HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Who will replace Patrick Roy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
  #1
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Who will replace Patrick Roy?

My question, for Remparts fans, is as follows: in the event Patrick Roy goes out of his way to coach an NHL team next year (be it Montreal, Colorado, NY Islanders or Columbus) who will replace him as head coach and GM? No need for both positions to be held by the same person, but these two positions will both need to be filled.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:36 PM
  #2
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
Jon Goyens ???

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:25 AM
  #3
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
My question, for Remparts fans, is as follows: in the event Patrick Roy goes out of his way to coach an NHL team next year (be it Montreal, Colorado, NY Islanders or Columbus) who will replace him as head coach and GM? No need for both positions to be held by the same person, but these two positions will both need to be filled.
The only place I see hom going is Montreal. Maybe COL.

Idk who will take over.. Bobby Smith?!

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
  #4
thegreaterikku
Registered User
 
thegreaterikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St-Ambroise
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Raymond Bourque? His son played two years there and he bought a house for this end (don't know if he sold ever since) and he his a great friend of Roy. I wouldn't mind Bourque as a HC and would give him experience if coaching is what he wants.

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
  #5
Raimu
Registered User
 
Raimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
If Roy goes to coach in the NHL, Quebec is gonna need a new GM too. Probably going to be 2 different guys filling those roles. Its really hard to be Coach/GM and I don't think there are a lot of guys that can do it.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:44 PM
  #6
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
If Roy goes to coach in the NHL, Quebec is gonna need a new GM too. Probably going to be 2 different guys filling those roles. Its really hard to be Coach/GM and I don't think there are a lot of guys that can do it.
Roy has been uneven as a GM, but perhaps you guys can fill in on what Roy has been best and worst at as a GM (and as a head coach as well)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
  #7
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,142
vCash: 500
One thing that I remember hearing the year that Quebec won the Memorial Cup (and repeated since then) is how handy Roy's fame is when it comes to recruiting players.

Consider this: you are the father of a hockey player and you're dead-set that your son is getting a education first and foremost in case this hockey thing doesn't work out. In one case, some GM for a QMJHL team calls you up or comes to visit and talks to you about how they'd really like your son to come play for their team. In another case, Patrick Roy calls you up and comes to visit and says the same thing. Basically because Patrick Roy is Hall of Famer Patrick Roy with his four Stanley Cup rings, it makes a difference.

Also, if Roy were to leave, I wouldn't be surprised if, at least for coaching, it's handled internally.

__________________
Twitter / Blog / About.me
Kevin Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:24 PM
  #8
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
One thing that I remember hearing the year that Quebec won the Memorial Cup (and repeated since then) is how handy Roy's fame is when it comes to recruiting players.

Consider this: you are the father of a hockey player and you're dead-set that your son is getting a education first and foremost in case this hockey thing doesn't work out. In one case, some GM for a QMJHL team calls you up or comes to visit and talks to you about how they'd really like your son to come play for their team. In another case, Patrick Roy calls you up and comes to visit and says the same thing. Basically because Patrick Roy is Hall of Famer Patrick Roy with his four Stanley Cup rings, it makes a difference.

Also, if Roy were to leave, I wouldn't be surprised if, at least for coaching, it's handled internally.
I agree with you in terms of recruiting...but from what ive heard, Roy wasnt a big fan of bringing in American kids early on...it was mostly his partners who wanted him to go after those kids and a lot of them backfired. Lavallee, Andricopolous, Chinova, Gretchev...

It seems he has beefed up his scouting department and has made some very good home grown type of picks and now has started to sprinkle in some more higher profile players like Duclair and Erne...

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.