HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings/Lightning Post Game Thoughts 01/17/06

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Rob Stauber*

vCash: 500
Kings/Lightning Post Game Thoughts 01/17/06

I know, it's only the second intermission but this is like Rutgers beating the New England Patriots. It ain't happening.

I had an epiphany.

I can't blame Andy Murray.

I can't blame the special teams.

I can't blame Dave Taylor.

Its all on AEG. They are content with making money this year. As a result, if we don't get some players healthy soon, then this is the roster thats going to be playing the rest of the year.

Can't blame the players. Theyre young. They make some mistakes but theyre growing. Depending on your AHL affiliate to help you make the playoffs is unfair to those kids.

I don't blame Dave Taylor, because I truly think AEG just will not dish out any dough.

And now Garon's out............

will this 5 year injury nightmare never end ? What have I done to have this curse bestowed upon me ? It's not fair!

Kill me!

.......and Van Boxmeer

Old
01-17-2006, 11:17 PM
kingsfan25

I hope they can limp to the Olympic break with a semi-decent record...I'm banking on them getting a lot of players back after that.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
I hope they can limp to the Olympic break with a semi-decent record...I'm banking on them getting a lot of players back after that.

If we can somehow maintain a playoff position at the Olympic break, will be fine.

But with Atlanta & SJ coming in the next 2 games, its gonna be damn near impossible.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:29 PM
devilinto

Come on guys. Keep the hope. We all know being KINGS fans is not all good times...lol

Old
01-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO
Come on guys. Keep the hope. We all know being KINGS fans is not all good times...lol

Ive been keeping hope for almost 20 years now with this team.

It gets old after a while........

Old
01-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stauber

will this 5 year injury nightmare never end ? What have I done to have this curse bestowed upon me ? It's not fair!

Kill me!

.......and Van Boxmeer
MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old
01-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Osprey

The whole coaching staff needs to go. No one behind the bench is worth keeping, IMO. AM doesn't know who to play in which situations, VB doesn't know how to get a team to play well on the powerplay, and I don't really see any results that can be pinned on any of the others.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-18-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old
01-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
The whole coaching staff needs to go.

Thats a bit strong.

This team has absolutely no one left.

we went from 4 very good lines to one-half good line.

We're without arguably our 4 best players (Miller, Vis, Frolov, Demitra) & a couple other key contributors in JR & Ebel.

I wish we could turn injuries off like I do on my xbox.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
We're without arguably our 4 best players (Miller, Vis, Frolov, Demitra) & a couple other key contributors in JR & Ebel.
It's pretty obvious that the team's problems go beyond having a few players missing. That should be fairly clear from the last two games. Other teams (like Philadelphia) have had injuries, as well, and they haven't performed face-plants (except Montreal, but they still held their coach accountable and fired him).

Last edited by Osprey: 01-18-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old
01-18-2006, 12:15 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
It's pretty obvious that the team's problems go beyond having a few players missing. That should be fairly clear from the last two games.
Really? I'll have to disagree.

Frolov..
Demitra..
Visnovsky..

Our three best players.. gone.

Miller..
Belanger..
Roenick.. (hasn't played well but its better than Matt Ryan, and if he plays like he did in Vancouver he could still be a difference maker.)
Garon..

All key elements to our success. Miller is huge defensivley. After our top line Belanger has been one of the best players on the Kings. Roenick is a serviceable 3rd liner. Garon even though he's only missed this game is still huge.

When you have Dempsey, Weaver, Grebeshkov, AND Petiot on your blue line.. How can you expect to win a hockey game?

Old
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's pretty obvious that the team's problems go beyond having a few players missing. That should be fairly clear from the last two games.
Demitra, Visnovsky, and Frolov are gigantic subtractions for this team. Just look at their points. They are 3 of the Kings top 4 producers. Still, I agree the problems are far beyond missing these players. I imagine it isn't easy for a player to instantly change his role on the team and fill in for a players that have been carrying the team, especially when they are a different caliber player. Sorry, but Avery is not Demitra and Brown is not Frolov.

The defense was terrible this game... not just defensively, but the lack of puck control usually starts with a good pass or rush from the defense. Visnovsky is HUGE in that respect. I don't think we have anybody that can fill those shoes right now. Eventually it looks like Grebeshkov could be that type of player but he certainly isn't ready especially after what we saw tonight. Corvo's stock is falling fast, so much that I may join the Corvo-bashing bandwagon after putting him in our top 3 defensemen earlier this season.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
How can you expect to win a hockey game?
I'm not even talking about winning. A well-coached group of players (even non-stars) should be able to avoid looking lost, especially to a non-playoff team and on the powerplay. These last two games, the Kings have looked out there like they were uncoached.

To everyone who points to the major injuries, let me say this: if Demitra and Visnovsky (and others) are the difference between a team that can pass cleanly, take shots and get chances and one that is utterly and completely lost, what does that say about the coaches? Doesn't that suggest that the coaches contribute little to nothing and that it's all about the health of star players? Why all of the objection to a changing of the guard, then? Imagine if the team could actually compete when really banged up, then also imagine how powerful such a team would be when healthy.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-18-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old
01-18-2006, 12:36 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
I'm not even talking about winning. A well-coached group of players (even non-stars) should be able to avoid looking lost, especially to a non-playoff team and on the powerplay. These last two games, the Kings have looked out there like they were uncoached.

If Demitra and Visnovsky are the difference between a powerplay that can pass cleanly, take shots and get chances and one that is utterly and completely lost, what does that say about the coaches? Doesn't that suggest that the coaches contribute little to nothing and that it's all about the health of star players? Imagine if the team could actually compete when really banged up, then also imagine how powerful such a team would be when healthy.
I agree with you as far as the coaching goes. Van Boxmeer needs to go. And probably some other guys as well. I say keep AM.. But get some other assistants, and priority #1.. a new PP coach.

You can't win with virtually an AHL line up. You can't. They have a bunch of scrubs on their blue line, and Conroy-Armstrong-Robitaille aren't gonna get the job done up front. You need Frolov, and Demitra.

Old
01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Fat Elvis

OK, morning after the game and here are some thoughts from the end of the ice where the Kings defend twice;

Our D is just not good enough to compete against decent teams. Matty played a solid game and did the simple things right. Gleason was alright but it'd be nice to have him paired with a vet, it's too much at this point to have him play that role. Dempsey and Weaver are decent #7's and it's tough relying on them for anything else, they just aren't talented enough to play 18-20+ min a night. Grebs is either ok or bad, there's no middle ground. Having him paired with corvo is just plain stupid. Corvo as a defensemen sucks. He does his little stick handle one play and then is completely lost on the next. Not good for Grebs to witness as his partner. I would move corvo as fast as possible, his stock will never be any higher.

Brown, Avery and Guliano were the only forwards that showed up and made anything happen. Luc is old. Army and Conroy need to step it up to help fill any void left from the injured and sick up front. Cammy can not be asked to play 24 min a game or he'll be the next on the IR. Why Parros only gets -5 min a game is confusing because he does create some problems for opposing D, he hits and makes space and screens goalies. Should be getting more ice time imo, I'd stick him on the PP and place him infront of the net sounds logical to me.

Goaltending, well it just not great right now. It is hard to ask them to be superman and save everything, but we may need that the next few games. Listening to the "not in uniform tonight" list was a hit on the confidence before the puck was even dropped. In short our goalies could be better.

Coaching staff;
Pairing Grebs with corvo is dumb. To be honest, I could care less if they stay or go. Replace them with another coaching staff and it may be better or it may be worse, but it may be different. Different coaching I'm not sure is the problem.

Personnel;
This is where our problem is. 3 seasons of injuries. It's not just a coincidence any longer. I'd make a few bold moves to get some D help. Move Grebs + 2nd for Boynton and sign him to a 3 yr deal. I'd try and get Roberts for a pick and Karlsson. We need to be WAY more active in keeping this team competitive.

I need some coffee.

Closed Thread