HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Could the Flyers be interested in Nash?

Old
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Tim Tebow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Really? You must be his X wife.
How would you move Briere?

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:57 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
People are out of their minds if they think giving up a defenseman like Mez for ANOTHER forward is smart. I just wish this rumor would die.

I love how people are so stringent about giving up that much for a Suter/Weber but when they hear Rick Nash, they jump right on throwing in 1sts, 2nds, Bob, Mez, Voracek, etc.
I'd have no problem giving up any of these offers for Suter/Weber but they don't need Bob so you'd have to add another forward.

I like Bob but Bryz isn't going anywhere so if he's one of the main pieces wanted in a deal for Nash, I think its better to take it and then regroup and decide which forwards you deal for Weber. Even if we have to overpay it wouldn't hurt our forward depth too much.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Briere will finish his contract as a Flyer. His NMC literally makes his job equally as safe as Sniders.
It's beyond silly. Every regular season people complain that he's overpaid, but then the playoffs start and Briere puts up his usual point a game.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
It's beyond silly. Every regular season people complain that he's overpaid, but then the playoffs start and Briere puts up his usual point a game.
Welcome to HF Boards. If he scores tomorrow night people will say he's off the table. Until he goes goalless, at which point anyone can have him for anything.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
bryzgalovsky*

people call me an idiot and put me on ignore for saying bryzgalov and bobrovsky have been playing poorly

and then they go and post that we should give up a defenseman + one of the young forwards we just acquired to build this team around + a first round pick

for a forward who will probably suck in 2 years and we'll have to see posts from these same people about how he's "invisible" like briere

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Briere will finish his contract as a Flyer. His NMC literally makes his job equally as safe as Sniders.
Players are asked to waive their NTC or NMC all the time in the NHL though. If a team comes to you and says we have an offer for you, would you want to go there. That player is definitely going to feel not wanted.

I am in the boat that Briere will be a Flyer until his contract is up, but I wouldn't put a guarantee of him ending it here.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
people call me an idiot and put me on ignore for saying bryzgalov and bobrovsky have been playing poorly

and then they go and post that we should give up a defenseman + one of the young forwards we just acquired to build this team around + a first round pick

for a forward who will probably suck in 2 years and we'll have to see posts from these same people about how he's "invisible" like briere
This is why people disagree with your comments. Why will he suck in two years at the age of 29? That's the same age as Hartnell, and Nash is much much more talented that him.

You also don't say Bryz and BOB are playing poorly, you completely trash them. Even when they do play up to standards.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
This is why people disagree with your comments. Why will he suck in two years at the age of 29? That's the same age as Hartnell, and Nash is much much more talented that him.

You also don't say Bryz and BOB are playing poorly, you completely trash them. Even when they do play up to standards.
because everyone the flyers pay big money to ends up sucking or getting injured in a couple years

we have a mostly young team right now with team friendly contracts and people want to put more big contract players on the roster so we'll never have a good team again

Old
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
BillDineen

From the trade board:

"Nash has the 5th Highest Salary Cap hit in the NHL. (All players, All positions)

He's hit 70 Points once in 8 NHL seasons.

Do you really think that he is or ever was the 5th best player in the NHL?

It's a terrible contract."

I do not see how Columbus gets a decent return. If the Flyers trade for him, I will be pissed. His cap hit will prevent any d improvement for years.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
because everyone the flyers pay big money to ends up sucking or getting injured in a couple years

we have a mostly young team right now with team friendly contracts and people want to put more big contract players on the roster so we'll never have a good team again
I wouldn't mind taking a run at Nash, but not mortgaging the future. JVR would be one player I would put into the trade.

Nash won't come here and suck, thats just a ridiculous way to think. He wont be our captain either so he will be safe. Nash is still young and in his prime. If he was put with giroux, the guy could have a career year and nobody would worry about that salary. It can work either way, and I tend to side on the GM's and other NHL people who say Rick Nash would improve any team greatly because of his talent.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
How would you move Briere?
I said it was a pipe dream. Did you miss it?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Kaktus*

If you compare Nash stats to Gaborik you will see that Nash may very well deserve his contract and not really overpaid. Considering that Gaborik was playing on a much better team in Minnesota. At least Wild were making to playoffs and Gaborik was surrounded by players that were good/decent at some point: Demitra, Koivu, Rolston when he was 30 goal scorer, Bouchard, Burns, Backstrom used to be decent too.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

You guys have to understand that great players are just that, great players. Not great teams. These players thrive because they can help great players and others help them in return. That's how incredible seasons happen. If Nash comes here, expect big points. In Columbus he can't play 60 minutes a night.

That being said, I don't want that contract.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:10 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

If we get him, and somehow Pronger is able to return next season...Jagr won't be able to return, and Carle will have to take a discount to return, which I think we all know is unlikely.

I'd LOVE to see Nash here, but the price scares me a bit, and the salary scares me a ton.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
BringBackStevens

Someone tell me what the point of acquiring Nash is?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
bryzgalovsky*

BREAKING NEWS: hockey media members notice flyers have a lot of damn good young players, decide to suggest flyers as possible candidates in every speculated trade

Old
02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Flyerfan4life

why are we even considering a guy like Nash when its Defense we need ???

sure some nights we dont score enuf, but i dont think anything other then a stay at home solid Dman should be what we sign..

anything else is a mistake..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:19 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Nash would make a good puck moving D man....

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Players are asked to waive their NTC or NMC all the time in the NHL though. If a team comes to you and says we have an offer for you, would you want to go there. That player is definitely going to feel not wanted.

I am in the boat that Briere will be a Flyer until his contract is up, but I wouldn't put a guarantee of him ending it here.
That is true but you still see players fight this. Kaberle was asked to waive his years ago and refused to. Sundin did the same thing. Dan Boyle who had a NTC in Tampa was asked to also but refused and they literally threatened to put him on waivers were he would likely have ended up on the Thrashers at the time.

Obviously I don't know Briere personally but when you consider the following...

- Rejected the Sabres who would not offer a long term deal.
- Rejected the Habs who offered more money at a cap hit of 7 million to 8.1 million per season.
- Took the longer contract with the NMC in Philadelphia and did admit he liked what the organization was doing as well as how the length was important to him.
- Has limited contact with the front office on a regular basis.
- Has friends on the team and likely in the area unrelated to hockey.
- Has a few teenage sons, most kids don't like leaving there friends and girlfriends to start over.

So even if the front office asked him to waive it you have to wonder if he would listen to someone he has limited contact with over his own immediate situation involving himself and those directly involved in his life.

Plus players with those clauses sometimes kill there own value because only a few teams can even bid for them, like when we pushed Gagne out the door Tampa Bay was the only team that was biding on him so there was no value on Gagne. Or like what happened with Heatley when he refused to go to Edmonton and in general left a very limited biding market.

IMO the only way Briere waives his NMC is if he is in the final year of his contract and still wants to play hockey and get a new contract the next year but is being buried in the depth chart kind of like Knuble this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I said it was a pipe dream. Did you miss it?
Nope. You were complaining about my comment on Briere finishing his contract as a Flyer.

My question is what makes you think Briere will not finish his contract here? And how do you think they will move him?

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Damaged Goods

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed forward Rick Nash to a 7 year, $54.6 million dollar contract...

How would this news make you feel?

Then add in the players the Flyers would have to give up. This would not make sense to me, unless it was a serious low-ball offer (and that's not going to happen).

If Flyers management is really spending any time tending to this situation, I doubt it's with any other intent than to jack up the price for the Rangers.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
ilovetheflyers8

never mind

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:20 PM
SilkyMitts

Eklund Hockey Buzz Eklund
"Just to repeat what I said in the blog..this is not a rumor, but rather was told me directly, "The Flyers are not in on the Nash sweeps."

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
"Just to repeat what I said in the blog..this is not a rumor, but rather was told me directly, "The Flyers are not in on the Nash sweeps."
And now, since this is what people want to hear, everyone will believe him. If he said "hearing the Flyers are in on Nash..." everyone would say BS he doesn't have a clue.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
SilkyMitts

well. it makes sense.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote