Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 10:25 PM
DarthYenik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
I think this is proof we don't need DuckJet
I think this is proof that we should procrastinate on the GDT until half-way through the first period.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:29 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Just finished watching game after work. Man I was sweating bullets there for a while. Glad the boys got the win. Tough game tomorrow.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

8 out of the playoffs with game in hand.
10 out of 6th with game in hand.
.....no longer a lottery team.

It sucks that Pittsburgh is the game in hand, but lets go Ducks!

Old
02-14-2012, 10:39 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
I think this is proof we don't need DuckJet

Old
02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
ninetynine*

I think this is proof Parros is still a beast.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Selanne only had 13:27 TOI - I missed a lot of the game - was he injured?

Old
02-14-2012, 11:02 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Ducks are 2-0 when I sleep all afternoon long.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Ducks are 2-0 when I sleep all afternoon long.
Where should we have your Lunesta shipped to?

Old
02-15-2012, 12:31 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Selanne only had 13:27 TOI - I missed a lot of the game - was he injured?
not that i know of.. in the 3rd period hagman took his spot.. it was

blake-getzlaf-perry
ryan-koivu-hagman
belesky-bonino-cogs
4th line

i donno if he was injured or not cause no1 said anything.. i think he just got benched for a bit... he was still out there on the PP's so i assume hes fine.. just got benched.. honestly hes been pretty terrible for awhile now

Old
02-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
not that i know of.. in the 3rd period hagman took his spot.. it was

blake-getzlaf-perry
ryan-koivu-hagman
belesky-bonino-cogs
4th line

i donno if he was injured or not cause no1 said anything.. i think he just got benched for a bit... he was still out there on the PP's so i assume hes fine.. just got benched.. honestly hes been pretty terrible for awhile now
I thought he was one of the best players on the ice the previous two games.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Not tonight, though.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

When you're on a road trip like this you might want to be cautious with his old legs. Especially with back-to-back games. Could also be hurt, or have some sort of illness. What and see how it plays out tomorrow.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:03 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post

Either way, you might be one of 5 hockey fans who think Sbisa is better than Fowler. And four of them are Sbisa's parents and friends.
Wow, can you be any more ignorant?
Every one who watches Ducks games knows that Sbisa is playing a better hockey right now than Fowler. NOT in terms of potential/ceiling, but he's more effective in the O and D part of the game.
I find it amusing how some of you still think his maximum reach is a 3rd / 4rd D, although he's already playing like that as a 21yo.
Especially if these people think Fowler will somehow turn into a 2nd Scotty, but Sbisa is too limited to become any better.

Btw, I feel like having this discussion for the 100th time so I'll try to not take it any further. Only future will tell and I'm very excited to see how these great young Dmen will turn out.

Last edited by swissexpert: 02-15-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old
02-15-2012, 01:13 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Every one who watches Ducks games sees that Sbisa is playing a better hockey right now than Fowler. Not in terms of potential/ceiling, but he's more effective in the O and D part of the game.
I find it amusing how some of you still think his maximum reach is a 3rd / 4rd D, although he already plays like this as a 21yo.
Especially if these people think Fowler will somehow turn into a 2nd Scotty, but Sbisa is too limited to become any better.
I think they're both great defensemen... Sbisa has been coming around the last 20 or so games offensively. Fowler has faltered at times but doesn't seem bothered by it and keeps in the play which shows his maturity.

They're neck and neck IMO. Can't really be too upset with someone saying one is better than the other because they both seem like above average defensemen for their age.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Btw... that will be my only post that's on topic and actually about hockey for the year so you people should print it out and frame it.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
James Franco

made this at a [7]

Old
02-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Paul4587

We managed a win in spite of our woeful PP, too bad they couldn't take any of the momentum from the Columbus game. Perry & Hiller were awesome, Hagman had a strong game as well. I don't know what Beleskey is doing in the top 9 over Hagman and why he was on the 2nd PP unit when we have much better options.

I still can't believe people are trying to put up the argument that Sbisa is better than Fowler. Sbisa is red hot and Fowler is slumping at the moment yet Fowler is consistently being given more ice time than Sbisa. There's a reason for that, Fowler is simply put a much better hockey player, he always has been and likely always will be, his hockey IQ will make sure of that.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Selanne had picked it up past few games, but yeah he was pretty god awful tonight. I just watched the game and IMO he wasn't just bad at ES, but on the PP as well. His turnover during the double minor killed it IMO. Gotta give props to BB for benching him though, not many coaches have the balls to bench an icon. I'm still not a big fan of that 2nd line though.

Top line was beast. Perry and Getz were monsters, especially Perry. Hiller was great as well.

I've been super impressed with Pelley lately. He's upped his physical game past 5-10 games and it's made him much more effective then he was.

I still want to see Bonino and Selanne on a line together. Third line was pretty good, but I still don't think Ryan is a good fit with Selanne. However, I've been very impressed with Blake while he's been up there. It's suprising because I didn't think he'd be a good fit, but his forechecking has done wonders for that line.

Blake-Getzlaf-Perry
Hagman/Cogliano-Koivu-Ryan
Hagman/Cogliano-Bonino-Selanne
Beleskey-Pelley-Parros

Big questions is: Do Ducks try Hiller again tomorrow, or give him a break?

Old
02-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
We managed a win in spite of our woeful PP, too bad they couldn't take any of the momentum from the Columbus game. Perry & Hiller were awesome, Hagman had a strong game as well. I don't know what Beleskey is doing in the top 9 over Hagman and why he was on the 2nd PP unit when we have much better options.

I still can't believe people are trying to put up the argument that Sbisa is better than Fowler. Sbisa is red hot and Fowler is slumping at the moment yet Fowler is consistently being given more ice time than Sbisa. There's a reason for that, Fowler is simply put a much better hockey player, he always has been and likely always will be, his hockey IQ will make sure of that.
Yeah Hagman was solid. Props to the guy for giving it his all, even when stuck on the 4th line. Agreed about Beleskey as well.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Every one who watches Ducks games knows that Sbisa is playing a better hockey right now than Fowler. NOT in terms of potential/ceiling, but he's more effective in the O and D part of the game.
I find it amusing how some of you still think his maximum reach is a 3rd / 4rd D, although he's already playing like that as a 21yo.

Btw, I feel like having this discussion for the 100th time so I'll try to not take it any further. Only future will tell and I'm very excited to see how these great young Dmen will turn out.
I think you're generalizing things a bit too much, or putting too much emphasis into stats.

Cam Fowler has the greater responsibility of the two. He's getting 1st pairing minutes, seeing the tougher match-ups, and looks like he has been asked to put a greater focus on defense. On top of that, Fowler has become Boudreau's top puck-mover, and was in that same role when Carlyle left. Furthermore, Fowler is expected to create the offense on his pairing, and consequently he's also the guy opposing teams key on. He's the go-to guy, where Sbisa has Visnovsky to lean on offensively, and Lubo is the focus of that pairing.

Sbisa has taken big steps this season, and I think he's playing some of his best hockey... but Fowler started this season as our best defenseman. Not the hottest, or the one with the most potential, but the best. He has already shown the ability to take over games, and dictate the flow, which is a skill we have never seen from Sbisa. If you want to know a big reason why Fowler is seen to have #1 potential while Sbisa doesn't, that's it right there. Sbisa is more of a complementary player. A talented one, no doubt, but he just doesn't have the same upside.

Fowler has had his struggles this season, but he's shown more often than not that he deserves the responsibility he's getting. With young players, though, that kind of responsibility means you can expect more mistakes, and those mistakes can hurt more. That's just the nature of the game. When you're thrown into the deep end, sometimes you're going to flounder a bit. It doesn't get much deeper than top pairing responsibility.

The only area Sbisa has a significant edge over Fowler right now is in the physicality department. He's the more physically mature of the two, and his game utilizes that aspect more. That also makes him better equpped to handle the rigors of the NHL right now. Defensively, they are a lot closer than I think you realize, though Sbisa's physical edge certainly adds something to his defensive play, and offensively Fowler just does more. He's more creative offensively, makes better passes, sees the ice better, and just seems to think the game faster than most.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The best thing about Blake on the top line? Instead of cycling it 30 times behind the goal he says nope and chucks it back to the point. Accurately.

Agreed on Hagman. Nothing but respect for the guy.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
The best thing about Blake on the top line? Instead of cycling it 30 times behind the goal he says nope and chucks it back to the point. Accurately.

His forechecking made that line click tonight. He opened up a lot of lanes for the twins and they were pretty dominate. Both had several great chances.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:31 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:

I'm just going to ignore the fact that as a guy who named himself a Swiss Expert, you have natural bias toward's swiss born players.

When did I say that Sbisa can ONLY be a 3rd or 4th? I said that's his safe plateau. His ceiling is a first pairing defender and I have maintained that stance since we received him from Philadelphia. If you wanna go Hardy Boys on me and research all my posts about Sbisa, you will see that I have always said this in his defense. Obviously at age 21 he has the potential to get better.

Fowler has the higher upside and I have no bias here. If I'm running a team and an expansion draft causes me to pick between Fowler and Sbisa, I pick Fowler without even a second thought. He's 20 years old and playing on our first pairing and matching up against the league's top forwards every night. Obviously there are going to be mistakes there, and with the RPG line (who he is iced with for the most part) and the PP struggling so much, it's not a big surprise that his numbers have declined a bit. He's also focusing on defense more. Sbisa got burned 4 times tonight. Fowler only got burned once and he still recovered in time to take away the scoring chance. And he singlehandedly prevented a 2 on one.

You can make the case that Fowler has STILL had the better year. Sbisa HAS been more solid. But his recently inflated numbers are a direct result of his new partner. Anyone playing with Lubo is going to have more points. You think Lydman having career point totals last year was some kind of offensive revelation on his part? No. Not really.

But I'd agree that overall, in light of Fowler's growing pains, Sbisa has taken the reins and run with them, and I'm very happy with his improvement. They're both, as you said, very talented defensemen and the future looks bright with them as well as Schultz and Vatanen coming over.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:32 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
His forechecking made that line click tonight. He opened up a lot of lanes for the twins and they were pretty dominate. Both had several great chances.
Quote:

Am I the only one who DIDN'T like Blake on the first line? He was muscled off the puck so many times I lost count. At one point he was literally pressured from the faceoff dot all the way outside the blue line and he didn't even try to get a pass away. I liked Hagman on the top line more.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think you're generalizing things a bit too much, or putting too much emphasis into stats.

Cam Fowler has the greater responsibility of the two. He's getting 1st pairing minutes, seeing the tougher match-ups, and looks like he has been asked to put a greater focus on defense. On top of that, Fowler has become Boudreau's top puck-mover, and was in that same role when Carlyle left. Furthermore, Fowler is expected to create the offense on his pairing, and consequently he's also the guy opposing teams key on. He's the go-to guy, where Sbisa has Visnovsky to lean on offensively, and Lubo is the focus of that pairing.
Totaly agree but would you "downgrade" Beauchemin? Sbisa is more or less at the same role on his pairing.

Quote:
Sbisa has taken big steps this season, and I think he's playing some of his best hockey... but Fowler started this season as our best defenseman. Not the hottest, or the one with the most potential, but the best. He has already shown the ability to take over games, and dictate the flow, which is a skill we have never seen from Sbisa. If you want to know a big reason why Fowler is seen to have #1 potential while Sbisa doesn't, that's it right there. Sbisa is more of a complementary player. A talented one, no doubt, but he just doesn't have the same upside.
Agreed on #1, Fowler is a prototype of player for the #1 role in the new NHL. Sbisa, well I would not call it complementary player. His type of player enables the play of the offensive guys. I said it several times, Sbisa is destinated to play with Justin Schultz imho. Upsidewise, well, it depends on what you look at. Adam Foote upside? I would take this kind of player every second. You just need those players to win. Fowler has the abity to set the pace of the game, Sbisa has the ability to break the pace of the opponents game.

Quote:
Fowler has had his struggles this season, but he's shown more often than not that he deserves the responsibility he's getting. With young players, though, that kind of responsibility means you can expect more mistakes, and those mistakes can hurt more. That's just the nature of the game. When you're thrown into the deep end, sometimes you're going to flounder a bit. It doesn't get much deeper than top pairing responsibility.
I think Fowler is playing a great season. Last year was spectacular but ever player of his age playing the way he does is great. Not many out there who can do that.

Quote:
The only area Sbisa has a significant edge over Fowler right now is in the physicality department. He's the more physically mature of the two, and his game utilizes that aspect more. That also makes him better equpped to handle the rigors of the NHL right now. Defensively, they are a lot closer than I think you realize, though Sbisa's physical edge certainly adds something to his defensive play, and offensively Fowler just does more. He's more creative offensively, makes better passes, sees the ice better, and just seems to think the game faster than most.
Nothing more to add . I also believe that Sbisa has way more upside defensivly due to his physical abilities.

Closed Thread