HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you rather have? Carter or Nash?

Old
02-16-2012, 01:15 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

vCash: 500
Who would you rather have? Carter or Nash?

Lombardi is rumored to be in talks with Howson of CLB. I think its safe to assume they are discussing both Carter and Nash. So who would be a better fit for the Kings? They would obviously command different returns. I would think a trade for Nash would look something like this....

Nash

for

JJ
Bernier
Toffoli
Stoll

Carter maybe....

Carter

for

Voynov
Toffoli
Stoll
2nd
(not sure if kings would have to add another piece to fit under cap. Can someone confirm?)

So which trade makes more sense? Does either trade make the Kings a better team? I feel the value is their for both players.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
The Judge

There's a Poll for this already. But it's more extensive.

Link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1106819

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
ZJames

I do not want jeff carter. Hes another center, and the kings need a winger. A big turnoff for me is the attitude that hes had over in Columbus. plus he has a loooong time still left on that contract

I would love to have nash, but that cap hit is really bad. but at this point I think Id rather have him than carter.

And I dont want to part with toffoli.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
I do not want jeff carter. Hes another center, and the kings need a winger. A big turnoff for me is the attitude that hes had over in Columbus. plus he has a loooong time still left on that contract

I would love to have nash, but that cap hit is really bad. but at this point I think Id rather have him than carter.

And I dont want to part with toffoli.
Exactly.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
bobafettish*

both of those packages? neither.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Nash for Bernier and Johnson.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Lombardi is rumored to be in talks with Howson of CLB. I think its safe to assume they are discussing both Carter and Nash. So who would be a better fit for the Kings? They would obviously command different returns. I would think a trade for Nash would look something like this....

Nash

for

JJ
Bernier
Toffoli
Stoll

Carter maybe....

Carter

for

Voynov
Toffoli
Stoll
2nd
(not sure if kings would have to add another piece to fit under cap. Can someone confirm?)

So which trade makes more sense? Does either trade make the Kings a better team? I feel the value is their for both players.
For Nash:
- Bernier
- Johnson
- Penner
- Lower-tier prospect/late round pick

I'll take either at this point, just want to see the puck go in the net for the Kings.

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
moosehead81

Carter's a bad fit in LA- he's a center who has shown he has no interest in playing wing. Nash would be a great fit; top 3 or 6 winger, pp player and great on the penalty kill. Imagine him and Richards killing penalties and did he not play with Toews and Richards on the gold medal Olympic team, creating one of their most effective 2 way lines? Make the trade!

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
The most I'd do for Nash is Bernier, Penner and Johnson.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
28kings28

Nash for Bernier, Johnson, Penner and a pick.

28kings28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I want Carter, but for those packages you listed, I'd want neither.

Just flat out do not want Nash.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Carter's a bad fit in LA- he's a center who has shown he has no interest in playing wing. Nash would be a great fit; top 3 or 6 winger, pp player and great on the penalty kill. Imagine him and Richards killing penalties and did he not play with Toews and Richards on the gold medal Olympic team, creating one of their most effective 2 way lines? Make the trade!
Wait, what? Who says he's not interested in playing wing? He is a natural centre but he played a full season on RW in Philly and scored over 30 goals. Has he actually come out and said he won't play wing?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Wait, what? Who says he's not interested in playing wing? He is a natural centre but he played a full season on RW in Philly and scored over 30 goals. Has he actually come out and said he won't play wing?
I think they try to say that they prefer the natural winger of a converted center.

And if someone asks me, we need a sniper winger badly.
But even more we need to turn the team around to play hockey again.
I was really concerned about what Murray did to the team but i was convinced
it would be gone by March.
Right now it looks more danegrous than i thought.
I hope the youngster don't have a life time damage when it comes to hockey vision and creativity.

We need a young fresh coach and a new beginning next year.
Sutter is Murray part deux. Too old and not able to adapt to the new NHL.
Not to mention to teach some crazy offense moves in practice.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
See, this. Just because someone is primarily a centre doesn't mean he can't play wing. It's easier to go from a centre to a wing. To man y posters pigeon-hole a guy at a poistion for life like it's almost as odd to see someone change positions as it is to see a no armed pitcher in the big leagues.

Brent Burns moved to defense from wing when coming to the NHL, and that's a very tough transition. I have little doubt Carter can play the wing and do it well. Given he'd be getting out a situation he's obviosuly not happy with and coming to a team which has his BFF and other familiar faces (Stevens for example) I doubt he'd be to worry about playing the wing.

Old
02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

I still want Carter. More reasonable cap hit, team familiarity, pure sniper, and his NMC dissolves if we take on his contract, meaning we can always try and move him if things don't work out.

Plus we can acquire him for significantly less than we'd have to give for Nash.

You don't think it might add a little jump to Carter's game to be back on a contender with his best friend, and in a city that's, I don't know, slightly more exciting than C-bus?

The Richards/Carter duo got to game 6 of the Cup finals (yes, aware he was injured but he was a big part of the team). I'll take that familiarity and experience all day long and twice on Sundays.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:11 PM
lumbergh

Carter, so we can take that cap space and sign Quick July 1.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
johnjm22

I'd take either one, but preferably Nash.

I have more confidence that RN would be able to produce in our system.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Actually I'll bow to our friends from Philadelphia who may remember more clearly, but I certainly don't recall Jeff Carter playing a "full" season at RW. I do recall him playing portions of seasons at wing with Richards at one time and perhaps Briere at others. The general set-up over those latter years was Briere at wing with Richards and Carter as your 1 and 2 or vice versa. When Giroux came into his own about a third of the way thru last season, Richards essentially became a 3rd line center playing lots with Carcillo and Versteeg, when he came over from Toronto. When Carter was at wing for those short periods of time during his stay in Philadelphia, my sense was he didn't look (or play) too happy. He's also not great on the boards with his body which was often complained about by fans in Philadelphia. However, I stand to be corrected if wrong on this, and still contend that Nash would be a far better fit in LA than Carter. The very last thing you want is 3 top line centers vying for prime ice time.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
I still want Carter. More reasonable cap hit, team familiarity, pure sniper, and his NMC dissolves if we take on his contract, meaning we can always try and move him if things don't work out.
It was already disolved when Columbus took him. Someone posted in another thread that Columbus elected to void that clause when they traded for him initially.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'd rather have Cash.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:26 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
See, this. Just because someone is primarily a centre doesn't mean he can't play wing. It's easier to go from a centre to a wing. To man y posters pigeon-hole a guy at a poistion for life like it's almost as odd to see someone change positions as it is to see a no armed pitcher in the big leagues.

Brent Burns moved to defense from wing when coming to the NHL, and that's a very tough transition. I have little doubt Carter can play the wing and do it well. Given he'd be getting out a situation he's obviosuly not happy with and coming to a team which has his BFF and other familiar faces (Stevens for example) I doubt he'd be to worry about playing the wing.
I'm not saying Carter "cannot" play wing- just that he never seemed too happy to do so when that change was made for short periods of time in Philadelphia. Also, his board play is not that great; he's an open ice player with a great release and hard shot, particularly from the offensive face-off areas. However, he'd probably happily play goal if given the chance to escape Columbus, so maybe he'd be just as happy to play wing. Just saying if he gets unhappy you might have a problem. I certainly don't want to see Richards at wing over Carter playing center- Richards is a far better play-maker than Carter IMO.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'd rather have Cash.
Johnny ?

/or

Tango's partner ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The most I'd do for Nash is Bernier, Penner and Johnson.
As much as I love young american defenseman I would be stoked at this trade.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:36 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Actually I'll bow to our friends from Philadelphia who may remember more clearly, but I certainly don't recall Jeff Carter playing a "full" season at RW. I do recall him playing portions of seasons at wing with Richards at one time and perhaps Briere at others. The general set-up over those latter years was Briere at wing with Richards and Carter as your 1 and 2 or vice versa. When Giroux came into his own about a third of the way thru last season, Richards essentially became a 3rd line center playing lots with Carcillo and Versteeg, when he came over from Toronto. When Carter was at wing for those short periods of time during his stay in Philadelphia, my sense was he didn't look (or play) too happy. He's also not great on the boards with his body which was often complained about by fans in Philadelphia. However, I stand to be corrected if wrong on this, and still contend that Nash would be a far better fit in LA than Carter. The very last thing you want is 3 top line centers vying for prime ice time.
He played RW and LW for parts of each year of his career and is a deadly winger on the PP.

I like them both but Nash translates better to the current regime... for however long that lasts.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
jimmy1100

I want Jeff Carter. Not going to comment on the deals proposed short of saying I'd be comfortable dealing some combination of a 1st, Lokti, Voynov, A-Mart, Penner and Stoll. Not ALL of them, but a combination of them.

I do not want anyone that costs us JJ or Toffoli.

If the above items can't get Carter, then I pass.

EDIT: I forgot to include Bernier. He's available as well.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote