HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2012, 02:49 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I am so not cool with trading for Nash. This is someone who may not even fit our system and self admittedly prefers to play in smaller markets. His cap hit is horrendous, the years are horrendous, the player/prospect cost would be horrendous... Everything involving Nash coming to NYR has terribad written all over it.

And trading Dubinsky for a finesse, non physical player would leave a noticeable decrease in our forechecking ability, which is one of the best parts of our game. I don't like the idea of giving up any roster players with value, but if a gun was held to my head I'd say take Anisimov.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:07 AM
blueshirtbolt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
if a gun was held to my head I'd say take Anisimov.
i'll shoot them before they get you.

nash is not required. if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:18 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I dont know why you would want Nash... He would be expensive both in assets and in caphit... He's totally not worth it.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Really not a fan of any move for Nash. The guy is a good player, but his cap hit, contract length, and the team's chemistry right now kills any desire to acquire him. 7.8 is like the 4th largest cap hit in the league, and we need cap to resign the RFAs. This would cripple the organization

Old
02-15-2012, 04:17 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I would do it reluctantly - but somehow not include Kreider. Or Erixon. Miller/McNasty yes

Old
02-15-2012, 04:18 AM
bmw2004

Stay a way please

Old
02-15-2012, 05:04 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
Like Nash but no thanks. Too expensive.
Agreed. Would be like adding Drury and Gomes contracts all over again. Have to be a rental.

Old
02-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Agreed. Would be like adding Drury and Gomes contracts all over again. Have to be a rental.
agreed. just under 8 million a year...That's over kill. If we were able to negotiate a lower contract price. But CBJ paid him to stay. Plus, he even said he's a small market player. NY is a gigantic market. He might **** the bed. Keep our team or get a rental.

Old
02-15-2012, 05:58 AM
EspenK

As a NJ native and a NY sports fan, I don't see Nash flourishing in NY. You guys would be all over him when you realize that he floats from time to time and doesn't seem to exist for stretches at a time.

Last night he was jazzed and played a hard nosed physical game. But those are too few and too far between which is why I as a Jackets fan wouldn't be crushed if we traded him.

So if the Rangers are interested and Kreider is included in the package, is he signed yet? If he is not do his rights transfer to the BJ's. I was psyched to hear he might be in a deal but got to wondering about his contract status. That would be classic Jacket mismanagement-trade for a top prospect and then have the guy not sign.

And because the Jackets will be playing golf come April, I will be rooting for the Rangers in the playoffs.

Old
02-15-2012, 06:33 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So if the Rangers are interested and Kreider is included in the package, is he signed yet? If he is not do his rights transfer to the BJ's. I was psyched to hear he might be in a deal but got to wondering about his contract status. That would be classic Jacket mismanagement-trade for a top prospect and then have the guy not sign.

And because the Jackets will be playing golf come April, I will be rooting for the Rangers in the playoffs.
Kreider is not under contract. He is still playing in college, so he won't sign until he's done because once he signs he loses his NCAA eligibility.

I honestly don't see the Rangers trading Kreider or trading for Nash.

Edit: And yes, if he was traded, his rights would transfer just like any other unsigned prospect. As you noted, he could choose not to sign, but he'd have to wait another year to become UFA.

Last edited by GAGLine: 02-15-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old
02-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I would be willing to part with valuable assets if Rick Nash's contract was manageable but it really isn't. He's overpaid by at least 2 million a year and that's going to hurt us when it comes to signing the young talent we don't trade. Nash is a great player but when you have a team like ours that's always going to be near the cap, giving talent for a guy that's overpaid isn't something I'm interested in.

Old
02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
On the subject of Carter--I'd pass.

He seems to pout too much when things don't go his way and his contract is way too big and long to put up with that. He's not really a playoff or big game player.
Both Carter's and Nash's contracts are too big. Adding anyone of them, would be sinking over 40% of your cap money into 4 contracts. That would make resigning other players very tough.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
My list of players, from optimal to least optimal option:

Parise
Ryan
Carter
Nash
This. Although Parise, as a rental, is never, ever going to happen. I think Ryan would be the best fit for us. Has a good contract and plays a style that would fit perfectly with our team. Parise would be nice to pick up as a UFA but I don't think we can afford to give out another 10 year contract with the new CBA coming up.

I would still do Dubinsky + Kreider + 1st for Ryan.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
bubba5

If we were sitting around 6-9th place like we had been the last couple years, then I would take a chance with Nash, but not this year. Also, don't Forget Pairise is a UFA July 1, Devs fans still living in denial he is going to stay (like he really enjoys playing in front of half empty arena), he would be a perfect fit for us if we could work out the cap.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
KennyWu

I love the idea of Nash playing here and upping the scoring talent for this team, but in reality it's just a bad move. Way too much money and handcuffs the franchise for years to come.

Stay the course

Old
02-15-2012, 08:27 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

This is a true test for the cigar, his ability to not pull the trigger. A case of addition by not adding.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Both Carter's and Nash's contracts are too big. Adding anyone of them, would be sinking over 40% of your cap money into 4 contracts. That would make resigning other players very tough.
To be fair, we've already done that -- or at least are teetering on that percentage. Gaborik, Richards, Lundqvist and either Callahan or Dubinsky equate to roughy 38% of our cap space. Granted, Nash's $7.8M impacts that percentage significantly, but Carter would not likely be as difficult to swallow assuming you're comfortable with the situation as it is now. I'd have to think Dubinsky would almost certainly be included in the deal for either player, or at the very least, traded down the line to make sure we can retain other pieces.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
This is a true test for the cigar, his ability to not pull the trigger. A case of addition by not adding.
I don't even think it's that much of a test, to be honest. No matter which way you think about it, there is no good argument to be made for trading for Nash (or Carter) based on the cost being prohibitive, their contracts, and other cap-related matters. Granted, Slats has disregarded all common sense and logic plenty of times before to make moronic moves, but even he has to see that the philosophy the team is going with now, particularly following Tortorella's wishes, is working much better than anything Sather tried before.

Those contracts, and the notion of trading away Kreider, makes these negotiations non-starters.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
bubba5

Boomer just said, no way you could give up Kreider, does not want Nash on our team at the risk of blowing up the chemistry.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:43 AM
egelband

You give up value *or* money. Not both. So if CBJ wants to get a big contract off the books they don't get a ton of value. They can't have it both ways. The Rangers should hold the proverbial gun to their head. 'Want to get rid of this contract? We'll give you a nice player like Anisimov and a mid-range prospect. Otherwise, tell your story walking back to Columbus'. Rangers mustnt take on a huge cap hit *and* lose top players/prospects.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:45 AM
AJRanger

Bobby Ryan or bust for me. I don't want anything to do with Nash's contract. Nothing at all.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
NYR Viper

The Rangers are not going to screw with the teams chemistry. If they want to make this type of deal, you do it in the off-season. Not now.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I don't even think it's that much of a test, to be honest. No matter which way you think about it, there is no good argument to be made for trading for Nash (or Carter) based on the cost being prohibitive, their contracts, and other cap-related matters. Granted, Slats has disregarded all common sense and logic plenty of times before to make moronic moves, but even he has to see that the philosophy the team is going with now, particularly following Tortorella's wishes, is working much better than anything Sather tried before.

Those contracts, and the notion of trading away Kreider, makes these negotiations non-starters.
I think this trade deadline and off-season will be a huge test for Sather and co. Changing your mindset to build from within in a cap league... Not difficult. Yielding results with that culture change/mindset... Not easy but doable with the right scouts... Getting that final piece to the puzzle, in the right way, for the right price... without ruining team concept/chemistry... EXTREMELY DIFFICULT

Old
02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Kreider is one of the untouchable prospects (at least for me).

Any trade that involves him is a no-go for me.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:54 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers are not going to screw with the teams chemistry. If they want to make this type of deal, you do it in the off-season. Not now.
Exactly. Plus, you don't leverage your future for an overpaid, underachieving player.

That paradigm ship has sailed.

Closed Thread