HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

1979 Playoffs

Old
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Megustaelhockey
Hybrid icing

vCash: 500
1979 Playoffs

Guys who are old enough to remember:

Do you think if Boston wins game 7 in Montreal on 5/10/79 (the Don Cherry too-many-men game), the Rangers win the cup that year?

I feel like maybe we had a chance against them... but against the Habs? Not so much.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Giacomin

I thought Montreal was the better team especially on defense and definitely in net. Boston had a decent team but they seemed to be getting old. They had Ratelle,Park,Cashman,Oreilly,Middleton and McNabb as their leaders. I seem to recall their goalrending was suspect and I don,t recall if Cheevers was hurt or not but Gilbert was in net for game 7 against Montreal.
I think we would have had a great chance against the Bruins but once Montreal got life in the last 10 minutes of the game most fans thought it was a foregone conclusion that the Rangers magic carpet ride was going to come to an end. After winning game 1 in the finals then taking a lead in game 2 I was optimistic but the Rangers were brought back down to earth. I was in school back then but I remember that 1979 team capturing the city like no other team outside of 1994. Lets hope the Rangers can do it this year
Unfortunately after falling short in 1979 we all no what happened

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I have every back page clipping from that whole play off run..Every once in a while I take it out and look..I loved that Team.I don't know if we would've beaten Boston but we should have beaten Montreal...JD was unreal for that run..

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:31 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Guys who are old enough to remember:

Do you think if Boston wins game 7 in Montreal on 5/10/79 (the Don Cherry too-many-men game), the Rangers win the cup that year?

I feel like maybe we had a chance against them... but against the Habs? Not so much.
For me it's hard to say, the availability of information on other teams and the NHL back then was much different than it is today, and I was a HS senior during that run.

In 1979 many in the outer boroughs didn't have cable yet, so you couldn't watch home games, only away games on WOR. For the Rangers/Isles series we would go into the city and watch the game at a bar...it was a wild time, every game the bars were more packed than the previous game. I actually watched the clincher in the old Felt Forum, now called the Theater at MSG. If I remember correctly JD tweaked his knee in either Game 1 or 2...but my mind isn't what it used to be.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:02 AM
eco's bones

We won the first game and looked good at the start of the second and then it all fell apart. JD came up lame and after that it seemed like we were always chasing the puck. I think that was the beginning of Claude Lemieux's days (theatrics) in the NHL--and Patrick Roy as well.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:50 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
We won the first game and looked good at the start of the second and then it all fell apart. JD came up lame and after that it seemed like we were always chasing the puck. I think that was the beginning of Claude Lemieux's days (theatrics) in the NHL--and Patrick Roy as well.
Not sure how old you are but not even close. That was the 1986 team.

I was only 8 at the time but I do remember that playoffs well, especially the Islander series. I listened to game 5 on the radio in my sister's room (she had the best one, it was called "hi-fi" back then). Before game 2 the MTL starting goalie was hurt in pregame warm up. Dryden wasn't going to play but then he did, he got hot and that was it. Who knows what would have happened if the other goalie (I believe his name was Bunny Laroque) had played game 2? Rangers also blew a 2-0 early lead in that 2nd game.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:19 AM
pld459666

We won the first game of the series and then Montreal went back to Dryden for games 2-5 and the rest was history.

Had the Canadiens started Dryden in game one, we would have gotten swept.

Even if we had Nilsson, I still think we lose.

I enjoyed that run, but I'm not sure that we would have beaten Boston or Montreal.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

To answer ypour origial question, no. The Canadiens and the Bruins were the two best teams in the league. The Rangers were on a magic carpet ride.

After the Rangers won the first game in Montreal, Phil Esposito pleaded with Fred Shero to take the team out of Montreal so they wouldn't party too much. He didn't, they partied and that was strike one. Strike two came when the Habs goaltender (I think it was Bunny Laroque or Wayne Thomas) got hit in the head during the warmups in game two. Dryden wasn't going to play but he was pressed into service and was magnificent. And the third strike was John Davidson's bum knee.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post

I was only 8 at the time but I do remember that playoffs well, especially the Islander series. I listened to game 5 on the radio in my sister's room (she had the best one, it was called "hi-fi" back then). Before game 2 the MTL starting goalie was hurt in pregame warm up. Dryden wasn't going to play but then he did, he got hot and that was it. Who knows what would have happened if the other goalie (I believe his name was Bunny Laroque) had played game 2? Rangers also blew a 2-0 early lead in that 2nd game.
Didn't we got jobbed on a "typical Montreal" penalty call against us that pretty much shifted momentum back to the Habs?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:15 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

They all run together sometimes Jan. I'm 54 and I started following the Rangers in 71-72. And I'm well versed on Montreal Canadien players even if I mix up some of the years. I've seen Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer, Peter and Frank Mahovolich, Jacques Lemaire (as a player), Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Bob Gainey--all HOF's except Peter Mahovolich--in action. Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard--more HOF'ers on defense and Ken Dryden too. IMO the best player ever was Bobby Orr. Saw the first Canada Cup. Vic Hadfield coming home from that to be booed in every rink around the league--because he didn't get along with Sinden.

Anyway that Ranger team can be read about in Larry Sloman's A season in hell. Ron Duguay, Don Murdoch, Barry Beck, Dave Maloney, John Davidson, Phil Esposito, Ron Greschner, Pat Hickey, Carol Vadnais--they're all there along with Fred Shero.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Didn't we got jobbed on a "typical Montreal" penalty call against us that pretty much shifted momentum back to the Habs?
I honestly don't recall. Like I said, I was 8. I remember one of the games at MSG went to OT that they lost.

Quote:
They all run together sometimes Jan. I'm 54 and I started following the Rangers in 71-72. And I'm well versed on Montreal Canadien players even if I mix up some of the years. I've seen Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer, Peter and Frank Mahovolich, Jacques Lemaire (as a player), Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Bob Gainey--all HOF's except Peter Mahovolich--in action. Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard--more HOF'ers on defense and Ken Dryden too. IMO the best player ever was Bobby Orr. Saw the first Canada Cup. Vic Hadfield coming home from that to be booed in every rink around the league--because he didn't get along with Sinden.

Anyway that Ranger team can be read about in Larry Sloman's A season in hell. Ron Duguay, Don Murdoch, Barry Beck, Dave Maloney, John Davidson, Phil Esposito, Ron Greschner, Pat Hickey, Carol Vadnais--they're all there along with Fred Shero.
I read that book years back, like '83 or around there.

My favorite player as a kid was Mike McEwen. I was a Hickey fan, too. Then Mark Pavelich, but I was happy when Hickey came back a few years later.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
To answer ypour origial question, no. The Canadiens and the Bruins were the two best teams in the league. The Rangers were on a magic carpet ride.

After the Rangers won the first game in Montreal, Phil Esposito pleaded with Fred Shero to take the team out of Montreal so they wouldn't party too much. He didn't, they partied and that was strike one. Strike two came when the Habs goaltender (I think it was Bunny Laroque or Wayne Thomas) got hit in the head during the warmups in game two. Dryden wasn't going to play but he was pressed into service and was magnificent. And the third strike was John Davidson's bum knee.
I agree. MTL and BOS were much better teams. Rangers were on a charmed run. Beating the Islanders was almost as good as a Cup win though IMHO.
I was 13 at the time. In Jersey with no cable (not that we didn't pay for it; it hadn't arrived at all) it was home games on the radio and road games on channel 9.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:32 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:

That was a great book. Barry came the season following the cup run. 5 things determined that series in my opinion.

1. JD got hurt
2. An emotional hangover for the guys after beating the Isles and winning game 1. Even as a 8th grade fan beating the Isles meant more to me than the cup that year.
3. Ulf Nillson in that series was not the same as a healthy Ulfie earlier in the season
4. Espo said the young guys were enjoying the night life a bit much in Montreal.
5. Montreals defense was just so big. Espo was shadowed that whole series.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I honestly don't recall. Like I said, I was 8. I remember one of the games at MSG went to OT that they lost.

I read that book years back, like '83 or around there.

My favorite player as a kid was Mike McEwen. I was a Hickey fan, too. Then Mark Pavelich, but I was happy when Hickey came back a few years later.
A lot of years--this is my 40th--just one cup but that was a magical year. We're losing bad tonight but this has been one of the best seasons of all.

Old
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
That was a great book. Barry came the season following the cup run. 5 things determined that series in my opinion.

1. JD got hurt
2. An emotional hangover for the guys after beating the Isles and winning game 1. Even as a 8th grade fan beating the Isles meant more to me than the cup that year.
3. Ulf Nillson in that series was not the same as a healthy Ulfie earlier in the season
4. Espo said the young guys were enjoying the night life a bit much in Montreal.
5. Montreals defense was just so big. Espo was shadowed that whole series.
I know we beat Monteal a couple times--71-72 was one time. I can also remember Ron Harris winning a game for us in OT another time we won a series against the Canadiens.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
I know we beat Monteal a couple times--71-72 was one time. I can also remember Ron Harris winning a game for us in OT another time we won a series against the Canadiens.
Harry played center that game and scored off the faceoff in OT

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:09 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I wasn't born when this happened but have read about it. To me it's real interesting how the Rangers made it to the Finals and also the Semis (1981) twice in a three year period.

It's too bad they beat the Islanders in 1979 and not 1981; maybe I'm wrong but with the Playoff format, they would've steamrolled Minnesota in the Finals that year.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

What I remember best about that Montreal/Boston series is that Boston was leading late in the third period of game 7 and the refs kept calling BS penalties on the Bruins until the Canadiens won. And I hated the Bruins with a passion in those days so if anything I was biased in the other direction.

Mr Atoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:15 PM
trilobyte

One thing I do remember is thinking that the Rangers could win the series. Obviously I was wrong, but it was still great watching them and having that hope, and loving the team's play regardless.

To answer the question, I would have to say that they would have had a better chance against the Bruins, if for no other reason than the perennial fact that NYR cannot beat the Canadiens, except for the odd game.

I loved the great rivalry that the Rangers had with the Bruins, and I absolutely always hated the Canadiens and their fans. Grew up surrounded by them, at that age they were mostly a bunch of band-waggoners. Lots of them were Steelers or Cowboy fans too. I never knew a Habs fan at that age to back a team like the Oakland Raiders, they just went with with front-runners.

So, to make a short story long, I wish the Bruins had beat the Canadiens.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Well, the Habs definitely got jobbed on Robinson's infamous goal that was never counted in OT of game 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwromWaE4xI

This was, of course, in the days before instant replay was used in officiating. Justice eventually prevailed when Savard slapped in the game winner shortly afterwards. Much as it pains me to remember it, the Rangers D looked awful that day and it was to JD's credit that he managed to keep the game tied 3-3 through regulation. The Habs were definitely the better team that day, but man! If the Rangers somehow could have found a way to score in OT, it would have been huge! Series would have tied 2-2 and would have given our boys a renewed lease on life going back to the Forum. Instead, they walked out of the Garden that day down 3-1 with their heads hanging down and the inevitable feeling that they were going to be yet another victim steamrolled by Bowman's dynasty.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote