Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Thomas for Pat Kane???

Old
02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Battaglia
Hail Tim Thomas.

vCash: 500
Amazing how things change in a year. Im a big Kane fan but I still wouldnt trade Timmy for him right now. The question is who gives them a better shot to win the cup...not setup for the future, not look sexy on paper, but give them the best chance to win the cup. Answer is Thomas in a landslide in my opinion. Bruins need to be winning now. While they have a guy like Thomas back there, not trade him away a year after he was the friggin Conn Smythe. What has gotten into people??

Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

It's not insane to consider from a Boston perspective. Kane is a star and will almost certainly continue to be for at least the next ten years. I realize TT was huge during the cup run but it's not like anyone is saying he should be traded for peanuts.

Yes, I know it's not going to happen.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Not going to happen, Chicago easily would turn it down

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:41 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battaglia View Post
Amazing how things change in a year. Im a big Kane fan but I still wouldnt trade Timmy for him right now. The question is who gives them a better shot to win the cup...not setup for the future, not look sexy on paper, but give them the best chance to win the cup. Answer is Thomas in a landslide in my opinion. Bruins need to be winning now. While they have a guy like Thomas back there, not trade him away a year after he was the friggin Conn Smythe. What has gotten into people??
It's not like Pat Kane is chopped liver in the playoffs. He had 28 points in 22 games(significantly better than any Bruins player's PPG last year) in the B'hawks cup run a couple years back including the overtime Stanley Cup winning goal.

So yeah...I don't really see that landslide...especially when Kane makes them a better team now and in the future...unless you see a landslide between Thomas and Rask as well.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:44 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Plus...I could literally just watch this on loop every day all day.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:52 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsox View Post
It's not like Pat Kane is chopped liver in the playoffs. He had 28 points in 22 games(significantly better than any Bruins player's PPG last year) in the B'hawks cup run a couple years back including the overtime Stanley Cup winning goal.

So yeah...I don't really see that landslide...especially when Kane makes them a better team now and in the future...unless you see a landslide between Thomas and Rask as well.
It's a landslide in my mind all right. A landslide in terms of the upgrade of Kane over whichever forward he sends to the 9th floor vs. the "downgrade" to a goalie that currently has a lower GAA and higher sv %.

But Chicago would never ever do that deal and Thomas is virtually certain to not waive his NTC, so the point is moot.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:05 AM
McKuato

For a board that discusses hockey it blows my mind that it seem no one is aware that TT has a NMC until the off season.
So the actual thing Roenick was talking about was RASK for KANE
Now we can discuss the actual thing Roenick was talking about.
Something that could at least theoretically happen.

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Here are my general thoughts on Patrick Kane to Boston: I will personally foot his liquor bill, pay all cab fares, and cover the cost of maintaining his flow.

But in all seriousness, though I don't think it will happen, I would probably do the deal. It allows you to add an elite talent to your roster while dealing from an area of strength. I am someone who thinks Rask can get the job done, especially if given the chance to play more.

I am also taking into consideration the fact that Timmy may not be here after this year, so if you could ever get a player like Patrick Kane for him, who I believe still has 3 years left on his deal, then it has to be done.

And that is not to say that Timmy still can't get the job done because he can, I still think he is one of the best in the league, and will turn it on in the playoffs...but Patrick Kane?

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:14 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
For a board that discusses hockey it blows my mind that it seem no one is aware that TT has a NMC until the off season.
The NMC is easily worked around in this situation. Mandatory team breakfasts at the State House with Deval Patrick the rest of the season.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
Well to wave it he had to have signed it in the first place.
Summer 2010. He was going into the season as the potential backup.
The only thing I saw were rumors, no reliable quotes from trusted sources that he agreed to waive his NTC. Unless, of course, you have information to the contrary.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:34 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

pipe dream

course if chicago was that desperate for a goalie and actually offered this the bruins would absolutely have to take it. hell id toss in the bruins first rounder with it.

if you can turn a star aging goalie into a star young winger you do it 100 times out of 100 particularly when you have rask ready to be a starter anyways.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
BruinsFan64

The only way Chicago would even think about this if it were Rask for Kane and we ain't given up the Raskman.

BruinsFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
dtam83

vCash: 50
this would be fantastic

seguin + marchand + kane = no panties would be able to stay up in boston

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 View Post
The only way Chicago would even think about this if it were Rask for Kane and we ain't given up the Raskman.
and trust me I doubt they do that as well. Goalies never get big returns, we ain't getting a superstar forward for either guy

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
BeastinB's

Send a message via AIM to BeastinB's
I think people around here are seriously drunk if they think Chicago even CONSIDERS trading Patty Kane for Thomas, OR Rask...

It would never happen. Goalies have barely any value and Chicago would hang up laughing..

Classic case of this board overrating their own players...wow.

BeastinB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
bwunderlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastinB's View Post
I think people around here are seriously drunk if they think Chicago even CONSIDERS trading Patty Kane for Thomas, OR Rask...

It would never happen. Goalies have barely any value and Chicago would hang up laughing..

Classic case of this board overrating their own players...wow.
agreed. now speculate hossa comes east rather than kane?

bwunderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
Thomas was integral in us winning the cup last year, and it amazes me how so many "fans" are all of the sudden on the "trade him" bandwagon lately
Difference between looking to trade him and dealing him for a young superstar like Kane. Chicago obviously would not do this though.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:18 PM
McKuato

Purely a what if but what about:

Rask, Krejci and Bos 1st maybe Caron

for

Kane Sharp and Seabrook

Chicago gets a francise goalie and 2nd line center while gaining cap flexibility.

Boston improves in all areas except goalie of the future

discuss

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
RustyBruins72

I agree with a few here including my buddy Kaoz, I'd do that deal in a second! and I am a TT fan!

As Chicago loads up for a cup run, that deal doesn't make a lot of sense for them.

I saw speculation on a blog site that says Kane for Ryan Miller. Interesting, but again, can't see it happening.

I could see Nash for Miller.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Reaper Sinistre
Regard du trou cinq

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKuato View Post
Actually, Roenick wasn't specifically talking about any team. His point was the the Blackhawks need help between the pipes, and in order to get something big they have to give up something big. Roenick said as much as he loved Kane, the Hawks could survive without his offense if a star tender could be acquired.

With all that said, Andy Strickland wrote that the Hawks brass have spoken internally about the possibility of dealing Kane for a tender. There are few tenders out there who could be traded for Kane. So naturally, the top players at that position are going to be discussed: Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, et al. People here know that Thomas has a NMC. That fact doesn't preclude a discussion. Does it make sense? No, but it doesn't mean it can't be discussed. Miller makes far more sense. He also has a NMC, btw; however, Strickland says he would waive it to go to the Hawks. The reasons are obvious. Now, the cabbies in Buffalo might not approve of a deal that would bring Kane home, but that's not their call.

Reaper Sinistre is offline   Reply With Quote