HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zenon Konopka has same # fights as entire Leaf team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
  #76
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Holy crap some of you guys in this thread are so dumb and not getting the meaning of the OP. The OP is saying one player has more more fighting majors than our entire team!! And it shows our team is soft and we do not stick up for each other. If you think there has not been atleast a dozen times where we had to stick up for each other and we did not then your a dummy who does not understand hockey. No one is talking about having a goon but a better balance of team toughness. God some of you guys are such little girls and are afraid of physical hockey on the leafs and it makes me sick. We need more team toughness, speed only takes you so far and then you need some grit.

And for the morons who think you don't need to fight check this out. Top teams in fighting compared to the bottom teams.
1 New York Rangers 46
2 Boston Bruins42
3 Philadelphia Flyers 42
4 Columbus Blue Jackets39
5 Ottawa Senators 37
6 Vancouver Canucks 33
7 Anaheim Ducks 29
8 New Jersey Devils 28

Bottom Teams

23 Toronto Maple Leafs 18
24 Nashville Predators 16
25 New York Islanders 15
26 Carolina Hurricanes 14
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 14
28 Detroit Red Wings 12
29 Montreal Canadiens 12
30 Phoenix Coyotes 12

Most of the top teams in fighting are the crappy teams that aren't in a playoff position right? You guys are so stupid!

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
  #77
LaPlante94
Registered User
 
LaPlante94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Niagara Falls ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Wasn't there a lot of people on here who wanted the guy? Also he might have more fights then our team but Brown dummied him if i'm remembering correctly.

LaPlante94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:58 PM
  #78
LaPlante94
Registered User
 
LaPlante94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Niagara Falls ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
Holy crap some of you guys in this thread are so dumb and not getting the meaning of the OP. The OP is saying one player has more more fighting majors than our entire team!! And it shows our team is soft and we do not stick up for each other. If you think there has not been atleast a dozen times where we had to stick up for each other and we did not then your a dummy who does not understand hockey. No one is talking about having a goon but a better balance of team toughness. God some of you guys are such little girls and are afraid of physical hockey on the leafs and it makes me sick. We need more team toughness, speed only takes you so far and then you need some grit.

And for the morons who think you don't need to fight check this out. Top teams in fighting compared to the bottom teams.
1 New York Rangers 46
2 Boston Bruins42
3 Philadelphia Flyers 42
4 Columbus Blue Jackets39
5 Ottawa Senators 37
6 Vancouver Canucks 33
7 Anaheim Ducks 29
8 New Jersey Devils 28

Bottom Teams

23 Toronto Maple Leafs 18
24 Nashville Predators 16
25 New York Islanders 15
26 Carolina Hurricanes 14
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 14
28 Detroit Red Wings 12
29 Montreal Canadiens 12
30 Phoenix Coyotes 12

Most of the top teams in fighting are the crappy teams that aren't in a playoff position right? You guys are so stupid!
A lot of the bottom teams are also in the playoffs right?

LaPlante94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:00 PM
  #79
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlante94 View Post
A lot of the bottom teams are also in the playoffs right?
No they are not... that was the correlation I was trying to make hahah. Thank you

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
  #80
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
No they are not... that was the correlation I was trying to make hahah. Thank you
The distribution looks pretty random. Some good teams fight and some don't. Meathead.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:17 AM
  #81
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil
 
MajorityRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
Holy crap some of you guys in this thread are so dumb and not getting the meaning of the OP. The OP is saying one player has more more fighting majors than our entire team!! And it shows our team is soft and we do not stick up for each other. If you think there has not been atleast a dozen times where we had to stick up for each other and we did not then your a dummy who does not understand hockey. No one is talking about having a goon but a better balance of team toughness. God some of you guys are such little girls and are afraid of physical hockey on the leafs and it makes me sick. We need more team toughness, speed only takes you so far and then you need some grit.

And for the morons who think you don't need to fight check this out. Top teams in fighting compared to the bottom teams.
1 New York Rangers 46
2 Boston Bruins42
3 Philadelphia Flyers 42
4 Columbus Blue Jackets39
5 Ottawa Senators 37
6 Vancouver Canucks 33
7 Anaheim Ducks 29
8 New Jersey Devils 28

Bottom Teams

23 Toronto Maple Leafs 18
24 Nashville Predators 16
25 New York Islanders 15
26 Carolina Hurricanes 14
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 14
28 Detroit Red Wings 12
29 Montreal Canadiens 12
30 Phoenix Coyotes 12

Most of the top teams in fighting are the crappy teams that aren't in a playoff position right? You guys are so stupid!
I don't really see the correlation.

2 of the top fighting teams are also 2 of the worst teams in the league.
Half of the bottom teams in fighting are presently in a playoff spot.

I think you failed.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:23 AM
  #82
bleeney
Registered User
 
bleeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
I don't really see the correlation.

2 of the top fighting teams are also 2 of the worst teams in the league.
Half of the bottom teams in fighting are presently in a playoff spot.

I think you failed.
I think he made his point quite well.

Look at the correlation between top 8/bottom 8 in fighting majors and where teams rank in the standings within our conference. These are the teams we play the bulk of our games against, and if we do make the playoffs, these are the teams we'll face.

Top 8 in fighting majors (eastern conference teams only):

1 New York Rangers 46 (77 points, 1st place)
2 Boston Bruins 42 (70 points, 2nd place)
3 Philadelphia Flyers 42 (69 points, 3rd)
5 Ottawa Senators 37 (64 points, 7th)
8 New Jersey Devils 28 (66 points, 5th)

All playoff teams, including the top three teams in the entire conference!

Now the bottom 8 teams for number of fights (eastern conference teams only):

23 Toronto Maple Leafs 18 (62 points, 8th place)
25 New York Islanders 15 (54 points, 13th)
26 Carolina Hurricanes 14 (53 points, 15th)
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 14 (54 points, 12th)
29 Montreal Canadiens 12 (55 points, 11th)

Only one playoff team (and that's us squeeking in at 8th place). The others make up 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the east.


I don't think anybody is saying "duh... if you fight, you win... duh". Obviously, you have to play the game, score goals, play solid defensively, have good goaltending, special teams etc.

But part of being a well rounded team is being tough enough to play against the big boys, and we're in a very tough conference. When the Bruins, Rangers etc. start laying the body on us, we're ill-equipped to handle it, particularly up front. We lose far too many puck battles. These teams come at you hard and wear you down, and when you push back, they'll challenge you. Whether or not you like that aspect of the game, it's a part of the overall picture, and we don't measure up very well against the competition right now.

Adding a couple of guys with some size and sandpaper will enable us to win more puck battles in the trenches, protect and make room for our skilled players and help us exploit our speed advantage.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:07 AM
  #83
TeamRenzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
he leads nhl in hits is 22 6'3' 220 and is praised on Islanders board for his winning of board battles for puck and he has 13 pts and plays 13 minutes a game

Yeah useless....no he is the type pf player we need on bottom 6
Not trolling...

Zenon is also strong in the faceoff circle and a great team guy, all the players love him. He is far from useless and is exactly what you want from a 4th liner

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:31 AM
  #84
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The distribution looks pretty random. Some good teams fight and some don't. Meathead.
Meathead is absolutely bang-on. I think hockey fans who co-relate fighting with team toughness are idiots. Those who co-relate toughness with winning % are even dumber. But the one that takes the cake is the guy who does both and then call others "stupid" to try and elevate his swiss cheese theory.

Doesnt the fact that the worst team in hockey by a long-stretch (CBJ) are 4th in fighting and the best team in hockey (DET) is tied for dead last in fighting tell you something important? It tells me that success and fighting have ZERO co-relation. Thats what it tells me.

It also doesn't preclude me from knowing the importance of having tough players in your lineup but it has nothing to do with icing goons....Like I said, I would take Holmstrom in my lineup over any 4th line "enforcer" in the game. Without a second thought.

LOL @ all the "meatheads" whining for dressing of stiffs like Colton Orr and Jay Rosehill. LOL.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:50 AM
  #85
zeke
#freewilly
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 29,046
vCash: 500
yeah, what we need is more Konopkas.

(p.s. Konopka is an injury fill-in for the Sens).

Leaf fans and their obsession with hacks and goons.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:53 AM
  #86
bleeney
Registered User
 
bleeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I think Thomas Holmstrom is one tough SOB......how many crosschecks has that guy taken in the back? I don't think I have ever seen him discouraged from getting into his "office" (in front of the goalies face...hehehhe).

I am in full agreement with the your notion of one-dimensional goons being obsolete and not really a contributing factor to success. I really love watching the Bruins (not against the Leafs however as they tend to destroy the Buds), but in the playoffs. They just punish teams and wear them down. I love that kind of hockey. But as you said toughness comes in many flavors and one does not have to drop the gloves to demonstrate it. My example of Holmstrom and that of Datsyuk are exactly the tough players who don't need to fight but are winners to have on your team.
True, toughness does come in many flavours.

Dmitri Yushkevich played over 1100 games and had just three fights. But no one in their right mind could possibly say that he wasn't tough... the guy was a hard-rock player who hit hard, got hit, blocked shots, and played despite numerous horrific injuries. He could play on my team any time.

Currently, I love the way Grabovski plays the game. He's a tough little s.o.b. in his own way. The guy is absolutely fearless, and is more than willing to pay the price to make a play. And no matter how hard he gets hit, he'll get right back up and do it all over again.

I really hope Burke can re-sign him, and not just for his offensive contribution. He's a warrior.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:59 AM
  #87
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
I'm all for fighting. I love it in hockey and do wish Brown would go at it more. That said, you made no point at all with this post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post

And for the morons who think you don't need to fight check this out. Top teams in fighting compared to the bottom teams.
1 New York Rangers 46
2 Boston Bruins42
3 Philadelphia Flyers 42
4 Columbus Blue Jackets39 - Worst team in the NHL
5 Ottawa Senators 37 - Not in a playoff spot

6 Vancouver Canucks 33
7 Anaheim Ducks 29 - 13th in the West
8 New Jersey Devils 28

Bottom Teams

23 Toronto Maple Leafs 18 - Currently in a playoff spot
24 Nashville Predators 16 - In a solid playoff spot
25 New York Islanders 15
26 Carolina Hurricanes 14
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 14
28 Detroit Red Wings 12 - Best team in the NHL
29 Montreal Canadiens 12
30 Phoenix Coyotes 12 - Currently in a playoff spot

Most of the top teams in fighting are the crappy teams that aren't in a playoff position right? You guys are so stupid!
I think fighting can help a team, but to say that having more fights would make the Leafs a top end team is laughable. We do need to be tougher, but being tough =/= fighting.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
  #88
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Wow, like a Brown/Steckel hybrid? That actually sounds pretty good, having two roles in one, in the place of two roles in two players. Saves a roster spot for another hockey player does it not?
Not sure if trolling, but yes I agree with you lol.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
  #89
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post
True, toughness does come in many flavours.

Dmitri Yushkevich played over 1100 games and had just three fights. But no one in their right mind could possibly say that he wasn't tough... the guy was a hard-rock player who hit hard, got hit, blocked shots, and played despite numerous horrific injuries. He could play on my team any time.

Currently, I love the way Grabovski plays the game. He's a tough little s.o.b. in his own way. The guy is absolutely fearless, and is more than willing to pay the price to make a play. And no matter how hard he gets hit, he'll get right back up and do it all over again.

I really hope Burke can re-sign him, and not just for his offensive contribution. He's a warrior.
Funny how the guys you mention are both Russians, well Grabovski is technically Belarusian I believe? Correct me if Im wrong. They have the stereotype of the gutless, heartless types who you DONT want to go into tough competition like playoff hockey with. Well....those two guys you just mentioned blows the hell out of that stereotype. Both guys are warriors and both guys should be welcome on anybody's hockey team. Loved Yushkevich...he was a beast and nobody can question the heart/grit of Grabovski, IMO. Tough players who don't fight.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:49 PM
  #90
PresidentCamacho*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Not sure if trolling, but yes I agree with you lol.
If by "trolling" you mean being critical of the fact that we occupy two fourth line spots with two complete plugs, then yes.

Konopka is a multi-tool plug, but still only ONE plug, which would leave a wing open for a hockey player.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
  #91
masyo88*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post
I think he made his point quite well.

Look at the correlation between top 8/bottom 8 in fighting majors and where teams rank in the standings within our conference. These are the teams we play the bulk of our games against, and if we do make the playoffs, these are the teams we'll face.

Top 8 in fighting majors (eastern conference teams only):

1 New York Rangers 46 (77 points, 1st place)
2 Boston Bruins 42 (70 points, 2nd place)
3 Philadelphia Flyers 42 (69 points, 3rd)
5 Ottawa Senators 37 (64 points, 7th)
8 New Jersey Devils 28 (66 points, 5th)

All playoff teams, including the top three teams in the entire conference!

Now the bottom 8 teams for number of fights (eastern conference teams only):

23 Toronto Maple Leafs 18 (62 points, 8th place)
25 New York Islanders 15 (54 points, 13th)
26 Carolina Hurricanes 14 (53 points, 15th)
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 14 (54 points, 12th)
29 Montreal Canadiens 12 (55 points, 11th)

Only one playoff team (and that's us squeeking in at 8th place). The others make up 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the east.


I don't think anybody is saying "duh... if you fight, you win... duh". Obviously, you have to play the game, score goals, play solid defensively, have good goaltending, special teams etc.

But part of being a well rounded team is being tough enough to play against the big boys, and we're in a very tough conference. When the Bruins, Rangers etc. start laying the body on us, we're ill-equipped to handle it, particularly up front. We lose far too many puck battles. These teams come at you hard and wear you down, and when you push back, they'll challenge you. Whether or not you like that aspect of the game, it's a part of the overall picture, and we don't measure up very well against the competition right now.

Adding a couple of guys with some size and sandpaper will enable us to win more puck battles in the trenches, protect and make room for our skilled players and help us exploit our speed advantage.
I like how the morons in this thread who said I was not making sense completely ignored this post. We play in one of the toughest divisions in hockey with the Sabres, Bruins, and Senators and Montreal is looking to get bigger and tougher which they have said numerous times. Our team is a fineness team that come in the play offs time will get abused by the Rangers, Bruins, Flyers and we only have one person who plays a tough game night in and night out and can stick up for his teammates and he is Mike Brown.

You guys act like our speed has taken us to first place and we have been winning a lot this season and most teams haven't figured to shut us down. There has been multiple times this season where we needed to fight and defend each other but our team is to soft to do so. Its pathetic how so many people support soft, speed hockey which fails in the playoffs. Can't wait to make the playoffs and after we got abused by teams physically all the nancies crying for more toughness and all that.

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:18 PM
  #92
Hawaiinleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Honolulu
Country: United States
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Exactly my point.....exactly

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
  #93
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
I like how the morons in this thread who said I was not making sense completely ignored this post. We play in one of the toughest divisions in hockey with the Sabres, Bruins, and Senators and Montreal is looking to get bigger and tougher which they have said numerous times. Our team is a fineness team that come in the play offs time will get abused by the Rangers, Bruins, Flyers and we only have one person who plays a tough game night in and night out and can stick up for his teammates and he is Mike Brown.

You guys act like our speed has taken us to first place and we have been winning a lot this season and most teams haven't figured to shut us down. There has been multiple times this season where we needed to fight and defend each other but our team is to soft to do so. Its pathetic how so many people support soft, speed hockey which fails in the playoffs. Can't wait to make the playoffs and after we got abused by teams physically all the nancies crying for more toughness and all that.
You need to tone down the rhetoric...find me the statistics of last years playoffs for the teams fighting vs. their success like the one just presented. It probably wont be all that impressive because there just aren't many fights in the playoffs especially the deeper you go and the more important the games become. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you when you preach team "toughness"......especially come playoff time.... I just think your definition of team toughness may differ than others...

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:33 PM
  #94
InTermsOf*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Is there an ignore thread feature?

Honest question, I know you can ignore users.

InTermsOf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:43 PM
  #95
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR
 
Blayzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Mayso88 , i'm woth you mn!

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.