HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grigs vs. Beaulieu and the Dogs this Friday on SNet (7:00 PM, Friday Night Hockey)

Old
02-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Issacar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Laughing at people who thinks grigo is a ghost. First of all, in the WJC, he played limited minutes with a limited role because of his ankle injuries and being a young center, the most important position on the ice. Make no mistakes, if Yakupov was a center, he'd never play on the first line last tournament. Anyway back to Grigo. Every time i see him play in Québec, the puck always ends up on his stick. As much as people wants to see him as a ghost, he is always right around the puck and pretty good using his frame along the boards.

edit: can't say for sure he will be dominant in the NHL as this is hardly an exact science for most of the players, But he is clearly more in the malkin/spezza mold than the filatov/voracek/kostitsyn/ mold
I could understand if you were putting Yakupov and Malkin and Yakupov in the same sentence. But lol Grigorenko does not fall in that category at all. He was a ghost both times he came to Blainville-Boisbriand and most of the big matchup in the Rempart season so far he hasn't showed up either. It's something to say that he's a good player when the Remparts win 7-1 against a bottom opponent. It's entirely something else when he's scoreless against a top profile team.

If you have an ankle injury and can't play, what are you doing in the line up? Helping the opponent win the game?

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
I could understand if you were putting Yakupov and Malkin and Yakupov in the same sentence. But lol Grigorenko does not fall in that category at all. He was a ghost both times he came to Blainville-Boisbriand and most of the big matchup in the Rempart season so far he hasn't showed up either. It's something to say that he's a good player when the Remparts win 7-1 against a bottom opponent. It's entirely something else when he's scoreless against a top profile team.

If you have an ankle injury and can't play, what are you doing in the line up? Helping the opponent win the game?
Most of these kids only gets to play once at this tournament. Plus, he was taking minutes effectively he just couldn't prove himself. He did not hurt his team chances. Consistency is something to be worked on but maybe he just has bad games against l''Armada? Small sample. I remember a night in Rimouski or Chicoutimi, they were baldy outplayed but he still had the lonely goal of the Remparts and the shootout winner. I do not follow the Remparts sacrilegiously like the Habs but i do know that since Grigo had a slump, the whole ship is sinking. He caries his team offence night in and night out. Plus, he's god damn good on the half boards on the powerplay.

By the way i said mold, learn to read. Yakupov's game is clearly not like the one of Malkin/Spezza/Getzlav/, more like Ovechkin's/Skinner's kind of game. On the other hand, Grigorenko's game looks alot like Malkin's/Spezza's game. Only time will tell if he will be good in the NHL.

Last edited by domdo345: 02-15-2012 at 02:31 PM.
domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Obviously, it was only "ifs", and nothing more.

I'll name you one : Cody Ceci.

Yeah, we were lucky to pick Beaulieu, but the guy really, but really needs much developpement in order to reach is potential, which is a #2 at the very best and a #3 on a very good team.

Besides -- aside from skating, what's the big difference between Morgan Ellis and Nathan Beaulieu?
You've got to be kidding.

(1) Cody Ceci has never made a bad decision? What are you, his little brother???

(2) I like Morgan Ellis, but seriously... Morgan Ellis and Nathan Beaulieu are very different types of defensemen, like comparing apples to oranges. Beaulieu has a very high potential ceiling (like Subban as another poster noted), while Ellis doesn't have anywhere near being 'game-changing' potential. He's a steady stay-at-home Dman, which are not that hard to find at the pro level.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

#1 reason why Grigorenko is going to be a stars he made Frederic Roy look like an freaking all stars all year long i cannot believe Roy has 70pts in 52gm

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Beaulieu showing his puck skills already.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Just read that Roy got fined for pulling a Tortorella on the league's commissioner

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:22 PM
patsbury

For what is worth

Kathleen Lavoie
@kathleenlavoie
Trevor Timmins et Serge Boisvert du Canadien sont tous les deux présents au match Sea Dogs/Remparts.

Both Timmins and Boisvert at this game

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
For what is worth

Kathleen Lavoie
@kathleenlavoie
Trevor Timmins et Serge Boisvert du Canadien sont tous les deux présents au match Sea Dogs/Remparts.

2 birds...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Scotianhab

Grigs just made a nice little pass for Duclair's goal.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:42 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

How did Grigorenko and Beaulieau play?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:28 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
How did Grigorenko and Beaulieau play?
Watched the game. Grigorenko was pretty good. I say pretty good, but he was actually a huge force. Completes plays, no matter what the pressure or coverage. I thought he looked a bit awkward sometimes doing it, but he almost never "messed up" a play, and just constantly seems involved in creating pressure. Jurco, though... man... looked like the most skilled player on the ice for both teams by far. His hands have to be among the best... of any age. That from behind, through the legs/kick puck up to his stick juke to get around that defender and buy space to pass to an open Huberdeau alone in front (2nd period? Huberdeau was stopped by a pad on the play) was just so slick and effortless looking.

Beaulieu looked alright, but there was one goal where he was pretty lazy making his way back to the crease to cover after the puck never made it all the way up and out on his side. Guy can definitely move a puck (and crack it), I just hope he doesn't make a habit of pursuing the puck in the defensive zone by gliding around. Guilty of getting a bit complacent by times on a strong team? Again, hope not.

And yeah, Sportnet confirmed that Timmins was there, presumably to see Beaulieu. Too bad, as it seemed to me like a pretty average game from Beaulieu.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:30 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
My main gripe with Grigorenko is that, while he's extremely skilled, he often fails to have an impact on the game as a whole. Game-breaking without game-controlling.
This comment rings true after last night's game. I kept an eye on him last night, and while you can tell he is skilled, he had little impact on the game as a whole.

Old
02-18-2012, 07:54 AM
onice

I watched some of the game and I was really impressed by that Duclair kid. He's only 16 but if he continues to develop I see a top notch player in him.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Watched the game. Grigorenko was pretty good. I say pretty good, but he was actually a huge force. Completes plays, no matter what the pressure or coverage. I thought he looked a bit awkward sometimes doing it, but he almost never "messed up" a play, and just constantly seems involved in creating pressure. Jurco, though... man... looked like the most skilled player on the ice for both teams by far. His hands have to be among the best... of any age. That from behind, through the legs/kick puck up to his stick juke to get around that defender and buy space to pass to an open Huberdeau alone in front (2nd period? Huberdeau was stopped by a pad on the play) was just so slick and effortless looking.

Beaulieu looked alright, but there was one goal where he was pretty lazy making his way back to the crease to cover after the puck never made it all the way up and out on his side. Guy can definitely move a puck (and crack it), I just hope he doesn't make a habit of pursuing the puck in the defensive zone by gliding around. Guilty of getting a bit complacent by times on a strong team? Again, hope not.

And yeah, Sportnet confirmed that Timmins was there, presumably to see Beaulieu. Too bad, as it seemed to me like a pretty average game from Beaulieu.
Presumably to see Beaulieu? I would think his main reason for being ther was to see Grigorenko...that the club had a pick in the game was just a bonus.

Grigorenko looked lost in some defensive situations last night - I wanted to see more from a guy who may go second overall. I'm still not sold - his inconsistency scares me.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Presumably to see Beaulieu? I would think his main reason for being ther was to see Grigorenko...that the club had a pick in the game was just a bonus.

Grigorenko looked lost in some defensive situations last night - I wanted to see more from a guy who may go second overall. I'm still not sold - his inconsistency scares me.
3 of the best 1995's were playing in Duclair Ernie and Cooper.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Yeah, maybe a bad choice of words (check the hour of posting, lol). Meant to suggest the same thing to you that whoever approved his travel allowance for yesterday probably signed off on the basis of observing last year's first rounder, but had the added bonus of checking out a potential first rounder from this year.

I kind of agree with you about Grigorenko. Thing is, everything "important" (i.e. the "unteachable skills") about his game seems super solid to me. Every so often, though, I see little hiccups, but they could just be a growing 17 year old adapting to his body: coordination issues, balance/edge issues sometimes when pressured or in traffic, etc. I don't notice him "getting lost" defensively so much. Not that I haven't seen it at all, but if I think a guy looks like he's making mistakes from playing too aggressively, or over-committing on some plays, I won't judge him as harshly as someone who is playing too passively, or not committing fully to making/finishing plays... if that makes sense to you.

When you see him playing on a night where his skills AND intensity are rockin' at the same time, there's little doubt that he's a high 1st rounder, imo. And I think his inconsistencies are the sort that can be "polished" much more easily than is the case with many (most?) others. I dunno though, really, I've only caught him between a half dozen/dozen times so far, and I'm guessing as to whether it's coordination or skill "problems" I'm seeing.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:51 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
When you see him playing on a night where his skills AND intensity are rockin' at the same time, there's little doubt that he's a high 1st rounder, imo. And I think his inconsistencies are the sort that can be "polished" much more easily than is the case with many (most?) others. I dunno though, really, I've only caught him between a half dozen/dozen times so far, and I'm guessing as to whether it's coordination or skill "problems" I'm seeing.
Consistencies is one the hardest thing that can be "polished". Just look at AK 46.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Protest the Hero

I was waiting for Grigorenko to take control of the game, and it never happened. I know the Sea Dogs are a powerhouse, but Duclair managed to be noticeable pretty much the entire game.

When you're playing the best, your best players need to match theirs, and I didn't see it from him last night. Granted, I was flipping back and forth between the Habs game.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:29 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I was waiting for Grigorenko to take control of the game, and it never happened. I know the Sea Dogs are a powerhouse, but Duclair managed to be noticeable pretty much the entire game.

When you're playing the best, your best players need to match theirs, and I didn't see it from him last night. Granted, I was flipping back and forth between the Habs game.
Well, I was at the game, and had you watched the entire game you would have had the same assessment.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
#1 reason why Grigorenko is going to be a stars he made Frederic Roy look like an freaking all stars all year long i cannot believe Roy has 70pts in 52gm
When considering some scouts comparisons are Beliveau,Yakushev,Malkin etc.I don't understand how some people see the game.Mind you I have been a Habs fan for more than fifty years so I've seen lots of great hockey players.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
When considering some scouts comparisons are Beliveau,Yakushev,Malkin etc.I don't understand how some people see the game.Mind you I have been a Habs fan for more than fifty years so I've seen lots of great hockey players.
Has any scout seriously compared him to Beliveau?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
NovaScotia Habsfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
For what is worth

Kathleen Lavoie
@kathleenlavoie

They were both at the Mooseheads/Victo game on Thursday night in Halifax as well. Halifax has a few kids available in the next 2 drafts...

2012- Martin Frk W, Andrew Ryan W, Luca Ciampini W
2013- Zachary Fucale G, Jonathan Drouin W, and some Mackinnon kid C

I talked to them and Boisvert said Fucale played a great game in Baie Comeau the week before. Fucale has played amazing for the Mooseheads as a 16 year old this year.

NovaScotia Habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote