HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Kids and summer AAA hockey questions

Old
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
johnny1976

vCash: 500
Kids and summer AAA hockey questions

Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody has any feedback that has had their kids play in a summer AAA league. My son was asked to tryout for 2 of these AAA teams and I was doing some research and it's pretty expensive. Just wanted peoples opinions, who had kids play in these leagues, to see if its worth it or not.

Also are these teams more about winning or is it about skill development? I really want my son to have fun, but still work on developing his skills.

Thanks in advance.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post
Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody has any feedback that has had their kids play in a summer AAA league. My son was asked to tryout for 2 of these AAA teams and I was doing some research and it's pretty expensive. Just wanted peoples opinions, who had kids play in these leagues, to see if its worth it or not.

Also are these teams more about winning or is it about skill development? I really want my son to have fun, but still work on developing his skills.

Thanks in advance.
if your son likes/loves playing hockey then it is worth the $$ to me. They get a chance to play with kids they wouldnt normally play with and every program we have been a part of has had excellent coaching. it is expensive usually 300-400 more than a regular season but they are exposed to full ice and my son loved summer hockey.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
johnny1976

CornKicker,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my son loves hockey, he watches the nhl network over cartoons. However, I just want to make sure that if I am spending all this money on a AAA team, he will get skill development and great coaching.

His regular association is big on skill development, but isn't really working with the kids. His team has 6 coaches on the ice (granted one is a goalie coach) and they all sit there and talk and will not correct a kid when he isn't doing something right. An example: there was one of my son's friends out there that kept loosing the puck when doing cone drills. Not one of the coaches out there stopped him and showed him how to roll his wrists to make the stick cup the puck. I showed him when my son and him skated on my backyard rink and he hasn't lost a puck yet going around a cone. So I am a little worried about the coaching.

Also worried about a win at all cost mentality.

I guess as long a he is having fun and developing and getting coached instead of watched it will be worth it.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Nbr-17

I don't know where you are located, but in Ontario there is no summer hockey league.
What there is is spring/summer hockey which are solely tournament teams.
These teams are put together by individuals whose agenda is to get $$$ out of the people.
If you are looking for development you are better off puttiung your son in some weekly skills or skating sessions.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote