HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 9.0: ..."You want to rip apart this team and do WHAT?"

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

vCash: 500
naw..,

Old
02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It was a joke.

C'mon now...
Just bustin' your chaps mang,

Old
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Can we give him more than 4 games before we determine if we need to replace him or not?
Eminger was always a depth guy. having him as the spare only helps going into the playoffs

Old
02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Eminger was always a depth guy. having him as the spare only helps going into the playoffs
But before his injury he was playing at a highly sufficient level for a 3rd pairing guy. Why do we have to give up picks and a prospect for another 3rd pairing guy when we may not have to?

Edit: I know what some will say to answer to my question, and that's depth.

Last edited by Stugots: 02-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
Uhh Eminger? Strong?! He has been dreadful since coming back, taking the stupidest penalties...Kubina would be a HUGE upgrade over him...
Then you need to watch Kubina play. He takes his fair share of penalties.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:02 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i just dont see the need for a defenseman. i rarely look at any of our D and say...the guy is playing like Marek Malik did.

there really isnt anyone on this team id consider a whipping boy that we'd need to upgrade them. all 6 D are quite strong.
If Sauer was healthy, I would agree. But you currently have Girardi-McD playing over 25 minutes a game (in the regular season). This is a recipe for disaster.

Ideally, you need a veteran former top 4 playing a 5-6 role (ex. Kubina, Hamrlik-like player). They can play over 20 minutes in a pinch, albeit not for long stretches. That's much better than relying on a Bickel/Woywitka in case of the inevitable playoff injuries.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Then you need to watch Kubina play. He takes his fair share of penalties.
The difference is Kubina is playing as a top-4 in TB and taking a couple of penalties because he is a solid bottom-pairing guy. Eminger is playing on the 3rd pairing and taking a couple of penalties because he is a decent #6 and a solid #7.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

kubina - staal would be a solid 3rd pairing going into the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The difference is Kubina is playing as a top-4 in TB and taking a couple of penalties because he is a solid bottom-pairing guy. Eminger is playing on the 3rd pairing and taking a couple of penalties because he is a decent #6 and a solid #7.
To be fair, Kubina's PIMs are always high. He's big, strong, and mean. As a result, he has always taken his fair share of penalties (including a lot of "bad" penalties).

Old
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Love the thread title! Some people really need to stop advocating trading half the team.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

even in his 4 games i havent had a problem with Emingers play. i think hes been aggressive.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
If Sauer was healthy, I would agree. But you currently have Girardi-McD playing over 25 minutes a game (in the regular season). This is a recipe for disaster.

Ideally, you need a veteran former top 4 playing a 5-6 role (ex. Kubina, Hamrlik-like player). They can play over 20 minutes in a pinch, albeit not for long stretches. That's much better than relying on a Bickel/Woywitka in case of the inevitable playoff injuries.
Rangers are going to play their top 4 huge mins in the playoffs...thats going to be Staal, Girardi, MCD, and MDZ in some way shape or form. 5 and 6 will be lucky to get 10 mins.

now, if theres an injury there, its going to REALLY hurt us...but i dont know if you should make a move in case there is an injury...i dunno...tough to say. wonder what Kubina would cost.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
i just dont see the need for a defenseman. i rarely look at any of our D and say...the guy is playing like Marek Malik did.

there really isnt anyone on this team id consider a whipping boy that we'd need to upgrade them. all 6 D are quite strong.
Our top six D, as they are, are great. However, injuries will happen in the playoffs. You need suitable replacements. That's the only reason I'm sure the team would want another defensemen, to provide depth in case of injury. If(big if currently) we get Sauer back AND we have Kubina, we'll be in fantastic shape for the playoffs even with some injuries.

Edit: This is all of course if Kubina is reasonably priced. If he is too much then yea obviously pass.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
It was a joke.

C'mon now...
RL605 - I read that as a joke...no worries. I was going to suggest Stamkos.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
OverTheCap

I just don't feel confident going to war with a bunch of inexperienced playoff defenseman. Let's not forget that this is going to be Del Zotto and Stralman's first playoffs, and none of our defenseman have ever experienced a deep run. There's no equivalent of Chara/Campbell/Gonchar/etc. on this team, a veteran defenseman who has been through the grind before.

Adding a defenseman like Kubina would take some much needed pressure off our top defensemen as well as young defensemen who may be feeling the heat. Having a veteran defenseman like that in the locker room can't hurt. And he's not washed up like McCabe was last season.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Rangers are going to play their top 4 huge mins in the playoffs...thats going to be Staal, Girardi, MCD, and MDZ in some way shape or form. 5 and 6 will be lucky to get 10 mins.

now, if theres an injury there, its going to REALLY hurt us...but i dont know if you should make a move in case there is an injury...i dunno...tough to say. wonder what Kubina would cost.
You should assume that they are going to have an injury between now and the playoffs. I would rather have Kubina on the 3rd pairing and Eminger in the pres-box ready to step in.

On top of that, IMO, they need to bring in a player who can play 18-20 minutes a night on some nights heading down the stretch as Torts needs to be able to give some of his larger minute guys some rest before the playoffs.

Kubina makes perfect sense. He blocks shots, plays physical and is a playoff vet.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Ace2008

kubina is ok...for a UFA FREE investment...paying picks/ players for him now is silly

a smarter move would be to add a speedskater to the Right handed Defense group because Girardi's lack of speed is masked by his good anticipation and ryan McDonagh's acceleration.

As for Sauer/Eminger/Bickell/Stralman...Fleet of Foot they are not.

A quality speed skater like Barrie or elliot from the Avalanche would be a good upgrade and add a bit of 2 way speed and scoring to the mostly veteran Def group. Tortorella has been solid at getting young blueliners to fit into his ethic.

As for physical power Forwards

Edmonton's Curtis Hamilton
Anaheim's D.Smith-Pelley
Chicago B.Bickell(not Stu Bickell although they could play together)
Phoenix's R.Torres(former top 5 draft pick) had a ton of hits/shots
Colorado's G.Landeskog*(only if they're willing to part w/ Dubinsky)*

and then the more expensive options like
Doan, Nash,Penner,...etc..etc...

Old
02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
drewcon40

Over The Cap - Interesting thought regarding defenseman inexperience. Girardi was on both teams that reached round 2 in that two year stretch. He would be our most experienced D. You are right, other than that we have Staal and McDonagh.

With Del Zotto and Stralman, maybe we can hope ignorance is bliss. A lack of experience in the playoffs would equate to less pressure. (I know...long shot!!) : )

Old
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Can we give him more than 4 games before we determine if we need to replace him or not?
Geez, you got that right. Everybody on here is willing to cut Staal slack even though he's been back for 20 games and has been ordinary at best. Doesn't Emminger deserve the same window of games as Staal has been given?

Old
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensch View Post

Again Really?
I think he was being sarcastic just waiting for Bernmeisters posts that with out a doubt always contain some combination of the Rangers acquiring Taylor Hall using some crazy mathematical formula.

Old
02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I think he was being sarcastic just waiting for Bernmeisters posts that with out a doubt always contain some combination of the Rangers acquiring Taylor Hall using some crazy mathematical formula.
i know i was teasing him

Old
02-16-2012, 12:59 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Over The Cap - Interesting thought regarding defenseman inexperience. Girardi was on both teams that reached round 2 in that two year stretch. He would be our most experienced D. You are right, other than that we have Staal and McDonagh.

With Del Zotto and Stralman, maybe we can hope ignorance is bliss. A lack of experience in the playoffs would equate to less pressure. (I know...long shot!!) : )
Let's hope so for sure! I remember Staal played well in his first playoffs but the next year he struggled a bit. McDonagh experienced some growing pains in his first playoff series which led to a costly mistake in Game 4.

One never can tell with these things. In the 2009 series against the Caps, Staal and Girardi were outplayed by Redden and Rozy. I've seen veterans like Hal Gill stink it up in the regular season and then turn it on in the playoffs. If a veteran defenseman can be had on the cheap then it's worth a shot.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Let's hope so for sure! I remember Staal played well in his first playoffs but the next year he struggled a bit. McDonagh experienced some growing pains in his first playoff series which led to a costly mistake in Game 4.

One never can tell with these things. In the 2009 series against the Caps, Staal and Girardi were outplayed by Redden and Rozy. I've seen veterans like Hal Gill stink it up in the regular season and then turn it on in the playoffs. If a veteran defenseman can be had on the cheap then it's worth a shot.
I agree and not only would it benefit us as far as depth but we can hope having that veteran presence there would take some of the mental pressure off some of the young guys and mentor them through their mistakes.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Onion Boy

Ray Whitney and Pavel Kubina, please.

A decent combination of picks/prospects plus Wolski (strictly for cap purposes) should get it done.

Old
02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Seriously, forget Kubina.
Zenith was pushing for A Martinez from the Kings a bit back, and would be a better full time investment than a pure rental. Young, good shot, good fit.

Kings need wings. My discussion on their board a while back is they were largely good with something around Martinez for Christian Thomas as principles.

Do we have a better immediate insurance policy for our D?
What a novel concept...a hockey trade. Unfortunately the Kings need wingers now, not in the future. Lombardi unlikely to survive another non playoff season.

Closed Thread