HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky?

Old
02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Dubinsky?

Islander's fan coming in peace. I'm just wondering what in the world is going on with Brandon Dubinsky ? Unlike most fans in the Islanders/Rangers rivalry, I actually like some Ranger's players. Callahan, he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played, plays hard, hits hard, skates hard, does everything right, and is a great leader. Lundqvist, first ballot hall of fame goalie, what else can be said. Staal, a great young defensman, same goes for Girardi. These are just a few of my favorite Rangers to watch, and wish they were Islanders.

That being said, Dubinsky seemed like a star in the making, in fact, I had some Ranger's friends of mine a couple of years ago tell me they wouldn't trade Dubinsky straight up for Tavares (I'm sure their views might have changed by now). Now he seems like an afterthought on the Rangers team, so many prospects (Anisimov & Callahan for example) have passed him by, and he seems like a shell of even last's years version, which seemed to be his break out season. I haven't watched many Ranger's games this year, so I'm hoping for some insight. Dubinsky is my favorite Ranger's player.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

He isn't driving to the net and moving his feet nearly enough.

The one time I had seen him do it was against the Islanders on Decemeber 26th.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
ThirdEye

He had a good season last year, but Tortorella used him to death because Gaborik was out/ineffective. He was also playing for a new contract

I'm a little worried that this Dubinsky is the one we'll be seeing more often than not. Still a decent player, but not worth the money we gave him. Callahan is far and away a better player

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

I think we saw some potential last year, and he's just having an off year.

Before you take some of these answers seriously, remember this is the same board that gave up on Marion Gaborik almost entirely.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I think we saw some potential last year, and he's just having an off year.

Before you take some of these answers seriously, remember this is the same board that gave up on Marion Gaborik almost entirely.
And the same board that is going to tear off Torts' head when Biron starts tonight against Chicago...

...and the same fanbase that will crucify and hang Brian Boyle if he hit's the post (but praise a player like Blair Betts).

...and the one that started threads such as King Henrik <<< Prince Chad and Petr Prucha >> Sidney Crosby.

...let's not forget "This is a bad hockey team!"

...you get the idea.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
scott99

I also hear rumors that Dubinsky would go in the Nash trade. I'd hate to see him given up on so soon, but I guess you have to give back a lot to get someone like Nash.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I also hear rumors that Dubinsky would go in the Nash trade. I'd hate to see him given up on so soon, but I guess you have to give back a lot to get someone like Nash.
Luckily (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I don't think Management or Sather or as reactive, bipolar, and insipid as the fanbase.

Nash is not the answer. Guy has a 7.8 million cap hit? I think he's hit 70 points once in his career? For a big guy, he doesn't use his body and is a lazy back-checker.

I want nothing to do with him. Wait until July 1st and see what you can get then. Don't risk and overpay for trades now.

Old
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
in fact, I had some Ranger's friends of mine a couple of years ago tell me they wouldn't trade Dubinsky straight up for Tavares
Wow. I would love some of whatever those guys were smoking! You would have to be the most homer of Ranger homers to think that. Tavares is elite. Dubi while being a nice player, is wildly inconsistent and nowhere near JTs level.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
scott99

Well, good luck to you guys with Dubinsky. I hope he turns it around, he has so much talent, speed, hands, can fight, he can truly just be an all around beast.

Your team looks incredible this year, Lundqvist looks insanely good this year, and you guys have it all, scoring, secondary scoring, great young tough defense, and great goaltending. Good luck the rest of the way, except, of course, if the Isles somehow slip into the playoffs and face you guys (let us win one game please, lol).

Old
02-16-2012, 11:02 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
Wow. I would love some of whatever those guys were smoking! You would have to be the most homer of Ranger homers to think that. Tavares is elite. Dubi while being a nice player, is wildly inconsistent and nowhere near JTs level.
Seriously.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
Luckily (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I don't think Management or Sather or as reactive, bipolar, and insipid as the fanbase.

Nash is not the answer. Guy has a 7.8 million cap hit? I think he's hit 70 points once in his career? For a big guy, he doesn't use his body and is a lazy back-checker.

I want nothing to do with him. Wait until July 1st and see what you can get then. Don't risk and overpay for trades now.
I HATE....HATE the argument about backchecking and defensive awareness when talking about your wingers.

LIterally, they are the least important defensive part of the club. If your center is a lazy backchecker, thats a problem. if your defenseman are constantly caught on the wrong side of the puck, that's a problem. if your goalie sucks, thats a problem. Defense in wingers arent nearly as important as their ability to score goals, unless you are talking about your PK.

Again, they shouldnt be idiotic, and they should be able to follow a relatively simple defensive posture that we play (protect the house) but by and large, they need to be in on the forecheck, and skating hard...defense for us is about attacking the puck rather than "backchecking".

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Honestly, Dubinsky is just having an off year when it comes to his offense. He's still doing everything else at a high level. His defensive game or effort hasn't dropped off at all. He's still one of our best PKers, his puck possession/boardwork is still the best on the team, he still hits everything in sight, and still drops the gloves when he needs to. He just doesn't have confidence in his offensive game.

Dubinsky is at his best when he's keeping his game simple, going straight to the net and creating havoc. He was in a goal-scoring slump to start the season. He hit a bunch of posts and got straight-up robbed a bunch of times. That hurt his confidence, and the pressure of living up to his new contract looked to be weighing on him. He started trying to do too much with the puck, passing up great shots to try and pass to someone, or stickhandling too much while trying to find an open man. This further compounded his issues.

However, he has been getting back his offensive game lately. He's racking up assists and making smart plays, he just isn't putting it in the net very often. I think you'll see him come alive down the stretch. This team is 1st in the east despite his struggles, and he looks to be getting his confidence back.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
drewcon40

A couple of years ago, on these boards, I was hoping (key word: hoping) that Dubinsky would be a player like Rod Brind'Amour. Both are about 6'1 in the 200 to 215 ish lb range. I believe they are both lefty shooters.

I am not sure Dubinksy will match Brind'Amour's numbers in his prime. I peeked over at hockeydb.

Dubinsky
Brind'Amour

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I'm still high on Dubinsky, but if he were included in a package to upgrade the LW spot, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I HATE....HATE the argument about backchecking and defensive awareness when talking about your wingers.

Again, they shouldnt be idiotic, and they should be able to follow a relatively simple defensive posture that we play (protect the house) but by and large, they need to be in on the forecheck, and skating hard...defense for us is about attacking the puck rather than "backchecking".
I understand that. In your opinion, he is worth it. I simply disagree with getting a 7.8 million dollar winger who has seen 70 points once in his NHL career.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:59 AM
WeWillWinTonight

He's doing a lot of good stuff just not finding the twine

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
I understand that. In your opinion, he is worth it. I simply disagree with getting a 7.8 million dollar winger who has seen 70 points once in his NHL career.
and i can respect that side of the argument...youd like to see higher points from the guy, of course the flip side is, he's always had garbage to work with. nobody to feed him the puck, no good defenseman to up the puck to him, long sustained periods of having to defend because they suck so bad. having the entire oppositions game plan be centered around shutting him down, etc.

i just dont buy the whole defense for wingers argument. its just not important to me when talking about a player like Nash, Kovalchuk, etc.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
eco's bones

He's had an off season scoring wise--other than that he's fine and has been doing all the things he's done in the past. Good pk'er. Good defensively. Cycles the puck really well. Hits and sticks up for his teammates.

And I don't agree at all that Anisimov has passed him by. Artem has an up and down year scoring as well. Artem does not have as much of a physical game. They're both 2nd line multi-dimensional guys.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He's had an off season scoring wise--other than that he's fine and has been doing all the things he's done in the past. Good pk'er. Good defensively. Cycles the puck really well. Hits and sticks up for his teammates.

And I don't agree at all that Anisimov has passed him by. Artem has an up and down year scoring as well. Artem does not have as much of a physical game. They're both 2nd line multi-dimensional guys.
They're both 2nd dimension guys for now, but both are suffering under Torts D system which might be good for the team, but is tough on the players and in which goal scoring tends to suffer.

Dubi still does lots of good stuff when not scoring, is very versatile.
Personal preference only, I keep AA.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:

LIterally, they are the least important defensive part of the club. If your center is a lazy backchecker, thats a problem. if your defenseman are constantly caught on the wrong side of the puck, that's a problem. if your goalie sucks, thats a problem. Defense in wingers arent nearly as important as their ability to score goals, unless you are talking about your PK.

What about Ryan Callahan?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I think the size of the contract has weighed heavily on him earlier in the season, then he stratred pressing for things to happen and it's all unraveled for him offensively.

What I love aout Brandon Dubinsky is that he sat down with Torts and was told that as long as he is doing everything else the right way, back checking, playing physical, being a good defensive player and working the boards well, that his lack of offence (while hurtful) can be managed and Dubi has done a great job of being one of the better defensive/grinding forwards the Rangers have.

He's a valuable piece to what we have going on, but without question is a very available asset.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
i believe this and he has even said it...the weight of the contract is too much...i think playoffs he was really pick it up and we will see the old dubi and next season even more of the old dubi, just this first season his mind is messing with him...i think it is just a down year for him offensively like gabby had last year

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:

Don't think I could disagree more.

The Rangers force everything to the outside, in that sense it's imparative for the wingers to back check as diligently as possible.

The Center is always the high man on the forecheck and when the puck gets past the forecheckers, it's extremely important for the wingers to get back and limit the time and space between the wingers and our defence so that there is help all over the ice.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Affinity

He's just having an off year. I think he'll be big for us come playoff time. He has 15 playoff points in 22 career playoff games. I'd take a bigger showing in the playoffs over the regular season anytime.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Richards and Dubinsky are both huge playoff performers. They're gonna make us even better once April comes around

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote