HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist/LINqvist

Old
02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
JanErixon20

vCash: 500
Lundqvist/LINqvist

Anyone see the ad in Newsday today? I think it's a slap in the face to Lundqvist. SNY Rangers Blog has a photo.

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

#LundSanity was trending in NY after his shutout vs. the B's.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

One could view it that way. Lundqvist doesnt and shouldnt be compared to Lin. He is his own NY legend.

Although it's probably not meant as a slap in the face, but can be viewed as one by some. that's my take on it.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

vCash: 2319
Yeah I saw that. Maybe they think it'll get people interested by linking him with Lin? I thought it was nice that they actually got an ad like that, it's usually Isles or Knicks.

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:12 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I thought it was a spelling mistake. Once I realized it was a Jeremy Lin thing, oh my god. I don't know a thing about basketball and I am already sick of this guy being shoved down everyone's throat in the world of sports!

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blue425

Really? They are comparing the flavor of the week to Lundqvist?

Lin is barely fit to carry the man's equipment bag.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ogie

Wait a second NY has a basketball team?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I thought it was a spelling mistake. Once I realized it was a Jeremy Lin thing, oh my god. I don't know a thing about basketball and I am already sick of this guy being shoved down everyone's throat in the world of sports!
Lin is not being "shoved" down anyone's throat by the media. This is an incredible once in a lifetime story. The fans are the ones causing this "Linsanity." Your choice of words could not of been worse. How are you not inspired by the underdog story that is Jeremy Lin?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Onion Boy

Lundsanity is much cooler.

Misspelling the guy's name (Linqvist), even if a pun, is just stupid.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Lin is not being "shoved" down anyone's throat by the media. This is an incredible once in a lifetime story. The fans are the ones causing this "Linsanity." Your choice of words could not of been worse. How are you not inspired by the underdog story that is Jeremy Lin?
Yeah he is. I haven't watched a second of Knicks basketball this year and yet somehow I know all about the guy.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I became aware of this story about a statistical sports anomaly on the national news last night? I'm still trying to figure out why it's a news story at all.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Lundsanity is much cooler.

Misspelling the guy's name (Linqvist), even if a pun, is just stupid.
Yea Lundsanity is so much better. Linqvist is so dumb.

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:30 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Sure he is. Have you seen the papers? I believe the Post had 4 pages on him alone Sunday.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
He's on the front page of CNN today as well.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Abooch68

So sad, but the reality is that basketball is much more popular than hockey. Lin is more popular right now than Lundqvist has/may ever be unless he gets to the finals wins a cup. Very sad but its true.

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
MSG the place to be*

Haters Lin the house.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
GAGLine

Lin is a shiny new toy, one that came out of nowhere. People are right to be excited about him. But even still, nothing like this could happen in the NHL. The Rangers could find a guy begging outside MSG, bring him in, put him on the ice and have him score 4 goals a game in his first dozen games and he still wouldn't get the hype that Lin is getting.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:54 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Lin is a shiny new toy, one that came out of nowhere. People are right to be excited about him. But even still, nothing like this could happen in the NHL. The Rangers could find a guy begging outside MSG, bring him in, put him on the ice and have him score 4 goals a game in his first dozen games and he still wouldn't get the hype that Lin is getting.
You can't compare hockey and basketball. The casual fan can tune into a Knick game and see Lin on the court for 38 out of 48 minutes and see him bring the ball up the court and make plays every time the Knicks have possession. The crowd can go crazy every time he scores or makes a great pass.

Hockey is not built that way.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

MSG Network owns the rights most of the Rangers and Knicks games. It was just a way to advertise both at the same time by linking them. So that was the motive, not them objectively equating the two. That being said, it's still incredibly insulting to link the world's best hockey goalie to some guy who has had a few good games against mostly terrible competition.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

An almost dispicable slap in the face to Lundqvist, who has been at the top of his profession for 7 years now. The Lin legend is 11 days old and more likely to flicker out than continue.

But whatever, its to be expected. Basketball will always usurp hockey in NY...and the Garden just loves creating the hysteria for a Knicks team that has been so bad for so long.

I saw an interview with the Garden PR guy that said Lin could "easily" overtake Jordan and Beckham in terms of marketability. Sheesh.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:45 AM
will1066

Who cares. No offense, but some over here are taking this too seriously. Hockey is a niche sport. It's a sport for *us*, the true fans. Who cares if hockey doesn't get any attention. I actually prefer it that way. All that being said, Lin is a great story pure and simple. I hadn't watched basketball in years, but I've watched nearly every game since the hype began. His overall points total through his first five games or something like that was more than Jordan and many other NBA all-time greats. That, right there, already justifies his hype and legend status. Last night, he set another career-high in assists in a game, with about five of them being alley-oop plays. And how does the guy handle all of the circus around him? He's as humble and well-spoken as any hockey player in the spotlight. His attitude and the way he carries himself through all this is what the rest of the NBA thugs should be.

Now back to hockey.

will1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I have SO had it with this Jeremy Lin garbage. Guy has played 7 games, and they're hailing him as if he is the he is the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan.

I have never seen a team get so much undeserved attention, even before this Lin ****, over a team that is clearly better (and has been for years), has more stars than that garbage franchise that shares OUR arena.

I am tired of the Knicks getting the backpage headlines over the Rangers.

I am tired of them getting the priority on TV and Radio.

I am tired of them. Period.

Bottom line is the Knicks don't even deserve to breathe the same air as the Rangers, and now this crap? Henrik Lundqvist has been in this league for 7 YEARS, not 7 games, and was a sensation in his own right during his rookie season. Well he and the Rangers got no attention because of the **** New York media and they're biased hatred towards hockey, and their constant asinine back page headlines with Larry Brown pointing at the something and yelling (mandatory Larry Brown pose).

I like Jeremy Lin as a person, but I am tired of this crap. He was being compared to Ken Dryden last night on ESPN, because of the unknown, out of nowhere factor. He's the difference. Dryden won the 6 final games of the Hab's season, and then went on to win the Conn Smythe as he led the Canadiens to the Stanley Cup. All Jeremy Lin has done is get a crappy team 1 game over .500. To compare him someone who ended up as one of the greatest goalies of all time, is ridiculous.

And then to hear them chanting MVP after the game last night...seriously?? Idiots.

I hope the Knicks lose 10 in a row, and he is invisible in those games, just to show everyone how flipping ridiculous this is.

End rant.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
So Lundqvist being drafted in the 7th round isn't an incredible once-in-a-lifetime story? What has Lin done so far, played well for less than half a dozen games? Great for him and I'm not saying he's going to fall back to earth hard, but..Hank has been doing his thing for ~6 years now. Years, not games.

And people already calling Lin a legend need to think before they speak.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I became aware of this story about a statistical sports anomaly on the national news last night? I'm still trying to figure out why it's a news story at all.
Seriously? It's more "newsworthy" than most of the crap being sold these days. It's a story about hope and breaking stereotypes, etc. A guy who nobody gave a chance to succeed at this level got a shot and has made the most of it. Not to mention Lin is as humble as they come...he seems like a genuinely good guy which only makes people root for him more.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Rangerfans

This offends you? Wow, I gotta make sure I'm totally PC if I ever see you guys at a game?

Let's face it: hockey is never going to be as popular as any other sport. Look at soccer: most popular played sport in the US, most watched sport around the world....except for here. Why is that?

The story of Lin "IS" amazing. If the guy is going to fall back to earth, fine...but I'm going to totally ride his coattails and embrace the buzz in NYC, in the sport, and simply 'his' story. This is more than just a basketball thing, this is a Cinderella story.

As for hockey? Or Lundqvist? It's not going to happen. Maybe during the playoffs, but until then? Nope. You ask your typical American: Sidney Crosby or LeBron James, in a popularity contest.

Yeah, it's not even close.

NHL has always been an underground/cult following. Accept it, and you'll be much happier in your lives.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote