HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Physical Game

Old
02-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Bulls9220

vCash: 500
Physical Game

So I'm pretty new to hockey playing in my first season (18-20 games in, started in September) I took powerskating before so my skating and speed is really good. The whole physical aspect is pretty damn awful. I'm really strong on my skates but I almost feel its a reoccurring theme that when I hit someone my height or taller (5'9" 170lbs) I fall. It really annoys the crap out of me because I know if I could be physical I'd be unstoppable. But it holds me back sooo much. Any tips on how to actually be good physically?

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:48 PM
KINgGh0sT

If you are the one falling then you are not as good as skater as you state. your speed may all be good, but your balance isn't there. You need to learn how to lean on your skates and get the angle properly when hitting someone. You have to learn how to lean into your hit so it's nearly impossible for you to fall over. It's all about leverage. I've seen a 5'8" knock down a 6'4" guy when the bigger guy did the hitting because the smaller guy knew how to take a hit. You may need to get stronger with your legs period. The only way to really get better is well, keep checking people. You will get there.

KINgGh0sT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Aftcomet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINgGh0sT View Post
If you are the one falling then you are not as good as skater as you state. your speed may all be good, but your balance isn't there. You need to learn how to lean on your skates and get the angle properly when hitting someone. You have to learn how to lean into your hit so it's nearly impossible for you to fall over. It's all about leverage. I've seen a 5'8" knock down a 6'4" guy when the bigger guy did the hitting because the smaller guy knew how to take a hit. You may need to get stronger with your legs period. The only way to really get better is well, keep checking people. You will get there.

This. Look at videos when Datsyuk hits players much bigger than him (Boychuk, Shea Weber, Suter, etc)

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:23 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

As Kingghost said it's all about balance. You need to be really steady on your skates. I have had run ins with really big guys in my league but I am rarely the one who ends up on the ice b/c I am so solid on my skates. I even had the coach in one of my clinics come over to try and push me over as a joke and he couldn't. He mentioned how solid I was and that being that solid would mean really good things for me when I started playing.

You know not to toot my own horn but beep beep.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:47 AM
dbargaehr

A few buzzwords, and/or tips that've helped me.

A lot of people think that getting low means leaning forward, but they end up curling their back down rather than bending their knees. Bent knees = lower center of gravity = better balance. I've constantly had to remind myself of this, because I'm a pretty bad back-bender.

On the boards, you can always use the boards to help you maintain balance. Particularly when you're trying to kick the puck out with a skate, it helps to have an extra point to lean on. I've also heard people use the word "tripod" (keeping their stick on the ice to help them keep balance), but personally I don't lean on my stick for balance.

More or less, chances are you need to continue working on skating - you're never perfect. My favorite exercises for skating usually end up being Russian circles, and they help with your balance, transitions, crossovers, etc...

dbargaehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:27 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
you're gonna need to spend time at the gym, ideally 3 times a week.. but 1 is always better than nothing

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:51 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Other than getting bigger & stronger, work on your stance, knees bent, feet shoulder width or more apart, chest forward & head up (it's something that you can work on & change pretty fast). It will greatly improve your stability & also allow you to be more explosive when you hit.

Last edited by sanityplease: 02-17-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: forgot feet shoulder width apart
sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Gino 14

First, if you're new to hockey, you shouldn't worry about hitting, you'll never be playing in a checking league and hitting in rec league will get you tossed or get your ass kicked. Learn to skate and handle the puck and then you'll be unstoppable.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote