HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Marchand will not be sanctioned for his hit

Old
02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
We need some nastiness on this team, getting bigger on its own means nothing without it.
Adding White helps

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Marchand, the rat, thinks that the Mtl fans are classless...

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Protest the Hero

I'm not all that mad considering Emelin wasn't hurt, but the NHL shouldn't be making decisions based on the result. They should suspend for the action.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Yes the league punishes result. That is the way it is and will always be. Get over it.

Can you imagine if they punished intent? There are 3-4 deadly intents per game. If you suspend everyone for intent, you remove a huge part of the physicality out of the game.

Then what are you left with? Lawn darts.

This hit was not the same as that on Salo. Time to get off the high horse.

Yes Marchand is a rat. Nobody thinks otherwise.
Listen, when you just serve a suspension for the same hit, you're justification loses a little traction. This isn't a first time offense, he's lucky Emelin didn't get hurt.

So we wait until next time, when he does hurt a player with a cheap hit and then we'll see the reactions. If the league punished players for dirty hits, even without injury, it would be better off. There is no room for clipping or kneeing, not at any point.

If that was a player from Montreal, I'd be *****ing as well. I hate the Subban slew-foots as much as the Marchand clipping incidentes.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:02 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
100% true. The Shanny bandwagon has really died off. If Emelin stays on the ice or suffers a concussion from the fall, Marchand gets 5 games.
That's indeed the problem. Sure it was not bad and Emelin was not hurt but the intent was clearly there. It would be nice if the intent was punished in cases like this as it could have ended up much worst.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Gally11

I don't think it was suspension worthy except for the fact that he's starting to get a bit of a reputation for it, probably would have been angry if Emelin got injured though.. I hope he at least got a warning to watch himself when doing that though.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
SouthernHab

This is what Gauthier does not understand.

This is what the fans of Gauthier do not understand.

The NHL is inconsistent. Marchand's hit was technically illegal. It was a gutless play. Not responding to the Marchand hit by the Canadiens was equally as gutless.

Its a damned shame to watch things like that happen. The Canadiens cannot allow **** like this to happen and need to take care of business on the ice and tell the NHL and Shanahan to go **** themselves.

White cannot fight every player on every team. He needs help.

Until then, get used to seeing Marchand trying to injure Emelin and then in the 3rd, beat down on one of our best players.....Cole.....without anyone doing anything about it.

Pathetic. And gutless on Gauthier's part for allowing this to happen.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
question is will you cheer when he does?
Of course we will! The Bruins fan didn't care when they were making a standing ovation for Chara's hit on Pac last year. Poor Chara, you think I'm gonna cry? Karma's a *****. Deal with it.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

This punk needs a savage beat down. Hopefully some enforcer will just grab him one day and ragdoll the hell out of him.

Claimed Off Waivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is what Gauthier does not understand.

This is what the fans of Gauthier do not understand.

The NHL is inconsistent. Marchand's hit was technically illegal. It was a gutless play. Not responding to the Marchand hit by the Canadiens was equally as gutless.

Its a damned shame to watch things like that happen. The Canadiens cannot allow **** like this to happen and need to take care of business on the ice and tell the NHL and Shanahan to go **** themselves.

White cannot fight every player on every team. He needs help.

Until then, get used to seeing Marchand trying to injure Emelin and then in the 3rd, beat down on one of our best players.....Cole.....without anyone doing anything about it.

Pathetic. And gutless on Gauthier's part for allowing this to happen.
This.

We got a pp out of it. The potential for AE to get injured was far more damaging to us than them. And the fact that, the league aside, once more we prove to everyone we will not stand up for each other and you essentially have carte blanche to try and take our guys out.

I noticed PK laying into Marchand in the 3rd at least. But seriously embarrassing again when everyone else on the ice at the time just drifts away. Like later when Thornton leveled Emelin, everyone just looks sad-face to the ref, do nothing, pretend it didn't happen.

I'm not for a team of thugs. But I want to see the team stand up for each other and let other teams know this will not be tolerated. Those of you who watched us change the game by eradicating the Flyers shameful joke of a 'dynasty' in the mid 70's will know what this means. Even when Price covers up, we straighten up and allow anyone who wants to skate up to him, get right in his grill, stand over him. Other teams almost never allow this. It is a small thing maybe, and changing a bit with Emelin, Gorges, PK; but goes on far too often.

Oddly enough Gionta is pretty good at this, despite his stature.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
This.

We got a pp out of it. The potential for AE to get injured was far more damaging to us than them. And the fact that, the league aside, once more we prove to everyone we will not stand up for each other and you essentially have carte blanche to try and take our guys out.

I noticed PK laying into Marchand in the 3rd at least. But seriously embarrassing again when everyone else on the ice at the time just drifts away. Like later when Thornton leveled Emelin, everyone just looks sad-face to the ref, do nothing, pretend it didn't happen.

I'm not for a team of thugs. But I want to see the team stand up for each other and let other teams know this will not be tolerated. Those of you who watched us change the game by eradicating the Flyers shameful joke of a 'dynasty' in the mid 70's will know what this means. Even when Price covers up, we straighten up and allow anyone who wants to skate up to him, get right in his grill, stand over him. Other teams almost never allow this. It is a small thing maybe, and changing a bit with Emelin, Gorges, PK; but goes on far too often.

Oddly enough Gionta is pretty good at this, despite his stature.
Part of me (the one that is constantly filled with bloodlust and vengence) agrees with you, but I've got to tell you I'm not sure that will work either. Having tough guys that respond when the going gets dirty around didn't save Savard. It didn't save Crosby. It didn't save Horton. And I'm not sure it'll save Emelin or Subban or {insert Canadien here}. And here's why....

Someone else above pointed it out, although I doubt he'll draw the same conclusions I will from it. The fact of the matter is that officiating in the NHL has done nothing but get worse - more inconsistent and more dangerous (for the players) - year after year. This is not solely on the head of the NHL officials - there are other reasons including the recent retirement of a number of the more experienced officials, an increase in the speed of the game, and increase in the number of people looking to 'sell' infractions and some baffling rule changes that leave the door wide open for abuse - but some of it falls on their shoulders as well. You have games like last night where the officials clearly were calling everything and then suddenly put away their whistles - as if by mutual consent they "didn't want to affect the outcome of the game." That excuse is nothing more than copious quantities of male bovine excrement in my opinion, but that's a rant for another day.

Back to the real topic - why building a rough and ready team won't work. Well it's the inconsistent rules. With one ref, if you jump the little punk that just low bridged your big hitting defneseman they'll say "payback" and carry on as if they were normal. With another you'll wind up with five and a game for instigating. So what do you do? Jump the guy and force your team to play down possibly two roster players for the rest of the night (to say nothing of the long penalty kill they'll have to manage). Complain to the ref? Some refs will listen, some will dismiss you outright, and some will be insulted by your attempts to tell them how to do their job. Come back later and clobber the guy? Some refs will let that slide (see Thronton last night). Others will call you on it.

It extends to all aspects of the game. What is hooking? Tripping? Interference? Goaltender interference? Roughing? Ref's have to make judgement calls night in and night out. And each one of them has different judgement. So you wind up with a new set of rules every game you play the season. That's not fair to anyone.

The NHL needs to get its act together. The rampant head injuries this season is stark proof of this. The reason why the guys are getting concussions is because there's no clear defined rules on hitting. It calls for the referee's judgement. It calls for Shanny's judgement. That's not a good solution. A good solution would be to revamp the rule book. Toss away most of the judgement calls a ref is asked to make during a game and replace it with clearly defined criteria. High sticking has a simple definition. Too many men has a simple definition. Over the glass delay of game has a simple definition. Interference, goaltender interference, roughing and tripping do not. Which of those two groups is miscalled more often?

Once that's done then we can tell our players what they can and can't do. Until then it's a guessing game with potentially dire consequences for the team.

idk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
Quote:
@NHLShanahan
... check by Marchand was delivered to the upper thigh/hip and not the knee area. We don't like it, but not SD.
That makes me feel a bit better.

The Gal Pals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
holyhabs87

Oh God. If you don't like it Shanny why don't you do something about it?

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
S Bah

It certainly is clear that there are different standards of penalties given the Bruins,most likely due to the fact the Campbell's,Colie & Gregory the Bruin scrapyard dog are related. Colie Campbell is Shanahan's boss and the Bruin's owner is the head of the leagues owner's Assn.So what does that say about things changing in the next decade,pick another sport if fair rulings is something you expect.It's as simple as a pimple get rid of the guys at the top of that food chain.Sanction given!

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Nobody was hurt.

Go figure.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
gump

it actually wasn't even a 2 minute penalty

44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

Funny to see people say it wasn't that bad a hit. Emelin could have bent his knee ackwardly and then you tell me if that hit was bad or not. Of course, that didn't happen but it was a DANGEROUS hit.

Punishing based on result, not based on the act itself, is stupid. But I didn't expect anything better from the NHL, especially when the offender is a Bruin.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Casque de Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Marchand, the rat, thinks that the Mtl fans are classless...
Right. The kid's an obvious little d0uche. Him talking class is like Ronald Mcdonald talking french cuisine.

Le Casque de Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Listen, when you just serve a suspension for the same hit, you're justification loses a little traction. This isn't a first time offense, he's lucky Emelin didn't get hurt.

So we wait until next time, when he does hurt a player with a cheap hit and then we'll see the reactions. If the league punished players for dirty hits, even without injury, it would be better off. There is no room for clipping or kneeing, not at any point.

If that was a player from Montreal, I'd be *****ing as well. I hate the Subban slew-foots as much as the Marchand clipping incidentes.
It is obvious that you are emotional about this, but the league is not.

I am not saying it is right, I am just saying that is the NHL. You love it for what it is, but it has an ugly side that comes with it.

When you marry a woman, you get all the stuff you like but you also marry her faults and shortcomings.

That is just the way it is.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimed Off Waivers View Post
This punk needs a savage beat down. Hopefully some enforcer will just grab him one day and ragdoll the hell out of him.
I wish Ryan White had gone after him, would've been beautiful to see.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:11 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I wish Ryan White had gone after him, would've been beautiful to see.
Bad idea. Then thornton, mcquaid, lucic etc. could have gone after Subban. You don't send fighters after non-fighters. Especially not when the other team has about 5x as many fighters as you do.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
of course not. he's on the bruins
Sad but true. Bruins getting away with too much again. And I hate Marchand. Hope he gets a taste of his own medicine soon...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Bad idea. Then thornton, mcquaid, lucic etc. could have gone after Subban. You don't send fighters after non-fighters. Especially not when the other team has about 5x as many fighters as you do.
We may have to wait for our tough smurf Gallagher to beat him up. Bruins can't complain about a midget pounding on Marchand can they

googlymoogly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think the hit was that bad but that should have been irrelevant in the decision.
It's the type of hit that he throws that makes it wrong. He's done it before, he ducks to clip the knees, he almost did it to Subban yesterday as well. He was just suspended for it.
So, because of that, I think he should have been suspended. He clearly did not understand that ducking to clip the knees is bad. Letting him walk now will give him an even bigger green light. God knows this kid seems to have a peanut as a brain.
Its also the time of the hit. There was like 1 second left in the period. A useless and dangerous hit that could have injured a player. Imagine if it was Markov and we're in a playoffs race.

Also, Emelin was ready for the hit and prepare himself for a shoulder to shoulder hit and then rat face bends down to clip him in the knee.

He did it again on Subban later in the game.

Still stupid that because there's no injury, he's not suspended. He's clearly a recidivist.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Catch-22

A filthy hit by a filthy player.

Last edited by Catch-22: 02-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote