HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Except Chipper was the highest rated NA skater at this point of the season.
I meant they way he described him.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I meant they way he described him.
I'm sure that's what he meant. Sissons is much more of a goal scorer, is grittier and plays the boards a lot more.

That said, if Chips wasn't injured and we still played pre-lockout rules, he'd probably have been a much better player.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Not much change in Craig Button's List

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Big mover is Teravainen, inevitable Saku Koivu comparisons to come.

Who is Mark Jankowski at #38? Don't recall anyone ever drafted from Quebec Prep school system.

Brady Skjei sounds like a second chance at McDonagh.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...Skjei-day.html

Radek Faksa feature, kid is sounding better all the time.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...Road-trip.html
Joonas Korpisalo. A goalie, with a little bit of Billy Smith when you go in his crease. We need goalies. We need toughness even in nets....I LIKE!

And here's Mark Jankowski.

http://themphl.stats.pointstreak.com...&seasonid=7866

Old
02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Any chance that Tom Wilson slips to the second round?

Old
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Probably not in a draft this shallow.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
For me? Absolutely. Even if some like to think that this is an ordinairy draft, there is enough of 30 prospects with GREAT pure talent that has a chance of having a higher ceiling than Wilson. Not saying he won't be good though, there's is plenty of 2nd rounders who are becoming than some of their 1st rounder counterparts. But wouldn't be surprised if he is picked at that round either.

Thing is, Bruins might not let him pass by if he is available. So chances are he becomes 1st rounder by need not by BPA. For me, it is close though. But I can name you easily 25 NA skaters I'd like more than him for various reasons, clearly 5 European skaters and chances are Subban and Vasilievski are better prospects than him as well. As you see, that's pretty close to the 1st. After I'm done with my analysis, it could change. I could like 10 more prospects or he could grew on me more. Not done yet.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 02-14-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old
02-15-2012, 12:03 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For me? Absolutely. Even if some like to think that this is an ordinairy draft, there is enough of 30 prospects with GREAT pure talent that has a chance of having a higher ceiling than Wilson. Not saying he won't be good though, there's is plenty of 2nd rounders who are becoming than some of their 1st rounder counterparts. But wouldn't be surprised if he is picked at that round either.

Thing is, Bruins might not let him pass by if he is available. So chances are he becomes 1st rounder by need not by BPA. For me, it is close though. But I can name you easily 25 NA skaters I'd like more than him for various reasons, clearly 5 European skaters and chances are Subban and Vasilievski are better prospects than him as well. As you see, that's pretty close to the 1st. After I'm done with my analysis, it could change. I could like 10 more prospects or he could grew on me more. Not done yet.
He's not a first round prospect for me either, but don't forget that a similar player in Biggs last year was selected in the 1st round. Teams want to find the next Lucic really bad.

Thing is with Biggs though that he's playing in College and can't fight. Wilson on the other hand is already a fine fighter. I wouldn't hesitate 1 second to draft him in the 2nd round. At 20, not so sure.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Grigorenko had 2 goals last night, nice to see he was not playing well last couples weeks (as remparts). 2nd goal was a beauty with a real nice move one on one with a Baie-Comeau d-men

http://www.hockeyprospect.tv/2012/02...s-vs-baie.html

Edit: Adam Erne also had 2 goals, he's 2013 but what a stud. kid got it all. what a power forward is going to be

Old
02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Grigorenko had 2 goals last night, nice to see he was not playing well last couples weeks (as remparts). 2nd goal was a beauty with a real nice move one on one with a Baie-Comeau d-men

http://www.hockeyprospect.tv/2012/02...s-vs-baie.html

Edit: Adam Erne also had 2 goals, he's 2013 but what a stud. kid got it all. what a power forward is going to be
A lot of Grigorenko's goals are not things that would work on NHL d-men. that's why I see a relatively high bust ratio on him compared to guys like Murray Yakupov Dumba Trouba. Has a lot of Zherdev and Filatov in him.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:01 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
A lot of Grigorenko's goals are not things that would work on NHL d-men. that's why I see a relatively high bust ratio on him compared to guys like Murray Yakupov Dumba Trouba. Has a lot of Zherdev and Filatov in him.
Good point about his bust potential but heard the same thing on hf about Jeff Skinner in 2010 where this wouldnt work in the nhl

Old
02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Good point about his bust potential but heard the same thing on hf about Jeff Skinner in 2010 where this wouldnt work in the nhl
Skinner is more of a guy that uses speed to find openings and has a good release. Yakupov is a grittier/tougher version of Skinner. Grigorenko is more of a Koavlev type dangler who tries to beat guys 1 on 1 and tries to set up plays.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Skinner is more of a guy that uses speed to find openings and has a good release. Yakupov is a grittier/tougher version of Skinner. Grigorenko is more of a Koavlev type dangler who tries to beat guys 1 on 1 and tries to set up plays.
Yup, that doesn't work for Malkin.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yup, that doesn't work for Malkin.
Malkin only occasionally dangles, he uses his size and speed to make space and is not afraid of traffic. Grigorenko is more of a perimiter player.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Joonas Korpisalo. A goalie, with a little bit of Billy Smith when you go in his crease. We need goalies. We need toughness even in nets....I LIKE!

And here's Mark Jankowski.

http://themphl.stats.pointstreak.com...&seasonid=7866
Korpisalo sounds great. Have you seen Brandon Whitney play this year? Big goalie and described as "fierce competitor."

Jankowski is listed as Quebec Prep, but this link is to the MidWest Prep League?

What NCAA school is he going to?

Old
02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Korpisalo sounds great. Have you seen Brandon Whitney play this year? Big goalie and described as "fierce competitor."

Jankowski is listed as Quebec Prep, but this link is to the MidWest Prep League?

I saw the Victoriaville vs. Halifax game a week ago (???), and Whitney flat out stole a point for the Tigres.

He looked really good in that one, but his save% is nothing spectacular, so he's probably not a top end goalie prospect because of inconsistency.

Not too sure about him overall, have a bit of info?

Old
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Malkin only occasionally dangles, he uses his size and speed to make space and is not afraid of traffic. Grigorenko is more of a perimiter player.
Untrue. When I watched Grigorenko play against the Mooseheads, he scored a beauty goal on his back hand in traffic. He will go where needed. He plays a cerebral game. He controls the puck. Makes smart passes and has otherworldly vision. Couple that with a dangerous array of shots, his flair and ability to make those around him better. He's very much a Malkin-lite.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Providence College last I heard

Old
02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Untrue. When I watched Grigorenko play against the Mooseheads, he scored a beauty goal on his back hand in traffic. He will go where needed. He plays a cerebral game. He controls the puck. Makes smart passes and has otherworldly vision. Couple that with a dangerous array of shots, his flair and ability to make those around him better. He's very much a Malkin-lite.
And I've seen him in 2 other games where he didn,t racked a points and showed that he was everything BUT Malkin.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Perhaps the Habs should consider drafting Teuvo Teravainen in the first round and Andreas Athanasiou in the second round. Then TT could say he drafted a little TT and AA.

Teuvo looked very good at the recent 5 Nations tourney - don't be surprised if he climbs the draft rankings.
They both have skill to burn no doubt about that but they will need at least 4-5 years to gain enough weight in muscle or they will be pushed around.I wonder how much their skill can change that forecast?

Old
02-15-2012, 03:54 PM
S Bah

Quote:
A lot of moves that remind me of Mario Lemeiux more than Mr. Perimeter Zherdev,or Mr. Long Gone Filatov.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
le_sean

I'm hoping the Habs get another 1st rounder this year. I'd like to see them take a chance on Slater Koekkoek. He's bound to drop because of a season ending injury, but he's a promising all around defenceman with a good frame.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
A lot of moves that remind me of Mario Lemeiux more than Mr. Perimeter Zherdev,or Mr. Long Gone Filatov.
Interesting. Haven't seen him play live so I defer to those who have, but from what I've seen of him on the videos, when people were comparing him to Malkin, I like you thought he reminded me more of Lemieux.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
S Bah

When looking at the Habs winning % through this season Oct..454,Nov..500,Dec..321 Jan..500 and so far Feb..562 the extra point earned last night against Boston gave the Habs a record above .500 for the month to date.I'm not saying it's a smart thing trying to make the playoffs with that record,making sure that next season you go with winners is what they appear to be doing.Thus the reason for sitting Eller,but having him go in cold for the shootout is a bit much. The team has to play three teams out of the next four games that beat them after the All-Star break.Buffalo 3-1 then NJ 5-3 and the Capitals 3-0 it doesn't look to promising for them making the .500 this month,and the last time they played Tampa and Florida back to back they lost both.So let's hope they beat Dallas in their only game this year.The odds are looking like the Habs will be drafting in a lottery position if they play as they have the rest of the year.Go Habs Go!

Last edited by S Bah: 02-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Et le But

Grigorenko is less physical than Malkin from what I've seen. He's also much slower.

That doesn't mean he's afraid of contact or anything, but it means people who think he's a power forward because he's tall are going to be disappointed. I see a lot of Thornton and Yashin in him - if he has the right attitude he won't bust, but I just don't see Malkin.

Not that it matters because we aren't drafting 2nd, but I'm convinced this board's Grigorenko love is more based on where he plays/who he plays for.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Grigorenko is less physical than Malkin from what I've seen. He's also much slower.

That doesn't mean he's afraid of contact or anything, but it means people who think he's a power forward because he's tall are going to be disappointed. I see a lot of Thornton and Yashin in him - if he has the right attitude he won't bust, but I just don't see Malkin.

Not that it matters because we aren't drafting 2nd, but I'm convinced this board's Grigorenko love is more based on where he plays/who he plays for.
I don't think anyone is calling Grigorenko a power forward,big yes but a wizard with the puck on his stick.The defencemen will be backing off from him when he's got the puck,if the Habs are lucky enough to score Grigorenko,they will have their best offensive player since the "Flower" Lafleur.Take into account what he's had to do coming into the CHL in his rookie season and he's younger than Yakupov.As for where he plays I'm sure you're right all our fans want him to play for Montreal in Quebec,and he seems to flourish in the QMJHL,I can't imagine how well he would play given two years in Quebec for the Red Devils/Remparts.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-16-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Closed Thread