HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Byron

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
  #26
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Or I have a different opinion while watching the same game... He's done a good job getting in on the forecheck, although he loses the battle when he does get in. He has 5 assists this year. Less than noted playmakers like Hannan and Jackman... He has been nowhere near our 2nd best center this year. There is a reason he's 5th in center TOI. Jokinen, Jones, Backlund and Horak have all been better. Stajan sees sheltered minutes against the worst competition and still can't score and still has a junk +/-.
His 5 assists can be attributed to his linemates only having 4 goals between them. Going based on numbers alone, I don't know why Kostopolous' 2 extra goals warrants him to be on the second line. Stajan has played 20 games less than Kostopolous, has 2 minuted less ice time per game than Kostopolous, and Kostopolous has even had opportunities to be on the power play.

Stajan is roughly par with his linemates, yet Kostopolous is given more opportunities for some reason.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
  #27
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I disagree, when you are playing top 6 you are expected to put up points with that ice time, if you don't you are hurting the team.
Not true, losing FO's, creating turnovers, bad defence, taking dumb penalities are examples of hurting your team. Stajan rarely does any of those things, what he is lacking is offensive production and physicality. His game does not hurt the Flames in any role he plays, its his lack of production that has been a major disappointment which is why he has been a great as a bottom 6 guy.

Stajan could be an ideal stop gap in the top 6 until we get healthy.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
  #28
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,972
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Not true, losing FO's, creating turnovers, bad defence, taking dumb penalities are examples of hurting your team. Stajan rarely does any of those things, what he is lacking is offensive production and physicality. His game does not hurt the Flames in any role he plays, its his lack of production that has been a major disappointment which is why he has been a great as a bottom 6 guy.

Stajan could be an ideal stop gap in the top 6 until we get healthy.
It is true, if Iggy, Tangs, Cammy, GlenX, Jokinen weren't producing they would be hurting the team, its absurd to say otherwise.

You can say that Stajan hasn't been a liability, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been hurting the team when he was playing the top 6, because if he was helping the team he wouldn't have been moved to the 4th line.

If his production is lacking its a facet of his game, and a facet of the team and lack of production hurts the team when you are eating up lots of minutes.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
  #29
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
It is true, if Iggy, Tangs, Cammy, GlenX, Jokinen weren't producing they would be hurting the team, its absurd to say otherwise.

You can say that Stajan hasn't been a liability, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been hurting the team when he was playing the top 6, because if he was helping the team he wouldn't have been moved to the 4th line.
Will definitely have to agree with this. When a player is basically wasting the opportuinities to produce or just does nothing with them, that will hurt the team in the long run. At the same time, Stajan should be seen as another stop-gap given our situation. Problem is, he probably won't do much more than Backlund given what we've seen from both so far.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
  #30
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Will definitely have to agree with this. When a player is basically wasting the opportuinities to produce or just does nothing with them, that will hurt the team in the long run. At the same time, Stajan should be seen as another stop-gap given our situation. Problem is, he probably won't do much more than Backlund given what we've seen from both so far.
I disagree last season stajan was the best player on the top line before the Staal hit, Stajan is a pass first player and loves to pass to his line mates him and Cammy could be a real good pairing together but like many on here Sutter simply won't give him a chance.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 04:44 PM
  #31
HighLifeMan
Registered User
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
It is true, if Iggy, Tangs, Cammy, GlenX, Jokinen weren't producing they would be hurting the team, its absurd to say otherwise.

You can say that Stajan hasn't been a liability, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been hurting the team when he was playing the top 6, because if he was helping the team he wouldn't have been moved to the 4th line.

If his production is lacking its a facet of his game, and a facet of the team and lack of production hurts the team when you are eating up lots of minutes.
He has not been given an opportunity to play a consistent role in the top six since being crushed by Staal, and like I and a few others have stated in the past he was a solid contributor to our offense at the time of the injury.

It is absolutely unbelievable to me that he has not been given the opportunity to prove himself, Brent Sutter needs to put his personal bias towards Stajan aside and give the team its best opportunity to win on a game to game basis.

He may not be the most skilled or physical player out there but his skillset is easily the most suited to play a top six role of the centers we have remaining.

In my opinion;
Cammalleri - Stajan - Comeau
Looks miles better then
Kostopoulos - Cammalleri - Comeau

Its not the first time i have disagreed with Brent Sutters decisions, and it certainly wont be the last.

Who knows though, maybe Cammalleri shows us something down the middle

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
  #32
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He has not been given an opportunity to play a consistent role in the top six since being crushed by Staal, and like I and a few others have stated in the past he was a solid contributor to our offense at the time of the injury.

It is absolutely unbelievable to me that he has not been given the opportunity to prove himself, Brent Sutter needs to put his personal bias towards Stajan aside and give the team its best opportunity to win on a game to game basis.

He may not be the most skilled or physical player out there but his skillset is easily the most suited to play a top six role of the centers we have remaining.

In my opinion;
Cammalleri - Stajan - Comeau
Looks miles better then
Kostopoulos - Cammalleri - Comeau

Its not the first time i have disagreed with Brent Sutters decisions, and it certainly wont be the last.

Who knows though, maybe Cammalleri shows us something down the middle
That would be sweet. If Cammy pans out down the middle, then our top six would look alot better because besides Olli we don't seem to have another top six centremen right now.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
  #33
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,972
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He has not been given an opportunity to play a consistent role in the top six since being crushed by Staal, and like I and a few others have stated in the past he was a solid contributor to our offense at the time of the injury.

It is absolutely unbelievable to me that he has not been given the opportunity to prove himself, Brent Sutter needs to put his personal bias towards Stajan aside and give the team its best opportunity to win on a game to game basis.

He may not be the most skilled or physical player out there but his skillset is easily the most suited to play a top six role of the centers we have remaining.

In my opinion;
Cammalleri - Stajan - Comeau
Looks miles better then
Kostopoulos - Cammalleri - Comeau

Its not the first time i have disagreed with Brent Sutters decisions, and it certainly wont be the last.

Who knows though, maybe Cammalleri shows us something down the middle
I agree with you about giving him a chance, I was only talking about why he ended up on the 4th line. I agree that this is the right time to try him as the 2nd line center again.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
  #34
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
It is true, if Iggy, Tangs, Cammy, GlenX, Jokinen weren't producing they would be hurting the team, its absurd to say otherwise.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I get what you are saying and totally understand, but my point is that Stajan's play was not directly hurting the team in terms of costing them losses. Take a guy like Bourque for example, someone who did contribute offensively. There were numerous times that he would get frustrated, play lazy, and take bone head penalities. And because of this, there were multiple times over the course of his career here that that you could argue that Bourque's play cost the Flames games. Stajan rarely does any of those things. I think what you are saying and I do completely agree, that offensively Stajan hasn't been doing anything to help "win" games for the Flames.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that Sutter should at least give Stajan a fair shake at the 2nd line especially if Cammy does not work out.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
  #35
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Cammy has looked comfortable, hopefully he can keep it up.


And get a winger who doesn't have...I can't even think of something witty to describe TKO's hands. That's just how painful it's been to watch.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:04 PM
  #36
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Cammy has looked comfortable, hopefully he can keep it up.


And get a winger who doesn't have...I can't even think of something witty to describe TKO's hands. That's just how painful it's been to watch.
Lets say he would do better just trying to punch at the puck the stick handle with it?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.