HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Change in the Temperature in Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Change in the Temperature in Montreal

You all know I don't start threads much at all, but I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and with the coaching revamp, I see Montreal at something of a crossroads in terms of allure for NHL players.

The beginning of the temperature change, of course, can be traced to the introduction of Gainey as the GM in Montreal. He provides instant credibility to the franchise having been both a champion on and off the ice. His years of superb work in Minnesota and Dallas put him on the NHL map as a savvy GM who makes everything around him better. Certainly, it seems players have started to notice this. Kovalev resigned with the team - something I doubt very highly he would have done had he been invited back under Andre Savard. Furthermore, while we didn't sign a plethora of big-name UFA's, players like Teemu Selanne did admit that he was very close to coming to Montreal.

We weren't a destination city to play in yet, but at least we were making inroads. If you include the comments Gainey had for the fans in the Breezer incident before the last season started - about the boo-birds being yellow and the Habs not needing or wanthing those fans, it's fairly evident that, very early in his reign, Gainey was already working on changing the allure of Montreal. I believe it's a huge stigma these days in the NHL.

Now, with the hiring of Guy Carbonated Water, we have a coach who is also highly respected league-wide. Consider the comments that were floating around before the game against Dallas. As much as Julien seemed to be a good coach to play for, Carbo brings another dose of instant credibility to the club. His desire to make the team a 'family unit' is something that will appeal to a great number of players league-wide as well. I suggest that, as of now, Montreal has taken a second huge leap on the NHL-front interms of being a destination city with the players.

We'll never hit the same allure as Toronto, as much as it gauls me to say it, because there's way too much in the way of political nonsense concerning Francophone players, the language issue, and the ridiculous media in Montreal. However, these issues can be minimized by the strong reputation of Carbo and Gainey and the continuing work that they are putting in to make this city a welcome place to play.

An interesting thing came to my attention last night during the game, and it's something I believe is significantly on the radar of Gainey for the coming year, and it's something I'm not too sure would have happened with Julien as coach. Jason Arnott is UFA this summer, and while he might have completely ignored Montreal as a possibility in the past, with Gainey as GM, and now Carbo as the coach, I think there might be a much greater chance of him looking north for his new hockey home.

If you're looking for that big solid centre for the second line, he'd be a great choice...

These changes won't come overnight, by any stretch, however with Carbo being introduced as coach and the respect he has league-wide, I think there's a much better chance that players will want to come here and work under him. It's been a long time since Montreal has really been a respectable place to play but, with this new addition, I have this feeling that the corner has finally been turned in Montreal.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:41 PM
AD

I agree.

Every point actually, Including Arnott.

Montreal has always been a centre of hockey credibility.

Toe Blake, Scot Bowman, the Pat Burns-Serge Savard era for example... Jacques Demers was always a very respected coach. Lemaire... etc.

Ronald Corey made 1 mistake... and its set us back 10 years. Houle-Tremblay was a curse for this team.

Back to credibility I guess.

Edit: I half expected coming to this thread and start reading about the friffin' -25 weather!

Old
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
BORAT

Claude Julien = André Savard of coaching

we're not saying Julien sucks... we just say he didn't have the '' shnitz '' to be a Montreal Coach

Shnitz = meaningless

Old
01-17-2006, 01:49 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Guy Carbonated Water?
First time I hear this one! That's a good one...
Great post, you have put in words what I have been thinking:
Montreal may not be the end all, by any stretch, for good NHL players but with Gainey and Carbo, we are on the map.
Players may consider the Habs a team they would like to play for.

With BG and Carbo, the future looks bright, indeed.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:50 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
You all know I don't start threads much at all, but I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and with the coaching revamp, I see Montreal at something of a crossroads in terms of allure for NHL players.

The beginning of the temperature change, of course, can be traced to the introduction of Gainey as the GM in Montreal. He provides instant credibility to the franchise having been both a champion on and off the ice. His years of superb work in Minnesota and Dallas put him on the NHL map as a savvy GM who makes everything around him better. Certainly, it seems players have started to notice this. Kovalev resigned with the team - something I doubt very highly he would have done had he been invited back under Andre Savard. Furthermore, while we didn't sign a plethora of big-name UFA's, players like Teemu Selanne did admit that he was very close to coming to Montreal.

We weren't a destination city to play in yet, but at least we were making inroads. If you include the comments Gainey had for the fans in the Breezer incident before the last season started - about the boo-birds being yellow and the Habs not needing or wanthing those fans, it's fairly evident that, very early in his reign, Gainey was already working on changing the allure of Montreal. I believe it's a huge stigma these days in the NHL.

Now, with the hiring of Guy Carbonated Water, we have a coach who is also highly respected league-wide. Consider the comments that were floating around before the game against Dallas. As much as Julien seemed to be a good coach to play for, Carbo brings another dose of instant credibility to the club. His desire to make the team a 'family unit' is something that will appeal to a great number of players league-wide as well. I suggest that, as of now, Montreal has taken a second huge leap on the NHL-front interms of being a destination city with the players.

We'll never hit the same allure as Toronto, as much as it gauls me to say it, because there's way too much in the way of political nonsense concerning Francophone players, the language issue, and the ridiculous media in Montreal. However, these issues can be minimized by the strong reputation of Carbo and Gainey and the continuing work that they are putting in to make this city a welcome place to play.

An interesting thing came to my attention last night during the game, and it's something I believe is significantly on the radar of Gainey for the coming year, and it's something I'm not too sure would have happened with Julien as coach. Jason Arnott is UFA this summer, and while he might have completely ignored Montreal as a possibility in the past, with Gainey as GM, and now Carbo as the coach, I think there might be a much greater chance of him looking north for his new hockey home.

If you're looking for that big solid centre for the second line, he'd be a great choice...

These changes won't come overnight, by any stretch, however with Carbo being introduced as coach and the respect he has league-wide, I think there's a much better chance that players will want to come here and work under him. It's been a long time since Montreal has really been a respectable place to play but, with this new addition, I have this feeling that the corner has finally been turned in Montreal.

I love reading your posts. You should start a Blog.

Last edited by fufonzo: 01-17-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
The CUBE

Avery good post. thanks for the read.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:05 PM
habitue*

Yes. Arnott should be signed. Actually, we should trade for him. Koivu will become a UFA in July. Dallas = Tean Finland. Koivu would love to play for them.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Turbo

Nice post Guy!. It's hard to disagree with your arguments.

I would add that as a fan, my confidence level has also shot up drastically. Gone are the dark days of the late 90s-early 00s when all we could hope for was for a berth in the playoffs and a series of miracle upsets.

The credibility of Gainey & Carbonneau can now hopefully attract the players needed to fill in the gaps that could not be patched through the draft.

I think the future has a lot of promise for Habs' fans. Of course most of us will continue to ***** about everything along the way...

Old
01-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Snyke

Send a message via MSN to Snyke
do you write for this website too??

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php...99e38adee6824b

Old
01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Great post.

Old
01-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I thought you were going to teach us something about global warming there, Guy!

(But then, perhaps global warming will actually become another factor in players choosing to come to Montreal! Especially if the polar ice caps melt enough that cities like Boston, New York, and LA end up under the ocean. Gradually, over time.)

Of course, nobody can dispute what you have said about the potential effects of Gainey and Carbo. However, it's a bit unfortunate that this had to happen to us now when:

a) the salary cap will effect some degree of impact on this situation anyway; that is, teams with "allure" who are already at their cap limits can't sign anybody, and so the "unalluring" cities were due for a boost anyway. A bit of dilution to our Gainey/Carbo effect there.

b) we've pretty much passed an entire generation now with the Habs being mediocre. Back when we were kids, imagine if there was unrestricted free agency? Half the hockey world would have been beating down our GM's door, dreaming of playing for us. Now, "kids these days" don't worship the bleu blanc rouge as before, and there's more of a mercenary attitude to also dilute the Gainey/Carbo effect.

But hey, we take what we can get, for sure. The next thing we need is to actually demonstrate some winning. Winning, will draw the mercenaries faster than anything else (aside from pure $$$).

Old
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Guy Caballero

I agree with Guy! that personnel is very important, but in my opinion (and this may be stating the obvious), the only real way to generate respect is to win. Before the 90s, what was Detroit but a run-down, crime-ridden city with a moderately successful NHL history? Now, it's the Mecca of U.S. hockey, and any player in the NHL would be happy to play there. They built that reputation as they built their 90s dynasty. With it came the big bucks and the big names.

There are no quick fixes for the Habs in this regard. They had this kind of capital, too, but they let it slip away over the past decade. Gainey and Carbo's presence with the team provides a good foundation, but that's all it is. Furthermore, in the new NHL, developing players will be much more important than signing free agents. Last off season was an aberration, since 60% of the league was unsigned. It will be our scouting staff that determines our success going forward. Do we have the right guys? I don't know. I think so, but that won't be clear until a few years from now, when our current crop of young players will have hit their peak.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:03 PM
JV

Good post.

The whole thing went down hill with the Tremblay, Houle, Cornoyer hirings. Carbonneau and Gainey have paid their dues, as had Jacques Lemaire when he was hired (over in the Swiss league I believe). Tremblay is turning into a really solid hockey guy, but he wasn't ready for Montreal at the time he was hired. Houle was way, way out of his depth. To add to that, we also got cheep in Boivin's later years, as Molson was bleeding. With Gillette taking over, and getting Savard in, the process actually started. I agree that Gainey and Carbo closed the deal in terms of NHL street cred, but Savard and then Julien were an important part of the transition back.

And Savard does deserve credit. As I've argued countless times, he went out and got some bodies to play hockey without moving picks, he drafted well, and provided the bridge to get us from the barren desert (waiting for Chouinard et al) to the promised land. As significant as Kovalev's signing was, the fact that we have had four or five rookies in the lineup on any given night is, in the long run, the biggest sign of recovering health for the organization.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
The next thing we need is to actually demonstrate some winning. Winning, will draw the mercenaries faster than anything else (aside from pure $$$).
As usual, I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:22 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
a) the salary cap will effect some degree of impact on this situation anyway; that is, teams with "allure" who are already at their cap limits can't sign anybody, and so the "unalluring" cities were due for a boost anyway. A bit of dilution to our Gainey/Carbo effect there.

At the same time "alluring cities" in a cap world can only offer so much so it will more difficult to outbid someone. So if a player wants to join a contender and they are all offering the same amount his choice will not revolve around money at this point. Maybe at this point he starts to look at who he will have to work with and their credentials.
I remember when Dallas got Guerin to join their organisation, they weren't offering the most money(probably equal) but Guerin said they had the best sales pitch.

Closed Thread