HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of tri-state Rangers fans

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2012, 07:04 AM
  #26
GloveSave35
Registered User
 
GloveSave35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
In Ohio (whole family in NY/NJ). Have Time Warner Cable + Sports package that adds a handful of games per month. This gets me about 60-70% of games. When that doesn't do it, I find an HD stream (when possible) and hook it up via an HDMI cable to the television.

Recently got a ROKU and am about to get Gamecenter live.

No one in this area seems to care much about hockey. A few random Penguins fans from the old Cleveland Lumberjacks days. But that's about it. So no one has any problem with us being Rangers fans... they just don't get why we "waste" our time on hockey.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
  #27
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
TWC customer living Midtown East. Might as well be in Siberia. Streamo FTW.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:40 AM
  #28
Vinny
Registered User
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Oi fellas!

Me and my father lurking these forums for years already, never made a post till now. My father is a die hard Rangers fan and does not miss a thing or stat. I am a rangers fan since Messier joined the ranks, before that I was routing the Oilers because of him but after 94 the rangers are in my heart.

I am from the Netherlands and I have a NHL.com membership and that is awesome, you watch all games in full HD quality and you can also choose the feed, and if you are a subscriber in the USA, you can watch it by PS3 or TV.

I watch my games starting at 1.00 am and they usually end 3.30 am but if I am too tired you can watch the game back the next day after work, I love it.

Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
  #29
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,395
vCash: 500
Question for those with GCL:

Can you start a game from the beginning when it is still going on? If I get home from work and the game is still in the 3rd, can I start at the beginning or do I need to wait for it to finish and be available as "archived"?

This is all that has kept me with Comcast CI, the ability to DVR a game while I'm working and stet mid-way. Other than that CI on Comcast blows: 90% SD, almost never the MSG feed. Get Directv of you can.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
  #30
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Question for those with GCL:

Can you start a game from the beginning when it is still going on? If I get home from work and the game is still in the 3rd, can I start at the beginning or do I need to wait for it to finish and be available as "archived"?

This is all that has kept me with Comcast CI, the ability to DVR a game while I'm working and stet mid-way. Other than that CI on Comcast blows: 90% SD, almost never the MSG feed. Get Directv of you can.
Yes u can watch a game from the start while it is still being played. It basically acts exactly like a dvr. The only trick is to make sure the scores are off. There is a selection at the top of the screen to turn them off otherwise you will see goal icons in the status bar on the bottom and all the game scores up top.

Lately there seems to be some kind of short preview cause I have watched parts of games before logging in, might try that but it could be a glitch.

Also, don't think it was mentioned but gamecast is only for out of market games. just an fyi for everyone.


Last edited by truebluegoalie: 02-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
  #31
robkore
Registered User
 
robkore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
In Houston, TX. I survive with Gamecenter Live on my PS3, streams when a game is on NHL network (not available on AT&T), or random excursions to the one hockey bar in the entire city. I make the trip up to Dallas when the Rangers come through every couple of years, and try to go to a bunch of AHL games here in Houston when I can. I like to root for old Rangers in the AHL--I've seen Jed Ortmeyer play a bunch of games here on the Aeros, always liked that kid. Also saw Grachev earlier this year on St. Louis' farm club, Prucha on Phoenix's, and Jessiman on Chicago's. Makes it bearable.

robkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
  #32
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,831
vCash: 500
Center Ice, NHL Network, NBC Sports Network and XM Radio. Oh and the New York newspapers and Twitter deserve a mention too.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:11 AM
  #33
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
I'm up in Providence, RI, home of the P-Bruins, so it's wall-to-wall black and yellow here, but a good little hockey town. It's nice to catch a cheap 'Pack/Whale game down the street every now and then too.

I was a CI subscriber even when I lived in Westchester. Loved it until I recently got a nice, big 1080p TV and the horror of MSG SD only broadcasts became much more apparent. I still watch Sam and Joe most nights, but I can't say I'm overly disappointed by an NBC or NESN exclusive anymore.

I like what I'm reading in this tread about Gamecenter Live. Can you ever get MSG in HD?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
  #34
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,377
vCash: 500
Lived in Miami last year for my first year of law school. Didn't have the extra $$ for gamecenter so I had to watch every single game via streams. When the Rangers had a game on Versus or NHL Network I was in a good mood the whole day looking forward to it lol

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
  #35
Hensch
Registered User
 
Hensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Living in Kelowna, BC and working for the Cable Provider does wonders, Centre Ice is a must for us, and lastly the video streams when i'm not @ home are Key!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
  #36
LetterJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Long time lurker...first time poster.

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada...Center Ice subscriber as well

LetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
  #37
Hensch
Registered User
 
Hensch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
Long time lurker...first time poster.

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada...Center Ice subscriber as well
Welcome buddy!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
  #38
koz2393
Registered User
 
koz2393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
New yorker going to school in england for a year. I just stream everything, usually from the gdt. There are enough links out there that something will always work at good enough quality. I'd agree with the others though and say its probably easiest/best to go with gamecenter since you're moving more permanently than I have.

koz2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
  #39
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
This is good to read. Makes me feel much better. Thanks for everybody's input.

Looks to me that gamecenter is very handy and favorited by many. Those of you who have streamed it over the PS3 how is the quality is it smooth, choppy, etc?

Looks like I'll get direct tv with the premium package that includes the msg msg2 if im not mistaken, correct? And of course I'll get game center as well.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
  #40
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey
 
charlie460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Hmmm how do you do this? I was thinking about something like this.
I got my DirecTV service installed here in Florida, then later emailed them to change my service address to a family member's house in NY. Once they've switched you over, you will recieve New York local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, you WON'T recieve WPIX 11/CW, or any other locals), and the New York RSNs (MSG, MSG+, MSG 2, MSG+ 2, YES, SNY, all HD.)

If you do some research online DirecTV has turned a "blind eye" to this and as long as you're paying them, they don't seem to care. Technically what you're doing is in a violation of their terms of service so keep in mind that they may suspend your service but I've been doing this (along with other people I know) for a number of years, and the nature of a satellite system is that they have no possible way of identifying your physical location. They also allow you to keep your billing address separate from your service address, so you can have your actual bills sent to your real address.

Obviously if they think you're in New York you don't have to pay for any of the sports packages and you will receive all the New York area teams.

Also, if you want to be "legitimate" and buy DirecTV along with NHL Center Ice, keep in mind that you will not be able to see MSG pre or post-games, unless you buy the "Sports Pack" which is an additional $12.99/month. From after the all star break the cost for the NHL Center Ice package is $80. (I think the price for a full season is $175, but don't quote me on this) DirecTV is also the only provider that carries nearly every game in HD (and always MSG broadcasts, including all overflow channels.) Cable providers have limited bandwidth and only provide 1-4 (typically only 1 or 2) games in HD on a single night.

If you have any other questions about this let me know.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
  #41
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
This is good to read. Makes me feel much better. Thanks for everybody's input.

Looks to me that gamecenter is very handy and favorited by many. Those of you who have streamed it over the PS3 how is the quality is it smooth, choppy, etc?

Looks like I'll get direct tv with the premium package that includes the msg msg2 if im not mistaken, correct? And of course I'll get game center as well.
I don't know about anyone else, but I experience some choppiness for about 5 minutes of the 2nd period at the same time every single game. Don't know why it happens. Other than that it's good.

Also, on PS3, it takes them a long time to put up the game after it ends. If you get home in the 3rd period, you'll have access to the whole game starting from the beginning. If you get home just after the game ends, you'll end up waiting a couple of hours for the feed on PS3. It's available more quickly through the website.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
  #42
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Oi fellas!

Me and my father lurking these forums for years already, never made a post till now. My father is a die hard Rangers fan and does not miss a thing or stat. I am a rangers fan since Messier joined the ranks, before that I was routing the Oilers because of him but after 94 the rangers are in my heart.

I am from the Netherlands and I have a NHL.com membership and that is awesome, you watch all games in full HD quality and you can also choose the feed, and if you are a subscriber in the USA, you can watch it by PS3 or TV.

I watch my games starting at 1.00 am and they usually end 3.30 am but if I am too tired you can watch the game back the next day after work, I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
Long time lurker...first time poster.

Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada...Center Ice subscriber as well
Welcome to both of you. Glad to have you.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
  #43
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
I moved from NY long ago. Now in DC, with my year-long stint in San Diego.

It used to be tough. I'd listen to the radio streams on NHL.com and post here. When NHL Center Ice online came out, I was in heaven.

Before the radio streams, I was ****ed. You'd just have to go buy the NYT from the stores in the morning and hope there was a Rangers article. I'd also subscribe to The Hockey News and whatever else I'd see on store shelves. Read box scores and recaps on ESPN. It was awful.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
  #44
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I might be. Do you do the same NY service address thing with direct TV?

And another plus with the realignment hopefully the rangers comes to the west more.
nope? with the sports package i can get any feed in the NHL, i usually watch it on MSG. problem is for nationally televised games you have to watch/record that feed over the MSG feed.

When i look at a game, first i go to channel 215 (nhl network) to make sure it isnt there, then 603 (VS), then 634 (msghd) in that order. When its on VS or NHLN i make sure to still record the MSGHD pregame and postgame so i can watch torts' interviews.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
  #45
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
I'm only in Philly so its not nearly that far, I get to between 5 and 10 games in MSG a year PLUS I go to all 3 rangers games in Philly and try to make at least one or two road trips every season. And, of course, I order Center Ice just like everybody else. BUT the reason I have it worse than everybody else is, I live in Philly. Philadelphians are great in general, when they start wearing Tangerine though, they become awful animals I refer to as the Clementines. The Clementines never shut their mouth, always seem to want to throw fistacuffs even if they're sorely outmanned (I'm not small), and are not nearly knowledgeable enough about hockey to back up their words. Its just never the same as being among beautiful, friendly, smart people in blue.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
  #46
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
I got my DirecTV service installed here in Florida, then later emailed them to change my service address to a family member's house in NY. Once they've switched you over, you will recieve New York local channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, you WON'T recieve WPIX 11/CW, or any other locals), and the New York RSNs (MSG, MSG+, MSG 2, MSG+ 2, YES, SNY, all HD.)

If you do some research online DirecTV has turned a "blind eye" to this and as long as you're paying them, they don't seem to care. Technically what you're doing is in a violation of their terms of service so keep in mind that they may suspend your service but I've been doing this (along with other people I know) for a number of years, and the nature of a satellite system is that they have no possible way of identifying your physical location. They also allow you to keep your billing address separate from your service address, so you can have your actual bills sent to your real address.

Obviously if they think you're in New York you don't have to pay for any of the sports packages and you will receive all the New York area teams.

Also, if you want to be "legitimate" and buy DirecTV along with NHL Center Ice, keep in mind that you will not be able to see MSG pre or post-games, unless you buy the "Sports Pack" which is an additional $12.99/month. From after the all star break the cost for the NHL Center Ice package is $80. (I think the price for a full season is $175, but don't quote me on this) DirecTV is also the only provider that carries nearly every game in HD (and always MSG broadcasts, including all overflow channels.) Cable providers have limited bandwidth and only provide 1-4 (typically only 1 or 2) games in HD on a single night.

If you have any other questions about this let me know.
This is amazing. It's something I would def look to do. Except when it comes to news and other channels you won't be getting the cali feed rather you'd be getting the NY local news right? That's the downside I assume.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
  #47
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey
 
charlie460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,604
vCash: 500
Right, you wouldn't get local news. However, if you live in a metro area where it's not hard get over-the-air reception, you can connect a cheap antenna to your receiver and get your local channels in HD OTA as well.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:09 PM
  #48
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'm curious which of our members are out of state and how you cope with being a Rangers fan. How do you get your Rangers fix?

Reason I ask this is there's a good chance that I'll be moving to Cali because of business.

I'm assuming obviously most of the out of staters have center ice and that's a must. Outside of that how do you get your fix? I'm afraid I won't be able to experience my Rangers the same way being across the country but maybe it's not that bad and i'm overreacting.
Center Ice. But when I didn't have it I tried various online services. I found the NHL's video service to be lacking - the games seemed to be blacked out more often than not. Thankfully Comcast in San Francisco offers Center Ice, though many times Rangers games are in SD, which kind of sucks too.

There are a few good bars to watch games in the city, but by and large hockey is a tertiary sport here (Giants & 49ers are far more popular) until you get further south down the valley, toward San Jose.

Where in Cali will you be going?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
  #49
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Center Ice. But when I didn't have it I tried various online services. I found the NHL's video service to be lacking - the games seemed to be blacked out more often than not. Thankfully Comcast in San Francisco offers Center Ice, though many times Rangers games are in SD, which kind of sucks too.

There are a few good bars to watch games in the city, but by and large hockey is a tertiary sport here (Giants & 49ers are far more popular) until you get further south down the valley, toward San Jose.

Where in Cali will you be going?
I'l be in the southland near La in the town of Glendale, Ca.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
  #50
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I moved from NY long ago. Now in DC, with my year-long stint in San Diego.

It used to be tough. I'd listen to the radio streams on NHL.com and post here. When NHL Center Ice online came out, I was in heaven.

Before the radio streams, I was ****ed. You'd just have to go buy the NYT from the stores in the morning and hope there was a Rangers article. I'd also subscribe to The Hockey News and whatever else I'd see on store shelves. Read box scores and recaps on ESPN. It was awful.
Wow...this makes me feel like such a spoiled brat for complaining about the lack of HD!

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.