HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs & Oilers close to "deal"

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Habsurd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Ok... But spare parts don't equate to a 3 time all-star, Vezina Hart winning goalie in my books, or very many others.

Theo is not playing so hot (as Theo bashers easily let us know all year)
However I am willing to give him a playoff run fight to see if he's got it in him to perform this year...

Huet first off has been a stellar back up. We already have a promising backup in Danis...

On the forward lines, we are developing a MEAN bunch of forwards... We have Kovalev who is one of the most talented players in the world... Mr. Clutch (who is struggling a bit) in Zednik, Captain Courageous in Koivu (who doesn't ever quit)
A sniping Michael Ryder, A playmaking Ribeiro (who yes, MAY be a weak link due to his lack of a complete game) A Big strong Bonk, and Bulis, A gritty Begin, A defensive Stalwart Sundstrom, and promising up and comers in Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Murray, Higgins, Chipchura, LaPierre, Ferland, heck even Urquhart...

Defensively we could be better, however we're good for now, and being that it is the place we could use the most improvement... IMO a good draft pick changes our tune there as well...

There is no point for trading a star player for little/no return. It just pisses on us, the fans.
What happened to all my text?????

Old
01-17-2006, 10:58 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd
2nd- Zednik is streaky and has not impressed me much over the last 2 seasons. "Clutch"......A few timely goals....sure.... but i'll believe it if he does it consistently. (Where was he vs Tampa ? and Carolina the play off before ? )
Are you joking? Yeah, he should have been better versus Carolina you're right.

I guess it had nothing to do with Kyle McLaren viciously elbowing him in the face and knocking him out of the playoffs after he had dominated the Bruins.

Old
01-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Are you joking? Yeah, he should have been better versus Carolina you're right.

I guess it had nothing to do with Kyle McLaren viciously elbowing him in the face and knocking him out of the playoffs after he had dominated the Bruins.
Tough to argue that one!! Glad your memory is better than mine! Having said that, I'm not sure Zed has ever approached his play vs Bos since. As much as i'd like to believe he'llbreak out again, i'll believe it when i see it. (maybe BG and Carb can get him going).

Old
01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
1st- Stoll and Moreau are no where near "spare parts".....Every team in the league would love to have these guys. Plus....their salaries are low.....meaning triple their value in this new nhl.

2nd- Zednik is streaky and has not impressed me much over the last 2 seasons. "Clutch"......A few timely goals....sure.... but i'll believe it if he does it consistently. (Where was he vs Tampa ? and Carolina the play off before ? )

3rd- Bonk does NOT play big or strong OR physical.

4th- Sundstrom does not play physical....but he is a good defesive player.

5th- "Promising " players don't help us make the playoffs......they are simply that: promising. (I would put Higgs above this category). (Forget about Urquart).

Having said all this, i don't expect BG to make atrade w out a decent goalie coming our way......but as for EDMNTN.....Stoll + Moreau (or Hemsky or Smyth) are guys that i find useful.
Great post BTW, however I do have to disagree

Well, I guess Stoll and Moreau are a bit more than spare parts...However they will not improve our team at all if we are dealing the face of the franchise for what are average/below average players at best.

Moreau has blazing speed sure, and has had a few eye opening moments in his career... But he's not too different than Jan Bulis, who has blazing speed himself, and has opened a few eyes here and there as well.

Personally I believe Stoll has no part on our team... He's a decent center with SOME upside (not what some are making it out to be) but Higgins is not that far off to becoming a Stoll type of layer, and is younger with MORE upside than Jarrett can boast.

Zednik is 'Clutch'. While he can't stop the express from coming in to town (aka Tampa Bay, or a bad stretch of games)... He elevates his game come stretch time, and beyond (he was hot during BOTH Boston series, and down the stretch both those years, not even to mention during Washington's cup run before he even came here). There are limits, of course (even the greatest player to have ever played the game couldn't stop us from steamrolling through his team when we last won the big one)... I'll take a guy who can get hot and win a series essentially on his own back ANY DAY of the week. 'Cause you gotta figure, if we had 4 of those kind of guys, it could lead to the promised land.

3rd- I would love to open the floor for anyone to say something that Bonk does do positively in this forum. Everyone is so down on the guy... Personally I w2as happy we picked up Radek (still am) and I KNOW he will be a key piece of our playoff drive (as he is already turning the corner) People have to realize the Radek we have seen to date, is a shroud of the old Radek... He has been battling an aggravated, then a re-aggravated groin injury (one of the more painful injuries in the game). Since his 2nd return, he has been nothing but decent, and a solid contributor to our better fortunes as of late. Yes, he **** the bed in the first dozen games, but he is adding a much better element than JJ ever did (and I dont mean to disrespect Joey Juneau on that, it's just the truth). Since game one, I have seen more offensive awareness from that third line than I ever saw last year... And furthermore, I know exactly what Radek can do against the big boys when he comes down to it.. He shuts down the big boys, and to be quite frank, I am glad we have a shut down guy with a bit of talent offensively for a change.

We do agree with Sunny

And to your final point, I agree they dont help win the cup in the time being, but trading them away doesn't help either. If you look at the previous cup champions within the past few years...
Tampa Bay - The key players were developed in Tampa.
NJ- That team has been developed from Jersey players
Colorado - They've done well with trades, however the nucleus of their attack is their own players (when they were champions, AKA Hejduk, Tanguay, Forsberg, Sakic)
Detroit- again, the nucleus comes from their own team's abilities.

Trades WONT win the championship... I believe all those teams used the trades as the last chip before going for the big one... (TB with Sydor, NJ with Lemieux/Stevens, Colorado with their big deadline deals, Detroit with Hasek, or Fetisov)...

We as the habs, must concentrate on building a nucleus that potentially can become contenders... I for one, believe wholeheartedly still in the system originally implemented by Andre Savard at the start of his helm... He limited his trades, and only went for future value at that time, building a very solid nucleus of prospects, which are NOW just coming in to their zone. We have only seen the VERY tip of the iceberg of these guys talent...

And to leave my post with a message showing my point... I live in leaf land, so many of my friends are leaf fans... I have watched their team try for the big deal that will put them over the top... and no matter who they bring in to town IT NEVER HAPPENS! why? no solid nucleus... The team was built incorrectly. However now looking back on the guys they have traded in deals trying to go for it...
guys like (just off the top of my head):
Jason Smith
Steve Sullivan
Ric Jackman
Fredrik Modin
Brad Boyes
Alyn McCauley (whom I think they miss the most)

just to name a few... IMO they would be MUCH closer to winning with that team than the one they have now... And I realize Leaf fans can take this to offense, but believe me no offense is meant by my post, just my honest opinion.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Habsurd

To Ghost 1 : Stoll has 42 pts in 46 g's. That is Very good offense i'd say....especly for a 24 yr old. Higgins has shown some brilliant flashes at times which is extremely encouraging but he's nowhere Near Stolls' level right now. (I tend to use the "believe it when i see it" viewpoint and i really haven't seen much offense from Higs yet....but hopefully). And re Stoll, don't forget his very good 2 way play as well, he's very well rounded.

Bulis has great skills and is starting to put it together lately! Moreau adds the same but w a very physical AND tough game as well. Bulis can prob check more effectively but Mor can grind and tough it out better IMO. (Now wouldn't you like to see Both in Mtl ?!)

Hope you're right about Zed. RE Bonk : I agree about his injuries really hindering him.....i've posted that last week.....but again, until i See him playing strong and well i'll reserve judgment, though i too have noticed his real improvement since his return and i've definately not given up on him yet.

Re our young prospects, i never suggested trading them, though we may have to trade one at some point soon in order to get what we "need" ( vs what "we" especially as fans "want" from other teams!). Myself, i'd never trade Perez, Higs or Komisarek. They are exactly the kinds of building blocks that you're talking about.The ONLY time i'd consider it is if it is in an 'obviously' Even trade where Perez is traded for a stud young defensive prospect, just as Per is a stud offensive prospect.....( i haven't followed hockey like i useed to, so no such trade comes to mind off hand).

Yes our D could use some help, but if they can stay healthy, and the forwds helps them out properly i think we'll be ok....though ok may not be enuf in the playoffs! (Too bad Dandy hasn't worked out as srongly as hoped for).

More than anything, IMO we need another good faceoff guy bec Koivu can't do it all by himself AND we still need some "stronger" grinders like Moreau for eg. We've never really replaced Stevenson and Thornton imo ! Murray is good but he's a middle weight. We need a bigger,stronger player or two yet.....though i really like Ferland, but he's still very inexperienced for now.

I'm a 1 finger typer so these posts tonite have taken Forever. Cheers!

Last edited by Habsurd: 01-18-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old
01-18-2006, 01:47 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:

The series against Carolina, Zednik was out because of the elbow of McLaren.

I like to think that if Zednik was there for that series, the Habs would have come out on top in the end. That series was very close, and if Zednik had been there, he could have contributed very much. That's just my opinion, but I believe that Zednik would have provided the extra scoring to avoid at least 1 overtime or 1 goal game in that series, to give the Habs the edge.

Old
01-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Taupy

I like BG, I'm sure he's trying to get the best return out of Vancouver/Edmonton/Colorado.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
predz

What's up with all that Schremp bashing? anybody realise the kid is on pace to do 213 points. Thats 50 points more then Crosby did last year..... I could really see him winged by Latendresse and Kovalev.....

Old
01-18-2006, 11:31 AM
gars59

Quote:
Originally Posted by predz
What's up with all that Schremp bashing? anybody realise the kid is on pace to do 213 points. Thats 50 points more then Crosby did last year..... I could really see him winged by Latendresse and Kovalev.....
crosby has 17
schremp 19

locke
66-63-88-151

and the chl have adopt nhl rules .... so more goal ....

Old
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Matrix

Quote:
This has to do, I think, with his poor showing at the WJC. Wasn't impressed at all, though even the first or second choice (Kessel) of this coming draft did not impress me as well.

Old
01-18-2006, 11:47 AM
predz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59
crosby has 17
schremp 19

locke
66-63-88-151

and the chl have adopt nhl rules .... so more goal ....
You realise that nobody ever did more then 192 points in the OHL (Bobby Smith 1978). From what I know hockey in the 80's was more offensive then it is now. I am not comparing to Crosby, I am just saying he is in another league then Ribeiro...

And by the way

Schremp 6'0''
Locke 5'8''

Old
01-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Technically he's on pace for 171 points (which is still fabulous, of course), but I don't see him as a centre in the NHL. Anyway, point is, he's a prospect. A good one, but not one of those real blue-chip guys. Any team would love to have him in their prospect pool, but it still doesn't mean you trade a #1 NHL goalie for him. (And the proposed deal amounts to just him anyway, since the rest of the inclusions are pretty useless to us). I don't think there's much Schremp bashing going on, just a recognition that his name alone isn't enough to salvage this silly rumour.

Old
01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
it's only because he plays with Segei Kostytsyn

Closed Thread