HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Approaching: Defender?

Old
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
The difference is, Carle has lots of turnovers and isn't very good at defense either. That's a crappy combination. Chara and Doughty can turn it over and then fix it. Carle turns it over and can't fix it.

Edit: For instance, a few times this season Timonen has turned it over, and then neutralized the opposition's chance to score. Carle doesn't really do that.

02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
Pred fans might think that Suter is under appreciated due to Weber. It would not be the first time a fan base has been wrong about something. All I know is that right now, one of them is playing with a rookie that will be a scrub sixth defenseman for his entire career if he even ends up making it in the NHL full time while the other is playing with Shea freaking Weber and their stats are still very very similar. Take it for what it is worth.

Both are minimally physical defensemen who tend towards offense and need to have a defensively responsible partner. They are quite similar.
Suter is pretty damn impressive defensively whenever I watch Nashville. He is one of the premier shutdown dmen in the league, I'd say. He is a lot closer to Lidström in the way he defends than he is to Carle. He's got a great stickwork, there's not much to complain about his skating technique, and his positioning is perhaps second only to Lidström's in the league. In a one-on-one situation, there are not that many defenders I would rather have out there than Suter.

Weber might be the defenseman that Nashville will find it hardest to replace if they both end up leaving, however, his skill sets are quite rare after all.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Gert B Frobe

The only thing similar about Carle and Suter is their skating and passing (which are the only two things Carle is good at). Other than that - Suter is far superior defensively, doesn't turn the puck over nearly as much, and has a good shot.

Yeah there really isn't any similarity at all between the two now that I think about it.

Hair color?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
The only thing similar about Carle and Suter is their skating and passing (which are the only two things Carle is good at). Other than that - Suter is far superior defensively, doesn't turn the puck over nearly as much, and has a good shot.

Yeah there really isn't any similarity at all between the two now that I think about it.

Hair color?
Not even suggesting Carle is a better player or even in same category but he has about 40 more blocked shots and has turned the puck over on 7 times less than Suter this season.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Carle's wrists have gotten progressively weaker the longer he's been married.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
bryzgalovsky*

luke schenn leads defensemen in the nhl in hits with 181 (closest flyer is meszaros with only 132)

he would have the 3rd most blocked shots (with 86) on the flyers behind carle (112) and timonen (102)

he would be 2nd in takeaways (with 24) behind braydon coburn (25)

however he would be in second place in giveaways (with 34) behind matt carle (37)

keep in mind that he averages 16:17 minutes per game compared to matt carle (23:01), coburn (21:46), and timonen (21:41)

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
luke schenn leads defensemen in the nhl in hits with 181 (closest flyer is meszaros with only 132)

he would have the 3rd most blocked shots (with 86) on the flyers behind carle (112) and timonen (102)

he would be 2nd in takeaways (with 24) behind braydon coburn (25)

however he would be in second place in giveaways (with 34) behind matt carle (37)

keep in mind that he averages 16:17 minutes per game compared to matt carle (23:01), coburn (21:46), and timonen (21:41)
I think he is exactly the type of dman this team needs. The fact that he could be had and we have his brother just means it makes too much sense! Haha we'll see I love our youn forward depth though......

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
I think he is exactly the type of dman this team needs. The fact that he could be had and we have his brother just means it makes too much sense! Haha we'll see I love our youn forward depth though......
It does, but we're not interested in overpayment.

Frankly, I consider JVR a gross overpayment. Voracek as well. I once thought Read was a good option, but he's too valuable moving forward.

I think we're talking Simmonds+pick at most.

I'd do a 1st+3rd/solid prospect in a freaking heartbeat.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
bryzgalovsky*

i wouldn't even give up simmonds for him

i would not give up:

giroux, schenn, hartnell, read, couturier, simmonds, voracek, talbot, or any defenseman since that would be pointless

Old
02-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

i would not give up:

giroux, schenn, hartnell, read, couturier, simmonds, voracek, talbot, or any defenseman since that would be pointless
Who are you giving up for him then??

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

i would not give up:

I find it extremely disturbing that vanRiemsdyk is not on your list.

Either way, it would be most ideal to move that 1st round pick (even if we have to add) to acquire a young defensemen like Luke Schenn.

Unfortunately I don't think Burke is interested in any package that involves a 1st round pick unless it also involves a forward we're not giving up.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Who are you giving up for him then??
lots of picks and prospects and/or a goalie

Old
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I find it extremely disturbing that vanRiemsdyk is not on your list.

Either way, it would be most ideal to move that 1st round pick (even if we have to add) to acquire a young defensemen like Luke Schenn.

Unfortunately I don't think Burke is interested in any package that involves a 1st round pick unless it also involves a forward we're not giving up.
van riemsdyk will go on to become a 1st liner

but he is the player every team wants so if we make any trade at all i think he will be involved somehow

Old
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
van riemsdyk will go on to become a 1st liner

but he is the player every team wants so if we make any trade at all i think he will be involved somehow
JVR's speed at his size is what makes him an absolutely dynamic and unique player going forward. Of course he has skills, but he uses his size effectively and, when healthy, he can force himself in position just before he streaks past everyone else.

We will regret trading him more than trading anyone on this team minus Couturier and Giroux.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
lots of picks and prospects and/or a goalie
Burke is looking for help now and into the future. Draft picks and prospects do not satisfy that need. He won't be had for that. They need a top 6 winger with size and grit. JVR or Simmonds probably are the two most logical choices that would have to be traded or we won't get Schenn.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:37 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Burke is looking for help now and into the future. Draft picks and prospects do not satisfy that need. He won't be had for that. They need a top 6 winger with size and grit. JVR or Simmonds probably are the two most logical choices that would have to be traded or we won't get Schenn.
yeah unless there is a third team involved

but the problem is i don't think any trade will be made because everyone wants to get their dirty greedy hands on all of our rookies and they can go screw off if they think we're giving them up

Old
02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
yeah unless there is a third team involved

but the problem is i don't think any trade will be made because everyone wants to get their dirty greedy hands on all of our rookies and they can go screw off if they think we're giving them up
These just do not happen in the NHL since the lockout. I hate when people propose three team deals. When was the last time one was even executed?

Well are you okay moving our first rounder this year for a defenseman? They price at the deadline will probably be crazy and we might have to fork it over to acquire a defenseman that isn't even worth it?

What I am basically asking is what would you do if you were Homer.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
These just do not happen in the NHL since the lockout. I hate when people propose three team deals. When was the last time one was even executed?

Well are you okay moving our first rounder this year for a defenseman? They price at the deadline will probably be crazy and we might have to fork it over to acquire a defenseman that isn't even worth it?

What I am basically asking is what would you do if you were Homer.
yeah i would give up all of our picks for next year, we have no need for draft picks right now

we have enough young guys on the team that even when people like jagr, briere, and hartnell leave/retire we still have a decent team so we don't need to worry about drafting forwards for the next 2 or 3 years really

only thing we could use draft picks for is a goalie or a defenseman and since they take forever to develop it makes more sense to trade for them

Old
02-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
yeah i would give up all of our picks for next year, we have no need for draft picks right now

we have enough young guys on the team that even when people like jagr, briere, and hartnell leave/retire we still have a decent team so we don't need to worry about drafting forwards for the next 2 or 3 years really

only thing we could use draft picks for is a goalie or a defenseman and since they take forever to develop it makes more sense to trade for them
I agree with the forwards part of your post.

The Flyers need to start developing young Dman though to save money on the cap. If we do decide to chase Suter in the off season or another big name free agent we will need ELC to help off set the big salaries we have. If we could acquire a grossman or that type of defender for a 2nd and a prospect, I would do it in a heartbeat. I just don't know what the price of these players will be at the deadline though. But I know Burke will not trade Schenn for picks or prospects, so we have to deal a forward.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:00 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
I agree with the forwards part of your post.

The Flyers need to start developing young Dman though to save money on the cap. If we do decide to chase Suter in the off season or another big name free agent we will need ELC to help off set the big salaries we have. If we could acquire a grossman or that type of defender for a 2nd and a prospect, I would do it in a heartbeat. I just don't know what the price of these players will be at the deadline though. But I know Burke will not trade Schenn for picks or prospects, so we have to deal a forward.
that's the problem

that's why i think holmgren will just call it a year and wait until the offseason to get a defenseman rather than make any trade

in all honesty the organization probably thought this year was going to a bad one to begin with, so i don't feel like holmgren is as desperate for a trade as we (fans) are

Old
02-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Kaktus*

I bet Burke is looking for a dance partner after yesterdays game..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Although he's having an off season and I want no part of him, you can count Zidlicky off the market. Waived his NTC to the Devils.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Kaktus*

How about we trade Timonen to Boston for Hamilton and 1st?
Boston D looked like poop yesterday against NY Rangers.
Hamilton plus 1st is similar what Bruins trade for a bum like Kaberle.

If we do this deal we have a real shot and money to go after Suter this summer and would have.

Suter Coburn
Mesz Hamilton
Bourdon XXXX

and we would draft twic ein 1st round. Maybe would be able to trade up to get Griffin.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:26 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Zidlicky (sp) waives NTC to go to Devils.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387874

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:27 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Zidlicky (sp) waives NTC to go to Devils.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387874
tbh, I think he's useless

terrible defensively

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote