HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Flyers as Sellers?

Old
02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

vCash: 500
What do want for Bob or Meszjaros.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:20 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Yeah but if they could just get more consistency from their defense in general, and either one of the two goaltenders starts showing some consistency, things could change. I think you look internally first, then try to go to external measures, and then last resort is selling.

I don't even think with desperation that anyone would offer up a 1st for Matt Carle. Stranger things have happened at the deadline. The Rangers shipped off Tony Amonte for Noonan and Matteau... enough said.

Yeah, Timonen won't ask. His family has to be rooted there now, and I don't see him wanting to leave in the first place. Not happening at all.
There is no internal answer with defensive prospects in our farm. Our most promising one [at least to me] is Gus, and he's up right now. Not playing bad, but makes a few rookie blunders here and there. I'm not saying I think they should sell, because I don't think that's what should happen. Selling IMO is last resort. Beyond everything.

Versteeg got a 1st and 3rd last year. The deadline brings our the craziness in everyone, including fans.

I wouldn't ask Timonen to move at all, the only way I would consider moving him if I was GM was if he came and asked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
I can't wait until Briere goes on another tear these playoffs and the same Flyer fans who want to move him every year around this time look like fools again.
It's not really the sake of 'same flyers fans', it's more so people looking at all options. Thinking and wondering if a trade is possible to better the Flyers going forward. Though with the issues Briere is having with his kids and ex wife, there is no real reason for him to leave, either ask to be moved. At least IMO.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
What do want for Bob or Meszjaros.
I don't see a deal happening between us of that standing.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
You're doing a disservice to most of the Flyers fans posting in this thread--who are far from the on-again, off-again bandwagoners you seem to imply.

I'm excited for the future of this team, but realistic about its chances this year. It isn't a matter of a "slump"--we aren't good enough to win a cup this year. We're good enough to get out of the first round, maybe, but probably not to progress further.

I agree that the Flyers won't trade off their assets (which is what I said in the text that you quoted)--if for no other reason than Snider's ego--but I think it is unwise to move our futures for short-term help.

To suggest that it's simply a matter of defensive depth seems to me to be far too shallow an analysis of this team's deficiencies. The four-non rookies have not played well enough either (Timonen mostly, but not wholly, excepted). Gill and Grossman won't be the difference between a 2nd round exit and a run to the finals.
This.

If you've watched the Flyers the entire season, you know in your heart that this team isn't going to be a serious threat in the playoffs. The defense simply isn't good enough, and that **** show on the back end is exacerbating a shaky goalie tandem. That's the frustrating reality of the situation, deal with it. The Flyers are also too soft, which is one of the reasons the Rangers and Bruins own them this season. Be physical, finish your checks on this team, and you'll grind them down over the course of the game. You even heard John Tortorella say that in 24/7. And without Pronger, there's no one on the blue line who's a real intimidating physical force. No one to clear the porch in front of the net. The kinds of goals teams are scoring from within five feet of the net is embarrassing. Coburn is Carter-like with his maddeningly inconsistent display of potential -- for ****'s sake, you're 6'5", hit something. Meszaros doesn't exactly lay the lumber, either.

There's a lot of reason for optimism and the future for the Flyers is bright, but patience MUST be exercised right now. I know patience is not Mr. Snider's cup of tea, but there's a reason it's a virtue. There's a good thing going on here, it just needs to be properly nurtured so it can evolve organically. No matter how much Snider and the rest of the Flyers organization were hoping for a quick fix after the Carter and Richards trades, that's really not how it works. The Flyers need to see this process through, and that begins by not overpaying or gutting the system to acquire bandaid players.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Rex

I think they shouldn't be buyers or sellers. They should stand pat. There is no point in trading away anyone. This team this year has been in the fight for the best record in the league. They have crazy skill and potential. Who knows that they don't get hot at the end of March and fly into the playoffs on fire? This team, if Bryz can withstand the soft goal, could take out some real contenders.

In a way, the Flyers are rebuilding while also staying in contention. In two years, if they keep guys like Schenn, Couturier, Read, Gustafsson and Bourdon, these players will be 10x better then they are now. If the defense tightens up this year and cuts down on the turnovers, the Flyers will be a very dangerous team.

If they are going to make a move, whether buyer or seller, the only guys who have any value that I would move would be JvR, Bob, or Carle. JvR still has a ton of value based on potential, and that will drop if he continues to play the way he has all year. Carle would merely to be to get something back since I think it's better off they let him walk in the offseason. That money (he's expecting $4.5+) is better off invested elsewhere. Bob will never get a fair chance here with Bryzgalov blocking him, and behind Schnieder and Bernier, he might be one of the most promising backups in the league right now.

Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:03 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This.

If you've watched the Flyers the entire season, you know in your heart that this team isn't going to be a serious threat in the playoffs. The defense simply isn't good enough, and that **** show on the back end is exacerbating a shaky goalie tandem. That's the frustrating reality of the situation, deal with it. The Flyers are also too soft, which is one of the reasons the Rangers and Bruins own them this season. Be physical, finish your checks on this team, and you'll grind them down over the course of the game. You even heard John Tortorella say that in 24/7. And without Pronger, there's no one on the blue line who's a real intimidating physical force. No one to clear the porch in front of the net. The kinds of goals teams are scoring from within five feet of the net is embarrassing. Coburn is Carter-like with his maddeningly inconsistent display of potential -- for ****'s sake, you're 6'5", hit something. Meszaros doesn't exactly lay the lumber, either.

There's a lot of reason for optimism and the future for the Flyers is bright, but patience MUST be exercised right now. I know patience is not Mr. Snider's cup of tea, but there's a reason it's a virtue. There's a good thing going on here, it just needs to be properly nurtured so it can evolve organically. No matter how much Snider and the rest of the Flyers organization were hoping for a quick fix after the Carter and Richards trades, that's really not how it works. The Flyers need to see this process through, and that begins by not overpaying or gutting the system to acquire bandaid players.

Yeah. I'm going to have to basically agree with this 100%.

The Flyers are a good and solid hockey, team but I truly don't think they're cup contenders. Can they maybe steal a round or two with the correct matchup? Sure. Coburn needs to use his size and mean streak more then he actually does. Meszaros tends to pull himself out of position too much and sometimes it burns us.

Snider needs to have some patience right now. Because the worst thing that could happen is a big panic trade that backfires on us completely. The Flyers have a bright future with tons of young talent. They just need to desperately shore up the back end.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:02 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I think they shouldn't be buyers or sellers. They should stand pat. There is no point in trading away anyone. This team this year has been in the fight for the best record in the league. They have crazy skill and potential. Who knows that they don't get hot at the end of March and fly into the playoffs on fire? This team, if Bryz can withstand the soft goal, could take out some real contenders.

In a way, the Flyers are rebuilding while also staying in contention. In two years, if they keep guys like Schenn, Couturier, Read, Gustafsson and Bourdon, these players will be 10x better then they are now. If the defense tightens up this year and cuts down on the turnovers, the Flyers will be a very dangerous team.

If they are going to make a move, whether buyer or seller, the only guys who have any value that I would move would be JvR, Bob, or Carle. JvR still has a ton of value based on potential, and that will drop if he continues to play the way he has all year. Carle would merely to be to get something back since I think it's better off they let him walk in the offseason. That money (he's expecting $4.5+) is better off invested elsewhere. Bob will never get a fair chance here with Bryzgalov blocking him, and behind Schnieder and Bernier, he might be one of the most promising backups in the league right now.
that is quite a few really big "IF"s haha

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
captainpaxil

with the demand for pmd every year at the right price i could see moving carle for the right price. i dont think that makes the flyers sellers by any standard though.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

even with all the significant injuries the Flyers are hanging in there to get home ice in round 1. No way they are sellers.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:26 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I know briere is struggling a bit but what realistically would philly want for him?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I know briere is struggling a bit but what realistically would philly want for him?
Realistically he goes no where. NMC and has his family all set up in the area (well, with his sons anyways).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:40 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Realistically he goes no where. NMC and has his family all set up in the area (well, with his sons anyways).
Alright far enough wouldn't mind him on the flames.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:39 AM
John Flyers Fan

If Carle won't re-sign for $4.25 or less, and he certainly could get more on the open market this summer I would make him available.

I'd make him available to everyone in the West, with the starting point be a 1st & 3rd pick (or equivalent value).

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote