Szczechura has. Or... maybe they've seen his lack of footspeed and attention to defensive detail as impediments to him being an effective center. The LW or C debate with him hasn't gone away.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
they started the game the other way around and then broke up the line

I'm pretty sure Adam played the whole game at center

DixonWard15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
they started the game the other way around and then broke up the line

I'm pretty sure Adam played the whole game at center
Good to know -- I was told differently by someone in attendance.

Who did he finish with?

Old
02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
It took Ruff 108 games to figure that one out.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Adam will be a winger if he makes the NHL. His hockey IQ and skating must improve for him to be able to become a NHL center.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I will apparently be saying this until I'm blue in the face, but Ennis has split time at wing and center at every level he's played and has gone on record as being more comfortable at wing.

Ruff has been a bad coach for most of the past two years, but this one isn't his fault.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I will apparently be saying this until I'm blue in the face, but Ennis has split time at wing and center at every level he's played and has gone on record as being more comfortable at wing.

Ruff has been a bad coach for most of the past two years, but this one isn't his fault.
And the Sabres (Ruff) have been playing a wing or wings at the center position during all of Ennis' 108 games prior to playing center.

It's Ruff's job to put his players in the best position for them succeed. It'd be nice if he did that more often. When he doesn't, he deserves blame.

As for Ennis going on the record, please link it.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

This isn't the quote I'm looking for, but here are his thoughts on the position when they tried him as a pivot back in Portland.

Quote:
"(Buffalo) really wants all of its (forwards) to know how to play different positions," he said. "They told me in juniors that they'd like me to try and learn how to play center, so I tried it for a few games and then went back to wing. But I played center all through training camp this year and have stuck with it here in Portland."

The position change has proved challenging at times for Ennis, who said the technical aspect of faceoffs is one area that he has particularly needed to focus on improving. He also finds himself trailing the play into the offensive zone more as a center, as opposed to primarily leading the rush on the one of the wings.
He had a solid 25 or so games as a center there, but after a 10 game pointless streak, got shifted back to the wing.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Good to know -- I was told differently by someone in attendance.

Who did he finish with?
I was in attendance too, I can't quite remember who Adam was centering after they juggled the lines but they have been experimenting with Szczechura on the wing lately and have been getting good results:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...aul-Szczechura

DixonWard15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Slapshot85

I don't mind the demotion, but this is another reason why the organization needs to shake things up at the top.

Can we really just expect players to play well with others, whatever the skill level and strengths/weaknesses they have? Does changing the ice time play a role? Is chemistry really overrated? The line changing madness of Lindy continues to drive me crazy. Was Vanek-Adam-Pommers a fluke at the start of the year? The breakup of that line was a bit puzzling to me.

Also, what is with the obsession in getting our forwards to play in different positions? Let's get guys who have the talent to play their positions well, and develop their game as much as we can.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

yay!
seriously...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:38 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
I don't mind the demotion, but this is another reason why the organization needs to shake things up at the top.

Can we really just expect players to play well with others, whatever the skill level and strengths/weaknesses they have? Does changing the ice time play a role? Is chemistry really overrated? The line changing madness of Lindy continues to drive me crazy. Was Vanek-Adam-Pommers a fluke at the start of the year? The breakup of that line was a bit puzzling to me.

Also, what is with the obsession in getting our forwards to play in different positions? Let's get guys who have the talent to play their positions well, and develop their game as much as we can.
the 1st part of this is dead on. the 2nd part is a result of some unforeseen events (hecht being injured all the time which forced others to be centers, leino sucking hard at center, adam sucking there eventually, ennis experiment, etc). but yeah, i have no clue what the **** goes through lindy's head when he makes line changes. hey, leino roy and pominville were a good line when vanek went down. oh vanek's back. i could put him with ennis and stafford and reunite the gerbe-goose-kaleta line that was effective as an energy line. no, that's dumb. let's put vanek with roy even though that hasn't worked much this year and then put leino with gaustad and kaleta. cause all forwards in the system are like interchangeable parts!

kirby11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:42 AM
detroitfan83

He should have stayed in Rochester. He was in the NHL too early regardless how well he performed in training camp and the tournament.

He was with the sabres because our centers suck. sorry to be brutally honest.

detroitfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Couple of things. Ennis isn't a natural center. He was a shoot first player (usually winger) in Junior but has slowly transitioned into more of a playmaker at the pro ranks. His offensive game right now is better suited down the middle but if he ever decided to start shooting like he used to, he will be better on the wing by far.

Someone on here apparently had a discussion about Adam with Kevin Devine a summer or two ago and the consensus then was that Adam would be much more successful at wing than at center. And seriously people, it's really really hard to argue with that. People around here didn't want Jeff Carter because he wasn't a playmaking center. Well Luke Adam is a much slower, slightly smaller, much worse defensively, less talented version of Jeff Carter. He got thrown into a situation he shouldn't have been in to start the season if this organization had any sort of center depth. I think Regier and Ruff got sucked into the Jason Pominville trap where he can mesh well with just about anyone and thought they could ride it until the center disaster fixed itself. My hope that Adam at center was just to see what could happen and he will be back with the team next year as a winger with some real centers on the roster. I don't think he needs to be on the roster for the rest of the year, let him help the Amerks secure a playoff spot.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote