HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

2/14/12 - 7:00PM EDT - Ottawa vs Tampa Bay

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten88Nineteen View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they weren't on the ice at the same time after that. If anything, Downie is usually too willing to go into fights that he might have a hard time with. I can't see him dodging that one, especially knowing he's always even more pissed when something is happening to St Louis.

Also, Neil plays like that vs everyone. He may turtle when he's outmatched in a fight, but it's not like he'll stop gooning it up just because he's playing Boston or something.
If he did that against Boston they'd have someone out there after him the next time he hit the ice, and a lot of other teams would for that matter. However, that would be like suggesting he'd start getting tough with Bergeron and proceed to make fun of Lucic's condition. That stuff doesn't fly with the Bruins, and it shouldn't no matter what team you are. I don't think Neil would do that against them.

And before anyone starts calling me a bruins fanboy and all that, I'm simply using them as an example because they are a tough team.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Pitiful.

SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL

Old
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Ten88Nineteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
If he did that against Boston they'd have someone out there after him the next time he hit the ice, and a lot of other teams would for that matter. However, that would be like suggesting he'd start getting tough with Bergeron and proceed to make fun of Lucic's condition. That stuff doesn't fly with the Bruins, and it shouldn't no matter what team you are. I don't think Neil would do that against them.

And before anyone starts calling me a bruins fanboy and all that, I'm simply using them as an example because they are a tough team.
Yeah, well no team courts as many goons, fighters and 'tough' players as Boston does. It's much easier to retaliate or whatever if you have a couple brutes on every line.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
MrMcGz

Point is Neil went after the smallest dude on the ice up 3-0. Then got into a ***** fest with Downie. Lack of respect for the team? Probably. But trying to intimidate MSL is not adding to his credibility as a stand up fighter. If he had any balls and wanted to make a statement at that point he should've challenged Malone or Downie or even Kubina. Basically anybody his own size. Especially Downie if he's still crying about a preseason incident years ago. C'mon man.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Yeah, well no team courts as many goons, fighters and 'tough' players as Boston does. It's much easier to retaliate or whatever if you have a couple brutes on every line.
The definition of "goon" here is very different from most other places. Those knuckledraggers won the cup last year, by the way.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
Point is Neil went after the smallest dude on the ice up 3-0. Then got into a ***** fest with Downie. Lack of respect for the team? Probably. But trying to intimidate MSL is not adding to his credibility as a stand up fighter. If he had any balls and wanted to make a statement at that point he should've challenged Malone or Downie or even Kubina. Basically anybody his own size. Especially Downie if he's still crying about a preseason incident years ago. C'mon man.
Don't get me wrong, I HATE Chris Neil. I would love to see his stupid baby face get smashed. I also think picking on Marty and making fun of Downie's disability is gutless. That said, he does it because he can. If we're going to be a team that lays down and tolerates stuff like this, so be it. But you'd better have some thick skin.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Ten88Nineteen

Quote:
The definition of "goon" here is very different from most other places. Those knuckledraggers won the cup last year, by the way.
Well, when you put it that way you do sound like a Bruins fanboy. Seriously though, historically plenty of goon squad teams have won the cup - I don't see how last year was any different.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Well, when you put it that way you do sound like a Bruins fanboy. Seriously though, historically plenty of goon squad teams have won the cup - I don't see how last year was any different.
I view a goon as someone who's sole purpose in hockey is pretty much to fight or "goon it up" against the opposing team. Guys like Francis Lessard, Jon Mirasty, Jeremy Yablonski etc. I'd even understand a case for players such as Parros, McGrattan, Kassian, and Hordichuk, players like that. We obviously just have different definitions of the word.

The Bruins simply don't have anyone that one dimensional. They have a lot of guys who can fight and play the game as well. Anyways, I didn't intend to sidetrack the thread into a debate about whether the Bruins are goons or not. I just wanted to use them as an example because they are known for their toughness.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
WTF are you talking about?

Neil came into the scrum because Stlouis was in Karlsson's face. That's his job, it to protect the team's best players and he did his job.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post

Neil came into the scrum because Stlouis was in Karlsson's face. That's his job, it to protect the team's best players and he did his job.
I understand sticking up for your players (and especially rookie all-stars), but to suggest that what Neil did was necessary is pretty funny.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Tough loss. I just don't see how this group would be good enough to go far if they made the playoffs. Maybe it's best to be sellers and get a higher draft selection. Get ready for next year. A solid free agency could turn this team around. I think we will be back.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Hockeyfan02

Well that was predictable. Very disappointing "effort" tonight.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
We're going to be in the running for a top 5 draft pick and a shot at #1...

That's the only positive I take out of this.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
MrMcGz

Quote:

Marty's a killer, watch out.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:50 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
I understand sticking up for your players (and especially rookie all-stars), but to suggest that what Neil did was necessary is pretty funny.
It was necessary because it's Karlsson, and he's our best player. His teammates stand up for him. That's their job.

In the same vein, someone on the Bolts really should have stood up for St-Louis there. It's unfortunate that nobody did. I really like and respect MSL, and he really shouldn't have to fight that battle. I think we're in agreement on that point.

With that said, Neil's not the one who slew-footed another player in this game, St-Louis is. That's a much more dangerous play than anything Neil or any other Senator may have done in this game.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Ten88Nineteen

Quote:
I view a goon as someone who's sole purpose in hockey is pretty much to fight or "goon it up" against the opposing team. Guys like Francis Lessard, Jon Mirasty, Jeremy Yablonski etc. I'd even understand a case for players such as Parros, McGrattan, Kassian, and Hordichuk, players like that. We obviously just have different definitions of the word.

The Bruins simply don't have anyone that one dimensional. They have a lot of guys who can fight and play the game as well. Anyways, I didn't intend to sidetrack the thread into a debate about whether the Bruins are goons or not. I just wanted to use them as an example because they are known for their toughness.
Yeah, you're right. I just ask myself where a player's preference lies, personally. Despite the fact that they can score, players like Marchand and Lucic clearly favor screwing with other players more than anything when they're on the ice. To me, they're goons and will be as long as they're still cheap shotting everyone both during play and after the whistle.

Most of the enforcer types out there I have a hard time talking about so negatively. You have a lot of these fighters like Konopka or Parros who are clearly decent guys and not out there to do much other than fight and inspire their team. When I'm calling someone a goon it has a negative connotation, so I'm thinking guys who are out to try and bully, annoy and hurt opposing players.

Quote:

Thanks, that just made it even more hilarious.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Comely

Quote:
Marty's a killer, watch out.
He does actually have 2 pounds on Karlsson so its not a size mismatch for him for a change.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

If you're going to troll Tampa Bay in the Tampa Bay forum, it's probably a good idea to stay out of the Tampa Bay forum altogether and not troll at all, okay?

Thanks!

Old
02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
MrMcGz

Was wondering where my post went. Thanks moo!

Old
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Thank you Moo!

Also, did anyone actually expect us to win this one? Since when did we EVER play the Sens well? They dominate us year in and year out. I chalked this one up to a loss already and didn't even bother watching. Gee seems I was right. Pretty pathetic that the team can't bother to put up a good effort when internet nobodies know they're not going to.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
AllAbout813

Guess I wont bother watching the Sun replay tonight with this one. Thank God I went out for dinner this VDay.

Yes, I think it is definitely sell time, if for whatever reason they weren't thinking that before tonight then hopefully this clears that up.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:49 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

lol cause Marty is such a threat in a mouthy 19 year olds face

Old
02-15-2012, 12:51 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
You are talking about how you wish there was someone to stand up for st.louis. Neil was standing up for Karlsson. Ironic?

Just sayin'.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
You are talking about how you wish there was someone to stand up for st.louis. Neil was standing up for Karlsson. Ironic?

Just sayin'.
St. Louis is a respected forward in the league that hasn't thrown mitts in his career, Neil is a jackass that runs his mouth a lot. Big difference champ.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Oh well, season over for sure now