HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer sheet Shea Weber?

Old
02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Offer sheet Shea Weber?

Cost: Two first-round picks, a second and third
Expected contract: 8 years @ 7 million ish

Would Nashville match? Probably. If you think about what it would take to get Weber via trade it is Schenn, first, Gus, +++. Offer sheet cost is not too bad, assuming those first round picks are in the bottom 5-10 of the first round, it is worth it for your franchise D-man.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Kaktus*

Preds will match.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

nope, no way, we have a better shot at trading for him instead of throwing an offer sheet his way. Both are slim

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Cost: Two first-round picks, a second and third
Expected contract: 8 years @ 7 million ish

Would Nashville match? Probably. If you think about what it would take to get Weber via trade it is Schenn, first, Gus, +++. Offer sheet cost is not too bad, assuming those first round picks are in the bottom 5-10 of the first round, it is worth it for your franchise D-man.
You can't know anything about the compensation, the salary cap will be different and the CBA will be different.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
You can't know anything about the compensation, the salary cap will be different and the CBA will be different.
I would imagine that would stay about the same. As far as I know neither side (management or players) has any problem with the compensation for signing an RFA.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would imagine that would stay about the same. As far as I know neither side (management or players) has any problem with the compensation for signing an RFA.
The compensation is directly bound to the midpoint between salary cap and floor, if the midpoint goes up, the compensation borders go up, if the midpoint goes down, the borders go down ... if the change anything about the cap, the compensation is changed too.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
The compensation is directly bound to the midpoint between salary cap and floor, if the midpoint goes up, the compensation borders go up, if the midpoint goes down, the borders go down ... if the change anything about the cap, the compensation is changed too.
If anything, that benefits us. It went up last year to 7.8 per to cost 4 firsts. The cap is supposed to go up, so it might be 8 per for that. Either way, the "VERY" likely cost is what I stated. No?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
The players want it lower, and RFA earlier... etc., but it's highly unlikely that they will get it.

Basically, if you're trying to figure out who stands where, assume the players always want free agency earlier and freer, and owners later and less free.

Quote:
That's about the levels, but the whole is, technically, up for revision.

My sense, though, is that this isn't a high priority for the players--there are simply not enough young star players adversely affected by the RFA system to make it a major issue (relative to the larger number of veteran players / ELCs).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
If anything, that benefits us. It went up last year to 7.8 per to cost 4 firsts. The cap is supposed to go up, so it might be 8 per for that. Either way, the "VERY" likely cost is what I stated. No?
It will be a new CBA, they may change it completely .... I don't think that the NHLPA likes it as it is, it isn't used very often and good players are still without contract all offseason.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Yeah but it would stay roughly the same. If the cap goes up (which I think everyone is assuming it will), the compensation for Weber will still likely be the two firsts, a second, and a third. He is going to be in that 2nd tier of compensation range regardless of what those numbers are. If the cap goes up drastically, his contract will likely follow. I don't think the cap is going to go down so I doubt his new contract would either. Right now the top tier is close to $8 million. I don't see him getting that much at this point and if the cap goes up and those tiers shift upward, I don't think his contract will go up by much more than the proportion than the cap goes up, thus keeping him in that second tier.

The only way it is really going to change is if they overhaul the entire system, which is possible being that there is a new CBA coming, but like I said, from what I can tell neither side has any issue with the compensation for RFAs.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yeah but it would stay roughly the same. If the cap goes up (which I think everyone is assuming it will), the compensation for Weber will still likely be the two firsts, a second, and a third. He is going to be in that 2nd tier of compensation range regardless of what those numbers are. If the cap goes up drastically, his contract will likely follow. I don't think the cap is going to go down so I doubt his new contract would either. Right now the top tier is close to $8 million. I don't see him getting that much at this point and if the cap goes up and those tiers shift upward, I don't think his contract will go up by much more than the proportion than the cap goes up, thus keeping him in that second tier.

The only way it is really going to change is if they overhaul the entire system, which is possible being that there is a new CBA coming, but like I said, from what I can tell neither side has any issue with the compensation for RFAs.
I think you are right that Weber's cap hit will likely end up there, but wrong in implying that a team can pay that price and get him.

I think that as long as Weber's base cap hit is in that range, he will be in Nashville next year. The only way a team could pry him away via offer sheet is to make a much larger per-year offer.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I'm not too sure if I'd want to offer sheet a player on Nashville and totally burn bridges with them. Philly and Nashville are prime trading partners and have built a relationship.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I think you are right that Weber's cap hit will likely end up there, but wrong in implying that a team can pay that price and get him.

I think that as long as Weber's base cap hit is in that range, he will be in Nashville next year. The only way a team could pry him away via offer sheet is to make a much larger per-year offer.
Well yeah I wasn't necessarily saying that the Flyers could get him for that price, I was just talking about the compensation if he was acquired for that price etc.

Old
02-15-2012, 04:15 PM
kicksave27

Homer basically started this whole rights for a pick thing with nashville, and it was a high pick, so in my book, they kinda owe the flyers a little. I'm going to assume homer is going to trade a 2nd for the negotiating rights for suter. If they don't get suter, they'll basically know what the market value for a top pair D will be, and nashville will already have their 2nd round pick. If webber is going to be too costly for nashville, try to trade(in which case webber can be offered sheeted once we get him as well i think), or tell them not to match offer offer sheet, and trade jvr & gus/bourdon to nash for our firsts back. It's like a sign & trade. This way nash gets players back, which they might not from other teams. Though there's really no way of knowing which teams will submit a sheet. Either way, If i'm homer, I'd have nashville on speed dial 1.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote