HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs next year

Old
02-15-2012, 01:43 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Maybe because certain fans have this ideology that they want to see the Leafs win a Cup, and that they are taking steps in the wrong way to do such a thing. Commentating on the Leafs, while being unbiased tends to yield an unfavorable situation.

Phaneuf has improved a little bit.

When he was in the number one role in Calgary, he led the entire league (1st) by allowing 122 goals against over the season in which he was counted on to shutdown the opponent's offence. He was promptly replaced with Giordano and Bouwmeester, and subsequently traded off the team.

He is now in the same role in Toronto and is sitting in 10th in the league amongst defencemen, 12th across all NHL players with 66 goals surrendered already. He's on pace for about94 which is an improvement since his days in Calgary, even with a better goalie there.

Here's what some Calgary fans had to say:
What's your point? cc: Calgary fans?

They're just mad they gave up 2 assets for nothing. Phaneuf has been solid here.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 01:54 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
What's your point? cc: Calgary fans?

They're just mad they gave up 2 assets for nothing. Phaneuf has been solid here.
You don't think they know Phaneuf's game like the back of their hand after watching him rise the ranks?

Basically what they're saying is you have to take the good with the bad with regards to Phaneuf. The good is his physical presence he'll use when he can, his rush with the puck, and his hard but inaccurate shot. The bad is his defensive presence and his contract. Calgary is left with Stajan and whoever was acquired for White, who was a really undervalued the Flames had and should have resigned for term immediately.

My original point is that Phaneuf has statistically been faring better than his days as the #1 on Calgary, but not by a whole lot. Kippersoff posted his worst starter numbers that season too, so it's a debatable issue as to who is really responsible for who. Is your "shutdown" d-man supposed to be on the ice for the most goals against in the entire league? Is your goalie supposed to perform better? Hard to pin it on one person, maybe just both.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
oilphan

Oiler fan coming in peace. People always talk about how the Leafs and Oilers took a totally different approach to building their team in that the Oilers decided to tank, and the Leafs did not. The Leafs finished second last a couple years ago, and bottom 10 last year as well as three years ago.

The difference to me is what they decided to do with their picks. The Oilers used them to draft, and the Leafs used them (except for Khadri)to trade for more established players. By definition, this would move the Leafs development up a few years vs the Oilers.

This is not meant to be a Oilers vs Leaf approach post. I am just always surprised how people say that the Leafs did not reach rock bottom before building back up.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Thats what I thought when JFJ left
JFJ didn't really leave the Leafs with anything. Same with Fletcher. Burke didn't come into a team with players worth trading for 1st rounders. The marquee trading chip was Stajan. Kaberle too but he never waived his clause. If this team goes south, which is entirely possible, then the Leafs are in an actual position to properly rebuild. Lupul, Kulemin, MacArthur, etc. could all be sold for at least 1st rounders.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Larcos_Unal

I read somewhere that Grabbo is looking for Kessel type money, he better have his bags packed if that's the case.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Realistically dont see Grabovski being resigned. (Just my opinion)
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kadri-Colborne-Kulemin
Frattin-Connolly-Mueller
Armstrong-Steckel-Brown

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Schenn
Liles-Franson
Blacker/Holzer

Reimer/Owuya/Gustavsson/Scrivens/Rynnas (Its anyones game at this point in my opinion)

Total facelift. Complete youth movement, cut the fat. Play guys that want to be here.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
lol nash is not a C buddy
Lupul can play center.....and it would make sense. I also think Kessel could be a good center. He has the jets but would struggle against other teams bigger players in corners. Kessel can play both wings. I do Kessel.....Lupul....Nash

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Oh ya, is that the same GM that traded away Rask for Raycroft?
Is that the same one who traded a first round pick for Toskala?

They bought his plan early on then aborted very quickly. Its said to think we have management that wont even allow us to do this thing the right way. I was actually never "on" the bandwagon. I have been against almost all this franchises moves for about the past 6-7 years.
What really sucks is that Montreal is in utter turmoil right now and everything is negative there. I bet they rebuild before we are there. Look at what Ottawa did, and most of us had them crapping the bed this year.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:01 AM
LeafsNation92

The leafs should have started the rebuild from day one, The leafs will make it to the 2nd round under Burke, but they will never be that cup contending team, that you get through the draft. Players like Toews, kane, Malkin, Fleury, you need to draft players like this.

LeafsNation92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Grabowaffle84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Lupul can play center.....and it would make sense. I also think Kessel could be a good center. He has the jets but would struggle against other teams bigger players in corners. Kessel can play both wings. I do Kessel.....Lupul....Nash
Kessel by any means would not be a good centre. It would make more sense to put Nash Centre since he would do the best work on the boards and let Kessel and Lupul use their speed to the outside while Nash does hardnosed plays in the corners and crashes the net.

Grabowaffle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
i doubt burke gets canned this year, but definitely next

hope they bring in an AA type GM

he would do wonders in a capped league

for the record i like a lot of burke`s trades but his downfall will be he didn`t take advantage of the first 2 years or so to bottom out and try to acquire some top- level talent
i can be sure 99% of the fans would have gone with that plan

he could now have 1-2 future superstars and a solid core of young role players that have promise

problem is he can`t go backwards now, so he must scramble to try to make it in
Sure get rid of the management team with years of experience and replace them with a new guy with no experience.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

With way things are going, I don't see Grabo staying - as much as it hurts to say it because I feel he should be in the long term plans.

Joffrey Lupul - xxx - Phil Kessel
Nazem Kadri - Tyler Bozak - Nikolai Kulemin
Matt Frattin - Joe Colborne - xxx
Mike Brown - David Steckel - Colby Armstrong

Dion Phaneuf - Carl Gunnarsson
xxx - Jake Gardiner
John-Michael Liles - Cody Franson

xxx
James Reimer

That's how I'm seeing things.

Aulie/Holzer could slot in where Scheen used to be, maybe Mueller in third line wing.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 10:45 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsNation92 View Post
The leafs should have started the rebuild from day one, The leafs will make it to the 2nd round under Burke, but they will never be that cup contending team, that you get through the draft. Players like Toews, kane, Malkin, Fleury, you need to draft players like this.
It looks that way.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
magnet43

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

magnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote