HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Could the Flyers be interested in Nash?

Old
02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Mr. Elliott Friedman gives us his take on the Nash scenario.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...lications.html

That is the part that caught my attention, but he also said that it makes sense for them to wait til the off-season to deal Nash.

The Flyers really could make Nash and his cap hit work only if they retool the defense next year and move some players like Mez or coburn for more stay at home defenders. at least that's my opinion anyway.

If Lavy stays, you won't be wanting stay at home defenders on this team because they then won't be stay at home defenders. We get players to play in this system, not players to play how they are best fitted.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well, the ONLY thing, and I do mean "only," thing that makes sense about us acquiring Nash is that it would very easily free up assets to acquire a defenseman.

With Nash, we don't need to rely on vanRiemsdyk, Voracek, Read, and Simmonds as much. It makes at least one of them expendable.

Unfortunately, you've already used those assets to acquire Nash, which puts you back into a significant problem. All you did was increase your cap payroll without any real weighty benefits since your defense isn't improved. Maybe with the departure of Bob it's even fallen apart.

Honestly, if you can move Bryzgalov + 1st + top prospect not named Schenn or Couturier for Nash you do it.
Anything else is just pointless. We're spinning wheels in mid air.
I can't imagine Columbus would be drooling over Bryzgalov as a centerpiece to a deal. Voracek is a been there done that for them as well. I wonder if Hartnell would be a guy to go the other way. The Flyers have to send salary the other way.

Read should interest them, he's cheap and can play in all situations. Simmonds is another guy who should interest them. Problem is, they are so effective for what their cap hit is that it probably makes more sense to just pass on Nash.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
PJStock*

Would you take Nash if this were the package offered? Supposedly Columbus is looking for a young, potential #1 goaltender.

To CBJ:

Bobrovsky
2012 1st round pick
Meszaros

Would open up even a greater gap on defense, but you might be able to fill it with Gill/Grossman for the rest of the season, and then you have Carle and Gill/Grossman coming off the books to pursue replacements in the offseason.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Hypothetically, if Bob is dealt, who is the backup? Leighton? Bachashuauauauaua? Trade for Boucher?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Would you take Nash if this were the package offered? Supposedly Columbus is looking for a young, potential #1 goaltender.

To CBJ:

Bobrovsky
2012 1st round pick
Meszaros

Would open up even a greater gap on defense, but you might be able to fill it with Gill/Grossman for the rest of the season, and then you have Carle and Gill/Grossman coming off the books to pursue replacements in the offseason.
In a heartbeat, but I doubt they would do it. Maybe two firsts with that they would do it

Old
02-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post

To CBJ:

Bobrovsky
2012 1st round pick
Meszaros

Don't think Columbus would take just that for Nash.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
COLUMBUS DISPATCH: Aaron Portzline reports Rick Nash’s agent claims the Blue Jackets contacted him this past weekend to determine if he’d be willing to waive his movement clause to facilitate a trade. Among the teams believed interested in Nash are the NY Rangers, Los Angeles, San Jose, Toronto and Montreal. It’s believed the Jackets could seek “a combination of young, proven players, high-end prospects and draft picks in return”, but Portzline reports trades of such magnitude have sketchy histories, pointing to the poor returns of the Joe Thornton, Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk trades, which didn’t work out for the clubs trading those players.
They did not mention Flyers.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...r-rebuild.html

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
bryzgalovsky*

why are people even talking about giving up a defenseman

seriously people

seriously

you want:

Timonen Carle
Coburn Bourdon
Lilja Gustafsson

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
flyersfan187

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

seriously people

seriously

you want:

Timonen Carle
Coburn Bourdon
Lilja Gustafsson
We would trade for another D. Plus our D's have looked weak this year because our forwards don't like to play D and in this system they have to or it falls apart.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
good

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:34 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
People are dumb.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

seriously people

seriously

you want:

Timonen Carle
Coburn Bourdon
Lilja Gustafsson
I think the idea is you give up a guy like Mez and use his $4 mil or whatever it clears up to somehow bring in some new guys (trading JVR, picks, etc). Not sure it would exactly work that way, but in theory that would be the plan.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hypothetically, if Bob is dealt, who is the backup? Leighton? Bachashuauauauaua? Trade for Boucher?
Leighton would be a good back-up, but I'm not sure what his situation would be with re-entry waivers and what not.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:37 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I can't imagine Columbus would be drooling over Bryzgalov as a centerpiece to a deal. Voracek is a been there done that for them as well. I wonder if Hartnell would be a guy to go the other way. The Flyers have to send salary the other way.

Read should interest them, he's cheap and can play in all situations. Simmonds is another guy who should interest them. Problem is, they are so effective for what their cap hit is that it probably makes more sense to just pass on Nash.
Hartnell is 29. Voracek was a fan favorite. He also liked playing there, or at least said that he did.

JVR-Voracek-Bob for Nash-Sanford.

Maybe they could get a dman like Nikitin as well. Tyutin is probably off limits for now. Actually, I hope it's Tyutin the Flyers are after, and not Nash.

Voracek is a RFA, and likely to get a raise after this season. JVR and Voracek will probably cost close to what Nash does next season.

I agree that it makes more sense to pass on Nash.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Leighton would be a good back-up, but I'm not sure what his situation would be with re-entry waivers and what not.
We'd probably be able to get one of the (bad-awful) options out of Columbus if we moved Bobrovsky.

JVR + Bob + 2nd is probably closer to value than some of the other packages here--if JVR was healthy. Nash + Sanford back (though I don't know how long he's hurt for).

Dunno. If you could guarantee me that we would be able to get Suter in the offseason, then I'd easily pass, but if we strike out there, I'm afraid we will just blow 5 million on another 3/4 defenseman.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
PJStock*

I'm not necessarily saying that I would trade for Nash, but look, the Flyers obviously are having a terrible time at team defense recently. It doesn't look like a Grossman/Gill type will do anything more than patch up a little bit of the problems. Would Grossman and Gill over Meszaros and a rook really make that much of a difference? That's why you should play to the teams strengths. We know that Lavy can't much up against the NYR in terms of strategy, so why not just try and blow them away with top end talent? I think that is the only way to beat them. Nash getting fed by Giroux might do it.

You ship out Bobrovsky, maybe try and get Sanford back from CBJ, ship out Meszaros who CBJ might like to try out and who might do better in a smaller market, perhaps add in JVR rather than the 1st rounder.

It's Nash's call where he wants to go, so that will likely keep CBJ from getting the best possible deal out there.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Hartnell is 29. Voracek was a fan favorite. He also liked playing there, or at least said that he did.

Maybe they could get a dman like Nikitin as well. Tyutin is probably off limits for now. Actually, I hope it's Tyutin the Flyers are after, and not Nash.

Voracek is a RFA, and likely to get a raise after this season. JVR and Voracek will probably cost close to what Nash does next season.

You can also add Hartnell has a NTC and any sane human would use it if they were being offered to Columbus.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post

**** no to the bold.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
cheesesteak

I hope we don't. We could use a winger for G, but not at 7.8 million(unless it's Malkin/Crosby/arguably best player in the world type player). Nash doesn't have one season over 80 points(one season over 70), and he's payed like a consistent 100 point player.

We also might have a scoring winger for Giroux in JVR. This season has sucked with injuries, and I wouldn't pass judgement on him yet. It's not like were desperate for offense this season, so we can wait to see how JVR develops. We already have a good offense, and a potential top line 30-40 goal winger.

cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Kaktus*

I hope we move Briere/Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky/Read and 1st for him. (basically a pipe dream)

Old
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
turkinaa

I would like to get Nash, but only if Brzy could be moved in a deal to get him and Mason. I still have high hopes for the guy and he's the same age as Bob. Maybe playing someplace else will get him back on the right track. I don't think Nash will be coming here, or for that matter any trades with the Blue Jackets after that Carter deal.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
duffy9748

If you can do mez+bob+1st+1st/2nd you do it in a heartbeat. We'd have so many assets to deal for a good dman and it wouldn't hurt our offense in the least.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I hope we move Briere/Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky/Read and 1st for him. (basically a pipe dream)
Briere will finish his contract as a Flyer. His NMC literally makes his job equally as safe as Sniders.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Briere will finish his contract as a Flyer. His NMC literally makes his job equally as safe as Sniders.
Really? You must be his X wife.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
BrindamoursNose

People are out of their minds if they think giving up a defenseman like Mez for ANOTHER forward is smart. I just wish this rumor would die.

I love how people are so stringent about giving up that much for a Suter/Weber but when they hear Rick Nash, they jump right on throwing in 1sts, 2nds, Bob, Mez, Voracek, etc.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote