HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 10:09 PM
  #251
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
I agree that from a skillset standpoint and cap hit standpoint, Carter makes more sense but for those advocating for Carter, aren't you turned off by the term? Or are we making the assumption that he would be movable in 5-7 years time?

I am nervous about making either move to be honest. I want to tinker minimally this year and hopefully make a deep playoff run and learn from that who can stand the heat and who can't. Then this offseason or next year, make the major move(s) to become a contender ala Blackhawks (Hossa). However, the more the season progresses, the more I am tempted to take the shot this year.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
  #252
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan
 
AdamBanks99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
@dolph not many people were saying no to the idea of dubinsky+ for ryan earlier in the year.

AdamBanks99 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:14 PM
  #253
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I agree that from a skillset standpoint and cap hit standpoint, Carter makes more sense but for those advocating for Carter, aren't you turned off by the term? Or are we making the assumption that he would be movable in 5-7 years time?

I am nervous about making either move to be honest. I want to tinker minimally this year and hopefully make a deep playoff run and learn from that who can stand the heat and who can't. Then this offseason or next year, make the major move(s) to become a contender ala Blackhawks (Hossa). However, the more the season progresses, the more I am tempted to take the shot this year.
I'm turned off by his attitude. I know it's been beaten to death but the guy just doesn't seem like he will ever get over the Philly deal. I would say LA is the only team that should risk taking on Carter due to the fact his BFF is there. Granted it was alleged that those two were traded because they spent way too much time out on the town, but they also played better. CBJ could probably get Bernier for Carter and still trade Nash or just keep him.

If I had to choose between Nash and Carter I'd take Nash 10 out of 10 times. Even with his bloated contract, at least he's not bitter.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:14 PM
  #254
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 500
My list of players, from optimal to least optimal option:

Parise
Ryan
Carter
Nash

Jabroni is online now  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:17 PM
  #255
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan
 
AdamBanks99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
My list of players, from optimal to least optimal option:

Parise
Ryan
Carter
Nash
qft.

AdamBanks99 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
  #256
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I'm turned off by his attitude. I know it's been beaten to death but the guy just doesn't seem like he will ever get over the Philly deal. I would say LA is the only team that should risk taking on Carter due to the fact his BFF is there. Granted it was alleged that those two were traded because they spent way too much time out on the town, but they also played better. CBJ could probably get Bernier for Carter and still trade Nash or just keep him.

If I had to choose between Nash and Carter I'd take Nash 10 out of 10 times. Even with his bloated contract, at least he's not bitter.
Certainly his character should be questioned a little bit. You wish a player would get over a trade more quickly but going from a playoff contender to lottery team is tough to stomach. It may have been different if he were traded to another Cup contender.

I do have a major problem with the fact that he only has SEVEN hits, though.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:32 PM
  #257
DM23BK30
Registered User
 
DM23BK30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Can we win one cup before we start thinking about a dynasty? I'm all for getting Nash if we shed serious salary, but I'm really not too thrilled with trading Kreider.
Who said anything about a dynasty?

DM23BK30 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
  #258
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,979
vCash: 500
If Dubinsky is traded for a player who doesn't buy into the team philosophy or is going to stick out like a sore thumb a la Wolski, then it's better off not making that trade at all. I have serious concerns about how Carter or Nash would fit into the locker room. It's a huge risk. The Rangers are a sum of their parts and disrupting that chemistry by adding someone who has a hard time adjusting to the team can be detrimental.

As a hypothetical, I would definitely trade Dubinsky for someone like Backes. He's a similar player to Dubinsky, is a good leader and teammate, and has a solid work ethic. I don't think Backes would have a hard time fitting in this locker room at all. But players like that are not available, and instead the players on the market are the ones that have had their leadership questioned (Nash) and character issues (Carter). Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
  #259
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
SORRY even if they gave him to us we shouldn't take him. His cap hit is extremely prohibitive considering we have 3 guys eating up a lot of our cap and a ton of developing young players that will need to get paid in two or 3 years where that hit will kill our team. NOOOO. Plus even if the cap hit were half as much I STILL wouldn't take the overrated Steve Nash. Let some dumbass team like Toronto have him. Or Boston even.


Last edited by MidnightRanger: 02-14-2012 at 10:56 PM.
MidnightRanger is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
  #260
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much
 
LotsOfHags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
How about we keep the team how it is and maybe add Ryan Smyth for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and Wolski as a salary dump?

The way this team plays now is great. Imagine Kreider in this lineup. I understand in the "future" we will need to get rid of one of our "core" guys to stay under the cap. The way I see it now is leave the team alone and "maybe" add a veteran LW (aka Smyth).

LotsOfHags is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:42 PM
  #261
Krams
what a time
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Shawinigan
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaporNY View Post
How about we keep the team how it is and maybe add Ryan Smyth for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and Wolski as a salary dump?

The way this team plays now is great. Imagine Kreider in this lineup. I understand in the "future" we will need to get rid of one of our "core" guys to stay under the cap. The way I see it now is leave the team alone and "maybe" add a veteran LW (aka Smyth).
This. The Rangers have a chance to be very good for very long. We're a young team and we're only getting better. Add a piece for the playoff run, sure. But don't trade the core to add Nash. Let Kreider develop, see some action later this year. Perhaps add in Parise in the offseason... could you imagine how awesome we could be over the next few seasons?

Krams is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
  #262
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Cupcake schedule.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,104
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaporNY View Post
How about we keep the team how it is and maybe add Ryan Smyth for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and Wolski as a salary dump?

The way this team plays now is great. Imagine Kreider in this lineup. I understand in the "future" we will need to get rid of one of our "core" guys to stay under the cap. The way I see it now is leave the team alone and "maybe" add a veteran LW (aka Smyth).
Because Ryan Smyth said he wants to remain in EDM.

Gardner McKay is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:50 PM
  #263
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much
 
LotsOfHags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Because Ryan Smyth said he wants to remain in EDM.
Sorry, wasn't updated with this information. Then just keep the team the way it is. I don't want to lose any core for a guy who might not even fit the "system".

LotsOfHags is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
  #264
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
This. The Rangers have a chance to be very good for very long. We're a young team and we're only getting better. Add a piece for the playoff run, sure. But don't trade the core to add Nash. Let Kreider develop, see some action later this year. Perhaps add in Parise in the offseason... could you imagine how awesome we could be over the next few seasons?
Yup. The gate is just about to open for this team. lol No need making such an enormous gamble when we are so close.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
  #265
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAvery16 View Post
We are a team of home grown guys who buy into Torts system. Sather would be nuts to bring in a star and risk disrupting the chemistry.
We have home grown players, the entire team isn't home grown. Our best offensive player was a free agent pick up. our leading GWG scorer was a free agent pickup. our backup goalie is a free agent pickup. Prust, boyle, fedotenko, bickel, rupp, eminger, stralman were all free agents or trades.

lets not make this out to be an ENTIRE team of home grown players. most of our core are home grown, and subtracting Brandon Dubinsky and adding in Jeff Carter or Rick Nash isn't going to change it much if at all.

i think its a pretty foolish way of looking at things...ppl think 1 guy is going to change everything. i wholeheartedly disagree, in fact i think its FAR more likely the team would change HIM.

Ever noticed Gabby playing WAY more defensively the last year? Think Torts, Cally, and the rest arent a reason why?

Only reason most of us do not want Nash is his contract coupled with the assets required to get him.

Would I do Nash for Dubi, Wolski, McIlrath, and like 2 # 1 draft picks? You damn right I would.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:02 AM
  #266
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
people act as if the reason the Rangers are so good this year is because of Brandon Dubinsky or Chris Kreider.

It isn't. Its because of our goalie, girardi, mcd, mdz, gabby, cally, richards, and then to a lesser degree stepan, anisimov, and hagelin.

Dubi isnt even on our top 6, nor SHOULD he be. Frankly there are times i think he should be playing on the 4th line.

Brandon Dubinsky should not stop this team from getting Rick Nash or Jeff Carter.

Kreider is a bluechipper, no doubts. If Nash didnt have the cap hit he did id be all for trading him as part of the deal, but nash DOES have that cap hit, and as such, you cant move one of your young, cheap, possibly explosive offensive players, for a guy like Nash. Because youre going to need the cheap talent to fill in the bottom lines going forward.

Nash makes 7.8 mil.

Subtract Dubi, Wolski, and Fedotenko, add in Nash and Kreider...it fits.

Problem is, you gotta re-sign McDonagh, Stepan and MDZ.


Carter>Nash

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:28 AM
  #267
Machinehead
Moderator
Because Rongos
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Land of no Defense
Country: United States
Posts: 44,903
vCash: 50
I think we'll manage to get by without Rick Nash's 18 goals. Callahan has 23 at half the price. Pass.

Machinehead is online now  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:35 AM
  #268
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
If Dubinsky is traded for a player who doesn't buy into the team philosophy or is going to stick out like a sore thumb a la Wolski, then it's better off not making that trade at all. I have serious concerns about how Carter or Nash would fit into the locker room. It's a huge risk. The Rangers are a sum of their parts and disrupting that chemistry by adding someone who has a hard time adjusting to the team can be detrimental.

As a hypothetical, I would definitely trade Dubinsky for someone like Backes. He's a similar player to Dubinsky, is a good leader and teammate, and has a solid work ethic. I don't think Backes would have a hard time fitting in this locker room at all. But players like that are not available, and instead the players on the market are the ones that have had their leadership questioned (Nash) and character issues (Carter). Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
Backes also plays a physical game like Dubinsky something Carter and Nash doesnt do especially Nash who has the size.. hed be the Tom Poti whipping boy of forwards...id also deal Dubinsky for Vinny L from Bolts although has a long contract he has won something Carter or Nash never have..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 12:49 AM
  #269
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
I've posted it everywhere, keep Carter as far away from this team as possible.

Like Ohio.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:04 AM
  #270
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I think we'll manage to get by without Rick Nash's 18 goals. Callahan has 23 at half the price. Pass.
Nash is having a down season. But, hypothetically, if you replace Dubinskys 6 goals and 25 points with say 20/20 at this point...how much better would the Rangers be than they are now? 84? 85? 86 points?

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:10 AM
  #271
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
I think, if the Rangers can pick up Nash w/o giving up any of:
Girardi
Kreider
MCD
MDZ
Stepan
Callahan
Henrik
Gabby
Richards
Staal
or Hagelin

I'd do it.

So, for example....Wolski, Sauer, Dubinsky, Mcilrath, and a first for Nash...do it.

Hell, bring in Kreider this season after BC is done and go with something like...


AA - Stepan - Gabby
Nash - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Mitchell - Hagelin
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
Fedotenko

The speed, size, and skill of that team would be an utter nightmare to try to defend against.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:14 AM
  #272
dumpin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Guys if it aint broke dont fix it.

Dont mess with team chemistry, and at all cost do not mortgage the future. I like the pieces we have coming down the line.

dumpin is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:18 AM
  #273
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpin View Post
Guys if it aint broke dont fix it.

Dont mess with team chemistry, and at all cost do not mortgage the future. I like the pieces we have coming down the line.
i just dont get this argument.

Boston made what, 3? 4 trades before the deadline? including a big one for Kaberle?

Pittsburgh made a few big deals (Getting Kunitz if i recall?)

I agree you dont mortgage the future, but you have to identify where the Rangers problems are. You know how many chances you get to win a stanley cup in a lifetime? Rangers right now are on pace to seriously make a run for it this year. I certainly dont want to sacrifice the future for a run, but im not going to be scared to make a deal just because everything is going well right now.

1 3 games losing streak and 95% of this board will be searching google for cyanide capsules.

be proactive. identify the holes. objectively review the costs. if they are acceptable, pull the trigger. if not, don;'t.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 01:55 AM
  #274
dumpin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
"but you have to identify where the Rangers problems are"

What problems? They lead the conference by what 9 points , excellent team chemistry, goaltending, system, and coaching. Would it be nice to add another scorer? Sure but at what cost... cap wise, and prospect wise..

I would rather wait and pick up someone like Parise after the season. They can win now with what they have, and can only get better as some of the kids develop.

I dont want to lose a Dubi, McI, or a Krieder for a player that may or may not mesh with the team. See Wade Redden, Gomez, or Drury.

This years team has far exceeded most of our expectations, right? I have been a Ranger fan since 1960 so I have learned to be patient.

dumpin is offline  
Old
02-15-2012, 02:31 AM
  #275
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,667
vCash: 500
On the subject of Carter--I'd pass.

He seems to pout too much when things don't go his way and his contract is way too big and long to put up with that. He's not really a playoff or big game player.

eco's bones is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.