HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Varada-Kelly-Eaves

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Don Draper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
I like them because they go and make offence by themselves, through the execution of perfect little plays.

Take note Heatley.
dont hate on Heatley now, his last few games have been some of his most complete. Give praise where its due, much like the love for Varada that I would even give after watching him really pick it up after a horrendous start.

Old
01-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
dont hate on Heatley now, his last few games have been some of his most complete. Give praise where its due, much like the love for Varada that I would even give after watching him really pick it up after a horrendous start.
No, you are right... I guess I was speaking to the early January Heatley. I have liked him the last 2-3 games though.

Old
01-16-2006, 11:50 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
Edmonton, for the last two periods, was probably his best all-around performance, but he didn't really do anything tonight other than score a gift goal and get an assist on an amazing play by the A-Train...

Old
01-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Edmonton, for the last two periods, was probably his best all-around performance, but he didn't really do anything tonight other than score a gift goal and get an assist on an amazing play by the A-Train...
he was backchecking tonight, and doing enough with his linemates to be considered dangerous.

Old
01-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Not to get off topic, but my bet is over 90% of players try and one time that pass from Alfie and don't score. Heatley showed the instinct and patience to use his momentum, hang on to the puck and score what looked like a gift goal.

The thing is, you just don't see other players do that. You have to appreciate the simplicity of a move like that.

Back on topic, I tip my hat to Muckler for claiming Eaves would ultimately settle in on this team full-time come January. I think it's safe to say he's here to stay. That will be a great 4th line come playoffs, or even third line in a pinch.

Old
01-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Ismellofhockey

Heatley does have the ability to make his goals look easier than they are.

I wouldn't get too caught up by the Eaves-Kelly-Varada line, they're hot now but it won't last and the playoffs are another animal entirely, there's no telling how Kelly and Eaves will react.

Old
01-17-2006, 10:33 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey
I wouldn't get too caught up by the Eaves-Kelly-Varada line, they're hot now but it won't last and the playoffs are another animal entirely, there's no telling how Kelly and Eaves will react.
Well, from what I've seen, it's the effort that counts.

If they score goals, that's gravy, but even when they weren't, they would still cycle in the opposing zone for minutes at a time and play a gritty, physical game as well. I don't think we've had an "energy" line like this in some time.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey
There is no pressure on them at all to put the puck in, just keep it out of their own net. Eaves and Kelly play a simple, complete, grinding game, which is what playoff hockey is in a nutshell. Varada is a ***** on the ice, and lays a couple nice hits too.

All they have to do in their own end is get the puck out off the boards/glass when in trouble. In the offensive zone, they have to set up a tent in the corner and have a weiner roast over an open flame. Wear out the opposition and possibly frusterate a slow defensemen into taking a weak penalty.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
I will go overboard and say that this line has the potential to be the best 4th line in Sens history - if they remain intact throughout the season. Right now, they are getting 3rd line minutes (and are technically Ottawa's 3rd line).

Varada is playing like Varada of old plus some, with a sudden scoring ability. He actually got better with more minutes. This line won't score many points, but if they keep on forechecking the way they are now into the playoffs, they will sure be making the opposing d-men tired enough for the big lines to take care of the scoring.

I am pleasantly surprised with their chemistry.

Playoffs (with current roster):

Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Smoke-Havlat (if Vermette could only score)
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil (don't fix what ain't broke)
Varada-Kelly-Eaves

Chara-Phillips (Phillips has been a beast lately)
Redden-Volchenkov
Meszaros-Schubert (it will be Pothier though )

Hasek
Emery

Old
01-17-2006, 02:05 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Playoffs (with current roster):
Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Vermette-Smoke-Havlat (if Vermette could only score)
Schaefer-Fisher-Neil (don't fix what ain't broke)
Varada-Kelly-Eaves

Chara-Phillips (Phillips has been a beast lately)
Redden-Volchenkov
Meszaros-Schubert (it will be Pothier though )

Hasek
Emery
The other option is replacing Vermette with Bochenski, with Antoine filling in where required through the grueling playoff.

Old
01-17-2006, 03:47 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Maybe reunite the Schaefer - Vermette - Havlat line. This was the one time when Vermette played pretty decent (Atleast, IMO) when he was given a chance, and I think part of it has to do with the fact he was playing his natural position of center.

Closed Thread