HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Buy Low for Carter or Break Bank for Nash?

View Poll Results: Buy Low for Carter or Break Bank for Nash?
Buy Low for Carter 90 53.25%
Break Bank for Nash 43 25.44%
Neither 36 21.30%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
mcleex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundinOurOnlyChance View Post
Then we need to get rid of half our team.
Agreed

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:03 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
Kyle Turris lost quite a bit of status by 21, and he was a higher pick than Kadri was.

If any of you are confused by this, ask the subforum of another team what they think about Kadri's value at this point.
I'll be extremely happy if he develops into a Sam Gagner at this point, and I think that's all we can really ask for. I think the Tony Amonte, Derek Roy, Claude Giroux days are over for Nazem.

Anyway, as for the thread, neither should be acquired. We shouldn't perpetuate this kind of thinking throughout the fanbase either.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Neither, but if we do please don't trade Gardiner.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

I know this will not be a popular opinion to some fans, but I would trade Kessel for Nash straight up.. Would that be considered breaking the bank?

Last 3 seasons + Current goals scored.

Nash (40, 33, 32 + 18) = 123 goals
Kessel (36, 30, 32 + 30) = 128 goals

Leafs get a bigger, stronger more physical presence (all things they need) to build around for about the same amount of goal production. Kessel's next contract after next season will balance out to Nash contract now, no longer making cap hit a consideration factor in this case.

Going up against big strong teams like Boston, Philly and NYR would make Nash far more effective and valuable a player for Leafs to have to compete.

That's only my opinion of course.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Carter would be a better fit for us.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I know this will not be a popular opinion to some fans, but I would trade Kessel for Nash straight up.. Would that be considered breaking the bank?

Leafs get a bigger, stronger more physical presence (all things they need) to build around for about the same amount of goal production.

Going up against big strong teams like Boston, Philly and NYR would make Nash far more effective and valuable a player for Leafs to have to compete.

One of the rare times I agree with you. Also cap wise, it would be less of a headache to move salary the other way in a move for Nash rather then mostly picks, prospects.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
bozaksniffles*

i'd do kessel for nash if i was either team

bozaksniffles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
One of the rare times I agree with you. Also cap wise, it would be less of a headache to move salary the other way in a move for Nash rather then mostly picks, prospects.
After next season Kessel's next contract will be similar to Rick Nash now, so Cap hit per player will not be an issue too much longer.

02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozaksniffles View Post
i'd do kessel for nash if i was either team
Well we all know that is never going to happen, seeing as how Burke's ego and probably reputation is forever stamped in Kessel's performance in Toronto.

Quite a few 2nd and 9th overall draft picks have won Stanley Cups, but Burke is seeking to prove that it is better to do away with that line of thinking.

He has to let his little trial run experiment play out.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Nitrock

Neither, Nash is to expensive and if we get Carter I would rather just keep Grabo and I don't want both because we need room for Colborne and crew.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Well we all know that is never going to happen, seeing as how Burke's ego and probably reputation is forever stamped in Kessel's performance in Toronto.

Quite a few 2nd and 9th overall draft picks have won Stanley Cups, but Burke is seeking to prove that it is better to do away with that line of thinking.

Brian Burke isn't as simple minded as you are implying.

Even if he is, and his whole professional life is actually a giant pissing contest, his "trial experiment" fetching Rick Nash in return is not exactly declaring the experiment a failure.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Canadian Game

Well then...I didn't realize Carter's contract goes to 2022 when I voted to "Buy low for Carter". With that said I prefer neither option.

Canadian Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Leafs get a bigger, stronger more physical presence (all things they need) to build around for about the same amount of goal production. Kessel's next contract after next season will balance out to Nash contract now, no longer making cap hit a consideration factor in this case.

Agreed...said same thing on another thread.
Maybe we include Komisarek in the deal, to balance the cap numbers until Kessel needs a new deal.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

Rick Nash in a Maple Leaf uniform - Is it a good idea?

By Steve Minakakis

News broke on Tuesday that Rick Nash is willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to a short list of teams. Rick Nash is under contract until the end of the 2017-18 season. His cap hit is $7.8M per season. The list is suuposedly five teams or less, and as for Canadian teams, it has been reported that the Canucks, and the Leafs, are somewhat in the run. The problem for both teams is that they are right against the salary cap.

The price the Blue Jackets have put on Nash is three or four good young players. According to TSN, a deal that would move Nash to the Maple Leafs would invovle Jake Gardiner and another two or three good young players.

READ MORE....
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/SM0033.php

OurHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:36 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Agreed...said same thing on another thread.
Maybe we include Komisarek in the deal, to balance the cap numbers until Kessel needs a new deal.
Kessel re-signing in Columbus is unlikely and probably something that Columbus would consider.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:

Burke's ego didnt stop him trading Beauchemin 18 months after signing him or dealing Versteeg the same year he acquired him.

Players like Nash rarely come available and the truth is, we really dont know how much he wants out of Columbus. Kessel has been great this year and would be a shame to see him leave, but Nash is one of the few players I would look at ALL options if he is available.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:

Schenn - 5th overall
Kessel - 5th overall
Phaneuf - 9th overall
Lupul - 7th overall
Kadri - 7th overall
Colborne 16th overall

and for ***** and giggles:

Tim Connolly - 5th overall

But hey, don't let facts get in your way... yet again.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Jeff Carter solves our most glaring need despite the recent play of Bozak. The length of Carter's contract is the only thing ppl don't like,but his cap hit is managable and he would add an element to our top line that we've been missing - SIZE. Burke doesn't seem to be a big fan of long term contracts, but I would make Carter an exception. I would be thrilled to have Nash, but Carter can be had for much less and actually fills the teams primary need.

Last edited by AtotheT: 02-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

NO ****ING WAY I TRADE GARDINER, no ****ING WAY, ESPECIALLY FOR NASH.

WHY WOULD ANYONE TRADE GARDINER, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO NO

NO

NO

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:46 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
Burke's ego didnt stop him trading Beauchemin 18 months after signing him or dealing Versteeg the same year he acquired him.

Players like Nash rarely come available and the truth is, we really dont know how much he wants out of Columbus. Kessel has been great this year and would be a shame to see him leave, but Nash is one of the few players I would look at ALL options if he is available.
I will tell you right now with 100% confidence that we will not trade Kessel unless he screws us over when he wants a new contract.

Trading Beuach and Versteeg wouldn't even compare to a colossal backpedalling like trading Kessel.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
Schenn - 5th overall
Kessel - 5th overall
Phaneuf - 9th overall
Lupul - 7th overall
Kadri - 7th overall
Colborne 16th overall

and for ***** and giggles:

Tim Connolly - 5th overall

But hey, don't let facts get in your way... yet again.
Yeah those were all traded for, except Schenn, and Kadri and Colborne are not even on the team.

And you want to talk to me about facts.

Since the new CBA and salary cap, what team has won a Cup with a traded-for players like Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, and Connolly? Run along and tell me what you find.

Old
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Kessel re-signing in Columbus is unlikely and probably something that Columbus would consider.
Valid point. But isn't Columbus likely going to have this problem with any high-end player they try to re-sign?

Old
PresidentCamacho*

Sorry Connolly was a UFA, not traded-for.

Old
02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I would buy low on Carter. Even if it is not to play with Kessel, it gives us a legitimate 1st line center that pot 40 goals. Besides, all great teams in the league have excellent depth at center which Leafs do not. His size, speed and 2-way game is a good fit for the team.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yeah those were all traded for, except Schenn, and Kadri and Colborne are not even on the team.

And you want to talk to me about facts.

Since the new CBA and salary cap, what team has won a Cup with a traded-for players like Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, and Connolly? Run along and tell me what you find.
The fact they were traded for makes no difference. They're still talented individuals who were drafted highly. Difference is that we didn't have the majority of them on ELCs. But how many guys have won Conn Smythe's on an ELC?

Your spin machine has quite the mileage.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote