Notices

Al MacInnis To Be Honoured February 27th

Old
02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 998
Al MacInnis To Be Honoured February 27th

The Calgary Flames announced today the “Forever A Flame” program which was established to honour members of the Flames organization. Al MacInnis’s selection marks the beginning of the “Forever A Flame” program, a distinction and path that will be followed by others in the future. MacInnis will receive the honour on February 27th during Al MacInnis Night at the Scotiabank Saddledome. Al will be accompanied by his family and members of the Flames alumni in a pre-game ceremony.

“I am truly honoured to receive this recognition as a member of the Flames family and to have my name and number recognized by one of the finest hockey teams I have ever had the pleasure to compete on,” said MacInnis. “The Forever A Flame program serves a multitude of purposes but most importantly for me as a former player, it permits a bright young player in the future to wear my number and the tradition that accompanies it.”

The Flames have established a tradition that permits Flames of the future, with an opportunity to proudly wear the numbers of some of the Flames all-time greats. A special banner for the honouree will be hoisted and remain on permanent display at the Scotiabank Saddledome. “Forever A Flame” is also the beginning of an on concourse display area being created and dedicated to past and future honourees.

“We are thrilled to add Al as an honouree in what will be a group of individuals who we consider to be Forever Flames,” said Flames President & CEO Ken King.

Whole thing on the Flames website

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
It's about time. He should have been recognized a long, long time ago.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:09 PM
flamesfever

I like this idea of "Forever A Flame" we can honour some great players without having to retire their numbers...Fleury immediately comes to mind as someone who could be honoured in this way.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

vCash: 136
Yeah, but I still think Fleury's # will be retired. Has anyone (other than pre-season Tony Lydman) worn it since he left?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
MarkGio

Does this mean that a player who decides to wear number #2 will have a MacInnis emblem on their jersey?

Has this replaced the idea of retiring a number? Or is in conjunction with retired numbers? If you become a Forever Flame, does that mean you won't have your number retired? Vice versa?

I know we have a "policy" that won't allow former Flames greats to retire their jersey if they are employed at another organization, so I wonder if this new campaign works in a similiar fashion?

Way too many questions arise....

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

I think this means it will be similar to the Leafs "honoring" system.

About time though. Seriously.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Glad it is finally happening.

However, MacInnis won the Conn Smythe and is by far and away the best defenseman in franchise history and will likely be considered that for quite some time, if not forever. I think this is a number that should be retired and not worn again. In the end, I guess they will "honor" a good chunk of the 1989 team and they need to keep the low jersey numbers in circulation.

I don't know. I don't think of Vernon and Lanny as being any more important to the Flames than MacInnis.

Oh, well. It's nice that they are acknowledging his contributions anyway.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I think this means it will be similar to the Leafs "honoring" system.

About time though. Seriously.
This is what I think, too. Anyway, I'm happy to see that they're finally doing it and starting it off with MacInnis. I think Theo and maybe Roberts will be the others to get this done. That all said...does this mean that Iginla's #12 and Kipper's #34 will be honoured and not retired, thus allowed to stay in circulation?

I also like how they're doing it when we play against the Blues, the only other team Al played for. Really wouldn't want it any other way.

Old
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
This is what I think, too. Anyway, I'm happy to see that they're finally doing it and starting it off with MacInnis. I think Theo and maybe Roberts will be the others to get this done. That all said...does this mean that Iginla's #12 and Kipper's #34 will be honoured and not retired, thus allowed to stay in circulation?

I also like how they're doing it when we play against the Blues, the only other team Al played for. Really wouldn't want it any other way.
I think when all is said and done, Iggy and Kipper will be retired. But I like this honouring system, shows appreciation to these great players, save retired for the best like Iggy. Although I imagine there will be an unwritten rule not to wear these numbers?

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:

How do they not retire #12 especially if he plays his whole career for the flames same goes for #34. When they retire they will hold every (or almost all) records they could have at their position, therefore I think we will see both numbers retired.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I think when all is said and done, Iggy and Kipper will be retired. But I like this honouring system, shows appreciation to these great players, save retired for the best like Iggy. Although I imagine there will be an unwritten rule not to wear these numbers?
I agree with that, my concern was how some may (at least according to some fans) may see it as a slap in the face to retire theirs and not Al's or Theo's. I'm sure Iggy and Kipper will get their numbers retired, just wish the front office would expand a bit more on this honouring system.

Old
02-15-2012, 05:05 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
I agree with that, my concern was how some may (at least according to some fans) may see it as a slap in the face to retire theirs and not Al's or Theo's. I'm sure Iggy and Kipper will get their numbers retired, just wish the front office would expand a bit more on this honouring system.
I think Al's should be retired as I believe he still holds the record for most assists as a flames but I don't think Theo was good enough as a flame to be retired but that is just my view.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Pacem

I think honoring MacInnis is more appropriate then retiring his number. He played the majority of his career in Calgary. 43% of the games he played in the NHL were with another NHL team. I don't know where you would draw the line, but when a player plays a big chunk of his career with another team that should exclude him from having his jersey retired. Special circumstances would of course make that irrelevant. If he won multiple Norris with the Flames then how many games he played with another team would become less important. Its hard to judge where one should draw the line. His only Norris was won with St. Louis. He did play during an era filled with great dmen tho, so can't fault him for winning only 1 Norris.

As for Fleury. I think he may have messed up what little chance he had of a number retirement when those disparaging remarks about Conroy and the team. One of my idols growing up, but calling out the Flames because they wouldn't give your 41 year old ass an NHL roster spot? Grow up dude. Honoring should be done, not retiring the number. Retiring ones number should have a lot to do with what you did on and off the ice. Seems the Flames brass are picky about this stuff.

I like how its hard to get your number retired in Calgary.

Good on them for honoring numbers.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
MarkGio

Well if it's like the Leafs system, the only way you get your number retired is if you die, and all other names are honored. So that would mean not even Iggy would have his number retired.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
flameaholic

So are they going to "honour" 9 and 30? Doesn't make sense to retire some Flames greats and honour others. I like the idea of keeping the numbers in circulation, though I highly doubt anyone will ever wear #12 again.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Thumper17

I think Fleury and Macinnis might have had the stuff to be retired, no one wears 2 or 14 anyway.

I wonder if any goons will be honoured. Fan favourites and all.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Did anyone else read this as "Forever Alone" the first time.

I am spending wayyy to much time on the internet.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote