HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What would YOU do as GM?

Old
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Shane O'Brien is Andrew Alberts with an active nightlife. We've been cutting back on those....
I won't pretend like I know everything there is to know about Shane O'Brien, but looking at his contract and his numbers; I think he's an improvement. I also liked Alberts haha, although he was really bad when he first got here.

Edit:
I also want to clarify that he wouldn't be my first choice. I'm just saying, he's an option. See what's out there, play the market; if Shane O'Brien is the best you can do, so be it. He should help the bottom pairing.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:22 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
And he plays the most minutes on the league's best PK. He is literally EXACTLY what we need. He just isn't a stud. He is a guy that would marginally help each of those areas. It's not going to be some night and day change, but it's a step in the right direction; and that's why I want it to happen.
Exactly, and he SHOULD be cheap to acquire. I'm expecting him to come in and play 28 mins a night. A good 20 i'd be fine with, playing with Carle in the 2nd group.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I won't pretend like I know everything there is to know about Shane O'Brien, but looking at his contract and his numbers; I think he's an improvement. I also liked Alberts haha, although he was really bad when he first got here.

Edit:
I also want to clarify that he wouldn't be my first choice. I'm just saying, he's an option. See what's out there, play the market; if Shane O'Brien is the best you can do, so be it. He should help the bottom pairing.
Haha that's fine. As you can tell I'm completely against him. He's never been very good, though he is having a good season this year statistically. The thing that'll always stick out in my mind is him being partially to blame for the Preds series losing goal last season in the playoffs, and then hamming it up on twitter later that night with Bissonette. I don't know if hockey is his #1 priority.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I would like to add Hall Gill or Zidlicky to the list. Well honestly Kubina is better than both of them. Gill is past his prime and is SOOOO slow (like honestly, Shelly is faster than he is), while Zidlicky is worse than Carle on defense.

but Gill doesnt need to be fast if hes parked in front of our crease which is were we want him no ???

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Tim Tebow

Keep in mind beggars can't be choosers. Every bottom 4 defender will have his flaws. We can't assume a defensive group of all well rounded talented upstanding citizens.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
but Gill doesnt need to be fast if hes parked in front of our crease which is were we want him no ???
I also just find that argument to be silly. Hal Gill has been slow since he was born. This isn't some new thing for him. It's not as if he's lost his speed and has to re-invent himself. He's always been slow, and he's always played this way. He's made himself a very successful career out of it.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
There is where we as fans would want him to be and Gill would also want to stay there himself. But that isn't our system we run. In this system the D's have to be active and the forwards have to back them up when they are.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:42 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
And he plays the most minutes on the league's best PK. He is literally EXACTLY what we need. He just isn't a stud. He is a guy that would marginally help each of those areas. It's not going to be some night and day change, but it's a step in the right direction; and that's why I want it to happen.
My sentiments exactly. He is EXACTLY what we need. Him on our PK is huge. Also, as long as he is paired with a speedy guy, he is a very good #6. I like the idea of Gill-Meszaros to be honest.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
There is where we as fans would want him to be and Gill would also want to stay there himself. But that isn't our system we run. In this system the D's have to be active and the forwards have to back them up when they are.
surely Lavi is at least flexible enuf to have one crease clearer on the team..

we surely need it..

i think having him in that role could easily happen..

but wether it will or not is another thing entirely

Old
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

And of course if we don't get Gill, the Pens probably will.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
My sentiments exactly. He is EXACTLY what we need. Him on our PK is huge. Also, as long as he is paired with a speedy guy, he is a very good #6. I like the idea of Gill-Meszaros to be honest.
Yep. I think the problem is that fans always want that big splash. They want the first pairing guy on our 3rd pairing. It's not realistic. An improvement, is an improvement; even if it's "just" the PK, or "just" the 3rd pairing.

Old
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Shane O'Brien is Andrew Alberts with an active nightlife. We've been cutting back on those....
I could put up with the other O'Brien for a couple months, he's a good character player. Always liked him.

As far as Kubina goes, send the hitman for me, because he's always been a Flyer Killer, from his days as a Leaf.

We talk about Gill, Allen, Grossman, etc. but there are so many buyers, they could get pricy.

I'd be happy with two old Czech mates of Jagr: Kubina and Spacek. Don't know if we could fit their cap hits, but I've always liked them both.

Kubina to play with Carle and Spacek with Mesz. It would give us two new PP Pointmen too, to get the rookie forwards off the points.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
surely Lavi is at least flexible enuf to have one crease clearer on the team..

we surely need it..

i think having him in that role could easily happen..

but wether it will or not is another thing entirely
That is what I thought too, but then I watched OD play last season.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
That is what I thought too, but then I watched OD play last season.
Are you implying OD was bad? He was the perfect bottom pairing D-man last year. He started to tail off towards the end of the year last year but he played 81 games. The intention was never for him to play that much but he was doing so well they couldn't scratch him.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
OD was slow, but if he was able to get back and get in position he usually made the correct play.

02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
flyersfan187

Quote:
Are you implying OD was bad? He was the perfect bottom pairing D-man last year. He started to tail off towards the end of the year last year but he played 81 games. The intention was never for him to play that much but he was doing so well they couldn't scratch him.
For our system he was bad, but he is a great defensive d. I even projected him as our free agent signing that year. Though, he had to be active with his pinches way too often and for someone of his style that was not a good fit. Towards the end of the year he was just plain exhausted. This system requires a lot of movement from the D's, good defensive forwards and a great goalie.

Old
02-15-2012, 03:41 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Disrespectful? If anything, he would see the chance to go to a playoff team and maybe win a cup in his maybe last year playing hockey.
What's wrong on hfboards... the Flyers ARE a playoff team.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
10 win, 13 losses in last 23 games wont get you into the playoffs, no matter how much one hopes. As I said in the previous posts, the idea was if they CONTINUED to go below .500, which, they wont make playoffs doing.

Back on the Hal Gill thing. Gill is 14th in the league in turnovers. His Corsi is 2nd worse out of their defenders. His sv% is .902 and the worse on his team (meaning Price gets scored on the most when he is out there). He also plays in middle of the line teammates against the worse competition on the team. Like I could keep going, but all his advanced stats are in the bottom of the barrel. He is actually SLOWER than he was before, and not doing too well on defense.

If you look on paper, sure, he is exactly what we need, but right now he is not playing like we would need him to play. So unless the 36 yr old has a revelation, he isnt going to be good all of a sudden. I want a player that is actually going to play good, and the only thing we can base him off of so far is his play this season...which hasnt been good.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-15-2012 at 03:59 PM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Walnut

Acquire 2 of Grossman, O'Brien or Zanon. Solid players that should shore up D. Would most probably only need to give up picks.

Timonen-Coburn
Mez - One of above
Carle - One of above
Lolja

Gus and Bourdon go to Adirondack to continue development. Gus then replaces Carle next year.

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
??? perhaps you havent seen flyers hockey in the second half..

this team is getting shelled by the top teir these days..

maybe in the early season we looked like a contender but not these days..

Old
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
??? perhaps you havent seen flyers hockey in the second half..

this team is getting shelled by the top teir these days..

maybe in the early season we looked like a contender but not these days..
Perhaps you haven't seen any of the Flyers' seasons before this. They always have a terrible month or so at this time of the year. You don't give up when you're in 4th place in the conference. The playoffs are a whole new season.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote